• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What language (s) do you know or would like to learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Espeon

Mage des Dark Arts
Reaction score
Just answer the question =P.

I speak Spanish as first language, English as second, learning French, taking German next semester, want to learn Japanese, Italian, Portuguese, Chinese, Dutch, Irish/Scottish Gaelic, Catalonian and Romanian :-D. And if I had the chance, Swedish, Latin and Russian too. Or, if I could, every language of the world o_O.

And, it'd be okay to learn Esperanto, but I'm against making it a world language. The world must keep its different languages! English is the most important language of the world, and it is easy enough to learn, so there =D.

I cannot speak "netspeak", "n00bspeak", "street speak" (slang) and any other weird "speaks" =P. A future translator (moi) must speak and type/write properly :-D.

Most of the languages you've mentioned are closely related, so it's not really as large a challenge as it would be to learn 20 languages from 20 language families.

First language:
Indo-European: Germanic: English

Second languages:
Sino-Tibetan: Sinitic: Mandarin
Austronesian: Malayo-Polynesian: Malay
Japonic: Japanese

Poor command:
Sino-Tibetan: Sinitic: Cantonese

I would love to learn a few more families and a few more languages from each. Presently, I'm hoping to learn:
Japonic: Okinawan
Japonic: Old & Classical Japanese (and hopefully Proto-Japonic won't be too different from Old Japanese)
Korean: Old, Middle & Modern Korean
Sino-Tibetan: Sinitic: Old & Middle Chinese
Indo-European: Proto-Indo-European

But as you can imagine, save for Modern Korean, it's a bit hard to find texts about those languages at a normal bookstore... if they even exist at all.

Well, English, obviously, and tiny bits of Japanese and Spanish.

English is my first, I started to learn French but it didn't work out because of timing, I know basic Spanish just from living in Southern California my entire life and I've picked up a small bit of Japanese just from watching too much anime. But as far as the ones I know, it's just English.

I'd like to learn Japanese, French and Italian sometime.

English is my first language, and I am apparently very good at Fench, (though I don't see how myself.)

I'd like to learn Japanese, but I don't see that happening for a while.

English is my first language. Italian is my second. I learned a lot of Italian from my Nonna. (Grandmother). I also know Spanish and bits of Japanese and French. I'd like to learn more Italian. I got the hang of most of it as it's closely related to Spanish and French. As it is a romance language. Gotta love the Romans! They had Latin and brought it to present day Europe and htat's how most European languages were born.

I would also like to learn more Japanese.

Ciao.

LX

Posted by Zhen Lin: Most of the languages you've mentioned are closely related, so it's not really as large a challenge as it would be to learn 20 languages from 20 language families.

First language:
Indo-European: Germanic: English

Second languages:
Sino-Tibetan: Sinitic: Mandarin
Austronesian: Malayo-Polynesian: Malay
Japonic: Japanese

Poor command:
Sino-Tibetan: Sinitic: Cantonese

I would love to learn a few more families and a few more languages from each. Presently, I'm hoping to learn:
Japonic: Okinawan
Japonic: Old & Classical Japanese (and hopefully Proto-Japonic won't be too different from Old Japanese)
Korean: Old, Middle & Modern Korean
Sino-Tibetan: Sinitic: Old & Middle Chinese
Indo-European: Proto-Indo-European

But as you can imagine, save for Modern Korean, it's a bit hard to find texts about those languages at a normal bookstore... if they even exist at all.

Correct :-D. Since I know Spanish, learning/understanding French, Romanian, Italian, Catalonian, or Portuguese is/would be a snap :-D.

I'd like knowing some Asian languages, but as if they were not difficult enough, they also have many dialects or versions of one same language :-(. Filipino is the only one that seems easy, and mainly because it writes words phonetically like Spanish, and the pronunciation doesn't seem all that hard. And it uses Roman alphabet.

*attempts to imagine himself writing using the various Asian languages alphabets* *can't* ;_; Just learning one would be quite challenging...learning some would almost be impossible. Unless I go to live to Singapore or China or Japan for some time :-D. (I'd not like/want to go to live to India or any Middle East countries for obvious reasons =/).

Last edited:
First language is English, studied Spanish in high school and maybe next semester, and wish I could take magical pills that teach me Japanese and Chinese.

I (obviously) know English and it's my first language. I know Spanish enough to use if I had to and can read it fairly well. Currently I don't plan to learn any more Spanish. I should try, but I know all I want to know. In the future I'd like to learn Italian or French, most likely Italian. I'd love to learn Japanese, but I know I couldn't learn it without a teacher.

I speak English normally. I know a little bit of French. I've just happened to learn a few words here and there of Japanese from being on Pokemon boards so long. I can read katakana. That's pretty much it.

I know English. And 1337 and Pig Latin but they don't count. :p

I know a bit of Spanish and ASL (American Sign Language) and a few words of Japanese.

I want to learn more of those three languages as well as others.

Danish is my very first language close followed by English as I was able to speak English just as well as Danish a year after I learned to speak =O
I'm learning German at the moment, and teach myself Japanese whenever I feel like it.
Because I can Danish, then there isn't much challenge in Norwegian and Swedish.

I'm not much interested in learning new languages, but French, Spanish and Chinese sound very interesting.

I know spanish and english. I want to learn french,japanese,russian and italian.=]

I know Japanese (the speech. I'm still learning the writing. >>), and a little bit of French. Oh, and English, of course. ^^

I know English *of course* and I can understand much spoken and written Spanish. I also know loads of Japanese, words, sentences structures and 25 to 50 kanji.
I do know words in Arabic, German, Italy, French, Swedish, Chinese, a little Korean, Amharic and some other weird ones like Hawaiian and some random American Indian words.

My native language is English. I can speak German relatively well, and can vaguely understand a few other Nordic languages because of their similarity to it. I also know a little Spanish, but I've forgotten more than I can still remember.

As for what I'd like to learn...I'm trying to decide on Japanese or Chinese. Both seem like they could potentially be equally valuable.

I can speak three languages: English, Russian, and Mathematics

Hello, there!
Preevyet! Yah nyet amyereekanskee!

y = (sinx - cosx) / (cos^2x)
dx/dv = ([cosx + sinx][cos^2x] + 2[cosx][sinx][sinx - cosx]) / (cos^4x)
=([cosx + sinx][cosx] + 2[sinx][sinx - cosx]) / (cos^3x)
=(cos^2x + [cosx][sinx] + 2sin^2x - 2[cosx][sinx]) / (cos^3x)
=(cos^2x + 2sin^2x - [cosx][sinx]) / (cos^3x)
=(sin^2x - [cosx][sinx] + 1) / (cos^3x)

Love that math!

I love languages! :D Except math-- I hate math! *dies at the sight of Alakazam's post*. :lol: Anyway, I speak English (obviously), and I'm currently studying Japanese (I love it!) I took Spanish and French in high school, and would love to continue with both (especially French) someday. I also want to learn Chinese, Italian, Swedish... Actually, I want to learn every spoken language!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom