• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things you want to see done in Sun and Moon

But, you know, IVs actually male breeding worthwhile outside of egg moves and make every pokemon distinguishable from the other.

Don't you think it's cool that every piplup in existence is different from than the other? I think so!

But why does it matter that every Piplup is different from the others when only specific "perfect" ones with 31 IVs are worth using competitively? They should find a way to add variety to Pokemon of the same species that doesn't render 99% of them "imperfect" and unfit for competitive battles.

But why does it matter that every Piplup is different from the others when only specific "perfect" ones with 31 IVs are worth using competitively? They should find a way to add variety to Pokemon of the same species that doesn't render 99% of them "imperfect" and unfit for competitive battles.
Ah yes, because we all know that pokemon only exists for competitive battling....

*Sigh*

I'm just giving my opinion on the matter.

IVs should be replaced by a system that would assign a "skill" to the player, boosting two fixed stats for any Pokémon they train. This would encourage interacting with other players to get more than two stats boosted. To streamline this process, an online co-op feature would allow players to train together rather than trade.

For more variety of individual Pokemon species, I would like to see visual differences. Maybe some color options that aren't rare like shinies. Or maybe more gender differences. Personally I'd like something more drastic like meowstic's genders. But really, animals come in various shades and colors, why can't Pokemon? Even if it's just like "my eevee is dark brown, and yours is more golden-brown! Cool" that would be all right.

Yes, but IVs still make breeding worth it. I'm not trying to sound like the devil's minion here, but IVs were gone, then the whole point of breeding would just be egg moves and nature. With IVs we need to actually put effort in it, and gen 6 improved the breeding mechanics. Just my thoughts....

I personally think Egg Moves and Natures are plenty big enough reason for breeding. I agree that IVs should just be trashed. It does nothing but say "every Pokemon that you haven't gotten through several hours of difficult breeding is inferior and weak." IVs hurt casual players. Actually, IVs hurt any player who doesn't have time for advanced breeding. It's ridiculous. Getting rid of IVs would make the system for Pokemon much more streamlined and accessible to players of ALL levels, not just knowledgeable pros.

No it doesn't. No one is forcing you to have a 31 iv team. You can still win matches with "imperfect" iv mons.
Not according to Smogon, which everyone seems to follow. You'd have to use banned move sets and stuff in order to get around that imperfection. The fact that Smogon is so popular basically makes having mostly perfect IVs a huge deal. Personally, I'd like to IVs re-purposed rather than removed. Maybe they shouldn't be be so important to stat growth as they are, but rather have other factors. Hidden Power can be one thing, but i'd like to see IVs have more impact than that.

The only IV that really matters is speed. Its not like 2 or 3 extra attack or defense is going to consistently make a large difference over the long run.

On the posts above talking about IVs being removed. I would gladly welcome the change. Even though generation 6 made it easier for us to get 31 IV Pokémon, it still is somewhat of a tedious procedure. My plate has been pretty full lately and I find myself not having the time to dedicate to breeding perfect Pokémon. Like @Zeb said, natures, EVs, abilities, and movesets still add variety to a Pokémon. If IVs were removed I imagine Hidden Power could probably gain its type from whatever characteristic the Pokémon has, like if a Pokémon had the characteristic "Sturdy body" then the Pokémon's Hidden Power type could probably be Steel.
For more variety of individual Pokemon species, I would like to see visual differences. Maybe some color options that aren't rare like shinies. Or maybe more gender differences. Personally I'd like something more drastic like meowstic's genders. But really, animals come in various shades and colors, why can't Pokemon? Even if it's just like "my eevee is dark brown, and yours is more golden-brown! Cool" that would be all right.

I really like this idea. You know what else they could implement in the next gen games? Does anyone remember how in Pokémon Stadium 1 and 2 if Pokémon were transferred with nicknames they had a chance of turning into another color? Why not bring this feature back in the next generation games. I think it would be pretty neat.

On the posts above talking about IVs being removed. I would gladly welcome the change. Even though generation 6 made it easier for us to get 31 IV Pokémon, it still is somewhat of a tedious procedure. My plate has been pretty full lately and I find myself not having the time to dedicate to breeding perfect Pokémon. Like @Zeb said, natures, EVs, abilities, and movesets still add variety to a Pokémon. If IVs were removed I imagine Hidden Power could probably gain its type from whatever characteristic the Pokémon has, like if a Pokémon had the characteristic "Sturdy body" then the Pokémon's Hidden Power type could probably be Steel.

Well those characteristics you say it could use are currently determined by IVs. So something with a max HP IV will have "Likes to take siestas" or max Attack is "Likes to thrash about" or max Speed is "Alert to sounds" for example.

If they were to remove IVs, the way those characteristics are determined would need to be changed/reformatted to be determined another way too. I'm no programmer so I won't pretend that would be easy because I don't know, but it doesn't sound the most complex thing for someone smart to do.

Hidden Power becoming completely random sounds annoying for in-game battling, but I suppose you'd just need to keep resetting/hatching to get the one you want which if there's only 18 types shouldn't take forever. But it's not like everything needs Hidden Power anyway.

Changing IVs and Hidden Power also means they can add in Hidden Power Fairy. Which could be an interesting change to the metagame. Maybe. Probably not. We'll see. I guess. :p

I really like this idea. You know what else they could implement in the next gen games? Does anyone remember how in Pokémon Stadium 1 and 2 if Pokémon were transferred with nicknames they had a chance of turning into another color? Why not bring this feature back in the next generation games. I think it would be pretty neat.

Maybe even take that stadium idea one step further. Instead of whether or not it has a nickname, it could be slightly different depending on what region its coding says it's from. That could make each region feel more unique as well, and like Pokemon adapt to certain environments in small ways.

I would like online battles to have a different setting rather than a gray room with a fake crowd, such as a randomly selected field that is grassy or rocky, etc and make the stadium it is in look more realistic. It should't even impact the battle, but it would just be nice to see something that looks better when you do an online battle.

No it doesn't. No one is forcing you to have a 31 iv team. You can still win matches with "imperfect" iv mons.

Please. If someone wants to be be viable in any competitive match, having IVs at 31 (or at least really damn close) is essential.

And before you say that competitive battling isn't important: it doesn't matter. It would be a better and more open competitive community for more players if the learning curve and huge amount of time needed for advanced breeding and training techniques (such as IVs) weren't so high. Getting rid of IVs would make things easier for everybody, and Pokemon would still be just as special. They don't need IVs to set them apart.

I would like online battles to have a different setting rather than a gray room with a fake crowd, such as a randomly selected field that is grassy or rocky, etc and make the stadium it is in look more realistic. It should't even impact the battle, but it would just be nice to see something that looks better when you do an online battle.
This feels like a nice idea which would make online battling refreshing (at least visually), but I feel like it should affect the battle, a little. I'm not saying cut the speed of anything not ice type on an ice field or anything, but it would technically change the surroundings, so I feel like it would determine what Nature Power would turn into, and what bonus effect Secret Power has. Either have players vote on the field at the start of the battle or just randomise it each time.

This feels like a nice idea which would make online battling refreshing (at least visually), but I feel like it should affect the battle, a little. I'm not saying cut the speed of anything not ice type on an ice field or anything, but it would technically change the surroundings, so I feel like it would determine what Nature Power would turn into, and what bonus effect Secret Power has. Either have players vote on the field at the start of the battle or just randomise it each time.

I could see different arenas (that aren't just cosmetic) being a new battle mode for online, but not as inclusions within regular battling modes that we have. Moves like the Terrains and weather strategies achieve a similar result with moves like Nature Power already and giving them auto, without need a certain Pokemon, move or ability on your team to have the advantage seems a bit skewed.

Purely cosmetic backgrounds for online I think are also a good idea though. But they seem to like making it look like an actual sports-esque arena which I guess is understandable with the competitive angle it's meant to be rather than traversing a region.

Not according to Smogon, which everyone seems to follow. You'd have to use banned move sets and stuff in order to get around that imperfection. The fact that Smogon is so popular basically makes having mostly perfect IVs a huge deal. Personally, I'd like to IVs re-purposed rather than removed. Maybe they shouldn't be be so important to stat growth as they are, but rather have other factors. Hidden Power can be one thing, but i'd like to see IVs have more impact than that.
Ah yes, because we all know that smogon is an official resource right?

But whatever, to each their own. If you guys insist on wanting ivs to be gone then fine, i don't care. But seriously, even after gen 6 tweaked drastically the breeding mechanics, people still complain about ivs. Wow, just... wow.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but I'd like some sort of mode in the post-game battle tower equivalent that allows "ubers" like Mewtwo, Rayquaza, etc. to be used, like in Stadium's Prime Cup (obviously, your opponents could use them as well). It'd be nice to have something to do with them.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but I'd like some sort of mode in the post-game battle tower equivalent that allows "ubers" like Mewtwo, Rayquaza, etc. to be used, like in Stadium's Prime Cup (obviously, your opponents could use them as well). It'd be nice to have something to do with them.
This!

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom