• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trainer Customization

Character customisation is definitely coming. The hats and clothes looked to... plain to be permanent.

I just think the skin change is a horrid idea... I don't care about the race of the PC...

clothing and hair yes skin? absolutely not

I'm sorry, but if anything on this topic is racist, it's that.

Forcing all players to keep skin tone while changing other aspects is far more racist than allowing it. Not allowing skin tone change with customization is absurd.

I just think the skin change is a horrid idea... I don't care about the race of the PC...

clothing and hair yes skin? absolutely not

I'm sorry, but if anything on this topic is racist, it's that.

Forcing all players to keep skin tone while changing other aspects is far more racist than allowing it. Not allowing skin tone change with customization is absurd.

No it's not! look at games like GTAL: San Andres... the character CJ you could change his clothing, hair heck you could make him fat or skinny but you could not change his race... so is Rockstar racist for that?

But it's not racist... the PC might be a blank slate really but really skin iss a VERY touchy issue let's avoid it. skin customisation doesn't fit with pokemon

Customization doesn't suit main handheld games at all. Even if the PC is a blank slate, they're still not you. This really isn't The Sims, or Harvest Moon: A New Beginning. If you want customization in Pokemon, play PBR.

I don't want customizations! I love the designs of each of the characters excluding Ethan and Lyra! And anyway technically the characters are asian? So race shouldn't be an issue. But I would have no problem playing as any character Sugimori designs.

Customization doesn't suit main handheld games at all

Yes it does. Dragon Quest 9 had and it was awesome.

I don't want customizations! I love the designs of each of the characters excluding Ethan and Lyra! And anyway technically the characters are asian? So race shouldn't be an issue. But I would have no problem playing as any character Sugimori designs.

If you don't want customization, just don't customize your character. There would certainly be a default character design (probably the ones we saw in the video yesterday).

A lot of people. No, most of the players do want customization. Don't be selfish.

If you don't want customization, just don't customize your character. There would certainly be a default character design (probably the ones we saw in the video yesterday).

A lot of people. No, most of the players do want customization. Don't be selfish.[/FONT]

That's what I'll do. But I still would prefer one character. Maybe i'm a pokeluddite...

Last edited:
No it's not! look at games like GTAL: San Andres... the character CJ you could change his clothing, hair heck you could make him fat or skinny but you could not change his race... so is Rockstar racist for that?

But it's not racist... the PC might be a blank slate really but really skin iss a VERY touchy issue let's avoid it. skin customisation doesn't fit with pokemon

You also can't change CJ's name, because CJ isn't a blank slate, he has his own personality and character in game. No PC in any Pokemon game has either of those.

I fail to see what's so horrifyingly bad about being able to change the skin color of the PC, other than it's apparently a really bad idea. Why is it such a bad idea? The fact that the PC character is always a blank slate, makes it seem as though you're supposed to be playing as yourself, so why not let people at least be able to make it look like themselves. If you want to play as the PC, then just pick the default outfit, it's really that simple.

Right then - the trainer customizations should be kept to a reasonable degree so that it doesn't resemble the Sims.

Now everyone's happy.

I have to say that I'm not a fan of the new male character, I may just have to switch genders for this one if there are no customizations.

Just a change of clothes and bag are enough to start. This game is already taking on enough with the 3D graphics and 700+ Pokemon, we don't want to push too much new stuff or we'll lose some qualities in the game.

Character customization isn't "too much stuff". Some 3D models are not going to take much space from the cartridge.

Who hopes you can make your eyes and hair unnatural colors totally want red eyes and white hair

I personally would love the ability to customize my trainer. When I play the game, I don't play as an observer outside of the window looking in. Pokemon has always been one of those games that absorb you into the world to the point where you almost feel like you're actually there (emphasis on almost). Adding customization would just add even more to that feeling. That's what Game Freak wants when they make the games. They want the world to feel immersive. Adding customization would only make that stronger.

As much as I'd adore some degree of character customization, I could totally see myself rolling with the default female with little if any modification.
Honestly, her fashion sense and color scheme are right up my alley.

Who hopes you can make your eyes and hair unnatural colors totally want red eyes and white hair
You want to be an albino?
That's cool bro, just be sure to stay out of the sun.

Customization would likely not be too in depth and be more akin to editting a Mii or xBox avatar. I wouldn't expect anything close to Animal Crossing where you could create your own clothing. Just a few things you get gifted/can buy on your trip.

Right then - the trainer customizations should be kept to a reasonable degree so that it doesn't resemble the Sims.

Now everyone's happy.

thats my entire point... changing skin color is just to much... the PC should stay the race they are in the artwork

Customization would likely not be too in depth and be more akin to editting a Mii or xBox avatar. I wouldn't expect anything close to Animal Crossing where you could create your own clothing. Just a few things you get gifted/can buy on your trip.

I'm actually okay with that I like the Xbox avatar maker. I'm not saying give us the customization of say sky rim where I can decide how big my ear lobes are. But let me choose from height, maybe weight, skin, hair, hair and eye color, maybe eye shape, and of course gender. And then give me clothes to collect through out the story.

As for the CJ argument, CJ also talked. Our trainers are mute for a reason, because they're suppose to be us. I don't see what the fuss is about playing yourself in a world like pokemons is going to be fun. The immersion capabilities will be incredible this go around if they allow it.

I don't understand why some people don't want skin colour. The fact that all of the protagonists have been white, in every medium, is a little racist, IMO, and I feel bad for the fans who aren't white.

Now everyone's happy.

thats my entire point... changing skin color is just to much... the PC should stay the race they are in the artwork

There aren't that many races/skin colours to choose from; I don't see how it's "too much". Honestly, all I want is hair, skin & eyes (on top of gender, obv.). The artwork could just reflect the default design.

I don't understand why some people don't want skin colour. The fact that all of the protagonists have been white, in every medium, is a little racist, IMO, and I feel bad for the fans who aren't white.

Now everyone's happy.

There aren't that many races/skin colours to choose from; I don't see how it's "too much". Honestly, all I want is hair, skin & eyes (on top of gender, obv.). The artwork could just reflect the default design.

I also imagine there'd be around 3 or 4 per designed parent models depending on your skin color choice.

Now everyone's happy.

actuality the only PC's that caan be considered 100% white are Hilda/Hilbert and Rosa/Nate... the rest would logically be Japanese

EDIT: think we can get a Mod to ban the skin change issue? before it gets out of hand? I find it kinda offensive... if the PC was hispanic or black I say it wiuld be a bigger issue... but that's my opinion...

Back
Top Bottom