• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writing block before the story even starts?

moosie

tired as sin
Reaction score
So, for the last couple of ideas I have stuck in my head that I kind of want to get out in some way, I've been unable to do so, because right as I try starting, I can't find a good way to do that. I've tried several times but I can't seem to figure out how I want the story to start. Every time I've tried I went "meh" halfway through and scrapped it. It's bugging the heck out of me and I actually want to be productive, but this writing block slapped a wall in front of my creativity. Any tips on how to start a story well? Thanks in advance for the help.

Everyone writes differently but I find that this happens to me a lot. Like, I'll have an idea but all I can think about are these plot points or scenes that come up later and I actually have no idea what starts the whole thing. It happens when I write essays for school too.

For essays, I always write the intro last because I get ideas for intros as I write, so I applied this to stories too. So what I do is just open a document, title it "idea dump" and just write whatever scenes I come up with, in any order, in no order, sometimes scenes that don't even have a beginning or ending. Sometimes this helps clear my head and I just end up getting bored with the idea or I get inspiration for something that should happen earlier and it eventually works its way back to the intro. After doing this, I usually have a better idea of the direction I want the story to go in and how I want it to start.

Happens to me a lot, usually after leaving a good idea unwritten. I always write my good ideas down to prevent prewriter's block.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom