• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

TEEN: Unpredictable

Chapter 6.5 - Celadon City
Re: "Unpredictable" (PG-13)

Yay, finals are over! Now I can get back to writing... Big thanks to everyone who has reviewed, you have been a tremendous help.

This chapter was interesting to write. I had some trouble figuring out the best ways to convey emotion and give subtle hints as to the personality of the character himself. My apologies for any possible lack of realism in the hospital scene, I've been smart fortunate enough to stay out of hospitals and avoid major injuries (for the most part).

Time to step back into the shoes of the Flygon trainer. He gets a name this time, I don't know why I've been holding it back. You'll get a lot of background on his character. For those of you worried about Flygon, this is the chapter to look to. No action here, by the way, just character development, deal with it.

Chapter 6.5

The Flygon trainer caused quite a stir when he finally stumbled into the streets of Celadon. He was drenched in blood, both his and his Pokémon’s, despite the fact that he had done his best to bandage their wounds with scraps of clothing. He had no energy to ask for help, all he could do was collapse on the sidewalk. Exhaustion and blood loss tugged at his consciousness, but he refused to give in. He had to save Flygon. Only when several good Samaritans carried him and his Pokémon to their respective medical centers did he finally allow himself to lapse into unconsciousness.

He awoke days later in a hospital bed. His arm was in a cast and sling. “What’s going on?” he asked, delusional, as he opened his eyes.

Then the memories rushed back in a deluge.

“Flygon!” he called out loud, sitting up quickly. This was a bad idea. Pain shot through his entire body, especially his ribs. It was complete and utter agony. The man cried out in pain as he fell back onto his pillow.

The noise caught the attention of a nurse outside in the hallway, who hurried to his side. “Mr. Weiss, you’re awake! This is good. You probably shouldn’t be moving around much yet.”

Damn, thought the man, they must have found my ID card. I guess there’s no way of hiding my name now. Hopefully they’re discrete.

“Thanks for the heads up,” he groaned. “and please, call me Nolan.”

“All right then Nolan, how do you feel?”

“Like I just fell hundreds of feet out of the sky,” Nolan replied, smiling sardonically.

The nurse clearly didn’t catch the implied irony of the statement. “May I ask what exactly happened?”

He almost laughed, but stopped himself when he realized how much it would hurt his ribs. “You did look at my ID card right?”

“Yes, I….”

“Then you shouldn’t be surprised to know that I’m not going to answer that question.”

She just shut her mouth and nodded. She had seen the symbol of the International Police Corps emblazoned upon the man’s identification card.

Nolan was satisfied; it had been worth the trouble to get that symbol imprinted on his ID. Even if he technically wasn’t a member of the IPC, he fancied that since he fought for many of the same ideals, he didn’t have to feel guilty for the forged seal.

“What about my Flygon? Is she alright?”

She looked at him quizzically for a second before saying, “Oh, that’s right. They said you were found with a Flygon.”

Nolan began to get edgy. “Was she taken to the Pokémon Center? Is she okay?”

“I don’t actually know, but I could go check if you want.”

“Yes!” he practically yelled, before taking a deep yet painful breath to calm himself down. “Could you please do that for me?”

The nurse, a little taken aback from his outburst, nodded. “Of course.”

She left the room and Nolan stared at the ceiling. He didn’t know what he would do if Flygon died. He closed his eyes to stem the inevitable tears.

This had all been his fault. He should have known that the helicopter was armed. He should have brought his other Pokémon with him. He should have gotten to the city faster. He should have had some sort of first aid kit with him to treat her wounds.

There were so many memories of Flygon. When he fell into the then Trapinch’s trap in the desert and was almost eaten alive before his Grovyle finally managed to knock her into submission for his Poké Ball…. When she evolved into a Vibrava in the middle of his gym battle against Norman…. When she broke out of his Poké Ball and finally evolved into a Flygon in order to subdue the legendary Pokémon Rayquaza, even after it had defeated Sceptile…. The first time he flew with her, high above the foggy peak of Mt. Pyre and the beautifully endless ocean around Hoenn.

The mere thought of Flygon being dead sent an intense pang of guilt through his heart. It was like a weight that held him onto the bed. An empty spot, devoid of any feeling but sadness.

Nolan had to keep reminding himself that no, Flygon was not dead. Whenever he told himself this, a tiny part of his brain whispered back, “not yet.”

Before long, exhaustion pulled him out of his misery and into a nightmare filled sleep.

The nurse’s return woke Nolan not much later and he sat up, more slowly this time, eager for news. “Well?”

“I talked to a doctor at the Pokémon Center and he said that your Flygon was on the mend…”

Nolan let out a whoop.

“…it had to undergo fairly drastic surgery and won’t be able to get up and around for another couple weeks, but it’s okay.”

“Can I go visit?”

“You aren’t allowed to get up at all until your own wounds heal more…”

Nolan interrupted again, “and how long will that take?”

“Another day or so until you can walk, but you shouldn’t be leaving the hospital for another week at least.”

Nolan shook his head. “I’ll be out of here in four days tops. Do what you need to do, but get it done by then.” Without waiting for a reply, he lay back down and closed his eyes. A total giddiness enveloped his body, almost making him visibly shiver. Flygon was alive!

Nolan pushed his lunch tray away from him. The hospital’s food wasn’t that bad, but it left a slight aftertaste in his mouth like he had just thrown up.

It was three days after he had originally woken up, and his doctor had said he was making a remarkable recovery. Currently, the man was out of the room examining some x-rays and test results from earlier that day.

Nolan decided to lay down to stare at the ceiling, a pastime he found rather entertaining in situations such as this.

About ten minutes later, the short bald doctor finally walked into the room. “Well Nolan,” he said, “it looks like you are doing amazingly well. Your arm and ribs are healing nicely. The… ahh… wounds in your shoulder don’t seem to be infected, so we will probably be able to remove the bandages in another day or so. And of course you seem to have recovered from the shock and exhaustion you were originally diagnosed with.”

“Soooo….” Nolan looked at him expectantly, his eyes again asking the question he had been pestering the doctor with over and over for the past three days.

“Yes, you can go. But come back tomorrow so we can have another look at those bandages. We’ll discuss when the cast can be removed then as well.”

“Excellent,” Nolan pushed his sheets off him and climbed out of his bed. He was already fully dressed in anticipation of the doctor’s news. He pulled his backpack out from under his bed and swept from the room, thanking the doctor profusely.

Nolan blinked in the sunlight as he stepped outside the Celadon Hospital and brushed a blond hair out of his eye. The sun felt good on his normally tan skin, which was now slightly paler due to being cooped up inside. With his backpack on a single uninjured shoulder, he began quickly walking to the Pokémon Center.

Rather than wait for a nurse to come help him at the currently empty front desk, Nolan walked straight back into the medical rooms. Almost immediately he was accosted by a doctor.

“Hey, you! You’re not supposed to be back here,” said the man as he strode over to Nolan.

The trainer ignored the statement. “Where’s my Flygon?”

“Oh of course, you’re the Flygon’s trainer.” The Pokémon doctor looked Nolan up and down, examining his cast and bandages. “I’m sorry but your Flygon is resting right now. I’m afraid I can’t permit visiting until later today.”

Nolan nodded, “Alright I’ll be back in two hours.” He desperately wanted to see his friend, but knew that her health was more important.

The doctor seemed surprised at the lack of argument but said nothing more.

Back in the lobby of the center, Nolan walked over to the transfer machine. He punched a few numbers on the keypad and waited as the comm-screen showed a “connecting” animation. A few seconds later, the big joyful face of Littleroot Town’s professor filled the screen.

“NOLAN! How’re ya doin m’boy?” Birch shouted with a grin, which faded upon his noticing Nolan’s injuries. “What the hell happened t’you? You all right? Where’s Flygon?”

The trainer smiled slightly before saying, “I’d rather not talk about it right now. Could you please send over my other five Pokémon?”

“Absolutely kid, the normal crew?”

Nolan rolled his eyes. “No, a Sandshrew and the four Zigzagoon I caught on my way to Petalburg. Yes, the normal crew.”

The professor laughed heartily. “Alrighty then, just let me get ‘em rounded up.” He disappeared off screen for a minute, in which Nolan heard him yell “HEY! NOLAN’S BOYS! YOUR TRAINER WANTS YA!”

Professor Birch had nobly agreed to watch over Nolan’s Pokémon whenever he was on a mission. Birch had been one of the few people he had confided in as to what he was actually doing in Kanto and Johto.

Immediately after the shout, Nolan’s Gardevoir teleported on-screen with a flash. Seconds later the giant, evil, grinning face of his Banette took up the entire screen as it materialized in front of Gardevoir.

Nolan laughed as Professor Birch brushed it aside. “Now now, get back in yer Poké Balls. Alright Nolan, transfer’s ready from my end.”

Nolan hit a few more buttons. “Okay, ready to receive.”

He watched as one Poké Ball dropped, then another, into the basket next to the monitor from a large chute that went in to the wall overhead. He had never really done any research on how these things worked, but he had been told that it operated using the same system as a Poké Ball. The energy that Pokémon were converted into when they go inside the ball could be transported over long distances near instantaneously to another Poké Ball at another machine.

“Professor, why do you insist on calling my Pokémon “boys”? Most of them are actually female. Flygon’s female, as is Gardevoir, Sceptile’s a boy but I’m pretty sure Banette’s a girl…”

“Aww quit yer nitpickin’. Besides, it looks like you’d make a pretty shoddy professor, Banette’s about the manliest ghost-type I’ve ever seen!”

“Alright fine, you win. Banette is my newest Pokémon after all, I’ve only had it for a few months.”

“Y’know, any trainer but yourself would say a few months was enough t’ completely bond with a Pokémon.”

“That’s ridiculous,” Nolan replied as the fifth ball dropped into the basket, “a year at least, probably more. Anyway, I’m set here. See you around, Professor.”

“You’re one of a kind m’boy, one of kind. Keep out of trouble.” With that he signed off.

Until Nolan clipped the five new balls on to his belt, he had forgotten about the smashed one. To make matters worse, he currently had no money to buy a new ball for Flygon. “I guess we’re going to have to keep one out at all times. This is going to be a long few months….”

NEXT: Tim challenges Misty!

Last edited:

Ah i found it!
I wondered where this fic had dissapeared to... lol
Another great chapter! Nice to get a bit of a backstory on the mysterious Flygon trainer, and his 'flashback' sequence was good as well.
I can't wait to see how all these characters come together in the greater plot. ooo I'm getting giddy just thinking about it.

Chapter 7 - Tim vs. Misty

Ah i found it!
I wondered where this fic had dissapeared to... lol
Another great chapter! Nice to get a bit of a backstory on the mysterious Flygon trainer, and his 'flashback' sequence was good as well.
I can't wait to see how all these characters come together in the greater plot. ooo I'm getting giddy just thinking about it.

Yeah really, nothing stays on the front page for long anymore besides the popular fics. I'm glad you liked the chapter. Despite how much I like the X.5 chapters, I think I made a mistake in writing them. Don't get your hopes up, he won't make anything beyond a cameo appearance for a while yet. But I'm working hard to make the cameos extra badass. By the way, I don't think I answered your question from your first post here. Yes, all trainers are welcome to take the gym challenge, they just won't be "sponsored" by the Pokemon League. That's the point I was trying to convey.

Anyway, on to this chapter. I'm going to be updating more often now, as I have several chapters queued up and ready to go (up to ch 10 is edited and I just finished writing ch 21). Plus, I would prefer that this stay on the front page as much as possible to attract more viewers.

Back when I started writing I was torn between Keith catching a Magnemite or a Bellsprout. I decided on Magnemite (obviously), but Bellsprout got a new life with Tim. This chapter will showcase the battle strategy I was originally going to have Keith use with Bellsprout. Besides that, this chapter is relatively useless. Sooo... the next one will be up soon (tomorrow).

This time: Tim battles Misty!

Chapter 7

After a few days of training, Tim was ready to take on Misty. We had a quick breakfast, then Tim and I walked down the street towards Misty’s gym. His Weepinbell, newly evolved, hopped with us, beside Tim. Psyke sat on my shoulders, resting its chin on my head, fast asleep.

We hadn’t talked at all since breakfast. Eventually Tim broke the silence.

“How do you do it?”

“Do what?” I asked, looking at him quizzically.

“Kick so much ass in battles? You steamrolled Misty, and you’ve been demolishing me in training. I can only imagine what you did with Brock.”

“Actually, beating Brock was a close call. I didn’t have any experience then.” I paused for a second, thinking. I hadn’t really thought about it, but he was right. The raw strength of my Pokémon had carried me through the battle with Misty, but since then I’d gotten rapidly better. It’s like something just clicked. Skirmishing with Tim had been cake, even when I was at a type disadvantage. “I dunno. Strategy, I guess. Strategy and practice. When you train with your Pokémon for a while, eventually you just get it. You understand what orders to give and how to handle the situation at hand. It’s kind of improvisation, but at the same time it’s also about knowing your opponent.”

“And you know me pretty well,” Tim interjected.

“Exactly. Gym leaders are just as predictable, everybody knows what type the local gym leader prefers. Plan your team and strategies accordingly.”

“What about when you don’t know anything about who you’re facing?” asked my friend.

“Then I just rely on training and improvisation. You can think up of tactics on the spot if you work at it. Just try to think outside of the box and trust your Pokémon. Sometimes they know what to do better than you do.”

“Hmm…” Tim scratched his chin, deep in thought.

When we finally walked into the gym, Misty was swimming around in the pool with her Starmie. She looked up as we came in and crawled out of the pool to greet us.

“Hey Keith! Nice hat.” She grinned up at Psyke.

I took the Abra off of my head, waking it, “Shh… You won’t be making fun of him when he evolves. I got big plans for this little guy.” Psyke looked around, bemused. I continued, “This is my friend Tim, the one I was telling you about. He’s come to challenge you, if he can pay attention long enough.”

Tim was silent. He gazed from his Weepinbell to the pool to Starmie, muttering under his breath.

I nudged him, “Dude…”

He looked up, “Oh, sorry. Hey Misty, I’m Tim.”

She smiled sweetly, “Nice to meet you, Tim. You ready to go? I’ll go grab my referee real quick.

Tim nodded solemnly, “Alright, I need to talk to my Weepinbell real quick anyway.”

Misty nodded slowly, “Okay.” She looked at me, quizzically, then strode off towards an adjacent room.

I just smiled slyly and sat down on a bench beside the pool, setting my Abra next to me. I watched Tim crouch next to his Weepinbell, whispering. When Misty returned with her referee, he straightened.

“You ready?” called Misty, from the far side of the pool.

“Of course, let’s go,” responded Tim.

“Go! Staryu!”

“Weepinbell!” Tim’s grass-type hopped onto the nearest platform. Flecks of a golden colored powder fell from its body. I smirked to myself. It was underhanded, but nothing in the rule-book said that you had to call out your Pokémon’s moves. The spores continued to fall from Weepinbell as it crept forward to the edge of the platform. Misty clearly couldn’t see it. The spores were saturating the water around Weepinbell’s platform.

Misty wasn’t going to bide her time as she had against me. “Staryu, go underwater and come up under Weepinbell,” she commanded.

I smiled again. Tim was following my advice. He had taken what he knew and planned accordingly. It wasn’t exactly the same strategy I would have used, but it worked.

Staryu spun through the water and exploded up from underneath Weepinbell. But at the last second, Weepinbell had used its vine whip to launch itself to another platform. Staryu leaped onto Weepinbell’s original platform in front of Tim.

“Bubblebeam!” Misty shouted.

But nothing happened. Staryu had been effectively paralyzed.

“Vine whip.”

Tim’s Weepinbell was strong. It only had to use one slap of its vine to send Staryu spinning off out of the pool where it slapped loudly against the cement. The referee declared it unable to battle.

“Staryu, return. Go Starmie!” Misty was stoic, she clearly did not want to lose.

Before Tim and Weepinbell could do anything, Misty cried “Psybeam!”

A beam of psychic energy shot from Starmie’s jewel. It caught Weepinbell full on. If it wasn’t for the plant Pokémon’s partial poison typing, it may have survived the hit. As it was, Weepinbell flew across the pool and landed, floating, in the water at Tim’s feet. He recalled it silently.

I was stumped. What was Tim going to do? Charmeleon would be destroyed, Zubat would be even weaker than Weepinbell, and I didn’t know how strong Tim’s Raticate was. Maybe…

“Go! Beedrill!”

“Psybeam!”

With a buzz, Beedrill deftly dodged the beam of light.

“Launch a pin missile barrage, then use fury attack.”

Beedrill’s speed astounded me. It was clearly Tim’s best Pokémon.

Misty had no time to call out commands. Starmie launched off psybeams blindly. It was being overcome with needle-like projectiles being fired rapidly by Beedrill. The water-type frantically threw up a light screen as Beedrill came nearer but it did nothing. Beedrill’s needles flashed left and right. Finally, Starmie succumbed to the attack.

Misty recalled her Pokémon glumly. “That’s two losses in a row, and one of them was televised. This is embarrassing.”

She gave Tim a Cascade Badge before she silently slid back into the water and released one of her Poké Balls, it was a Poliwag. She began to play with it in the water. “See you guys around,” she said gloomily.

Tim talked animatedly about the battle all the way back to the center. I nodded and smiled but wasn’t really paying attention. My brother Spencer had had a Poliwag the last time he had come by to visit. I remembered playing with it in the ocean. I made a mental note to send him an email thanking him for the Ultra Ball and letting him know how I was doing.

When we reached the center, we sat down at one of the tables and began discussing leaving the next morning. “Well, we should probably cut through Saffron City and go to the port of Vermillion. That’s where we can face Lieutenant Surge. Unless you want to try facing Sabrina, but I heard she’s tough.”

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. I gazed for a second at Psyke, sitting on the table and munching some Pokémon food, before telling Tim my plan. “Actually….” I paused.

“Actually what? Do you want to go another way?”

I hesitated before letting Tim know what Criss had told me before leaving.

“Teach you about battling? You’re amazing! You don’t need training.”

“It couldn’t hurt. I want to check it out at least. It’s up to you whether you hang around in Saffron and wait for me or if you go on ahead to Vermillion.”

He sighed. “I’ll give it some thought.”

NEXT: Saffron City? Things get interesting.

Last edited:

Great story. Very intresting that you gave him a Magnemite as I've never read a Bulbagarden story where it's one of the main characters Pokemon.

Good Job.

I feel kind of sorry for Misty I mean she was destroyed twice by two complete rookies but I'm sure she'll get over it. Not utterly convinced by tim's character yet but I think it needs more time to develop and you battle's seem a bit quick and could do with more description.having said this its still a good fic and I cant wait for wepinbell to evolve cause I love victreebell

Chapter 8 - Saffron City

Great story. Very intresting that you gave him a Magnemite as I've never read a Bulbagarden story where it's one of the main characters Pokemon.

Really? I've always though it was popular for some reason... Thanks for reading, I'm surprised you took the time to go through the whole thing. :-D

Not utterly convinced by tim's character yet but I think it needs more time to develop and you battle's seem a bit quick and could do with more description.having said this its still a good fic and I cant wait for wepinbell to evolve cause I love victreebell

If you think Tim's character is dry now, you should have seen my first draft. Admittedly, I'm using him as a sidekick character so he won't get too much development, but I need to work on that. Besides being a dumb goof-off, I don't really have a direction for him to go in. And thanks for reminding me; at the point where I am with writing the story, I gave Tim a leaf stone but he still hasn't used it. Thanks for the continued readership!

Hokey dokey. It's chapter time. When I first came up with the idea for this chapter (and the next couple), I thought I was being pretty original. But at the same time I felt like people would get all pissy and say that it was a stupid plot device. But now that I've been reading more and more fics around here and watching more episodes of the anime, this isn't entirely uncommon and is in fact fairly well received.Hopefully it will be the same for my fic, but we'll see. I desperately need to work on descriptions. You probably have no idea what I'm talking about but it'll make sense when you read the chapter. I'll shut up now.

Chapter 8

Saffron isn’t that far from Cerulean. Only a few miles walk along a straight road. I was still carrying Psyke as we strolled along. Tim didn’t have any of his Pokémon out. He had decided to come with me into Saffron for at least a little while.

Up ahead, the gatehouse loomed. Saffron City was fenced off, it always had been. I wasn’t sure why but that’s just the way it worked. We pushed open the doors of the small building and proceeded through.

“Hey! Wait!”

Tim and I looked up. The guard had gotten up from his desk in the side of the room.

“What’d we do?” I asked.

“The way is closed.”

“So how do we get into the city?” asked Tim.

“You don’t, it’s off limits,” said the guard, crossing his arms and standing in front of us, staring down his nose.

“You can’t close off an entire city!” I exclaimed.

“Well it looks like I just did,” said the guard, pompously.

Tim looked at him, “you mean you closed it off just now? Sounds to me like you’re just making stuff up.”

“I don’t have time to explain things to a stupid kid! If you go through, you’ll be in trouble!”

I grabbed Tim’s arm, “Let’s go. We’re not getting in.”

My friend glared at the guard, but complied.

“If you just want to get around the city, there’s an underground tunnel to Vermillion just outside,” said the man behind us.

Outside, we gathered our thoughts.

“That… was weird” said Tim.

“I’m more concerned about how I’m going to get to Sabrina than why it’s blocked off now. “ I responded.

“I suppose you could just come with me, and go to Vermillion. Sabrina can wait until we find a way in.” he suggested.

“No,” I said, “I don’t know why, but I feel like I need to get in there as soon as possible.”

“Alright then,” Tim conceded, “I’ll try to come in later, if not, meet me in Vermillion City or Celadon.”

“You bet.” I replied.

Tim walked off towards the building leading to the tunnels. I stood for a minute and watched him go. He seemed more than a little angry that we were separated again already. Nevertheless, I knew for some reason, I had to do this. But how?

I looked down at Psyke. But of course… My Pokémon looked at me quizzically.

“Psyke,” I started, “We need to get to the other side of that fence.” I pointed towards the city. “Both of us. Can you even do that?”

Abra cocked its head, nodded, tensed, and then we were inside. Teleportation was nothing like I had suspected. There was no odd sensation or feeling beyond a slight prickling numbness in my limbs. There was no flash or bang, it just happened.

Blinking away my surprise, I looked around at the huge buildings that now surrounded Abra and me. I began walking slowly through the streets, looking for the gym. I glanced around for someone to ask for directions, but no one was there. That was peculiar…

Saffron City was easily the largest city I had ever been in, although that wasn’t saying much. Apartment complexes, businesses, and skyscrapers towered around me.

As I wandered through the streets I thought about Tim. I was a little worried for him, as he hadn’t been through the things that I had. If Team Rocket showed up, he would be in big trouble. Of course, there was a good chance that they wouldn’t. It was hard to make a generalization of what the world was really like.

I had grown up in such a protective environment. They didn’t teach us much at all about the outside world back at school. Or maybe they did, I could hardly remember any of my schooling despite the fact that it hadn’t even ended six months ago.

I had spent so much time daydreaming about Pokémon and my future adventures with them that I hadn’t paid any attention in class. Final exams had been hell, but they hadn’t mattered to me. As long as I graduated, I figured, I would be fine. Tim had a similar point of view. David had been the intellectual one.

David had actually gotten a scholarship to go study at a college somewhere in Hoenn but decided to journey instead. It had taken him a while to convince his parents that this was a good idea, but it had finally paid off.

I wondered about David. He had left a while before me, so he was probably ahead somewhere, despite turning around to visit home after Cerulean. I doubted Tim and I would catch up to him, he had been better than the both of us at practically everything. I didn’t think Pokémon were an exception.

Suddenly, I saw a pair of men in dark clothes exit a building and begin walking down the road away from me. I almost called out to them but stopped when something clicked in my brain. Those couldn’t be…

My train of thought was interrupted by someone grabbing my arm and pulling me into an alley. I nearly dropped Psyke in my attempt to break free of my assailant’s grip.

“Easy, kid. You don’t want to get caught by those Rockets do you?”

I stopped struggling and looked at the man. He was short, shorter than me at least, and relatively pudgy. Beside him stood a Drowzee, whom he bore a striking resemblance to.

“Those were Rockets? What are they doing here? Where is everybody? Who are you?”

The man just shook off my explosion of questions.

“Not now,” he said, “just follow me.” He began walking down the alleyway.

I was skeptical. “Where am I following you to?”

“The only safe place in the city for trainers, the Saffron City Gym,” the man responded.

Satisfied, but still wary, I followed him for a couple minutes. We stopped at every turn and looked around the corner, presumably for Rockets. Eventually we came to the giant building labeled as the Saffron City Gym.

The man pulled a key out of his pocket and fumbled with the door for a second before unlocking it and going inside, gesturing for me to follow.

I slipped inside after him, clutching Psyke tightly. This gym, rather than being laid out as one huge room, looked more like an office complex. It even smelled like leather. I stood in what appeared to be a stark lobby. There was poor lighting and no furniture.

Then almost out of nowhere appeared a tall woman, probably in her late 20s. She had long dark hair and cold eyes. I recognized her as Sabrina, the Saffron City Gym Leader. She was glaring down at the man.

“Evan, I told you not to leave the building under any circumstances. Any and all training you need to do can be done here,” scorned Sabrina.

The man cowered slightly. “I’m sorry ma’am, I was just trying to go catch a new Pokémon.” His Drowzee nodded in agreement.

The tall woman sighed. “Just remember that you need to follow rules as long as you seek refuge here. Now get along, I want to speak with the newcomer.”

Evan scuttled off and Sabrina turned to me. “You say Criss sent you?” she asked me.

I was startled. “I didn’t… but yes. How’d you know? What’d you mean by using this gym as refuge? Where is everyone? Why is the city closed off?”

She ignored me and looked into my eyes for a second before saying, “Follow. No questions now.”

I followed her off down the hallway to the left. We stopped at the door to a small room.

“Enter,”

The room was empty except for a single chair against the wall.

“Sit,” commanded Sabrina. I sat. At that moment, Psyke awoke and looked around the room confusedly. “Now close your eyes and empty your mind.”

What was she talking about? What was going on? I hesitantly shut my eyes.

“No questions now. Empty your mind.”

Did she just read my mind?

“No I didn’t, not exactly. Empty your mind, now.”

I was intimidated to say the least. I tried my best to think of nothing, I cast aside my worries and musings but still found it hard to think of nothing. Was that even possible?

“No, it’s not. Good so far, now think of your Abra. Only your Abra and nothing more. Think of memories, ideas, think entirely of Abra.”

I was still confused. But I obeyed. I let my mind wander through memories of the psychic type, thoughts, even dreams. Suddenly, something happened. My eyes were open, I was… shorter? I had no control over my body. My head turned and looked up. There I saw myself, eyes screwed shut and a look of surprise on my face. Then I realized it, I was Psyke!

My eyes jumped open and I was staring straight at Sabrina. “What the hell just happened?”

Again she said, “No questions. Close your eyes again and empty your mind. I’m going to try something.”

I was even more hesitant this time but did as she ordered. I nervously anticipated something happening like before, but nothing did.

“Very good, open your eyes and come with me. I will answer your questions now.”

I got up and followed her out of the room. We continued down the dimly lit hallway. I tried hard to wrap my head around what had happened in the last 10 minutes. After a few seconds, I figured out the questions I needed answered immediately and what could wait. Sabrina didn’t seem like the kind of person to be pestering for information. Sort of like Criss but even sterner, if that was possible.

“What was it that I just experienced back there?”

“You witnessed your first psychic connection,” she answered, “You seem to be one of the few people who have the ability to expand your mind beyond your body and into the souls of others. This enables you to connect with Pokémon. Psychic types will be rather easy because of their own aura, and other types can be connected to with some training.”

I was completely and utterly blown away. “Psychic powers? What? That’s not even…”

“Possible? Isn’t it? Psychic Pokémon can do it so why not humans? It’s just rarer for us. You have the gift, as does Criss, and to some extent Evan, who you met earlier. I have the power as well, but on a much higher level.”

“So I can read minds?” I asked skeptically.

“No. With training, you may be able to detect the emotions of others but I doubt it. I have that ability, and combined with some experience and observation, it can be incredibly similar to reading minds.”

“What exactly did you do, that second time I closed my eyes?”

“I looked into your mind. At your aura. I did it to determine the level of your gift. You seem exceptional, a little better than Criss, but only some. Training you will be interesting. Training is what you want, isn’t it? And I don’t believe I asked your name?

“I’m Keith. And yes, I do want training. Criss said you could teach me to be a better Pokémon trainer. She didn’t say anything about being a psychic though…”

“I wouldn’t think so,” said Sabrina, smiling grimly, “it’s not something you really tell other people. On another note, I noticed something when I was inspecting your mind. You’ve been tampered with, a psychic being has altered your mind somehow. I don’t know exactly but I would think something to do with emotional reactions.”

I knew what this was about. I knew exactly what this was about. That Pokémon I saw. The terror was rising in me again. I looked at Sabrina and she looked back into my eyes. I was sure she could sense my fear but I tried to play it cool.

“Hmm, that’s weird” I said, nonchalantly.

We then turned a corner into a large room that was undoubtedly the main battle stadium. It was almost identical to Brock’s, except slightly larger, cleaner, and more brightly lit. I squinted my eyes as they adjusted to the new light.

“This is where a majority of your training will take place.”

“How long does the training last?” I asked.

“It depends on your competence, your work ethic, and how much you are willing to learn. It’s all up to you. You could stay here years and still be learning. Or you could stay here only a few days but still be that much more prepared for what lies ahead.”

“Well let’s get started then.”

See what I mean? I definitely know I need to work on my descriptions of the psychic connections, they're awfully vague. Next chapter will be up tomorrow or the next day. I'll try to keep this on the front page.

NEXT: Keith learns to kick ass and take names, Evan's resemblance to his Drowzee is briefly reiterated, and, what's this? A little background on Criss?

Last edited:

Heya. Sorry I've been slipping on reviewing this, cap'n. Lots of things came up, so I'll make it up to you with more reviews whenever I have time. Also, sorry if I sounded like a dick in my last review, 'cause I think I sounded like a dick before. Yeah, so you know what I'm gonna do, right? -- Italics

Chapter two-point-five:

The thumping of helicopter rotors woke the young man from his afternoon nap on a ledge near the crater of Mt. Moon. He quickly shook his Flygon awake as well.

“Shit shit shit shit, they let someone get away. I hope they’re okay; I thought the girl could handle this. Come on, Flygon, it's go time.” He sounds rather unexcited today. Is he a night owl?

He leaped onto his companion's back and put on a pair of goggles that dangled around his neck as it began to beat its powerful wings. Whose goggles? 'Cause I know Flygon have these weird goggle-thingies. Within seconds they had lifted off and were pursuing the helicopter. As they passed over the crater, the man looked down. He saw only one body, wearing a black uniform, and breathed a sigh of relief before turning his attention back to the chase. He's glad he killed a person? LOLWUT?

As they neared the chopper, the man saw the emblazoned red R on the side of it. But that wasn’t all; the R had a circle around it.

“The boss? I guess that explains a lot,” exclaimed the man. “That letter to Goldenrod must have been a diversion, and we fell for it. At least we didn’t take the bait, huh, Flygon?” Enter key, mate.

“Flah….Enter key, mate.

“That copter’ll be heavily armored; are you ready? We could end this all today….Enter key, mate.

Flygon growled in agreement and anticipation. With that, they dove into battle.

A fiery Flamethrower lanced from Flygon’s mouth towards the cockpit of the helicopter. The pilot was caught by surprise, but managed to veer the craft out of the way. Almost immediately, the cargo door opened slightly and two Poke Balls Better keep it uncapitalized from now on. Or else. were tossed out. A pair of ravenous Fearow burst from them and raced towards the dragon.

“Expendables? These people sicken me.” Who's speaking? And Enter key, mate.

With several whispered commands to his Pokémon, a furious air battle began. Luckily, the Fearow did not reach him at the same time. Unluckily, the bigger one got there first. Flygon managed to slow him How do you know it's a "he"? -- Oh, God, no, don't tell me! down with a Sonic Boom from its powerful vibrating wings, but they still crashed into each other. The man held on for his life and continued whispering commands. HOW IS THIS GUY HOLDING ON WITHOUT FALLING OFF OR THROWING UP?

His dragon let loose a screech that caused both of the Fearow to falter slightly. Flygon tore itself from its current opponent and fell to the level of the smaller bird. At the last second, it whipped around behind the Fearow and hit it with a powerful Faint I think it's actually "Feint," but I don't know for sure. attack. The Flygon’s trainer looked around for the helicopter and spotted it in the distance, speeding away.

The first Fearow had managed to recover by this time and now dove back down, landing a Wing Attack. Enter key, mate.

“Let’s take this to your element,” the trainer told his Flygon, and it beat its wings furiously to gain altitude, but turned around right as the Fearow began catching up to it. With a cry, it dove downward at a frightening velocity. Wind roared through the man’s ears as the ground approached rapidly. He didn’t dare have his Pokémon use any of its special abilities until he was sure he had the upper hand. Unlike most trainers, he actually anticipated Mirror Move.

The man gripped onto his Pokémon tightly as it quickly pulled out of its dive, mere feet from colliding with the trees. The resulting Gs blurred the edges of the man’s vision, but he held on. He turned to see the bigger of the two Fearow expertly pull out of the dive and continue the pursuit. The other Fearow was not so lucky. He could almost hear its bones crunching as it tore through the trees and slammed into the ground with a horrible scream.

“We need to finish this quickly before our quarry gets away.” Enter key, mate.

Flygon growled in agreement and swooped to the left into a large dirt field. Enter key, mate.

“Perfect.

As the Fearow entered the field, it was met with a blinding blast of sand and dust. Enter key, mate.

“Sand Attack, Sandstorm, and Sand Tomb,” listed the man. I'd think "said" is a better choice. Unless the dude is bored. But then again, he just killed a giant bird of prey, so....Oh, God, don't tell me! His Pokémon obliged, and the dust whipped around their opponent, finally trapping it.

“Flaahhhgoon!” cried the dragon as it finished its opponent with a deadly Hyper Beam. As the sandstorm cleared, they could see what was left of the Fearow. It was half buried under the dirt and both of its wings were bent at odd angles. It twitched slightly, then lay still.

The man sighed.A Pokémon Center could probably save it, but we don’t have time. Come on Flygon….Ha ha, what a dick.

He knew his dragon was tired, but he pushed it to catch up with the chopper. He had trained his Pokémon well; they were back on track within minutes. But this time, the pilot saw them coming. He was clearly trained for the job, not just another stupid grunt. The copter whipped around to aim itself at its ambushers. With a mechanical “ka-chunk” two small compartments flipped out of the helicopters nose, revealing a pair of machine guns. An armed helicopter? That was too much.

“Fuck this! Abort, Flygon! DIVE!” Enter key, mate.

But it was too late. Bullets ripped through his Pokémon’s thin wings and chest, and two shots hit him in the upper left arm as he turned away. It was pain like he had never felt before, pain and horror. The helicopter turned and continued on its journey as the man clutched onto his injured Pokémon with a single arm and fell, silently, through the sky.

He floated in and out of consciousness, but his Pokémon kept fighting for their lives. It beat its injured wings and screamed in pain at the stress on its open wounds, but fought to slow their descent. The last thing the man remembered before he finally passed out was crashing through the trees below.

HOLD IT. Wait. Wait. Wait. Where's the blood? Where's that lingering sensation when that bitch hits you right where it hurts? Where's the excruciating torture as the blood slips through your skin into the dangerous microcosm of germs and disease? What color is a Pokemon's blood? How is a Flygon's wings papery? (They need to fly as a means of survival, right?) WHERE'S THE PAIN AND HORROR AND SHOCK?

You're awesome at action scenes, by the way. I DEMAND MOAR.

Heya. Sorry I've been slipping on reviewing this, cap'n. Lots of things came up, so I'll make it up to you with more reviews whenever I have time. Also, sorry if I sounded like a dick in my last review, 'cause I think I sounded like a dick before. Yeah, so you know what I'm gonna do, right? -- Italics

You're awesome at action scenes, by the way. I DEMAND MOAR.

Not a problem! I've seen your reviews all around and they're always entertaining to read, so I understand how busy you must be. Feel free to take all the time you need. I always appreciate your comments.

I detected no dickery in the previous post, I actually thought it was rather good insight.

Thanks for the comments, compliments and criticisms. I am rather proud of my action scenes, and I definitely need to work on my descriptions.

good chapter and I like the way you portray Sabrina though I thought Evan could have done with more description as I find it hard to get him in my mind. I like how you dealt with abra's teleportation as I aways thought it would be weird for teleporting to be anything other than instant so well done.

Trying to finish all the chapters you have out so I can execute my FORUM-WIDE REVIEWING ATTACK. You know what's I'm doin', right? -- Italics

Chapter three:

I woke up the next morning stiff and sore. I rose out of bed and put my feet on the floor. That's how you rap, son. A hiker lay in the bunk adjacent to mine. He snored and rolled over. I quietly slipped my shoes on, grabbed my pack off the hook and walked out into the main area. Picking up my Pokémon from the nurse, I made my way into the cafeteria and got some breakfast.

As I was eating, I saw Criss come in. Noticing me, she came over and sat down. Enter key, mate.

“So how’d the police station visit go?” I asked her as Flareon jumped up on the table to join us. I raised a hand to pet it on its furry mane. It was warm, but didn’t burn me like it had when I grabbed it on the previous day. Why's it so friendly now? Don't tell me Keet Keith's a Pokemon telepath.

“The Rocket was arrested and brought into town this morning. Here’s your reward.” She slid a wad of bills across the table to me. All of the anger and hatred from yesterday seemed to be gone.

“We get rewards?” I asked, astonished, as I picked up the money. It was a fair amount, though not as much as I currently had. To be completely honest, I had more expected to be arrested for being involved in the death of a man.

“Of course,” Criss replied. “Team Rocket is a problem and the police squad appreciates all the help it can get.”

I pocketed the money. “What about the dead guys; are we in trouble for that?”

She stared at me, emotionless. “They got what they deserved.” Enter key, mate.

That seemed a little cruel, but I didn’t want to upset her. “So, what now? What are you going to do next?”

“I’ll probably head down to Vermillion City. I haven’t been there in a while; I might be able to sniff up some new leads. Plus my Tentacruel needs to swim in saltwater again. Are you going to stay here?” That's...remarkably perfect for a Pokemon fic. I approve.

“Yeah,” I replied. “I’m going to wait for my friend to catch up. He probably won’t be here for a couple weeks.” My friend Tim was supposedly on his way, as his birthday was only two weeks behind mine.

“Hmm….I’d better get going then,” she said, and we both stood up. “I just want to let you know, it was nice to know that you had my back at Mount Moon. I usually work alone, but clearly you’re a special case.”

“Thanks. Hopefully we’ll see each other around sometime.”

“As long as you keep working against the Rockets, we’ll probably cross paths again.” She paused, and then gave me a quick hug. “Bye.” She turned to leave but then stopped and looked back at me. “Oh yeah, just a bit of advice: get to the Saffron Gym as soon as possible and talk to Sabrina. Tell her I sent you. She’ll be able to teach you quite a bit about battling.” Then she left without waiting for my reply.

I watched her go for a minute before discarding my tray, shouldering my pack, and heading out the door for Not needed, cap'n. myself. It was a beautiful day, sunny skies and not a cloud to be seen. I took a seat on a bench on the side of the road and let Rainer out of his ball.

“Squirtle, Squirt!” (Heh.)

“Well, I don’t know about you Rainer, but I’m tired. Let’s take these first couple days off and just explore the city. Then we can train some and beat Misty.”

“Squirtle!” it nodded.

Perhaps you should put down something here to indicate a break. Either asterisks (usually three in a row with a space between each [* * *]) or a bigger space (keep hitting that Enter key) will do.

“Rainer, use Water Gun!” Yeah, at this point, I'm just capitalizing attacks for the fun of it. You're progressing so well that I need something to do. The blast of water sent the opposing wild Sandshrew rolling backwards. “Nice one Rainer, return.”

It was about three days after Criss had left. I had been training and exploring the city the entire time. I had also spent quite a bit of time just reading my pokedex. I memorized all the different moves of my Pokémon and their evolutions. There was a “random entry” button that I used to flip through various species of Pokémon, memorizing their capabilities as well. List-y. I need to hit up the supermarket, I remember now.

Right now I was training in a field on the west side of town, but I was getting bored with the current area. I decided to walk over to the other side of the city where there was a similar field. He likes walking. Asshole. The Pokémon found there were the same as the ones I was finding here, but they were much stronger.

I immediately snatched up my backpack and strode back through town. GAWD, you environmentally friendly ass. The city itself was a little bigger than Pewter had been and about twice the size of my hometown. The buildings, however, were not nearly as big as those in Saffron City, which could be seen in the distance on clear days.

About a quarter hour Keith: The Chosen One with a Remarkably Good Sense of Time. later I walked out into the field. Where the other field had always had two or three trainers other than me, this one was completely empty. For this reason I quickly looked up the second I noticed motion in the corner of my eye.

A metallic orb floated above a patch of grass. It was facing away from me. I knew from pictures that it had a white eye on the other side and two screws underneath that. A screw came out of the top of the orb and two large horseshoe magnets were affixed to its sides, facing out.

A Magnemite. Now that was a rare occurrence. It must have gotten lost and drifted away from the nearby power plant (nearby as the Murkrow flies, You're a nerd, Keith. that is, a river and a mountain pass separated it from Cerulean). I couldn’t let a chance like this get away; I had to catch this Pokémon. AND SO THE OBSESSION BEGINS.

It wasn’t until then that I realized that all of my Pokémon were weak against Electric-types. I stopped a little ways away, thinking of what to do. As I watched, the Magnemite bobbed around and muttered to itself. But...Magnemite don't have mouths. Oh, God, don't tell me. It didn’t seem to notice me.

Before I could think of something to do, the Pokémon jerked to the right and sent a bolt of electricity lancing towards the ground, seemingly randomly. But the provoker of this attack became clear almost immediately. A Sandshrew, much like the one I had just defeated, clambered out of a hole in the ground and growled menacingly. The Magnemite sent another bolt of electricity at it, but it appeared to have no effect. I realized that the Ground-type Sandshrew was immune to all electric attacks. The Magnemite caught onto this immediately. With a blast like a cannon, the Magnemite appeared to kick back, as if by recoil. The Sandshrew slid backwards a couple feet and fell over. I recognized it as a Sonic Boom attack. The concentrated sound would only be felt by the target but was clearly audible.

The Sandshrew stood up and shook itself off before launching at the Magnemite with a Scratch attack. The silver orb spun around, trying to shake off the mouse, but it held on tight and continued to scratch and bite. The Magnemite was dragged down to the ground before it finally turned itself at its assailant and used another Sonic Boom. Before the Sandshrew could recover, the Magnemite tackled it.

The battle wore on for a couple more minutes. The metallic Magnemite didn’t seem to be much affected by the Sandshrew’s attacks at first, but the ferocity and speed of its opponent finally was beginning to take its toll. The Magnemite’s body was scuffed and scratched and the Sandshrew was bruised and bleeding. Neither of them would last much longer. The Sandshrew launched itself at its enemy in a last ditch attack, but the battle had slowed it down. The Magnemite let loose a final Sonic Boom, and the mouse flew backwards, Unneeded comma. and crumpled to the ground. So, Keith just kind of stands there and watches a sentient magnet and rat-like mole fight each other to the death? I mean, I would totally do the same thing, but hell, why no camera phone? Why doesn't he take advantage of the situation?

Then the Magnemite turned and saw me. I quickly sent out Rainer, ready to battle. The Magnemite floated, completely still for a second, then fell to the ground. Oh. Oh.

“It must be too tired to fight.”

“Squirtle….

We walked over to its body. Rainer walked forward timidly and poked it. The tiny turtle clearly got an electric shock, because it jumped and ran to hide behind my legs exclaiming, “Squirtle! Squirt, squirt squirt!”

I took out a Poke Ball. “This seems kinda like cheating but….DO IT, BITCH. I went ahead and tossed the ball at the Magnemite. It went inside and wobbled slightly before becoming still. I thought a second before saying, “Tesla; that’s an awesome name.” See, this is why you'll never get laid, man. Tesla? Gawd. (Also, Tesla exists in the Pokemon world?)

Electric-types had always fascinated me, as electronics and robotics had been my hobby before leaving home. I was going to have fun with this little guy. I only needed one more day of training, tops, before I would challenge Misty.

I'm trying out this new style of reviewing, since I can never shut up when I read something. Tell me what you think?

Chapter 9 - Sabrina's Gym

Trying to finish all the chapters you have out so I can execute my FORUM-WIDE REVIEWING ATTACK...

I'm trying out this new style of reviewing, since I can never shut up when I read something. Tell me what you think?

Excellent. Have I ever told you that your reviews are as entertaining to read as the actual stories (sometimes)? You sir, are hilarious. I'm excited that you noticed my originally unintended rhyming skillz in the first line. I noticed that when I went back to read and edit but decided to leave it like that for teh lulz.

On to business:

"This isn't something you can just montage your way through."
-Old Man​
Yes. Every hero needs a montage. This is the literary equivalent of the cliche epic training montage. Oh, and I threw in some dialogue, character development, and foreshadowing (including some red herrings :dodgy:).

So, put on some Eye of the Tiger because Mr. Main Character is about to get a lot more badass.

Chapter 9

Sabrina turned out to be much the same person as I had originally taken her for. Over the next month I didn’t learn anything about her or her past. She lived very much in the present, and was very straightforward. She expected a constant diligence. Questions were frowned upon as they showed a misunderstanding of the topic. In her words: “Most of the time, your question has already been answered, you may have noticed had you been paying more attention.” Being unobservant seemed a crime that I was constantly reprimanded for.

Despite Sabrina’s strictness, she proved to be an able teacher. Her stern ways made me much more adept at battling and training Pokémon overall. My skills and those of my Pokémon were rising day by day.

After several days passed, I asked Sabrina a question that had been burning in my mind since I had arrived. ”What happened to the city? Where is everyone?”

Sabrina paused before answering. We stood at the side of the gym’s stadium watching Sabrina’s Venomoth battle with my Butterfree.

“Team Rocket happened. Several weeks ago, they invaded. The police force was disabled instantly, a curfew was installed, and many trainers were taken prisoner. The Rockets took over and set up base in the Silph Company headquarters. That leads me to believe that they are after advanced Pokémon technology.”

“Strange,” I replied, watching Locustod whirlwind a poison powder back at Venomoth, “I’ve never heard of them doing anything this big before.”

“I don’t think they have,” agreed Sabrina, “I would head into Silph HQ myself and sort this all out but I would be alone. If I didn’t make it out, no one would be able to provide refuge to rogue trainers in the area.”

“I could go with you,” I suggested. I had already told her about me and Criss’ exploits in Mt Moon.

She didn’t reply for a minute or so. She often did this, testing my patience by not responding. I didn’t bat an eyelash, but instead watched our bug Pokémon slam into each other in repetitive tackle attacks.

Finally, she said, “No. That would be unwise. You are strong, but not ready.”

I didn’t argue, instead watching Venomoth latch onto Locustod’s stomach in a leech life attack. Locustod retaliated with a devastating Confusion. Both Pokémon flew apart and fluttered slowly to the floor.

“Good,” commented Sabrina at my side, “That will be sufficient.” We both recalled our Pokémon.

The Saffron Gym became my home during my stay there. It became apparent that Sabrina did much more there than just accept challenges and fight battles. It turned out that trainers did have to use the place as a refuge, but none stayed for long. Many of them, like me, had sneaked into the city secretly to find out what was going on. Some were actually residents trying to escape the Rocket occupation.

My lessons were very diverse. We started by learning things that didn’t have anything to do with psychic communication. The very first lessons involved developing hand signals that my Pokémon would recognize instead of calling out attacks. I recalled Criss using the same strategy during her battle against the boy’s Zubat in Pewter City.

“Calling out the name of the technique you are using lets the opponent have time to find a way to counter it,” explained Sabrina, “in battle, every second counts.”

“But what if my Pokémon can’t see my hand signs, or misinterprets them?” I asked.

“Calling out the name of the attack is a surefire way to direct your Pokémon but hand signs or psychic contact are preferable when possible.”

As we progressed, my lessons moved into strategy.

“Techniques are unlimited. Names for moves like water gun or flamethrower are only our descriptions of them. Techniques can be combined and altered to make new and unexpected attacks and strategies. The more you train with your Pokémon and the more experience you both have, the better these new techniques can become.”

It turns out that I was already using that strategy. Water gun jump was a common example of this tactic, and I had used it against the girl’s Pidgey on Nugget Bridge.

As training went on, I developed more new techniques for each of my Pokémon. For example, I trained Locustod to use whirlwind on its own powder attacks in order to control their scattering and even delay them if necessary.

She also taught me how to use some attacks to disguise others. I learned this the hard way when during a training battle, Sabrina’s Slowbro laced a water gun attack with a psywave that decimated my unsuspecting Tesla.

Eventually, Sabrina allowed our lessons to move on into developing my psychic powers. I learned to give my Pokémon minute mental nudges that told them to use certain attacks or strategies. This worked much the same way as hand signals but there was even more to learn with psychic powers. As I gained the ability to have longer and longer connections with my Pokémon, many new strategies opened up.

“You must learn to use the power of the speed of thought,” said Sabrina, “with experience, you will be able to assess an opponent’s weak points, how best to exploit them, and be able to give that information to your Pokémon immediately at the beginning of the battle. You should be able to defeat an inexperienced trainer in a single command.”

Evan, the trainer who had found me in the streets of Saffron, turned out to be a nice enough man. Apparently he had only taken up Pokémon several months ago. When Team Rocket attacked the city, he was accosted. Sabrina happened to be passing by and helped him out. This left him in debt to Sabrina, causing him to be incredibly loyal. To a point, he was doing much the same thing that I was at the gym, although lessons seemed rare occasions for him. He instead spent his time doing the housework with his Drowzee.

One day, when the two of us were alone together in the gym’s kitchen after a training session, I asked him about Sabrina.

He laughed at me and squinted his beady eyes. “You ask me like I would know.”

“Well, you did grow up here didn’t you?” I said.

“The only thing I know about her is how she became a gym leader.”

I pulled up a chair and took a seat. “I’m intrigued.”

Evan sat his considerable weight down on a chair across from me while Drowzee used its psychic powers to put on a pot of coffee.

“It was about eight years ago, I think,” he started, scratching his bald head. “She graduated from the Pokémon University here in the city with top marks. Her original plan was to get eight badges and challenge the Elite Four, much like yourself.”

“Her ‘original’ plan?” I asked.

“Yes. She saved the Fighting Dojo here in Saffron for last. Sabrina has a lot of hometown pride, so when she swept every gym trainer and the leader without losing a single Pokémon she was very disappointed.”

“Rather than going to the Pokémon league, she recruited some psychic trainers in the area and started up her own unofficial gym. It got a lot of attention, and when its fame finally outgrew that of the Dojo next door, the Pokémon League said enough. The Dojo was discredited and Sabrina became the region’s most powerful gym leader.”

After hearing that story, I held my teacher in an even higher regard than before. Over the next couple days I had lingering fancies of setting up my own gym in Pallet Town. Eventually though, I disregarded the idea as ludicrous.

A couple weeks in, Sabrina pulled me aside before I went to bed.

“Have you been giving any thought to the mental tampering I mentioned when we first met?”

Immediately, the fear started to rise. I bit my lip, “No, not really.”

“Did you happen across anyone that seemed to mean you a great deal of harm in your journey so far?”

I smirked. “Just the Rockets. And I doubt any of them are psychics.”

She nodded, “You are right. That is highly unlikely. What about Pokémon? Did you see many psychic types?”

The fear intensified even more. I began to sweat, but Sabrina didn’t seem to notice. “Just some Drowzees during my stay in Cerulean, and a Kadabra or two that I didn’t fight.”

“No, they couldn’t do that. Are you sure you didn’t see any Alakazams? Or maybe even a high leveled Hypno?”

I bit my lip. “Nope, none of those.”

She sighed and stared at the wall, “Alright then, tell me if you remember something.” With that, she walked away.

I stepped into the room where I was sleeping and leaned against the doorway. This was not natural. I had to tell her. I wanted to tell her. But I couldn’t. Just thinking of telling Sabrina what I had seen made me break into a cold sweat. I had a fitful sleep that night.

About three and a half weeks in was what I considered to be the epitome of my lessons. I was in the process of battling another trainer, a boy about my age who was trying to get out of the city but had been locked in his home. He had escaped and come to the gym to recover and hide from the Rockets. It was a two Pokémon battle with no premature withdrawals allowed.

It started with Baron against his Raticate; I came out on top in a matter of seconds due to my training. But the other trainer’s second Pokémon, a Graveler, was a Rock type. Even with my new skills I was not able to pull out a second win in a row. I recalled my beaten Pidgeotto and prepared to send out Rainer, knowing he would end the battle in one, maybe two moves, tops. But before I could pull the ball from my belt, Psyke, who I was still carrying around everywhere, leaped in front of me.

Knowing the rules of battling stated that once a Pokémon entered the field, it was the official selected Pokémon, I prepared myself for a tough battle. As far as I knew, Psyke only knew how to teleport, but I could find a way to twist that to my advantage. I was spared the trouble however, as before either of us ordered out an attack, Psyke began to evolve.

It grew to almost my own height, and sprouted a long, bulky tail. A red star formed on its forehead. Its ears grew longer and a long mustached developed below its nose. It held a spoon in one clawed hand.

“Ka-dabra!”

“Confusion,” I said calmly, not having developed hand signs for Psyke quite yet.

The golden Pokémon pointed a clawed finger at Graveler. It rose, shuddered, and fell back to the floor. The battle was over. I shook hands with the other trainer, who withdrew his Pokémon and left the room. I glanced over at Sabrina, who had been watching. She was looking at my new Kadabra.

“He is strong, even for a Kadabra,” she said, “you are lucky.”

I smiled and looked at it too. It blinked at me.

“I know.”

Now that I had a truly psychic Pokémon to work with, my training took a new turn entirely. We began to focus more and more on my psychic abilities and how to accentuate them using Psyke. By channeling my commands through the psychic-type, much more complicated messages could be sent to my Pokémon on the battlefield. I have to admit though; it must have been unsettling at first for them to receive commands in their own minds rather than from my mouth.

Surprisingly enough, Sabrina was even more open to questions during the few rests we had between training sessions. I took the chance to find out more about Criss.

“I really don’t know much about her actually,” answered Sabrina as we handed out food to our tired Pokémon. “She came to me a few months ago, before the city was invaded. She was in the area to find more leads on Team Rocket but decided to challenge me to a gym battle for fun.

“I was blown away by her skills,” continued my teacher, “she even managed to teach me a few things. On a hunch, I convinced her to let me test her psychic abilities. I was correct in assuming that she did in fact possess them. She took me up on my offer to train her and help her hone her skills. She only stayed for a short time, however. Before long, she was off again, looking for more Team Rocket heads to crack. As far as her past… I only know her brother was killed by Team Rocket. And I noticed she seemed to have all of the badges from the Johto region.”

The Johto region? Now we were getting somewhere. “I don’t mean to be nosy,” I explained, “she just never told me much about herself.”

“I understand. She is a rather mysterious person.”

We sat quietly for several minutes, watching our Pokémon eat, before I asked another question. “Where should I go after this?” I asked, “What comes next after this training?”

As usual, she didn’t answer right away. I waited patiently. Then, “As I said before, your training continues however long you want. Even when you leave here, you must diligently practice each day and discover new tactics, abilities. Learn from your surroundings, your mistakes, the mistakes of others. As far as formal training goes, I would suggest Fuchsia City.”

“Koga,” I said.

“Yes, if you tell him I sent you, he will teach you as well. But in a very different way.”

I didn’t question further. I knew I would find out what Koga would be teaching me in time.

NEXT: It's been a month or so since we last saw Nolan. What's he up to?

Last edited:

Excellent. Have I ever told you that your reviews are as entertaining to read as the actual stories (sometimes)? You sir, are hilarious.

Well, about that....There's one thing wrong with this quote. I'll let you figure it out by yourself. You know, for fun. (Hint: It has to do with my avatar.)

I'm excited that you noticed my originally unintended rhyming skillz in the first line. I noticed that when I went back to read and edit but decided to leave it like that for teh lulz.

Heh, well, I am a bit of a rapper myself....You know --

Hey, yo, hi, how y'all doin'?
Me? I'm cool, but who we foolin'?
You know who's the best, oh, you know it's right --
I'm the best reviewer, the rest be
tight.

Yessirree. Me.

MOVING ON.

Chapter three-point-five:

The man finally regained consciousness he didn’t know how many hours later. The bullet wounds on his shoulder had clotted, causing his shirt to stick to him. The arm on that side felt broken, as did several of his ribs. STOP MOVING, YOU IDIOT. DON'T YOU KNOW WHAT BROKEN RIBS DO? THEY POKE YOU TO DEATH. He could feel bruises around his eyes where the goggles had cut into his face. He tore them off, shoved them into his pocket, and took stock of the situation.

His Flygon had clearly been able to slow their fall enough to prevent death, but had worsened its wounds in the process. He took a water bottle out of his backpack and poured some of it on the dragon’s face. That's not how you give water to someone, you bastard. Probably not a great idea for a Ground-type, but it would wake her up. Sure enough, the Flygon’s eyes flickered open behind their goggle-like encasings. It You took away her gender. You metaphorically castrated her. ...Is that even possible? gave a mournful groan.

“I know, easy girl, just let me get you back into your Poke Ball and we can get to the nearest center. I’m pretty sure we’re only a few miles west of Celadon City. We’ll be there in no time.” Enter key, mate.

He reached for his belt, but the dragon’s ball was not there. He looked around the place where he had fallen and he found it sure enough, but in no working state. The ball had been crushed, irreparably shattered. Enter key, mate.

The man let out a groan of his own. “Why oh why didn’t I bring my other Pokémon on this mission? Travelling light, my ass.” You know, there's some innuendo in there somewhere.

Nevertheless, without hesitation, the man resigned himself to his fate. “Might as well get started,” he sighed. With a grunt, he grabbed Flygon’s arm and pulled the creature upright; Just looked it up: Flygons are six-foot-seven (two meters) tall and a hundred-and-eighty pounds (eighty-two kilograms). That dude's a bodybuilder, right? he put its arm around his shoulder. It pinned his broken arm rather painfully to his side, but he ignored it. Slowly, he took a step forward. Then another. It was like this that he haltingly made his way towards the city. “This is gonna take a while….

“Flah….

Chapter four:

About three hours later, with Tesla all healed and ready to fight, I went for a walk down Nugget Bridge. It was relatively crowded, at least compared to what I was used to. The bridge was a popular tourist destination and was famous for its amazing views of the sunset behind Mount Moon as well as excellent fishing. Personally, I was looking for some challengers to test my newest Pokémon on.

It was still about an hour to sundown but I stopped and leaned against the railing anyway, looking out at the mountain. Tesla hovered down beside me and rested on the rail. I missed Criss; it had been nice having a companion for a while, despite the situations she got me into. And also the fact she's an axe-crazy, batshit insane psycho. But aren't most girls like that anyway?

I stood there for a while, lost in thought before I was interrupted by a girl a few years older than me with a Pidgey perched on her shoulder. Enter key here, mate.

“That’s a cool Magnemite,she said. Enter key here, mate.

“Thanks, I just caught it,” I replied, smiling at my newest Pokémon. Oh, Keith, you pimp.

“Sometimes Magnemite will come over from the power plant. But they stay in the eastern fields so people usually don’t catch them,” said the girl. KEITH, GO AFTER THIS GIRL. SHE'S JUST AS NERDY AS YOU.

“That’s where I caught this one,” I told her, tapping Tesla on the head (well, on its top, at least; Magnemites were all head). “I went over there to train when I saw it.”

“You train on the east side? Wow, you must be some trainer.”

“Thanks, I’m planning on challenging Misty tomorrow.”

“That’s cool. What do you need the badge for? Or are you just doing it for fun?”

I hesitated before replying, “I’m planning on getting eight Indigo League badges so I can challenge the Elite Four.” Enter key here, mate.

She looked at me skeptically, raising an eyebrow. “Oh…you’re one of…those people.” ...Hm? Huh? Wait. Where'd all the nerdy love go?

I turned my whole body to look at her. “Yeah. Is there something wrong with that?”

“Well,” she replied, almost laughing, “no one actually does that anymore….

I was getting a little miffed, but unfortunately, she was right. When you turn sixteen and graduate from high school, you’re given the option of registering for the Pokémon league. If you do, they give you a choice of three starter Pokémon, which varies depending on the region, and a free pokedex. In return, you have to challenge the gyms of your region and possibly even the elite four. If you win, you become champion, which is every little kid’s dream. They do this in order to make new, strong, Comma unneeded. trainers that are then ripe for recruitment into the police force or one of many Pokémon academies and universities. Enter key here, mate.

It seems like a win-win situation, doesn’t it? But the problem is that not many people want to leave home at sixteen. They usually get a Pokémon as a gift from their family and go through life as a normal person, going on to college, and then getting a normal job. Accepting the challenge is seen as the poor man’s way out. On top of all that, people rarely win. That’s an established fact. People, Comma unneeded. like me, who actually think they have a chance at winning, are seen as immature and a little crazy.

Despite all of that, Tim, David, and I had all promised each other that we would take the challenge and try our hardest to become champions. For me, it hadn’t really been a choice. I’m sure if I had actually said no, my mom would have found a way to pay for me through college -- but I didn’t want to put that burden on her.

So for this reason I was a little angry at this girl for mocking me. “What makes you think I won’t go far? I doubt you could beat me.” Maybe I had gone a little far in actually calling this person’s dignity into question, but I was kind of ticked off and hankering for a battle.

“Oh yeah? I’ll accept that challenge,she said angrily. Hey, you started it, man -- er, woman.

I was a little surprised. “Right here?”

“Yeah, right here. People battle on the bridge all the time.”

The bridge was fairly wide, so I accepted. We walked down a little farther anyway to avoid the crowds. “Here’s good,” she said.Three-on-three?”

“I’ll win with two,” I said confidently. This made her even angrier. Aren’t Pokémon great? I thought. Nothing else would let us settle a dispute like this. YEAH, COCK-FIGHTING ROCKZ!

She sent out her first Pokémon, a Mankey. I looked at Tesla and nodded. It hovered in front of me with a robotic-sounding, “Mag-a-na-mite.”

“Mankey! Focus Energy!” cried the girl.

“Break that focus with a Screech,” I commanded calmly.

My Magnemite let out a high-pitched sound of metal scraping on metal. I tried hard not to let even a slight wince of annoyance cross my face, but I doubted my opponent would have noticed. She was covering her ears. The Mankey had followed suit; any possible effects of its previous technique was gone. Enter key here, mate.

“Sonic Boom,” I said through gritted teeth.

The blast sent the Mankey skidding off across the bridge. Enter key here, mate.

Its trainer was outraged.Get up! Use Karate Chop!” Enter key here, mate.

But it was too far away; Tesla’s Thundershock hit the pig monkey in mid-air. Its slightly singed body slid up to my feet. Enter key here, mate.

I wrinkled my nose; it smelled horrible. “I hope they have a bath at the Pokémon center. That thing’s in desperate need of a cleaning.” O-oh, snap!

The girl ignored my jibe, instead silently recalling Mankey and sending out a female Nidoran. This was going to be even easier. Enter key here, mate.

Without a word, I called Tesla back to my side and threw out Rainer. The two battling Pokémon slowly stepped around each other, waiting for their trainers’ commands. Enter key here, mate.

Rainer looked over its shoulder at me. Enter key here, mate.

“This one’s all yours,” I whispered. It nodded.

“Nidoran, Tackle!” cried the girl. It jumped forward. Rainer braced its feet on the edge of one of the planks making up the bridge’s deck and stuck out its arms. My Squirtle was clearly on a much higher level than the Nidoran. The little blue Pokémon tackled with its whole body, but Rainer stood steady, pushing against its head. Tesla bounced excitedly beside me and floated low to the ground, as if to get a better view.

Then Rainer pulled a surprise move: It rolled forward, over the Nidoran, landing on its own back. This caused the Nidoran to do a flip of its own as Rainer still had a hold on its ears. Without hesitation, the tiny turtle Pokémon tossed the Nidoran at one of the bridge handrails. It collapsed, Comma unneeded. with a whimper. Enter key here, mate.

My Squirtle got up and looked at me smugly. Praise be to the bubble-blowing turtle. And Enter key here, mate.

“Wow, Rainer that was awesome,” I commented. Tesla gave a congratulatory, “Mag-a-na-mite!” and spun around happily.

A couple passersby were staring at my Pokémon in awe. Enter key here, mate.

“Let’s do this next one together.” Enter key here, mate.

I looked up at the girl.

She had withdrawn her Nidoran. She was staring at me and biting her lip. Then she looked at the Pidgey on her shoulder and nodded. The bird jumped off her shoulder and dived at my Squirtle with a cry. Inspired by Rainer’s stunning solo performance, I began to call out commands.

“Bubble!” Enter key here, mate.

A stream of bubbles flew from the turtle’s mouth. They did little but make the Pidgey blink and slow its dive. Enter key here, mate.

“Roll out of the way…now!” Enter key here, mate.

My Pokémon dodged at the last second. “Now hit it with a Water Gun before it turns around!” The blast of water sent the Pidgey flying, fast.

“Pidgey, grab the handrail and use Gust.” Enter key here, mate.

The bird clawed at the board and got a grip before the water torrent launched it out into the river. It beat its wings furiously and a gust of air began to push the blast of water back, inch by inch, dissipating it into a spray. We were at a stalemate. Tesla settled itself on my shoulder and continued watching the battle.

I needed a little bit of extra force, but how could I get it? An idea began to formulate I think you mean "form." in my head. Enter key here, mate.

“Okay, Rainer, use Water Gun at your feet and jump up!” Enter key here, mate.

My Pokémon deftly jumped in the air, above the gust, and used Water Gun to propel itself even higher. “Now use Water Gun at that Pidgey!”

“Counter it with another Gust!” cried the girl, but she knew it was over.

Rainer fell at the Pidgey, blasting it with water. With gravity on our side, the Pidgey’s Gusts couldn’t keep up. The Water Gun knocked the Pidgey off of the rail and onto the ground. My Squirtle landed on the rail gracefully and jumped down to my feet, where it began to glow. Squirtle is a BAMF. Callin' it now.

It had clearly been waiting to evolve for a while because it changed much quicker than my Pidgey had. Long white ears shot out of its head; its tail split and turned white; its skin and shell darkened; and it grew about a foot taller. My new Pokémon turned to me. Enter key here, mate.

“Tortle!” Fangs were evident in its mouth. Tesla chattered in surprise and amazement.

The girl withdrew her Pokémon and sneered at me. “Woop-de-doo, you beat a civilian trainer and your Squirtle evolved. Do you want a medal?” God, where'd the love go?

“I want you to admit I have a chance at fighting the Elite Four.”

She just gave a big “humph” and walked by me with her arms crossed.

Rainer and Tesla chattered in laughter and gave each other an awkward sort of Pokémon high-five. I looked down at Rainer and smiled; it had been an incredibly productive day. Criss would have approved. Enter key here, mate.

Feeling exceptionally badass, Nope, sorry, but Keith, your Wartortle is the real badass in this fic. I popped up the collar of my jacket against the increasing wind and strode off down the bridge with Rainer and Tesla at my side. Poppin' the collar? Dude, that's the Mark of the Douche. A stunning sunset silhouetted I think you mean, "A stunning sunset threw the mountains into shadow to my right." the mountains to my right. Tomorrow I would challenge Misty. Tomorrow I would take my next step towards becoming a champion.

HOMEWORK TIME: Click this link for pointers on semi-colons. I think you'll like it. Trust me.

Well, about that....There's one thing wrong with this quote. I'll let you figure it out by yourself. You know, for fun. (Hint: It has to do with my avatar.)

Mah bad. Sometimes I talk, err... type without thinking.

I found those chapters to be rather poorly written. I'm nervous for when you read the next couple because they don't get any better. Especially chapter six. I shudder at the thought. But that's why you're here, right?

Yes, both characters were supposed to come across as a pompous douche bags in that chapter. And of course they'll sound like nerds, they're my characters after all. And I write freaking POKEMON FAN FICTION. NERDINESS FTW!

HOMEWORK TIME: Click this link for pointers on semi-colons. I think you'll like it. Trust me.

You have successfully taught me more about the written English language than my last five years of Language Arts teachers. *Applause*:party:

Mah bad. Sometimes I talk, err... type without thinking.

I found those chapters to be rather poorly written. I'm nervous for when you read the next couple because they don't get any better. Especially chapter six. I shudder at the thought. But that's why you're here, right?

Wait. Are we still talking about my gender?

And I'm here for you ALL THE WAY, MAN. Believe in the heart of the cards, or something like that! BELIEVE.

Yes, both characters were supposed to come across as a pompous douche bags in that chapter. And of course they'll sound like nerds, they're my characters after all. And I write freaking POKEMON FAN FICTION. NERDINESS FTW!

I do like douchebag-gy characters....

You have successfully taught me more about the written English language than my last five years of Language Arts teachers. *Applause*:party:

Thank the Oatmeal. Thank it, and be glad.

Chapter five:

I awoke early the next morning and made my way to the gym. With Tesla I would be able to win with relative ease. ...Okay. What's that got to do with anything? I pushed open the gym’s doors and walked straight in. The building was a little bigger than Brock’s gym had been. A huge pool took up most of the space in the center, floating platforms randomly spotted its surface. I walked around its edge carefully, as the floor was wet. Tesla floated behind me and hummed softly. Misty stood at the far end, talking to a big man holding a video camera. Misty looked to be about nineteen, but shorter than me and with red hair tied up in a ponytail. I called to her. Enter key here, mate.

“Misty? My name’s Keith. I’m here to compete for a Cascade Badge.”

She turned around. “Hi! That’s great. I haven’t had a challenger in a few days so I’m raring to go.”

I looked at the man behind her; he held out his hand and said, “I’m from the Pokémon Battle Network; Misty has agreed to let us film some of her battles for our TV show, if that’s okay with you, of course.”

I shook his hand.Yeah! That would be awesome!” I was going to be on TV!

“As I’m sure you know,” began Misty, “I use Water-type Pokémon so we will be battling in and on the pool. If you don’t choose to use a Pokémon that can swim, the platforms will provide a surface.”

“Sounds good,” I replied.

We took our places at opposite ends of the pool. The cameraman was the acting referee. With the camera balanced on his shoulder, he called out, “Each trainer will be allowed two Pokémon. Both the challenger and the leader will be allowed to switch Pokémon at any time. Let the match begin!”

Without a word, Misty tossed a Poke Ball out over the water. A Staryu came out and stood up on one of the platforms. I had looked up Misty’s Pokémon the night before so I knew what to expect. I waved out Tesla.

“Staryu! Swift attack!” cried Misty.

“Do the same,” I told Tesla.

Glowing stars shot out of Staryu’s jewel and my Magnemite’s eye. They collided in mid-air and disappeared in a multitude of tiny explosions.

“Thundershock,” I said calmly. A bolt of electricity lanced out of my Pokémon’s magnets and arched towards the Staryu.

“Dodge and use Minimize,” commanded Misty. Enter key here, mate.

The starfish leaped out of the way, landing on another platform, and contracted its arms into its body, making it a significantly smaller target. I knew what I had to do. If I could just get Staryu to go into the water, Tesla could easily shock it into submission. Misty seemed to realize this, though, and did not command her Pokémon to go underwater where it would have the advantage in most other circumstances. Those platforms were just getting in the way, but that could be remedied.

“Tesla, dive underwater and use Sonic Boom.” The water would weaken Tesla’s health, but if my plan worked, it would be worth it.

My Pokémon responded instantaneously. With a slight splash, it fell into the water. A second later, Comma unneeded. there was an explosion, and a huge wave of water overturned all of the platforms, dunking Staryu and splashing Misty. I liked this Sonic Boom attack. Me, too. My Magnemite rose out of the water and spun around in an attempt to dry itself.

“Staryu! Get out of the water!” cried Misty.

“Tesla! Hit the water with a Thundershock!” I commanded.

My Pokémon was faster. There was a series of splashes and a crackle before Staryu’s limp body floated to the surface. Enter key here, mate.

“Staryu is unable to battle. Misty, send out your next Pokémon!” called the cameraman. I tried not to look at the camera; this was going very well.

“Go, Starmie!” A bigger, more purple version of Staryu with twice as many arms appeared on one of the platforms. Tesla backed up to me and gave what sounded like a groan.

“I know, Tesla, just hang in there. I just need you to get a couple of attacks off, then you’re coming out. Stay strong.” Enter key here, mate.

Misty stood, watching and waiting for me to make the first move. It was clearly a trap. Enter key here, mate.

I took the bait. “Tesla, Thundershock.” Enter key here, mate.

“Starmie, Light Screen!”

A panel of light appeared in front of the purple starfish and dissipated the oncoming energy bolts. Enter key here, mate.

“Follow up with a Confusion!” commanded Misty.

Thunder Wave!” I responded.

Tesla released the wave right before the Confusion got a grip on him. The low power attack passed straight through the Light Screen and crackled around Starmie. It appeared to have no effect, but I knew that Starmie would be moving considerably slower after that. The starfish ignored the attack and strengthened its psychic hold on Tesla. A red light grew around my Pokémon; it was clearly in pain. I hoped that its partial Steel-typing at least helped some.

“Try to break free,” I told my Magnemite. “Use Swift.” Enter key here, mate.

It struggled for a second, and the eerie glow surrounding it softened almost unnoticeably. It was enough for the Magnemite to blast out only a few stars of energy. They splattered harmlessly across the Light Screen, but broke the Starmie’s concentration enough for Tesla to escape the psychic grip.

“Let’s do the same thing as before. It worked, so why not? You’re doing great!”

The steel ball once again dropped into the water and let loose a massive wave, and Misty once again could do nothing about it getting electrocuted by another attack. This time, however, her Pokémon managed to crawl back on to a platform with some energy left.

“Recover,” Misty told her Pokémon.

Great, I thought. There goes all that work. I had Tesla let loose another Thundershock. Starmie dodged it easily and jumped into the air.

“Rapid Spin!”

There was not much I could have done. Tesla was tired. It was launched up into the air with the attack and came slamming back down on one of the platforms. This was looking painful.

“That’s enough,” I said, waving at the referee-slash-cameraman and recalled my Magnemite.

“Magnemite has been declared unable to battle. Keith, send out your next Pokémon.”

I smiled inwardly as I took Rainer’s Ball from my belt. This was going along quite a bit like my first gym battle, but this time, everything was according to plan. As my Wartortle appeared in front of me, I looked across at Misty. She was smiling smugly, clearly thinking she had got me with that last combo.

“Rainer,” I whispered to my Pokémon, “dive under the water and come up into a Tackle.”

Misty was waiting for me to make the first move again. She was clearly expecting another special attack as a Light Screen began glittering in front of her Starmie. But as soon as Rainer dived, she realized her mistake. She called for Starmie to dodge the attack, but Wartortles are some of the fastest swimmers in the world. That, on top of the fact that Starmie was still slowed by my previous Thunder Wave, left the starfish completely vulnerable when my Pokémon came blasting out of the water at it. Enter key here, mate.

They collided with a crunch and my Wartortle dragged Misty’s Starmie down into the deep water of the pool. They were beyond our reach. It was all about how strong our Pokémon were. There was no more that neither I nor Misty could do. Honestly, Misty’s Starmie was probably better trained, but after witnessing my then Squirtle’s stunning performance on the bridge the previous evening, I was confident we would be victorious. And indeed, not two minutes later, Rainer came blasting out of the water with Starmie held high above its head and tossed its body onto a platform before landing on its feet, facing the cameraman.

“War-tortle!”

“Starmie is unable to battle. Misty is out of useable Pokémon. Keith wins the battle!”

“Starmie, return,” said Misty, sounding slightly disappointed. Enter key here, mate.

The cameraman and I walked over to her side of the pool, me with Rainer by my side.

“Wow,” exclaimed the man, “that was spectacular.”

Misty looked me in the eyes, almost curiously, “You really don’t screw around, do you, Keith? You just rolled me up and tossed me aside. How do you do it?”

I looked at the ground, flattered. “Just a lot of careful planning and strategy, I guess.” Ha ha, look at that. Keith's trying to act modest! Psht.

“Well, whatever it was, it worked. Here’s the Cascade Badge.She handed me a badge that looked like a blue drop of water. I pinned the badge on the fabric at my belt. It was the second of eight, and maybe more.

“This show will probably air within the next couple of days,” said the cameraman, “if you want to watch it.”

“Awesome, thanks. And thanks to you, too, Misty.Enter key here, mate.

With a final wave goodbye, Rainer and I left. I had at least a week of relaxing left ahead of me. It all depended on how Tim was doing. But I was cool with waiting.

You're improving so much, man. And I don't really have much to say this chapter. I'm commented out.

Chapter 9.5 - Forest near Celadon

So, earlier than I had originally planned, Chapter 9.5. It's been a while since the last decent action scene so I just had to throw this in here. Flygon and Nolan have healed up over the past month or so (awfully convenient for the plot, I know) and are ready to get back to business. Yes, this is what Nolan does for a living.

Chapter 9.5

The convoy of Rockets moved slowly, quietly through the woods. Their orders were clear: deliver the weapons to the encampment and do not get caught.

A total of eight grunts marched in formation around the supply truck as it drove down the narrow dirt road. Two or three of them had handguns hidden on their person, and all of them carried knives. No Pokémon were being used as they were deemed “untrustworthy”.

Suddenly, the lead grunt threw up a hand, and the convoy halted.

One of the grunt’s comrades stepped over to him, “what is it?”

“I saw something on the road ahead,” the man replied, squinting at the shadowed path.

Sure enough, there was a flicker of motion, and a small black figure appeared in the middle of the trail about twenty yards ahead. It was short, perhaps three feet tall.

“Stay here,” the lead grunt said, “I’m going to check this out.”

His comrade nodded and the man cautiously approached the shadowy figure. The second grunt reached into a pocket and withdrew a pistol. He aimed it steadily at whatever it was that had stopped the convoy.

“I’ve got a bad feeling about this,” he whispered to his companions.

The driver of the truck rolled down the window, “what is that thing?”

One of the younger members of the patrol spoke up, “I think it’s a Pokémon….”

The lead grunt had finally reached the figure. It hadn’t moved at all. It looked almost childlike, a small shadow swaying gently in the breeze. Then it twitched.

Eyelids opened on its face revealing two giant red eyes. Ghostly lips peeled back to show an evil, grinning, mouth, like a zipper across the thing’s face. It was the most frightening countenance the inexperienced man had ever seen.

“Baaaanetttte…” it said, smiling widely.

Before the grunt could react, the Pokémon had launched a shadow ball into his stomach. The attack blasted the man backwards, kicking up dirt in its wake and finally slamming him into the truck, which slid backward a foot or two.

The grunt with his gun already out opened fire on the ghost-type, but it was too late. The figure had already disappeared. Small puffs of dirt exploded where his bullets hit the ground on which the Pokémon had been standing milliseconds before.

The few armed Rockets pulled out their own guns and looked wildly around them. There was stunned silence for a few seconds in which only the rustle of the wind in the trees could be heard.

Then there was a rumble, and a crack. Out of the ground behind the truck exploded a giant armored Pokémon.

“Maallldooo” it cried, stabbing its claw like hands into the back of the truck. Effortlessly, it lifted the truck into the air and flipped it over sideways into the ditch beside the road. The driver screamed as the vehicle came crashing down on two of his comrades.

The grunts immediately opened fire on the new threat, but their bullets bounced off of the armor, causing little to no damage at all.

All of a sudden, there was a spray of blood across the road. The grunts not preoccupied with shooting the monstrosity that had attacked them turned to see one of their compatriots gurgling, with a glowing green blade sticking through his chest. The blade unsheathed itself from the man’s torso and the body fell, revealing a rather angry looking Sceptile. Chaos ensued.

Nolan Weiss stepped out from his hiding place behind a tree beside the road and walked into the battle, watching each of the grunts get either smashed or stabbed, one by one.

The last surviving grunt attempted to run away down the road, away from the ambushers.

“Gardevoir,” Nolan said calmly.

The psychic-type immediately teleported next to him.

“Reflect,” its trainer commanded.

A shimmering barrier appeared abruptly in front of the runaway criminal, causing him to slam into it headfirst. He collapsed to the ground, swearing.

Nolan, flanked by Gardevoir, Sceptile, Armaldo, and now Banette, who had just appeared by his side, approached the fallen grunt.

The man turned to look at his assailants and let out a whimper of fear. He began fumbling in his uniform jacket. “Stay where you are!” he yelled, his voice cracking in fright.

Nolan ignored him, and took a step towards the man.

“I said don’t come any closer!” cried the grunt a little less shakily. He finally drew a gun from his jacket pocket and aimed it at Nolan. “Stop! I have a gun!”

Nolan and his entourage halted. “Do you?” he said calmly, “I have a dragon.”

And then, with speed seen in few other Pokémon, Flygon dove from the heavens and slammed into the man, slashing him with its claws. The man gave a scream that was cut short when Flygon hurled him into a tree.

Nolan smiled, satisfied, “well done, everyone.”

Each of his Pokémon cheered. Nolan walked over to Flygon and ran a hand down her neck and chest, feeling her heartbeat and the scar tissue that the bullets had left. A tear came to his eye as he remembered the injuries she had sustained.

He looked up into her goggled eyes. “I love you.”

The dragon crowed soothingly and nuzzled his forehead.

“Flaah….”

Their silent reverie was shattered by the familiar thumping of a helicopter overhead. Nolan looked up. The copter was dark colored but he couldn’t see a symbol from that distance. He turned to the rest of his Pokémon.

“Sorry everyone, but it’s time to get back in your Poké Balls. I’ll let you out again back at the hotel.” He recalled each of his Pokémon except Flygon, whose back he clambered on to.

“Okay, girl, let’s do this right this time,” he said into the dragon’s ear as she beat her wings to take off. “Approach from the bottom rear. If it’s a Rocket copter, use dragon claw under the cockpit.”

They picked up speed as the helicopter grew closer. Sure enough, a red R was emblazoned on the side. Once again, there was a circle around it. “What do you know,” Nolan said, his voice lost in the wind, “we might get lucky this time.”

In a few beats of Flygon’s powerful wings, they had reached the craft. With a high pitched battle cry, the dragon latched on to the bottom of the transparent bubble cockpit. Its claws blazing, it tore open the panel beneath the co-pilot’s seat and the box containing the starboard machine gun. Nolan held on to his Pokémon’s neck for dear life.

Grabbing on to the helicopter with all four limbs, leaving Nolan hanging upside down, Flygon ripped away half of the cockpit’s flooring. With it came a chair, pilot and all. The man cried out in terror as he fell through the air into the forest below, but the roar of the helicopter’s blades drowned him out.

Looking around Flygon’s sinewy neck, Nolan saw the other pilot grasping at his side where he had a holster.

No, thought Nolan, no guns, not this time. “Flamethrower!” he yelled at the top of his lungs.

The dragon’s mouth opened and out poured seething hot flames. The pilot was incinerated in a quick, yet incredibly painful death.

The flames billowed throughout the helicopter and back into the cargo hold. Nolan put his head back behind Flygon’s neck at the withering heat, he could feel slight burns developing on his face already.

Instinctively, Flygon pulled its head out of the shattered cockpit and pushed off of the burning craft. With a graceful swoop that made Nolan’s stomach churn, the dragon righted itself.

The pair stared at the falling ball of flames. It hit the forest a few seconds later and exploded with a resounding bang.

“The boss wasn’t in there, was he?”

The dragon shook its head slowly.

“So much for that then. Revenge sure feels good though, doesn’t it?”

“Goooon…”

They sat there for a minute, bobbing slowly up and down. The only sound was the wind and the steady beating of Flygon’s wings.

Nolan reached down with one hand and adjusted the crotch of his pants.

“We need to get you some sort of saddle. This gets seriously uncomfortable.”

“Flah. Flahgooooon.”

NEXT: Keith wraps it up in Saffron.

Last edited:
Chapter 10 - Sabrina's Gym, final training

Well, it's been a week so I figure it's time for a new chapter. Nothing special to say about this one, besides that it's kind of boring (yet important).

This time: Keith finishes his training in Saffron.

Chapter 10

My final two formal lessons proved to be the most interesting, useful, and strange of them all.

“You must completely access the minds of your Pokémon,” said Sabrina, “looking into the past and memories of new Pokémon will allow you to learn about them and their personalities, and allow you to plan how you will train them.”

It took several days of intense concentration and meditation, but eventually I was able to look completely into the minds and memories of my Pokémon. It was an odd feeling. Their lives flashed before my very eyes, all of the way up until that exact moment. If an event was life changing, or something of the sort, it was in crystal clear detail and went by at normal speed, otherwise the memories just flew by. The first one I connected with was Psyke. I saw some flashes of the field north of Cerulean, but nothing really stood out. Most of the memories seemed to include me. I asked Sabrina about this.

“You are not looking into every detail of every memory that your Pokémon has ever had,” my teacher explained, “You will only see the most important events, the things that are constantly on the Pokémon’s mind and have shaped its character.”’

Both Baron’s and Rainer’s memories comprised almost entirely of me, although I caught some interesting glimpses of the Pokémon league HQ in the latter. Locustod apparently was several years old, and had seen a lot of things around Viridian Forest, but nothing incredibly memorable.

Tesla’s memory was also interesting to see. There was quite a lot of the old Kanto Power Plant, and I could have sworn I saw something more as well, but I thought I surely imagined it. Why would a Zapdos be living in an abandoned power plant?

But directly accessing the minds of my Pokémon didn’t stop there.

“Through your Kadabra, you will be able to merge your mind with that of your Pokémon. You will be able to control them entirely and completely for a short amount of time. With training, you will be able to do it longer and longer.”

The things that I could do with my psychic powers had ceased to surprise me. I was unfazed by this new revelation. “I can see that doing that would eliminate the delay between command and action entirely but it would be at the sacrifice of the extra pair of eyes I provide to my Pokémon.”

“Astutely observed Keith, and that is why you should only use this ability under certain circumstances. I’m sure that you will be a good enough judge of what these circumstances are.”

A few days later, I finally achieved the connection. I freaked out and broke it almost immediately. Rainer, who I had connected to, fell to its knees in a coughing fit for some reason, and I almost collapsed from shock. The feeling of putting one’s mind into another’s body was indescribable. The world itself looked different, the colors, the proportions, everything. Smells and sounds changed. Even though it was still my mind, it became infested instantaneously with the basic wants and needs of a Wartortle’s body. I had become a different being entirely for an instant.

I blinked stars out of my eyes and looked up at Sabrina, who was watching me, emotionless.

“You get used to it,” was all she had to say.

Over time, I did. Eventually, I managed to concentrate enough to actually use the connection and move “my” new body. The control gave me an undeniable, almost frightening feeling of power. Pokémon had the ability to do so many things humans couldn’t. It was addicting, but I limited myself as my Pokémon seemed apprehensive at the idea. In a way, I was apprehensive too. I shuddered at the thought of what it would be like for someone else to control my body. I promised myself to only use the ability in emergency situations.

I entered training with Sabrina thinking I would only pick up a new skill or two, maybe a strategy here and there. I ended up learning more than I ever thought possible. Sabrina’s teachings had changed my life, but after over a month, I was ready to move on.

And that was why I was extremely glad when an all too familiar face walked in on a battle between me and Evan. Upon realizing who it was, I stopped playing around and knocked out Drowzee with a powerful wing attack from Baron.

Deftly recalling my Pokémon and ignoring the groans of Evan, I turned around to look at the newcomer.

“Tim,” I smiled at him, “It’s been a while.”

He smiled back, “Glad to see you’re still in one piece. I wasn’t sure you had even gotten in alright.”

I led him out into the hallway, “You shouldn’t underestimate me. How’d you get into the city?”

He imitated the guard’s gruff voice, “You can’t come through here, it’s off limits,” then he mimed flipping a coin, “no it’s not.”

“You bribed him?” I laughed, “Nice!”

“Hopefully this training of yours pays off,” my friend said, looking around, “you missed quite a bit.”

“I’ll bet, tell me what you’ve been up to.”

It turned out that he had in fact been quite busy. Days after we had parted, he had challenged Lt. Surge in Vermillion City and won on the first try. From there, he traveled up the coast line to Lavender Town where he caught a Gastly in Pokémon Tower and spent a while working for a kind old man called Mr. Fuji. Apparently, Mr. Fuji used to be a Pokémon researcher but now had converted his house into a safe house for abandoned and orphaned Pokémon. Tim worked there for quite a while. Afterwards, he tried again to get into Saffron but took the underground tunnel once more upon finding the city still closed.

The very day that he arrived in Celadon City, he challenged Erika but was beaten.

“I’m telling you, this girl was insane!” he explained, “I managed to get past her Victreebel easily enough with Charmeleon, and then her Vileplume took him out as well as Gastly. Finally, Beedrill helped me pull out another win, but it was all over when she sent out a Tangela. That Pokémon did things that I didn’t even know were possible. It was so fast, vines were going every which way! I couldn’t figure it out!”

There was a slight laugh from the doorway of the room we were in. We both looked up to see Sabrina standing there. “I guess Erika has not lost any of her talent.”

Both Tim and I gave her questioning looks. She explained, “Erika was also one of my students, she was quite adept when it came to strategies,” she looked at me, “but she didn’t quite have the… ability you have.”

I smirked, but Tim was confused.

Sabrina continued, “I am assuming that our training has finally drawn to a close, Keith?”

I nodded, wordlessly.

“It has been a very fulfilling experience for us both. I am sure that you will be able to go far with what you know now. Remember what I told you about Koga. Goodbye, Keith.”

“Goodbye, Sabrina” I responded.

She left the room without a backward glance.

Tim looked at me, “she doesn’t talk a lot, does she?”

I gathered up my already packed backpack and Poké Balls “No, not really.”

“I don’t know how you managed to put up with it.”

We left the gym in the mid-afternoon so a few people were out and about. Luckily, we didn’t see any Rockets. When we passed through the gateway, the guard almost stood up to stop us but, taking a leaf from Tim’s book, I tossed some money onto his desk to keep him happy.

NEXT: Keith puts his new skills to the test against Lt. Surge!

Last edited:

Okay I've read it and It's really good but you really will have to be careful with the mind merging thing as you have built it up quite a bit now and you cant just use it willy nilly but I have faith that you will so good chapter

Right. Finaaaaaally I've managed to catch up, and I'm impressed. I'll try to keep up with it now haha.
Some of the ideas in this are very close to my ideas for Seasons! (Flygon saddle, and being able to connect with pokémon)....
My reasons for it though are much, much different to yours though, but I guess its true what they say, great minds think alike!
My only issue is sometimes this lacks in description, but the story telling is very well presented which kinda makes up for it, so even though I just read like 4 chapters, it didn't feel strenuous, I actually enjoyed reading them :D
At any rate, I'm looking forward to see Keith's new training in action!

Aether! :3 You've been so kind as to review my story, so when I saw you had one posted here as well I naturally felt inclined to do the same. I'm glad I did so; this is quite the interesting read. I've gone through your Prologue and Chapter One and I'm posting my reviews of those two pieces. Seeing as how I'm quite strapped for time at the moment, later on I'll continue reading the rest of your chapters and post individual reviews for those as well (if that's alright with you). Anyways, here goes nothing. :D

Prologue:
My mother gasped; I shouted upstairs for my brother as he rushed down, looking disheveled.
This sentence sounds a bit better without the semi-colon. To me, at least, it seems to flow much better when there's an "as" there instead. Just my perspective, though.
My mother cried. My brother stared ahead, emotionless. We were crowded around the TV. On the screen was a stretcher. On that stretcher was my father. Bleeding. Burnt. My brother turned away. My mother sobbed. I just stared in disbelief.
I really see what you're trying to do here; add emphasis by adding periods. Sadly, it doesn't always work. It became a bit choppy from all the periods and had the exact opposite effect. :< Here, let's try it a different way without all the periods and see how it goes;
My mother cried as my brother stared ahead, emotionless. We were crowded around the TV as a single stretcher worked its way across the screen. A single stretcher with my father on top of it. Bleeding. Burnt. My brother turned away as my mother let out a sob.

I just stared in disbelief.
Don't get me wrong, keep it the way it is if that's how you want it (especially since my examples I come up with in two minutes tend to suck). I was just offering a suggestion. c:

Comments- Excellent prologue. c: Gotta love genetics, and to already start off with the gruesome idea of a family being ripped apart by a vicious team and for the children to watch their father get taken away badly burnt and dying through a TV screen... It's quite powerful. Definitely not the ordinary way to start a fic. Congrats. :p

Chapter One-Pewter City:
It had been a long time since my mom had taken me here to visit the museum. The mountain was bigger than I remembered. Rest would definitely be necessary before I tackled it.
Small note, but these three short sentences in a row just sound sort of odd. Try changing it to "The mountain was bigger than I remembered... Rest would definitely be necessary before I tackled it." That way it's not so "short sentence period short sentence period short sentence period." It adds a tiny spice of variety. Or, y'know, just combine two of the sentences. :3
“I’ll deal with you in a minute,” she said before turning back to her victim.

All I could do was nod and slowly back up to the sign post.
I lol'd so hard. Your character really knows how to stand up for himself, doesn't he? That's great. xD "Oh, you have a knife...? Yeah, I can wait."
“My brother was killed by Team Rocket too, that’s why I’m hunting them down.”
Yay, bonding over family death. <3 No but really, it seems sort of odd he'd so suddenly open up to her. If my family were to get killed by a gang, I wouldn't admit it so... Lightly to a girl who just threw a knife at me, like he does to her and she does to him.
I pushed myself to my feet groggily and recalled what had happened. I picked up my still open Pokédex and put it in my pocket. I looked around for my Pokémon.
Your sentences tend to be "I verb something something something." Which, in and of itself, isn't necessarily a bad thing. But when you stack those sentences on top of each other like that, it starts to not sound as great. Try to spice up your sentences and change their structure a bit more. You could solve this specific quote quite easily; "I pushed myself to my feet groggily and recalled what had happened. Picking up my still-open Pokedex and putting it in my pocket, I began to look around for my Pokemon."
Of course, bugs didn’t blink.
This sentence just sounds relatively awkward to me. Not sure why. It could be "Of course bugs didn't blink," but that would still be awkward. You could always replace it with something like, " I'd nearly forgotten bugs didn't blink" or something along those lines too if you feel like changing it.
Criss stood at one end with her Flareon by her side. In front of her was an Ekans. She was battling a boy who was using a Zubat.
You're just listing things there towards the end. You don't wanna do that. Instead, try mixing things up a bit to make it not sound so much like a grocery list of what you want people to see. "Criss stood at one end with her Flareon by her side, an intimidating Ekans slithering in front of her. Across the field was a young boy, his Zubat flitting around wildly as it tried to keep its distance from the advancing snake." Not only do you add character to the given Pokemon now, but you also give readers a clue of how the battle's progressing. c:
She must have been putting on quite a show, for a fair amount of people had gathered to watch.

I sat down on a bench to watch.
Rarg, you just said that people were watching, so when you say you sit down on a bench to watch, it makes things sound far more awkward than they need to be. Try spicing it up a bit, yet again. "I sat down on a bench, joining them in watching Criss masterfully handle her Pokemon in battle."
T he stream of bubbles caused Onix to rear its head and roar, but didn’t seem to be doing much damage.
“Onix, bide again!”

“Okay, we’ll need something with a little more power. Water gun!” Water began to spray out of the turtle’s mouth. “Finish him before he unleashes the power!”

The jet of water caught Onix across the face and it roared, slumped, and then fell.

“Onix is unable to battle. Brock is out of useable Pokémon. Keith is the winner!”
This entire battle is... Hmm... Pokemon battles are some of the toughest scenes to create, and I'm no good at them either, but I'll try and help you out here as much as I can. You see, when you're writing a battle, it's not like the games. You aren't just sitting there on the side-lines while your Pokemon wait for each other to attack, each one waiting for the other's move and letting it hit or whatever. Pokemon are constantly moving, they're constantly changing their goals. Add emotion! Add drama! Add excitement! >:3 This is his first gym battle, after all! Here, this scene alone, let's see if we can make this more... Action-packed and dramatic.
Squirtle ran at the bulking monstrosity, letting loose a stream of bubbles that smacked against its hardened skin as the rock-type Pokemon let out a defiant roar, slightly weakened by the onslaught. "Change of plans, Squirtle!" I yelled as I could sense Onix's power beginning to build up, the creature biding its time for the perfect attack. "We need more power! Hurry, water gun!" Squirtle quickly reacted, rushing the monster as it built up its reserves of water deep inside its stomach. As Onix went to unleash its ultimate attack, Squirtle jumped into action, letting loose a violent wave of water that slammed into the creature, making it utter a painful cry as it crumpled to the ground before the challenger. I could feel the entire room stare at the turn of events in disbelief as the shocked referee's voice filled the stadium.

"O-Onix is unable to battle... Brock is out of usable Pokemon. Keith, congratulations! You're the winner!"
That's probably a shit example, but I just wrote it on the fly. :< I just wanted to show you the possibilities of adding drama and tension to the battle rather than listing attack after attack. Also, it could do you well to add depth and characterization to Brock and his gym. It seemed to me that you just wanted to rush through that part and add it in to the chapter. Take your time; writing a story isn't a race. Explain in detail Keith's feelings as he walked into the gym for the first time ever, when he meets Brock, how Brock reacts and the feelings Keith gets from him (this is first person, after all). Also, try and add more conversation so you can see how Brock really is. Right now it's as if Brock is a static character like the gym leaders in the game, which simply isn't true since the rest of your characters aren't.

Comments- I absolutely adore Criss. I have no idea why, but I just think she's great. xD You did very well showing off her personality in this, and it was nice getting to know Keith through his interactions with her as well (I probably wouldn't have known he was as spineless as he was if you didn't show it during that knife scene by the sign post :p). The plot's moving along nicely, and I'm excited to see just where things go from here. Can't wait for Chapter Two.
I'm absolutely loving your story. Kanto's never been my favorite region, but it's definitely the most nostalgic one, that's for sure. I look forward to seeing you make the other locations come to life as well as you have Viridian "Hellhole" forest and Pewter City. :p Kudos, Aether, and definitely an excellent read. It's refreshing to see new, unique characters and an original plot. Congrats.

Chapter 11 - Battle vs. Lt. Surge

Okay I've read it and It's really good but you really will have to be careful with the mind merging thing as you have built it up quite a bit now and you cant just use it willy nilly but I have faith that you will so good chapter

Thank you for pointing this out. I have my doubts about how this will work out and its good to know that you have the same concern. In all honesty, the ability won't get much exposition as far as the story goes for a long time. I'll work hard to keep it relevant and important. Thanks for keeping up!

Right. Finaaaaaally I've managed to catch up, and I'm impressed. I'll try to keep up with it now haha.
Some of the ideas in this are very close to my ideas for Seasons! (Flygon saddle, and being able to connect with pokémon)....
My reasons for it though are much, much different to yours though, but I guess its true what they say, great minds think alike!
My only issue is sometimes this lacks in description, but the story telling is very well presented which kinda makes up for it, so even though I just read like 4 chapters, it didn't feel strenuous, I actually enjoyed reading them :D
At any rate, I'm looking forward to see Keith's new training in action!

I'm pretty sure there are also similarities between this and Rival's Story if I'm not mistaken. But it wasn't on purpose! The connection has been in my head as an idea since I started writing. And the saddle idea was kind of an afterthought after Italics pointed out how tough it would be to hold on during flight. I'm working on my descriptions, hopefully this next chapter is better. Thanks for reading!

Aether! :3 You've been so kind as to review my story, so when I saw you had one posted here as well I naturally felt inclined to do the same. I'm glad I did so; this is quite the interesting read. I've gone through your Prologue and Chapter One and I'm posting my reviews of those two pieces. Seeing as how I'm quite strapped for time at the moment, later on I'll continue reading the rest of your chapters and post individual reviews for those as well (if that's alright with you). Anyways, here goes nothing. :D

I'm absolutely loving your story. Kanto's never been my favorite region, but it's definitely the most nostalgic one, that's for sure. I look forward to seeing you make the other locations come to life as well as you have Viridian "Hellhole" forest and Pewter City. :p Kudos, Aether, and definitely an excellent read. It's refreshing to see new, unique characters and an original plot. Congrats.

I'll likely be making those changes as soon as I get around to it. Chapter by chapter reviews are great. I'm glad you think my characters are unique, I'm surprised that Keith hasn't been accused of Marty-Sueism yet. The locations are actually something I'm trying to focus on. I love hiking and looking at landscapes, cityscapes, etc, so setting description is really important to me. I want to build settings that you could put any sort of character in and they would have an adventure. I'm glad you like it!

And now, here's my first try at a "high-quality" chapter. I really like how it turned out, hopefully you all will too.

This time: Keith fights Lt. Surge!

Chapter 11

Vermillion City, “the Port of Exquisite Sunsets,” or so proclaimed the sign on the wall of the first building we passed. It was certainly a smaller town than Saffron, but much more active. Currently, however, the sun was high in the sky.

The salty smell of sea air and the cool breeze in my face reminded me of Pallet Town. I closed my eyes and smiled at the nostalgia as we walked down the cobblestone streets.

I followed Tim to where the gym was apparently located, in the marina. We walked through a crowded marketplace full of fish vendors and people trying to pawn off bits of sea-polished glass and odd looking pieces of driftwood. This was definitely a lot like home, but bigger.

In all honesty, I expected Tim to stop to get something to eat at one of the stalls but he plowed on ahead. I guess he was just eager to get a move on.

I was lost in thought as we maneuvered through the crowd when I bumped into a very tall man.

“Sorry,” I said, not looking at him. I kept walking; Tim had stopped to let me catch up.

“Hey!” yelled the man in a loud, gruff voice. “Well, look at that. The pussy has a boyfriend.”

“Great,” Tim muttered to me, “you found Surge.”

I turned to look at the intimidating figure which had approached us. The lieutenant was tall, very tall. He was probably about a foot and a half taller than me, and that’s saying something. And he wasn’t skinny either. Massive muscles bulged out of each arm; veins even showed in his thick neck. He was wearing a sleeveless green shirt and grey cargo pants. His hair was a short, blond, crew cut.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing back here?” the gym leader yelled at my friend, “did you want to get your little ass beat around by me? Or maybe you brought your little fag friend here for a romantic getaway!”

His loud insults were beginning to attract attention. “I thought you beat him,” I whispered to Tim.

“I did,” my friend replied, swallowing.

“Beat me?” said Surge, as loud as ever, “It was a fluke! Just because I lost doesn’t mean you beat me. HA! As if!”

This guy was really starting to piss me off. I stood up straight and looked him in the eye as best as I could.

“Actually,” I said, angrily, “yeah, that’s exactly what it means. Don’t be a bitch.”

The last sentence just slipped out. It proved to be a mistake. Surge raised one large hand and planted it on my chest. He pushed me backwards, hard, into Tim, causing both of us to fall over.

Untangling our limbs, I stood up and glared at Surge. He was just standing there with his arms crossed, laughing. Rage and hatred flowed through my body. I clenched my fists so hard that my fingernails cut into my palm. I was about to jump at the gym leader and plant a fist in his pompous, laughing face when I felt a hand on my shoulder. It was Tim.

“It’s not worth it, dude. Don’t stoop to his level. Stay classy.” He grinned at me.

Stay classy. It had been our graduating class’ motto. Tim’s reference to our life in Pallet Town helped me control my anger. I turned back to the lieutenant, who had stopped laughing. Now he just stood with a big, stupid grin on his wide face. People all around had stopped to watch the confrontation.

This time, I stood at a safe distance when I insulted him.

“All right you ass-licking cunt,” I said. “I’m challenging you to a gym battle. Three on three, right?”

The military man ignored my remark, “Yeah, but I doubt I’ll need that many to wipe the floor with you.”

“I’ll beat you with one,” I replied, “and I won’t say a single command. See you at the marina, asshole. Come on, Tim.” Without waiting for a response, I grabbed Tim’s arm and turned away to push through the crowds of people now surrounding us. They parted to let me and my friend by.

Before we turned the corner at the end of the street, I looked back over my shoulder. Lt. Surge was still standing there, the grin wiped from his face. My confidence had clearly put him off somewhat. I had no doubt that I was the one who would be doing the floor wiping. No one insults my friend and gets away with it.

About an hour later, Tim and I stood at the docks. The “gym” consisted of only a battlefield.

The battlefield was a part of the docks, a rectangular, wooden raft. About three feet of open water separated it from the pier on all sides. It was the smallest field I had been on, but left enough room in the middle for battling. A tall, mustached League referee stood on one of the long sides of the raft.

Surge stood on the short end of the raft opposite us.

“Hahaha! Let’s get this over with you little fag!” he yelled at me.

I didn’t respond, instead handing my backpack to Tim and jumping on to my end of the raft. I drew a single Poké Ball from my belt.

The gym leader seemed to have recovered from his shock earlier. Confidently, he cried out, “Voltorb! Kick some ass!” and threw his first Poké Ball forward.

Again, I didn’t say anything. Casually, I tossed out my own Poké Ball.

“Ka-dabra!”

Sailors, dockworkers, and tourists walking by on the pier began to stop to watch. Some of them cheered for Surge, some of them for “the Kadabra kid.”

I took a deep breath. My Pokémon’s large tail twitched ever so slightly as I made psychic contact with it.

“Tackle!” called out my opponent.

This was going to be very easy. Barrier, I told Psyke.

The red and white ball rolled forward quickly, only to roll straight into our invisible barrier. It pushed through, but was slowed down to an entirely non-threatening pace. Psyke coolly stopped the ball with its foot before blasting it backwards with a psybeam. I don’t think the poor electric-type even realized what was going on.

It spun around to slow itself to a halt at the feet of its furious trainer.

“That’s it. Get in close and use self-destruct!” Surge yelled.

Had this guy really been in the army? He knew nothing about keeping strategy a secret.

Voltorb once again rolled forward, but this time it began to glow in a similar fashion to evolution.

Psychic, I told my Pokémon.

The ball was glowing brighter as Psyke’s telekinetic powers lifted it into the air. Nonchalantly, the psy Pokémon tossed it over the heads of the spectators into the water on the far side of the pier.

“No!” shouted my opponent in dismay, but it was too late.

From behind the crowd a muffled explosion was heard, and a large column of water shot up into the air. Surge, red with anger, jumped off our raft onto the main pier in pursuit of his Pokémon. Shoving people out of the way, he cleared a path. I could see his Voltorb floating bottom up in the water, bobbing in the waves like a fishing lure.

“Voltorb is unable to battle, Kadabra wins,” stated the referee, bluntly.

The gym leader recalled his Pokémon and jumped back into his position on the far side of the raft.

“Your next Pokémon?” asked the referee. He seemed unfazed by Surge’s anger. I guess you got used to this kind of stuff.

“You’re dead, kid. Go Pikachu!” cried out my opponent.

I almost laughed out loud. The cute little electric mouse was definitely not one of the Pokémon I had imagined the tough-guy Lt. Surge to have. Cuteness aside, its power was not on par with the kind of Pokémon that were usually sent out in accompaniment with death threats.

My opponent focused on his Pokémon’s speed abilities, using agility and quick attack to get in close. It didn’t work very well, as Psyke teleported around the raft every second or so and put up barriers, but eventually a single quick attack made contact.

Surge laughed in victory but got arrogant. He ordered an iron tail, despite the fact that my Kadabra was now the whole length of the raft away from Pikachu. His Pokémon obeyed this folly and leaped into the air with what was actually an incredible amount of height for such a small Pokémon.

I knew iron tail would be a powerful attack, so I had Psyke take a step backwards and put up as many barriers in the way of Pikachu as possible.

As I had planned, the metallic glow in Pikachu’s tail died ever so slightly with each barrier it passed through. In a possibly risky attempt to humiliate Surge, I had Psyke reach out with a bare hand and grab the mouse’s tail in mid air.

I felt my Kadabra grimace as a painful shock wave shivered up and down its arm at the contact, but it held on. The pain traveled through our connection into my own arm, which I grasped with a sharp intake of breath. We were temporarily disconnected, but I dove right back in.

The crowd gasped collectively and Surge swore, but no one was more shocked than Pikachu, who didn’t even know to react while it dangled upside down from Psyke’s hand, dazed.

Psyke flicked it casually on the nose with its spoon, and blasted it away with a psybeam before it recovered its senses.

“Pikachu is unable to battle. Kadabra wins.”

Surge didn’t even say anything this time. I couldn’t tell what was going through his head, but the veins bulging in his neck made it clear that he was more furious than ever.

I only had to take out one more Pokémon. I was sure it would be the hardest of the three, but Psyke wasn’t even breathing hard yet. I sent it some reassuring support through our psychic connection.

In all honesty, taking out all three of his Pokémon with just Psyke wasn’t a complete necessity. But, for the sake of both my dignity and Tim’s, I had to do it.

My opponent’s third and final Pokémon came out attacking.

“Rai-CHUUU!” it cried, in a much more gravelly voice than its pre-evolution.

A powerful thunderbolt near instantaneously bridged the gap between our two Pokémon. I ordered a light screen, but it did little.

The electricity crackled through my Kadabra’s muscles, causing them to tense and spasm uncontrollably. Our connection blurred, and almost failed.

Confusion, I sent hastily.

Psyke’s psychic nudge spun Raichu around, causing the electricity to break off.

“Body slam!” ordered Surge, before I could even recover.

That’s it! Teleport, then recover, I told Psyke.

The electric mouse leaped at my Pokémon, seeking to flatten it beneath its mass. At the last second, Psyke disappeared and reappeared at the far side of the raft, near to Surge. It glowed, sparkling slightly as it recovered energy.

Now that we were back at square one, with both Pokémon at full health, the battle really began.

Raichu was strong, there was no doubt about that. I did have doubts, however, about its trainer. His constant calling out of techniques was so incredibly easy to manipulate that I almost felt sorry for his Pokémon. Raichu’s sheer power, though, made it difficult to turn my evasions and parries into genuinely powerful counterattacks. I only managed to land a couple confusions here and there.

Soon enough I found my chance. Raichu had just knocked Psyke’s feet out from under it with an iron tail. Expecting another teleport out of harm’s way, Raichu jumped backwards, rather than following up on its attack. I took the opportunity to grab hold of it with a psychic attack from my Kadabra. Before the electric type could wrestle free, like it had several times before, I had Psyke launch as powerful of a psybeam as it could manage.

The bright beam of energy struck Raichu square in the chest, eliciting cheers and groans from the crowd. The Pokémon flew backward at the impact, crashing into its trainer.

Surge took a step backward to steady himself, only to find that there was nowhere to step behind him. He lost his balanced and fell into the water between the raft and the pier, swearing loudly. A majority of the crowd burst out laughing at his spluttering in the water.

Raichu collapsed on the deck.

“Raichu is unable to battle, Kadabra wins. This battle goes to Keith!” cried the referee to a cheering of the small crowd. I guess Surge was not very well liked, even in his own town.

I recalled a spent Psyke and watched Surge attempt to climb back aboard the raft. The referee walked up to me and held out his hand. In it was the Thunder Badge.

“The League doesn’t trust him to actually hand these out, so this is for you,” said the man.

I took the pin from his hand and examined it. It was yellow, in the shape of an eight pointed star, with an orange octagon in the middle.

“You should probably get out of here,” suggested the referee, “Surge is known to strangle competitors who beat him.”

“Point taken,” I replied, pinning the badge to my fabric piece on my belt.

I turned and jumped back onto the pier. Tim handed me my backpack and gave me a high five.

“That was awesome, you kicked his ass! I guess Sabrina’s training really paid off,” said my friend.

I just nodded, adrenaline from the battle still in my veins. We started off down the pier, ignoring the shouts behind us of “where is that cheating little fuck?!”

I wanted to write a gym battle where Keith totally kicked ass, but without it getting boring because of the lack of suspense. I'm satisfied with the result. What do you think?

NEXT: To Lavender Town! Action scene time!

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom