• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

News WARNING: MAJOR BUG

SolarPhantom

Reaction score
So, I am a shiny hunter and got a few painful shinies before I recently got my pokedex to 300 (301 with magearna) and got my shiny charm.
I decided to play ORAS one last time today before I transfer that living dex to the pokebank, played for about 3 hours and transfered the pokemon to the bank to wait for the january update.

To bad for me, when I went back to Sun "Your data is not compatible with this version"..........
I saved, quit game through the menu and even out of habit shut off my system before running ORAS.
I lost a Shiny Ninetales that took me 5500+ eggs, a Shiny Decidueye that took 1261 resets, a shiny Lycanrock who I got after my shiny charm and 160 hours worth of play time all because I decided to play ORAS for 3 hours. You have got to be kidding me. Be warned all, playing a gen 6 game may ruin your gen 7 data.

This hit so hard I dont even want to play anymore... 5500+ eggs aka 90 hours worth of hatching gone in the blink of an eye.

Playing a gen 6 games doesn't do anything to the gen 7 data. There are other reasons to why this has happen.

Playing a gen 6 games doesn't do anything to the gen 7 data. There are other reasons to why this has happen.
I dont know what another reason could be then, I have the digital copy so no powersaves and I dont PKhex.

The save did not become incompatible when I played MHGen, MH4U, Persona or Fire Emblem, but right after i play Omega Ruby, my save no longer works.

I agree the timing appears suspect, but you can never rule out a freak event. If it were a legit bug then there'd be news floating around about it (like XY's Lumiose City save bug).

I am confused about what happened here.

You played ORAS, then played Sun, and.... the game told you that your data was incompatible for no reason? I don't understand what exactly happened. Did your save data get corrupted? Did this occur the moment you booted up Sun, or were you trying to do something else?

I am confused about what happened here.

You played ORAS, then played Sun, and.... the game told you that your data was incompatible for no reason? I don't understand what exactly happened. Did your save data get corrupted? Did this occur the moment you booted up Sun, or were you trying to do something else?

It did it as soon I booted up Sun after playing Omega Ruby.

You know, the one thing I am not looking forward to is re-obtaining the 300 pokemon for the shiny charm. The GTS is just pure trash.

I still don't understand what exactly had happened. Pokemon Sun is not able to communicate with ORAS in any way, and even if it could, I don't see why it would by simply booting up a game. So I don't see how that would corrupt your data.

Isn't it possible that this could simply just be a glitch in Sun itself without any relation to ORAS? Did you happen to last save your game inside a Poke Center or the Battle Tree?

I still don't understand what exactly had happened. Pokemon Sun is not able to communicate with ORAS in any way, and even if it could, I don't see why it would by simply booting up a game. So I don't see how that would corrupt your data.

Isn't it possible that this could simply just be a glitch in Sun itself without any relation to ORAS? Did you happen to last save your game inside a Poke Center or the Battle Tree?
I saved in the Battle Royal Dome.

And you didn't do anything unusual like copying data between memory cards, right?

Have to rule out the easy possibilities, like this one mentioned in the manual:

Notes regarding the downloadable version:

WARNING! When you back up the data on a personal computer or another device, the saved data is backed up as well. However, if you continue playing and then overwite the data on your SD card with the backup data, the saved data will not be usable.

And you didn't do anything unusual like copying data between memory cards, right?

Have to rule out the easy possibilities, like this one mentioned in the manual:
Nope.
All i have is my one 16 gb SD card right now.

I saved in the Battle Royal Dome.
And that's likely your problem.

I have heard of glitches cropping up after people saved inside the Poke Center and Battle Tree, and it may as well extend over to the Battle Royal Dome as well. I've seen character model glitches, but I've also heard of save data becoming corrupted as well. I've since made it into a habit not to save my game in any of those areas.

I'm honestly surprised Game Freak isn't looking into this yet. I don't care about the Rocky Helmet bug. Something like this is more concerning.

I have heard of glitches cropping up after people saved inside the Poke Center and Battle Tree, and it may as well extend over to the Battle Royal Dome as well. I've seen character model glitches, but I've also heard of save data becoming corrupted as well. I've since made it into a habit not to save my game in any of those areas.

I'm honestly surprised Game Freak isn't looking into this yet. I don't care about the Rocky Helmet bug. Something like this is more concerning.

Because that save glitch seemingly only occurs for players using PKHeX, it isn't an actual bug.

I've found someone else reporting the same problem and people are blaming it on a bad SD card. This could be possible as you say you have the digital game, which saves on the SD card. Replacing it would be a save thing to do I think.

I also doubt it has anything to do with ORAS, or else this problem would be all over the internet, like the PKHeX saving bug.

Because that save glitch seemingly only occurs for players using PKHeX, it isn't an actual bug.

I've found someone else reporting the same problem and people are blaming it on a bad SD card. This could be possible as you say you have the digital game, which saves on the SD card. Replacing it would be a save thing to do I think.

I also doubt it has anything to do with ORAS, or else this problem would be all over the internet, like the PKHeX saving bug.
It is highly unlikely its my SD Card. Ive barely had it for 2 years and has yet to have a problem. Only save data that has had this happen so far is my data from Sun.

I finally got an email back from them after I contacted their support a while ago, and they told me I must have been using a 3rd party application. I guess those of us who actually run in to a bug get lumped in with pkhex/powersave users now :/.

Do you often take out your SD card? If it was improperly inserted, or got dirt inside it I guess, then it could cause issues.

Do you often take out your SD card? If it was improperly inserted, or got dirt inside it I guess, then it could cause issues.
Nope, Its to much of a pain to remove the sd card from the N3DS. Last time i removed it was around 8 months ago.

Well, I guess it was just a freak incident then. Unless you dropped your 3DS on a hard surface or something, then I honestly don't know what else could have caused this.

It is highly unlikely its my SD Card. Ive barely had it for 2 years and has yet to have a problem. Only save data that has had this happen so far is my data from Sun.

SD cards do show their age rather quickly, especially if they're in a device that is not stationary. I'm lucky if my 3DS SD card lasts a year. I would recommend replacing it.

SD cards do show their age rather quickly, especially if they're in a device that is not stationary. I'm lucky if my 3DS SD card lasts a year. I would recommend replacing it.
I am pretty sure an SD card that was almost $75 dollars and made to last a while is not going to go out as fast as the cheap ones. My other SD card is 7 years old and has no problems.

I've saved at the battle tree and pokemon center (and turned off the game) and when I booted the games back p they've always been fine so unless its a rare glitch I don't think thats even correct.

I've seen news posts about it on video game sites before, as well as footage of every character model going wonky. People attributed it to saving inside those places, so I just avoided doing that altogether.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom