• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would you be on board with fusion pokemon?

I would totally be on board with this idea if they also introduce fusions of three Pokemon as well.

i can't really get behind it, personally... in concept it's rather cool, but a silly yet very loud part of my brain always thinks about the ethics of fusing pokémon and imagines how painful it would probably be, even though it's just a video game, so i can simply never get into it.

i can't really get behind it, personally... in concept it's rather cool, but a silly yet very loud part of my brain always thinks about the ethics of fusing pokémon and imagines how painful it would probably be, even though it's just a video game, so i can simply never get into it.
What if the fusion happens as a result of those pokemon breeding together rather than by artificial machinery?

Pokemon fusion is already a thing, as Kyurem, Necrozma, and Calyrex already do with their respective trios/groups. But unfortunately, none of those currently do a triple fusion, which is something I always wanted in Pokemon ever since the Kyurem fusions were introduced.

This is what I thought breeding pokemon would be like before Silver and Gold were released. I remember my older cousin, my brother, and I would talk about what we thought breeding two pokemon together would produce. Though I feel like just smashing two pokemon together works best in a fan game. Well, besides the two official fusions we actually have. (I don't really consider Calyrex's other forms fusions. The other two literally combine two pokemon. Calyrex just be ridin' a horse.)

Pokemon fusion is already a thing, as Kyurem, Necrozma, and Calyrex already do with their respective trios/groups. But unfortunately, none of those currently do a triple fusion, which is something I always wanted in Pokemon ever since the Kyurem fusions were introduced.
That was my first thought as well. So far all the canon fusion has been a central part of that Pokémon's story. I suppose it could be done in a way that doesn't trivialize the plots of previous games, but it would be very difficult to pull off well.

Honestly I thought I would be okay with it, but the more I think about it the more eh I am. I know there are fusions already but I'm not sure I like the thought of it as a major gimmick akin to Mega Evolution, Z-Moves, etc that would be available to a large variety of Pokémon. Maybe in the form of breeding and not exactly called fusion? So breeding two species of Pokémon could result in something that has characteristics of both.. honestly how it should've been but I understand that could get too complex.

As an idea, it sounds really cool but the devil will always be in the execution and it seems difficult to implement in Pokémon's type of gameplay.

The most obvious method of implementation I could see would be some kind of parasitic Pokémon that attaches to others and changes their form and Type slightly, think Necrozma's Dawn Wings and Dusk Mane form by combining with Solgaleo and Lunala. That way GF wouldn't have to design brand new fusions for over 1000+ potential combinations. :unsure:

I'd be down for it...in moderation. I've seen the idea floated around of a sort of Karrablast/Shelmet situation, but for breeding, where if you breed two specific Pokémon the result is a species that combines traits of both and that you couldn't get otherwise. That would be cool. It would also be cool if there were more groups of Pokémon who just had the power to fuse with each other, like the Tao trio. Turning players loose to be genetic-engineer mad scientists with every available Pokémon could also be cool, and I enjoy what I've seen of it in fan content. But it would also be a game-balancing nightmare and very ethically dubious if it happened "for real" in-universe. I'd rather that sort of thing stay in the realm of fan content.

while i do think conceptually this would be cool as hell, i don't have high optimism for the execution. what would be the criteria for example? of course, you can't just... fuse any pokemon, they'd have to have some similar characteristics, but how similar? could you fuse a pikachu and like, any pika-clone from any region, for example, and get an entirely new pokemon as a result? or do they have to be in the same general egg group for fusion to be viable?

we've already experimented with pokemon fusion to some degree in sm/usum and bw/b2w2, but the condition for "fusion" in those circumstances were wildly different and i don't think can be replicated in your standard non-legendary pokemon.

tl;dr i'd really like to see it, but i'm very wary of how Game Freak is going to implement it beyond important legendaries as has been done in the past.

I wonder whether fusion would be better or worse for creating a diversity of competitively-viable Pokémon. I also wonder how this could be implemented in a way which doesn't break the game: say, by giving something with great stats, moves, and ability a favorable type it starts with, instead of something it can change into once per battle, like Terastalization.

Idk I don’t think it would really be my thing. I feel like that type of stuff should stay in fan projects, and (unpopular opinion) I’d rather not have game freak implement any sort of “fan made” stuff like putting peoples fake on into games or this whole fusion concept.

that being said, depending on how its executed, it might be a cool gimmick.

Back
Top Bottom