• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What will the second season have in store for Iris?

Iris's worry, poor Dragon girl. Something tells me Drayden & Elder might not be too happy with her progress so far. If anything this might be the chance for Excadrill to get his rematch against Drayden's Haxorus. But, that worried expression could be because she feels Ash doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell against Drayden.

I still wonder who's Hydreigon that is though......

Last edited:
Iris's worry, poor Dragon girl. Something tells me Drayden & Elder might not be too happy with her progress so far. If anything this might be the chance for Excadrill to get his rematch against Drayden's Haxorus. But, that worried expression could be because she feels Ash doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell against Drayden.

I still wonder who's Hydreigon that is though......

I certainly wouldn't blame Drayden or the Elder for not being happy about Iris' progress. Despite being on this journey for who knows how long, she's no closer to becoming a Dragon Master, or evolving Axew for that matter, than she was when she left the Village of Dragons. I can understand Axew not evolving for marketing purposes, even though it is kind of annoying given both Iris and Axew want it to evolve into a Haxorus, but the fact that Axew is still relatively weak in battle shows that she's made absolutely no progress. They honestly should be upset and/or disappointed with how Iris hasn't worked at reaching her goal. I'd still love it if they did call her out on all of her flaws, or at least not training her Axew properly, especially if that did lead Iris to actually do something. She shouldn't really need something like that pushing her to train Axew, especially at this point, but I'd be happy just to see someone calling her out on her lack of training with Axew.

I don't know if Iris would want to have a rematch with Drayden's Haxorus and her Excadrill. Losing to his Haxorus never really seemed to bother her and Excadrill's issue was resolved with a simple apology. Not to mention that would continue to take away time that Iris could be using to train Axew, which it really needs, and she depends on Excadrill too much as it is. The expression on Iris's face could be about how Ash doesn't stand a chance against Drayden and I do think that his Unova Pokemon will need some serious training before they can take down a Haxorus in a believable way, but I think that it's more likely that she just wanted to avoid seeing him or the Elder again due to not evolving Axew and still being relatively useless in battle.

Oh gee, she definitely won't master reading the hearts of Dragon-types out of nowhere.

So...her Axew she's been vowing to raise...yeah. =/

Don't get me wrong the stuff with Dragonite and being proactive is great, but Axew is sort of Piplup lite right now without any of the training or battles to back it up. Lame.

It sounds like Satoshi is battling Homika for his 8th badge.

So I bet they're saving Drayden for the end of season 2 so Iris can have that episode to herself to wrap up her storyline. It would make more sense to see Iris train more and evolve Kibago rather than have her meet him anytime soon.

I hope that can also include a visit to Dragonspiral Tower - that's something I'm disappointed that they missed in moving past Icirrus City so quickly. Perhaps Iris could meet Drayden and then travel back to face a challenge/test in that area. I'm thinking this will also mean that the village of dragons is in the North East of Unova, so that her journey will wrap around the top back before getting to Opelucid City.

About the Iris/Axew scene at the end of the last episode - how do the timeline of events work there - I'd assumed that Iris got Axew from the village elder after showing her strength in the tournament using Excadrill, so why would Axew know the symbolism of Drayden and moreso she didn't fight him in a dragon master context, she fought a regular battle using a non-dragon, so while she has something to prove the Drayden I don't see how it directly relates to her goal with training Axew - because that goes back to the village elders rather than Drayden.

Yes, Drayden is a goal for dragon trainers, but Iris wasn't defeated trying to prove her strength in that way. Georgia would have equal or even more of a reason to defeat Drayden than Axew does, and defeating him with Excadrill would redress the loss to Drayden, but not help her dragon goal.

Obviously, having Ash beat Drayden while Iris can't would be a big blow to Iris - but it's fairly irrelevant to her dragon master goal because it's about Excadrill and her general training ability. I still don't quite get how they will handle Iris' storyline here - because they stuffed it up initially in order to give her a powerful Excadrill and early victories.

I suppose what I'm asking is why is it about Drayden for Iris and not more about the village elders?

if she gets Dragonite i'm calling BS to the max, if it was Flygon or Altaria, heck even Kingdra maybe i'd be less inclined to be against the decission, but this is a freaking fully evolved pseudo legendary pokemon, I just don't think it would be right to hand such a powerful pokemon to her on a silver platter like they did with Dawn and Togekiss.

training a dratini/dragonair i would have no problem with...but dragonite, just no.

if she gets Dragonite i'm calling BS to the max, if it was Flygon or Altaria, heck even Kingdra maybe i'd be less inclined to be against the decission, but this is a freaking fully evolved pseudo legendary pokemon, I just don't think it would be right to hand such a powerful pokemon to her on a silver platter like they did with Dawn and Togekiss.

It wasn't that bad with Dawn... it was for the sake of Togekiss and Dawn was just the perfect person Salvia could give it too, and at the time Dawn already had some very experienced Pokémon, including the fully evolved Mamoswine
While Iris, doesn't really have any really good Poké currently except MAYBE Excadrill... also, the whole point of her story was the raise Axew and they implied that also involves making it fully evolve - so to randomly give her another fully evolved dragon seems to contrast with the idea of her having to work hard to make her Axew turn into one
Also, Togepi evolves by friendship (and Dawn like all main character had big friendship with her Pokémon) and Togetic evolves by simply using a Shiny Stone on it
So I wouldn't count Togekiss as "cheap" as it is to get a Dragonite, which takes more time and effort to raise from a Dratini (and yes, I know the whole "friendship" thing wasn't ever explained in the anime, but still... at least the stone thing should count)

training a dratini/dragonair i would have no problem with...but dragonite, just no.

Yeah, I wouldn't have a problem with Dratini, though currently it'd be the best if she'd just focus on her poor Axew - let the thing battle, it won't randomly improve (well... it did kind of randomly improve in the first Don George tournament... but I wouldn't like to keep seeing it randomly improve when they feel like it rather than actually see it get some training and earn it)

Iris will not be getting Dragonite. Its blatantly obvious she'll heal it or whatever and it'll go back to the wild. Especially if Iris does capture that ice cream cone 5 eps before, I don't see her getting another capture right after.

I know it's not likely, but maybe Ash could give Iris his Gible or have a trade in some turn of events. That would also help raise Iris's "Dragon Master" status.

Iris will not be getting Dragonite. Its blatantly obvious she'll heal it or whatever and it'll go back to the wild. Especially if Iris does capture that ice cream cone 5 eps before, I don't see her getting another capture right after.

This is Best Wishes.. you know damn well that anything can happen at this point if the writers want to give her Dragonite they will.

I don't know about her healing it, that'd be too much even for Pokemon. I could just see her connecting to it, like how Ash connects to Riolu. It'd make sense since she wants to be a Dragon Master. I don't know about her having a big part in this season what with every thing going on, just maybe a couple of episodes for her, like of course the Dragon/Iris connecting or the gym battle other than that. At least shes having some episodes, don't see Dento doing much this half of the series but he had a pretty good part in the first half.

edit;

I don't know if I want Iris to catch it, if Ash can't catch that type of Pokemon than neither should other characters. I know she wants to be a Dragon Master, lets start off small than have them evolve shall we? That way it makes it look realistic and I wouldn't complain about that. As it is, Iris has other Dragon Pokemon that she needs to work with.

That Dragonite looks way too special for it to just be a one-episodic Pokemon and its being promoted on a poster and this trailer.

I still doubt that she'll catch the Dragonite, although I definitely see her having a huge role in this episode(s) starring the battle between Dragonite and Hydreigon. She'll surely have somewhat of an impact in the whole thing, which might help her learning more of dragons and how to connect to them... or something... I dunno, I'm never right when it comes to making theories about future events, so why bother.

But I don't want Iris to catch that Dragonite. No way, nah-ah, uh-huh, no. It'd be the exact same repeated sh*t that happened with Dawn, and I also think it's ridiculous to say that Dawn actually deserved Togekiss more because she had already proven to be a formidable trainer, because that's all just bull. If that's the case they really should've proven it by giving her a Togepi in first case, and then we'd see what would've happened.

Please, don't give Iris Dragonite.... Oh, wait... on the contrary, I actually do want Iris to get Dragonite. I mean, we're talking loads of shitstorms from the fanbase here, and that'd be absolutely hilarious.

Last edited:

Nah, I'm starting to think she won't get Vanilluxe, even though I was kind of hoping she did to be honest.

We've seen a few group shots of Best Wishes 2 scenes, and it's nowhere to be seen. :(

It wasn't that bad with Dawn... it was for the sake of Togekiss and Dawn was just the perfect person Salvia could give it too, and at the time Dawn already had some very experienced Pokémon, including the fully evolved Mamoswine

I respectively disagree. Dawn getting Togekiss was terrible and easily one of the worst choices the writers made in DP, along with getting rid of Ambipom. Just because Dawn had experienced Pokemon doesn't justify getting Togekiss. If there was some bonding between the two during its debut, then it maybe it wouldn't have been too bad, but as it is, it was a completely undeserved capture.

Piplup said:
While Iris, doesn't really have any really good Poké currently except MAYBE Excadrill... also, the whole point of her story was the raise Axew and they implied that also involves making it fully evolve - so to randomly give her another fully evolved dragon seems to contrast with the idea of her having to work hard to make her Axew turn into one
Also, Togepi evolves by friendship (and Dawn like all main character had big friendship with her Pokémon) and Togetic evolves by simply using a Shiny Stone on it
So I wouldn't count Togekiss as "cheap" as it is to get a Dragonite, which takes more time and effort to raise from a Dratini (and yes, I know the whole "friendship" thing wasn't ever explained in the anime, but still... at least the stone thing should count)

I'm pretty sure that they didn't imply that Axew evolving into an Haxorus is important. They pretty much said that was Iris' goal before throwing in this Dragon Master bit over thirty episodes into the series. While it's probably harder to get a Dratini to fully evolve compared to a Togepi evolving into a Togekiss, I still don't think that changes that Dawn getting a Togekiss a couple of episodes before the Grand Festival was so cheap.

I still can't see Iris catching this Dragonite. There's definitely some important connection between them, but considering Axew, the Dragon Pokemon she's supposed to be training, is still treated like an infant and still can't battle that well, giving her a Dragonite would be horrible.

Well, if Ash will have Meloetta following him around, and possibly catching it...(maybe? It'd be neat after seeing him fight Tobias in the Sinnoh League for him to get his own Legendary, especially as I imagine Meloetta won't be shown as an especially powerful Pokemon), and Cilan already has the Legendary Crustle, Iris getting Dragonite won't seem too out of place.

I hope she doesn't, though, not because I'm fussy over her bypassing realistic development in Best Wishes (a problem with most characters in the series to be honest), but because the Dragonite is boring, and there is plenty of other Dragon Pokemon I'd rather see.

If that's the case they really should've proven it by giving her a Togepi in first case, and then we'd see what would've happened.

Here's what would happen: it would evolve twice extremely fast, barely seen at all as a Togepi or a Togetic, and as result would also make Togekiss have even less screen time than the little it got
If BW would be released later than they were, I have no doubts at all that DP would include a Johto saga - in that case, it's veeeeery obvious that Dawn would get a Togepi and fully evolve it... but since that wasn't the case - they simply didn't have enough time for this... it could be awesome if she'd get that evil Togepi, cause it to change for the better and evolve, then let it stay as a Togetic for a while before finding the stone and evolving it (cause Togetic seriously needs more screen time)
But there was no time for that... also, she already proved she could take a Swinub, fully evolve it, overcome its problems and earn its trust... why would she not be able to do the same with Togepi which would be much easier in any possible way?
That Togekiss needed someone to take it out to be free and to let it participate in Contests... Dawn, the girl who's like the clone of its original trainer, who gave it and its original trainer the chance to finally participate in Contests, who was just about to participate in the Grand Festival and then continue on with more Contests - was the best person Salvia could give it to
And that wasn't nearly as "cheap" as Iris getting Dragonite would be... not to mention it didn't contradict anything established with one of Dawn's already existing Pokémon at the time, unlike Dragonite which totally destroys the whole "raise Axew and fully evolve it" thing

I respectively disagree. Dawn getting Togekiss was terrible and easily one of the worst choices the writers made in DP

Like most people, I'd prefer Dawn to get it as a Togepi - but I also realise there was no time for that
I totally loved Togekiss' first ep and Togekiss itself... and while it didn't get tons of screen time, I really enjoyed what we did get to see

along with getting rid of Ambipom.

At first I was angry at that too, but the ping pong ep was really good in my opinion
I also loved the Ambipom focus that probably would never happen if it wasn't going to leave
Also, I think it emphasized even more the whole "do what's best for your Pokémon" thing that Ambipom and Buizel are supposed to represent
The fact one of them kept the traded Poké and one didn't, emphasizes just how much this wasn't really a "trade" in the way of trading Pokémon as if they're items, but this was more of "giving" them to each other since that was the right thing to do... and with Ambipom's case it was the right thing to do to let it go for ping pong once it decided that's what it likes the most

Just because Dawn had experienced Pokemon doesn't justify getting Togekiss.

When I look at this:
A girl with 5 ribbons and a team of strong and experienced Piplup, Buneary, Pachirisu, Mamoswine and Cyndaquil - getting a Togekiss
And then at this:
A girl with... what, one random Don George tournament victory that barely even seemed to make sense? and a pretty lame team of a baby Axew that still barely can battle, an Emolga and Excadrill who's the only one that can be counted as somewhat strong/experienced?.... - getting a Dragonite
Seriously... if Iris would get this Dragonite, it'd look way worse than Dawn getting Togekiss ever was
Well, at least it in my opinion, I guess...
Iris really should just start to focus on Axew's training seriously (and no, once in a Jirachi having a short practice battle against Scraggy isn't what's going to make the baby strong)

If there was some bonding between the two during its debut, then it maybe it wouldn't have been too bad, but as it is, it was a completely undeserved capture.

At least the following ep had Togekiss cause some problems to Dawn and showed us how Dawn managed to eventually understand her new Pokémon better and kind of "earn it"...

I'm pretty sure that they didn't imply that Axew evolving into an Haxorus is important.

I got the impression that it's a big part of her goal

I still don't think that changes that Dawn getting a Togekiss a couple of episodes before the Grand Festival was so cheap.

Seriously, it didn't even help her THAT much in the GF...
She used it only once, in the final battle, which she lost...
People are totally exaggerating the Togekiss case

Like most people, I'd prefer Dawn to get it as a Togepi - but I also realise there was no time for that
I totally loved Togekiss' first ep and Togekiss itself... and while it didn't get tons of screen time, I really enjoyed what we did get to see

I don't think that the lack of time for Dawn to raise a Togepi excuses the decision to just hand her a Togekiss. I would have preferred her to either keep Ambipom or just have the five Pokemon that did help her earn her way to the Grand Festival. I would have preferred someone else in the Grand Festival using a Togekiss instead of Dawn getting one.

Piplup said:
At first I was angry at that too, but the ping pong ep was really good in my opinion
I also loved the Ambipom focus that probably would never happen if it wasn't going to leave
Also, I think it emphasized even more the whole "do what's best for your Pokémon" thing that Ambipom and Buizel are supposed to represent
The fact one of them kept the traded Poké and one didn't, emphasizes just how much this wasn't really a "trade" in the way of trading Pokémon as if they're items, but this was more of "giving" them to each other since that was the right thing to do... and with Ambipom's case it was the right thing to do to let it go for ping pong once it decided that's what it likes the most

I think that could have worked if there was some foreshadowing that Ambipom was losing interest in Contests, just like there was all that build up to Aipom liking Contests more than regular battles. It just felt too sudden for Ambipom to leave the two trainers she had known and how much she wanted to be in Contests in the first place.

Piplup said:
When I look at this:
A girl with 5 ribbons and a team of strong and experienced Piplup, Buneary, Pachirisu, Mamoswine and Cyndaquil - getting a Togekiss
And then at this:
A girl with... what, one random Don George tournament victory that barely even seemed to make sense? and a pretty lame team of a baby Axew that still barely can battle, an Emolga and Excadrill who's the only one that can be counted as somewhat strong/experienced?.... - getting a Dragonite
Seriously... if Iris would get this Dragonite, it'd look way worse than Dawn getting Togekiss ever was
Well, at least it in my opinion, I guess...
Iris really should just start to focus on Axew's training seriously (and no, once in a Jirachi having a short practice battle against Scraggy isn't what's going to make the baby strong)

While Dawn did have a better team than Iris currently does and was an experienced trainer, I still don't think that makes giving her a Togekiss on a silver platter any better. Iris getting Dragonite would be horrible too. I'm not sure if it would be worse. It might be more on an equal level of horribleness for me. Though, I agree that Iris should just focus on giving Axew some serious training.

Piplup said:
At least the following ep had Togekiss cause some problems to Dawn and showed us how Dawn managed to eventually understand her new Pokémon better and kind of "earn it"...

Even after that episode, I didn't think that there was much bonding and I definitely don't think that she kind of earned it. A trainer bonding with a Pokemon they're going to capture should happen before they actually capture it, instead of after it.

Piplup said:
I got the impression that it's a big part of her goal

It is. I was just saying they didn't imply that it was. They flat out said that Axew evolving into Haxorus is an important part of her goal considering the whole reason Iris went on this journey was to raise Axew and have it evolve into Haxorus in the first place.

Piplup said:
Seriously, it didn't even help her THAT much in the GF...
She used it only once, in the final battle, which she lost...
People are totally exaggerating the Togekiss case

That's true, but it still doesn't change how ridiculously cheap it was to give Dawn a fully evolved Pokemon just a couple of episodes before the Grand Festival. It didn't deserve to be in the final battle of the Grand Festival since unlike all of her other Pokemon, Togekiss didn't help in Dawn's Contest arc at all. Just about any other Pokemon in her team would have been more appropriate for her to use during the final battle. I don't think that people are exaggerating the Togekiss case when it was cheap and totally undeserved, which would be pretty much the same reaction people would have if Iris gets a Dragonite.

It didn't deserve to be in the final battle of the Grand Festival

They said something about how both Dawn and Zoey used in this battle a Pokémon that they recently got and wasn't known to the other (Gallade for Zoey and Togekiss for Dawn)
I think maybe that was part of what the writers were going for in that battle, to let each of them use her main Poké + a "secret weapon" that would be a newly recieved Poké that would seem fresh for both the characters and the viewers
I still can't agree with all the complainings about Togekiss, but I think I already explained myself so I better not repeat myself again and again

Anyway...... let's go back to Iris which this thread is about? XD I still think there's no reason to believe she'll actually get this Dragonite, just play some role in its story, similarly to how she was focused on in the Deino ep and had nice interactions with it, but didn't really get it

Hopefully her reaction to hearing "Opelucid City" last ep will lead hear to "wake up" and start her training seriously so she would be able to face Drayden without being ashamed of her progress (or lack of, if to be accurate)

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom