• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Final Opinions of The Suzuran Conference

Aestivate said:
I actually don't think Jun is capable of defeating Kouhei, actually.

Come on, now. Jun obviously has the qualifications to get to the League since he earned eight badges (well, OK, he took the Beacon Badge, but still) needed to enter. He didn't just get there on luck.

Quite frankly, Satoshi could have proven his abilities as a technician or a tactician against anybody. It didn't have to be Kouhei. The "rivalry" the two had were non-existent, and they really didn't have any interesting interactions during the battle whatsoever.

And besides, Jun needed to have an on-screen victory.

I agree about Jun needing a win, but I think it might have been better to have Jun vs Naoshi, instead of Jun vs Kouhei. Dogasu's right that there's really not much between Ash and Kouhei, but there really wasn;t much between Ash and Naoshi *either*, and Kouhei's just an overall more interesting character than Naoshi. So I'm glad overall that Kouhei got to battle Ash.

For the hype this league got, and the 4 years of waiting for it, no, it didn't really deliver.

The writers clearly only cared about the Ash Vs. Paul battle, not much else. That was great, but one great match doesn't mean the rest of the league should be mediocre.

The lack of battles was just appalling. Ash only battles 4 people on-screen? Do you know how many battles we got in the Hoenn league?

Lastly, why did the writers have Ash bring back Pokemon for them not to battle? We haven't seen Bayleef, Totodile, Muk or Glalie battle in YEARS. Instead of having them do anything, they came back for...no reason?

That was my biggest problem. Ash's oldest pokemon didn't do anything, the ones that actually needed another battle.

Lastly, why did the writers have Ash bring back Pokemon for them not to battle? We haven't seen Bayleef, Totodile, Muk or Glalie battle in YEARS. Instead of having them do anything, they came back for...no reason?

What about HG/SS advertising?

I'm pretty sure Ash was intending to use Glalie against Paul before Gliscor came back.

I'm pretty sure Ash was intending to use Glalie against Paul before Gliscor came back.

He specifically said he was waiting for Glion when it returned. I'm pretty sure he always intended to recall it for the league.

So can someone explain to me why both the opening and DP182 made it seem like Glalie, Muk, Bayleef and Totodile would be used...and they didn't do anything?

It was such a fucking tease. If they didn't show them at all, like how the Kanto starters and Kingler weren't shown, I wouldn't have cared.

It now honestly seems like the Johto starters will never battle again, Kingler/Muk will never battle again. Its been 8 years since they were last used and ignored again.

And people want to see Primeape/Pidgeot? WTF...Ash doesn't even use the Pokemon he STILL OWNS.

honestly...I didn't think much of this league. I watched it and felt pretty much apathetic about it. I was expecting the BIG finish that all the other leagues were able to end with. The only good battle was Ash vs. Paul and I think the last battle with Ash was....I kind of felt the guy was overpowered but that's just me. Seeing a Darkrai and Latios made my day though, so I have mixed feelings about it

The Paul en Darkrai battles were amazing, but overall I felt that for what's supposed to be the climax of the season, it all felt really rushed.

At no point did you really feel like "this was it, this is what he's been working up to the last four years". It really felt more like just another match, slightly more official en spectacular than normal.

It was the same with Dawn's Grand Festival, which felt like just another contest. It never really felt as 'Grand' and important as it should. Not compared to May, IMO. With May, you also got the whole aftermath, which Dawn pretty much got right away after her first contest. With Dawn, her first contest felt more important than every other contest combined, including the Grand Festival.

So can someone explain to me why both the opening and DP182 made it seem like Glalie, Muk, Bayleef and Totodile would be used...and they didn't do anything?

It was such a fucking tease. If they didn't show them at all, like how the Kanto starters and Kingler weren't shown, I wouldn't have cared.

It now honestly seems like the Johto starters will never battle again, Kingler/Muk will never battle again. Its been 8 years since they were last used and ignored again.

And people want to see Primeape/Pidgeot? WTF...Ash doesn't even use the Pokemon he STILL OWNS.

Chill out, buddy.

OPs are notoriously inaccurate to begin with at any rate. Just like Spurt, where people thought seeing certain Pokemon meant something, it doesn't really mean anything.

Besides, you should feel happy. He did call back Gliscor to battle - that's gotta be a huge plus.

Chill out, buddy.

OPs are notoriously inaccurate to begin with at any rate. Just like Spurt, where people thought seeing certain Pokemon meant something, it doesn't really mean anything.

Besides, you should feel happy. He did call back Gliscor to battle - that's gotta be a huge plus.

And...cut it. Spurt was a showcase of all of Ash's older Pokemon, even the released ones.

This opening purposely showed those Pokemon in a league setting staring at Ash's rivals. How the hell did anyone not think they would battle?

The writers really do hate Ash's Johto starters. They wouldn't even give Bayleef and Totodile a battle after 8 years of rotting at Oak's lab!

Quit your damn whining. Didn't I tell you all those months back that the opening wouldn't be an indication of who would be participating in the League?

And on top of that, what is this horrible notion that all Pokemon must be shown in a battle? You talk about being cheated and how it was wrong to show them when you don't have a fucking clue about anything in the first place. You aren't in charge, so kindly shut your trap.

I mean god.... Even after all the cool things that happened in the League, you still have this weird sense of entitlement, that we're supposed to be owed something. Man, nobody owes us anything, least of all you. Go do something more constructive than getting teary-eyed over a damn cartoon.

I concur with Scott on the Pokemon choices. He said it pretty well. It was strange seeing such a deliberate selection of Pokemon in the OP only for them to change things up considerably.

They might as well have showed every one of Ash's active roster in the opening to have saved us all the energy. :p

I really did like all the battles, though, especially from an animation standpoint. It's just a shame that the ending of the series caught up to the writers.

This League was truly amazing. I enjoyed every battle, and there was something positive to come out of each. Also, Ash's loss this League was not only learning, but very well done. I actually have come to love Ash more than ever, and I really like Takuto.

I feel like Torkoal, Swellow, and Gible were placed in the battle against him to make Ash show faith in Pokemon, no matter what their past battle record was. However, this Leage makes me wonder, this battle anyway, if Ash had used Charizard, Snorlax, Bulbasaur, and Squirtle, in place of Heracross, Gible, Torkoal, and Swellow, how different the battle would be.

I actually think Ash deserved 2nd place, since he did better than the runner up anyway, I consider him runner up, he just was placed in Top 4. But Ash truly was the 2nd strongest trainer there.

This Leage was excellent, I actually saw no flaws and it has got me so hype for BW!!!

This has been an amazing saga, and this was sure one hell of a League!

It's so unfair for Ash. :-( He should have won the League.
Poor guy.

Well, at least the battles were cool to watch.

I wasn't terribly impressed with anything in the league, but that's pretty much my reaction to most of DP.

Then the last battle sealed the deal for me.

Quitting your first fandom is hard, man.

I wasn't terribly impressed with anything in the league, but that's pretty much my reaction to most of DP.

Then the last battle sealed the deal for me.

Quitting your first fandom is hard, man.

Well, I will give credit to Sceptile, who showed us that Ash actually has Awesome Grass Pokemon. Torterra can't win a match, Sceptile on it's first battle beats a Darkrai. Huge difference in quality here.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom