• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your "That's a Pokemon?!?" Moments

I had that feeling the first time I saw an Unknown and a Chimecho.

I only know like, four, of the fifth generation Pokémon so far. Maybe I should go check them out?

Only once.
When Blaziken first appeared in the Johto league ( or was it some leaked picture from a japanese magazine before it appeared in the league..I don't know).
Blaziken is the only Pokémon that I felt ( back then) looked like a ...(omg)...Digimon! I guess it is because of its face, I don't really know. I learned to accept it over the years but I still think that Combusken needs a much better more chicken-like evo.

Gen 2 is the only time I can recall this happening to a significant degree. When I was younger, I remember flicking through a GS book in Tesco and seeing some of the 2nd gen monsters for the first time. I like some of them now, but man. Wobbuffet? Dunsparce? Forretress? Sneasel? There are many, many more I could list that made me double take.

Yeah...that was me too, but I think it was because when I first saw them it was either the sprites in that Sandwich Island's Japanese-version guide, or the weird art that Pojo used.

Snubbull especially, when he was floating around the Internet as "Blue", was one who didn't quite click with me.

I don't have any of those moments anymore. Since I found out (through 'The Origin of Species' Bulbanews article, I'll admit) that Jirachi was based on some part of a Japanese festival, I'm not surprised by anything.

Crimigan. It just looks like one of those generic plastic dragon toys you'd get sometimes with a meal when you went to Mcdonalds.

during December of 09 when every one changed there profile picture to a pokemon one person switch to a arcues and i was like there no way thats a pokemon but it was

Arceus surprised me the most. At first all I could see was a mass of clouds and a golden ring. Lawd, 'twas so confusing.

Then there's Giratina. Something always seemed a bit off about the guy, I still cannot say what. The Origin Forme didn't do anything just; it just made it more confusing.

And last but not least: Gamageroge. When I first saw it, the only thing that came to mind was, "OHGODNOTHISCANTBEHAPPENING." A Pokemon based off of the Surinam toad, the most vile looking creature I know. No way I can catch and battle with one.

All of the Isshu Pokemon. Except the legendaries and the polar bear evos.

The rest just looks weird. Excluding the epic robot looking ones

Ultraman... err... Kirikizan threw me for a loop when I saw him for the first time.

A lot of the newer ones. And then there are a few from the previous generations.

Pretty much any new pokemon I see for the first time, since there's really no way to decide if something "looks" like a pokemon or not...but I get used to them eventually and they all rock.

Zekrom, most of the other Gen V Pokemon I remember seeing(Well pretty much the majority of the other Gen V Pokemon I remember seeing), Gen IV evolutions like Magmortar etc etc.

ive pretty much accepted every pokemon, then i saw gear, that thing was stuffed and then i saw the ice cream thing that just weirded me out, seriously they could have thought of plenty of other ice types, but an ice cream?

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom