• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

X&Y: The Little Things

Reaction score
Now that most of us have seen X and Y and have discussed all the big changes, I feel that we can now discuss the little things, such as sitting on benches, crouching to talk to children, petting your Pokémon after a battle, different Pokémon in tall grass and flower patches, and hotels.

The question I pose is, did these tiny and seemingly insignificant features help to make the X&Y experience better as a whole?

Yes, I actually liked how the details became more fleshed out in this game. More instances of French/European architecture, and very few if any, instances of generic-looking building like pre-BW. Sometimes, I wander around Lumiose City and other places just to enjoy the scenery. I also loved the cafes - especially those which have people's dialogue change as you become more stylish. And then there's sitting down on benches which triggers a different camera view, also quite interesting. Though having to meet Mr. Bonding was...interesting at best, and squicky at worst... :p

One thing that I missed from Black and White was the Unity Tower which brings in people you interacted with. That was a really nice addition, and I wish there will be a similar one in upcoming Z/XY2.

Last edited:
I think the little things really added up - I noticed them more when I went back to my older games for transporter, and they were missing.

I do wish that we'd seen more storyline and post-game things to do, though.

I love how the Pokemon come out of their balls, instead of just slightly falling like in past games they have animations when they faint too. I adore Lucario, Rayquaza and Salamence's animation when they come out. Salamence's wings unfurl and Rayquaza looks like it just came out of the ball like a flying snake and how Lucario drops out, lands and gets up. These little details are just brilliant.
Plus when riding your bike it is really realistic, when you grind to a halt the bike jolts forwards and he character brings it back and how when you ride it, it has a little rocking animation.

I personally believe the little things are what give more life to games, things like crouching to speak to little kids and petting your Pokémon after a battle really do help with your immersion into the game, I certainly loved the thought they put into those small things.

I believe so. Might not be significant things, something that would make or break the game, but exploring to find those little additions is part of the fun.

We get to pet our pokémon after battles? How the heck do we do that and how did I miss that?

I really love those little details too, they make the world feel more fleshed out to me. I especially love crouching to talk to small kids and pokémon, being able to sit in places, and I also really liked the photo spots. I like buildings more, the animations of pokémon fainting or coming out of their pokeballs during battle and also the way your bike moves when you brake (which @PinkiePieFox also said). The only thing I feel torn about are the camera angles. I love most of them but sometimes they're really clunky when they automatically focus on your character while you're looking for a building or something. >.>

I love how the Pokemon come out of their balls, instead of just slightly falling like in past games they have animations when they faint too. I adore Lucario, Rayquaza and Salamence's animation when they come out. Salamence's wings unfurl and Rayquaza looks like it just came out of the ball like a flying snake and how Lucario drops out, lands and gets up. These little details are just brilliant.
Plus when riding your bike it is really realistic, when you grind to a halt the bike jolts forwards and he character brings it back and how when you ride it, it has a little rocking animation.

I can't simply beat a Solosis. These sad eyes when fainting...

And Meganium after popping out the Pokéball. Someone described it as "Floating ike a happy hippie dinosaur". :lol:

I like how the player has "I'm bored" animations when you don't make a move for a while.

We get to pet our pokémon after battles? How the heck do we do that and how did I miss that?
If you have a Pokémon with max Affection from Pokémon-amie out in battle, after defeating a Pokémon in battle, move the stylus in the Touch screen, and you'll pet them.

I hated the fact you couldn't lie on the bed anymore. You used to be able to walk into the bed and so it looked like you were laying in bed, and I used to save my game like that, so the next day it was like I was waking up etc. Now I just have to pretend I've just woken up and sat up on the bed.

I do like being able to pet your Pokemon, think you should be able to do it anyway without reaching a level in Pokemon Amie, in fact it should contribute to leveling up in Pokemon Amie affection ratings.

It's good your not just chucking them out to fight but congratulating them and patting/stroking them etc for a good job well done

I liked how a character would usually do a little gesture when you talked to them, like move their arm a little. Crouching down to talk to little kids and slightly looking up to talk to older people was a nice little thing. Also, the PC's hat doesn't look like it's going through whoever they're talking to's head, like it did in B/W. That always kinda got to me. And finally, all the different little animations. Whether it's the "idling in battle" movements, fainting, or just the variants of different moves, I liked how attacking was more than just the animation of the move, and zooming in on it.

Features like these would never be blatantly displayed as a new game's "features and innovations", but let's face it: some of these are much more significant than something well-advertised, like the lame-off Sky Battle.

One of the things I loved about X and Y right off the bat was the way the battle backgrounds match the area you're in. When I had my first battle with Shauna, I was loved that the battle background looked like Aquacorde Town instead of some generic background.

I'm not sure how much this counts as a "little thing" or not, but...

The fact that Game Freak went and made complete 3D models and multiple animations for LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE POKEMON IN EXISTENCE is worthy of my utmost respect.

I like how there's musical notes appearing when changing into a set of clothing bought from Luminose :) makes my character feel more classy

I loved how they seemed to make completely random, unimportant NPCs so much more interesting in these games. They all seem to have personality, and don't have bland, generic personalities. I also liked the references to other regions, and as it makes the Pokemon world seem much more bigger, and makes Kalos's role as a popular tourist destination much more convincing.

Also, all the detail put into everything. Like, at the art gallery in Lumiose, I actually took the time to look at the artwork. It wasn't just random splotches of color on the wall, or generic Generation 1 gym statues everywhere. Same goes for water fountains in the game, or statues. That one Golurk statue actually looks like one.

And I enjoyed how you can interact with objects you probably wouldn't think of checking. The mushroom on the side of the fairy-type gym. You can sit on it. Or how, in that same gym, you can interact with most of the furniture.

I don't care for most of the additions. I know I'm in the minority, but I really only enjoy the important gameplay, and I don't think sitting is necessarily important. Except for the idle animations. Those are fun.

The little things in X and Y are truly what make the game feel more realistic. I was also a fan of the crouching when talking to little kids and Pokemon, idle animations, sitting on benches (and I recently discovered, rocks in Geosenge) characters turning to look at you/you to look at them, signs, etc. The Painters who paint so enthusiastically and the camera angles both in battle and not. It just makes the game a nicer experience.

Hell, they even did an awesome job with the Pokemon and paying really close attention to their dex entries in their details. I've especially noticed when feeding the Fletchling line, they eat like actual birds. I love how Lopunny tosses its ears when it attacks. How Goodra is actually gooey. How Misdreavus is screaming in Pokemon-Amie. Greninja's reaction when he's angry. The little Marill, Furfrou, Fletchling, and Litleo in the field and how Litleo sits when you interrupt her while she's running. It adds so much more personality to the Pokemon, and I love it~

It's things like these that make my only complaint, or rather, source of confusion...Blastoise not using its cannons for water attacks...

This generation is truly remarkable in any kind of way. I agree with a lot of the things mentioned before like the pokemon animations, character customization and all the other cool little things they introduced these games. But the best little thing they did this time is sitting on benches and chairs. Such a small detail but I think people have wanted this for years. I also like the wind that blows on the power plant route. Not only slowing down when you're on it, but also the visual aspect they put into it is great.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom