• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

TV Anime Pocket Monsters Original Soundtrack Best 1997 - 2010 Vol. 2

Re: Even more BGM is being released

Them not using old music anymore for Best Wishes! fits with what's going on here, and vice versa. I dunno which thing was planned first.

In any case, YES! I'm planning on getting THIS volume first. There are many nice game music pieces, but for me, Pokemon BGM ranks high among soundtracks mainly for the non-game music.

Tears After the Cloudy Weather being confirmed for this CD = Auto-get.

There's already the Pokemon Sound Anime Collection that has that one.

Dogasu said:
I'm also sure there will be pieces that haven't been released yet even after this second set comes out. There's just so much unreleased background music out there that I find it hard to believe that they'd be able to fit it all in a two disc set. Especially since "Volume 2" is bound to recycle some Kanto pieces that have already been released.

You really think so? I haven't watched that many Japanese episodes (compared to the hundreds there are), but if specifically counting the TV-only background music that isn't from the games, to me it sounds believable that there are 100+ tracks to release. (IMO, having over 100+ tracks means they mean to release 110-140 tracks.) But that's because many pieces I thought came from the TV series actually came from movies (and of those pieces, not all of them were released on movie soundtracks), meaning they probably won't be on this CD set.

All anime-only tracks eh? Anyways, still fascinating. I wish I could buy it.

Isn't that the one that includes commentary from the Japanese VAs after every track? If it is, no thanks.

Yeah...

And if you're getting Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 of these tracks, getting that Sound Anime Collection won't really be necessary. (Well, there's the first Japanese opening theme and the third ending theme, but... yeah.)

And everything will be remastered with this new set coming in February anyway.

But I was just mentioning the Sound Anime Collection since that track you mentioned is on a CD.

Them not using old music anymore for Best Wishes!

Are you sure about this? I remember I saw people post that the only BGM used in Best Wishes is Black/White games music and Movie 13 music... is that right? they didn't use even ONE BGM in all aired eps so far that wasn't from BW/M13 ?
I watched all eps but I can't remember myself if I heard any familiar stuff there or not...
If that's right, I wonder if that means they decided to stop using it permamently... hmmm...

I'm still not sure if Volume 1 really did include -all- game music that was in the anime... it seems hard to believe that in all 4 gens we had only these 88 tracks adapted from the games
I also doubt Vol 2 really will include all the anime-only music...
I do hope they'll release all the BGM eventually... there's also all the movies BGM which is used in the show too... I doubt this will be a truly complete release unless we get even more releases after Vol 2

Are you sure about this? I remember I saw people post that the only BGM used in Best Wishes is Black/White games music and Movie 13 music... is that right? they didn't use even ONE BGM in all aired eps so far that wasn't from BW/M13 ?

That's what I'd been hearing... I'll check up on that...

I'm still not sure if Volume 1 really did include -all- game music that was in the anime... it seems hard to believe that in all 4 gens we had only these 88 tracks adapted from the games

Not including the movie versions of game pieces, I'd think so. Personally, I can't think of any TV-made versions of game pieces through D&P that aren't on this list, and I know quite a few of those pieces that've only been heard in the Japanese version.

Plus, no one has mentioned a TV version of a game piece that hasn't been released.

Combined with the idea that 88 is a big number, and the fact that the people releasing the CD actually said this was all... I really do believe that was all the adaptations of game music that originated in the TV show.

I also doubt Vol 2 really will include all the anime-only music...

From the TV show (not the movies), I think it will.

If you don't count movies and mini-movies, and you don't count game music... I'd say they will.

I do hope they'll release all the BGM eventually... there's also all the movies BGM which is used in the show too... I doubt this will be a truly complete release unless we get even more releases after Vol 2

Yeah, I do hope they do this for the movies.

That's what I'd been hearing... I'll check up on that...

I wonder if that could mean anything for the dub... maybe if it's a truly new beginning with BGM in the Japanese version, they might consider just keeping it all from now on?... (yeah right... that probably will never happen)

So let's see if I got this right:
The Pokémon anime BGM can be categorized this way:
- Game music adapted for the TV show (complete collection of it released on Vol 1)
- Anime-only music made for the TV show (complete collection of it will be released on Vol 2)
- Game music adapted for the movies
- Anime-only music made for the movies

I doubt it'd be possible to release all Movie BGM on one two-disc set
They'll probably need at least 2 or 3 more releases to release all movie stuff too
Also, even then, it won't be a truly complete BGM collection, right? what's about all the "specials" and stuff? like, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the MD episodes use music adapted from the MD games and not from the main games? also, didn't some of the Ranger episodes (possibly even that 9 minutes short thing) use music from the Ranger games?
With so many episodes, movies, specials, etc... it's hard to know... I wish there was some complete listing of all BGM ever used in the anime, but apparently such thing doesn't exist

Anywayyyyyyy, I wonder if Vol 2 will include some sound effects too... I recently heard some of the released Sailor Moon BGM and they had a few long tracks that each contained tons of sound effects... I think this will be nice addition too, but of course real BGM is first priority...

I wonder if that could mean anything for the dub... maybe if it's a truly new beginning with BGM in the Japanese version, they might consider just keeping it all from now on?... (yeah right... that probably will never happen)

Yeah... I'm open for the idea that, to make things new, they'll keep all the Japanese BGM. But there's no guarantee, so I'm... iffy on that. I'd say it's a better chance than say, at the beginning of Sinnoh Leage Victors (whic is within Ash and Dawn's journeys in Sinnoh).

So let's see if I got this right:
The Pokémon anime BGM can be categorized this way:
- Game music adapted for the TV show (complete collection of it released on Vol 1)
- Anime-only music made for the TV show (complete collection of it will be released on Vol 2)
- Game music adapted for the movies
- Anime-only music made for the movies (and mini-movies, but, yeah)

Yeah.

I doubt it'd be possible to release all Movie BGM on one two-disc set
They'll probably need at least 2 or 3 more releases to release all movie stuff too

Yeah, that's true.

Also, even then, it won't be a truly complete BGM collection, right? what's about all the "specials" and stuff? like, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the MD episodes use music adapted from the MD games and not from the main games? also, didn't some of the Ranger episodes (possibly even that 9 minutes short thing) use music from the Ranger games?

......... ! :eek:

Oh snap, I forgot about that...

MAIN GAME-wise (Red, Green, Blue, Diamond, Pearl, etc.), all the tv versions of game music should be on Vol. 1.

With so many episodes, movies, specials, etc... it's hard to know... I wish there was some complete listing of all BGM ever used in the anime, but apparently such thing doesn't exist

Someone had made a list of all the BGM music used in each episode through some part of Johto, but not every series of Pokemon.

Anywayyyyyyy, I wonder if Vol 2 will include some sound effects too... I recently heard some of the released Sailor Moon BGM and they had a few long tracks that each contained tons of sound effects... I think this will be nice addition too, but of course real BGM is first priority...

I wouldn't mind that. Hopefully so. But yeah, I agree about the first priority thing.

Yeah... I'm open for the idea that, to make things new, they'll keep all the Japanese BGM. But there's no guarantee, so I'm... iffy on that. I'd say it's a better chance than say, at the beginning of Sinnoh Leage Victors (whic is within Ash and Dawn's journeys in Sinnoh).

Yeah, better not expect too much...

......... ! :eek:

Oh snap, I forgot about that...

MAIN GAME-wise (Red, Green, Blue, Diamond, Pearl, etc.), all the tv versions of game music should be on Vol. 1.

Well, I guess that means we need to add another category:
- Other music: BGM that was adapted from the MD games, BGM that was adapted from the Ranger eps, and some more BGM that possibly was used in some of the "specials" and non-regular episode/movie stuff...

So to release both movie music categories, they'd probably need 3 double CD releases... like, one for Movies 1-4, one for 5-8, one for 9-12
And that's assuming that each movie's BGM is around 30 tracks, which I don't actually know if right or wrong, but seems to be right for the DP movies according to their CD track listings on Dogasu's site
So maybe they can make a "Movie Music Collection" 3 volumes, and then one more "Special Music" release with anything left...

Someone had made a list of all the BGM music used in each episode through some part of Johto, but not every series of Pokemon.

Yeah, I know about that thread... I hope he'll continue updating it and eventually reach AG/DP too...
He might also want to replace his made up titles with the real titles after Vol 2 will be released, this way it'll also be easier to see what's still yet to be released from his list

I cannot believe this incredible turn of luck. I thought for sure the last set was all we were getting before the bigwigs decided to forget all about the old music again. Keep buying these CDs, folks! Miyazaki was telling the truth when he said better sales means more released BGM!
And hopefully they'll also keep providing us with the remaining M-numbers to fill in the gaps! (I'm probably the only one who cares about that, but... ;))

Anyway, I'd like to confirm that the last CD did NOT, in fact, include all the made-for-TV game arrangements.
One example is an early alternate of "Yatta ze!" (the Route 12 theme), which is used at the beginning of episode 24 and in episode 28 while Takeshi goes all celebrity-announcer on Yuki (Suzy) and Rokon (Vulpix). There might even be two alternates for this one besides the released version.
And then, "The Dreadful Koduck" (track 10 on the Sound Anime Collection) has an alternate as well, which can be heard in the Birth of Mewtwo radio drama, episode 2, as Dr. Fuji explains cloning to Sakaki. It also appears in a number of episodes.
There's even a piece from Johto that contains the melody from Gold and Silver's "Eye Contact! Suspicious Person 1", but that might not have been included simply because the CD compilers may have forgotten that it was based on a game composition. I know they were at least clumsy enough to list Johto's M17 as an arrangement of "Battle! Rival", when in fact it's based on the preceding track, "Rival Appears!"

Also, although I hate to burst everybody's bubble, there's a TON of original anime pieces, so many that (at least in Kanto's case) they dwarf the game arrangements by comparison... and even if you stretch the "more than 100 tracks" line as far as it will reasonably go, there's no way they can fit all of it on two discs. I know for a fact there's about 75 pieces from Kanto alone (give or take a handful that may turn out to just be sound effects), and that's just the UNRELEASED Kanto lineup!
Buuuut... this is definitely a light of hope. If they're kind enough to give us a volume 2, and this one also sells well, who's to say they won't put out a volume 3 (which if you don't count the movie music, probably could finish things up, all the way to Diamond and Pearl)?

Finally, here's a few of the tracks I hope this new set will have:

The guitar/orchestra instrumental arrangement of "OK!", played during many victory scenes. I think this is one we can all agree on.
Satoshi frees Yogirasu from its icy prison, in episode 263. It's a beautiful piece that conveys both a loss of hope and a second chance at life at the same time. That's difficult to do.
Life's Purpose, my personal name for the theme heard in Mewtwo Lives, when Satoshi throws Mewtwo into the lake to save its life. Another beautiful piece.
What Kazamatsuri calls The Shining Light, heard when Satoshi pulls himself out of the Rockets' pit using the parting gifts from Takeshi and Kasumi in episode 273, and a whole lot of other episodes (that's just the most memorable one I'm aware of).
A Cry From The Distant Past, my personal name for a piece used throughout the Birth of Mewtwo radio drama to represent the mystery behind Mew. The character Miyamoto tells Madame Boss that it had been picked up on a recording system deep in the jungle, as though the music were a part of nature itself. She herself calls it "country music", though it doesn't sound anything like what we Westerners call "country music". It has this wonderful, earthy, legendary sound to it, and the lead instrument is a haunting flute. I am DYING to have this one released, but as far as I know it never plays in the episodes, only in the radio drama. I could get lucky, though.

So there's no chance this release will include all the anime-only made for TV show BGM? too bad...
And as suspected that was NOT the truly COMPLETE collection of main game BGM... though probably very close to that
I really hope they'll release more CDs until they cover EVERYTHING... but I guess I should just say thanks we're even getting this Vol 2 XD

The first one didn't have all the TV versions of game music? Aw fudgesicles...

In any case, I'm buying that game CD set someday, hopefully, but before that, I'm getting Mr. Anime-Only-Set.

What I definitely expect to be on there:
- All the Eyecatch music (through D&P, of course)
- All the Instrumentals of TV opening and ending songs
- Every BGM track on the Sound Anime Collection

In fact, I'm sure any piece of TV BGM that was used a lot will be on this.

Last edited:

Ladies and gentlemen, we have cover art!!

Also, if you look closely at the discs (you can zoom in on the pictures on Amazon Japan's page if you click on them), you'll see that disc 1 covers 1997-1998, whereas disc 2 is 1999-2010.
In other words, disc 1 is entirely Kanto music, whereas disc 2 is Johto, AG, and DP. I don't think this is any reason to fret, however. I was actually hoping they'd do just that. Kanto definitely had the lion's share of original compositions (and this is pretty much a guarantee that this new set will contain much, much more Kanto material than the Sound Anime Collection), and I'm pretty sure there's only a handful of made-for-TV original pieces for Johto, AG and DP each (taking back what I said in my earlier post about there being a "TON" of original compositions from the TV anime), so a single disc should suffice for those. I think.

OuterCover.jpg

Cover.jpg

Booklet.jpg

BookletInside.jpg

Package.jpg

While it's too bad about the couple of game pieces that aren't on the first set, this is really nice. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who had this in mind...

kenisu3000 said:
Kanto definitely had the lion's share of original compositions (and this is pretty much a guarantee that this new set will contain much, much more Kanto material than the Sound Anime Collection), and I'm pretty sure there's only a handful of made-for-TV original pieces for Johto, AG and DP each (taking back what I said in my earlier post about there being a "TON" of original compositions from the TV anime), so a single disc should suffice for those. I think.

Kinda was hoping for a new art of Ash, but hey. He's also in his D&P clothes, probably because that's the series with the most recent music on this set. I wish Ash was in his original series clothes, but these are just minor nitpicks. They don't lessen my desire to get this set.

Aaaaand.... we have a tracklist! Looks like they're going the way of the new Best Wishes CD, as far as the titles are.

Cd-Japan
Amazon

Kanto - 65 Tracks
Johto - 19 Tracks (+3 bonus "OK!" tracks)
Hoenn - 19 Tracks (+2 bonus "Advance Adventure" tracks)
Sinnoh - 12 Tracks (+3 bonus "By Your Side" tracks)
Total - 123 Tracks

....That's a LOT of Kanto music.

I assume that those bonus tracks are the different instrumentals of those themes (like the piano version of "OK!")

There's really only 12 Sinnoh tracks?

Yeah, they didn't bring much in the way of anime exclusive stuff as the show went on. They seemed to be happy with using lots and lots of movie music instead, during the 4th gen in particular. There's such a huge library that it's not surprising, but still, it was always kind of dissapointing imo.

Anyway, apart from that one version of OK! that every else seems to love too, there's this one track from AG in particular that I'm looking forward to hearing. It was this somewhat silly sounding piece they often used when the group was getting chased around by something. I remember it playing when Torchic was trying to run up a cliff face to grab a tiny branch with a berry on the end.

I can't believe it.
This is a dream come true.

I have seriously had daydreams (and actual dreams) about this tracklist, guys, and this has me ecstatic. Back when Vol. 1 came out, I organized all the listed M-numbers from that set, then jotted down all the gaps. I've just gone through the Vol. 2 tracklist with my notes as reference, and the only pieces that appear to be missing are the following:

Kanto M33 (assuming M33A is an alternate and not a stand-alone)
Kanto M65 (assuming the same about M65A)
Kanto M69A (assuming the same about M65B)
Kanto M76 (assuming the same about M76A)
Johto M30

The alternates I wasn't expecting (in otherwords, pleasant surprises) are:

Kanto M20B
Kanto M26B
Kanto M31B
Kanto M71B
Kanto M72A
Kanto M75B

That's only five pieces that seem to be missing. Where once was lingering doubt, now I'm 99% certain we're getting the Kanto title card music and Kanto eyecatches, along with the OK! victory instrumental everyone loves so much, and with any luck, 1997~1998's M80 will turn out to be Mew's flute-and-drums theme from the Birth of Mewtwo radio drama. I'm happy as a friggin' lark right now. Thanks so, so much, Shinji Miyazaki.

EDIT: Grave-E, the BGM piece you described is already available on the Genki Ippai Collection, track 23 (though it'll very likely be on this upcoming set, too). Speaking of which, OST Best Vol. 1 rendered Genki Ippai nearly worthless (in terms of BGM that originally could only be found on that CD), and it looks like Vol. 2 is going to be the last nail in its coffin.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom