• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Splatoon shouldn't have a battle royale mode at all. It would demand too much from the game anyways, because of so many ink colors that need to be accounted for. Plus, battle royale is about pure elimination anyways. And how are they going to fit a battle royale into a game where the lore specifically shows that there's a safety net against death from being splatted? No, they can't just make it so player characters are permanently splatted, thus the main reason why Splatoon shouldn't have a battle royale mode.

Nintendo Directs are overrated and specially overhyped. If you have loads of money and can judge whether a game is worthy or not based on short gameplays, these are for you, but if you just want to check out a particular franchise or just check on how Nintendo is doing they can become quite tedious. Their "big surprises" also tend to be very repetitive, as very rarely they are something outside Splatoon, Smash Bros or Zelda. I get that everyone liked Breath of the Wild but is it worth it to give the last minute of every Direct dedicated to the sequel for two years or so? Another thing that bothers me is the fan reception, I swear I have heard phrases like "That was the best Direct of the last 5 years" or "Directs have peaked" (and the June classic "Nintendo won E3") for every single one!

Anyway, another controversial opinion is that the Switch generation should last 9+ years. The last time Nintendo had a big hit and didn't know how to follow it was with the Wii U and we know how that went, they should take their time to evaluate what the post-COVID landscape is and what is the real power of the Switch brand. A common argument against it is the performance/graphics, but that has never been Nintendo's strength and the non-Pokemon games are decent on that regard.

Nintendo Directs are overrated and specially overhyped. If you have loads of money and can judge whether a game is worthy or not based on short gameplays, these are for you, but if you just want to check out a particular franchise or just check on how Nintendo is doing they can become quite tedious. Their "big surprises" also tend to be very repetitive, as very rarely they are something outside Splatoon, Smash Bros or Zelda ...

Don't forget Fire Emblem! Another one of those franchises that shows up oh-so frequently as one of the "big surprises". :rolleyes:

I just have to accept that Nintendo Directs will never be as exciting as they used to be for me.

Don't forget Fire Emblem! Another one of those franchises that shows up oh-so frequently as one of the "big surprises". :rolleyes:
A franchise that most likely i would like if i played it, but the over saturation of it turns me off hard from the franchise. It seems since Awakening there's been like a game, mainline or otherwise, a year and i'm honestly sick of hearing and reading about it. Doesn't help that Sakurai started to add way too many characters from that series into Smash Bros.

The over saturation of it is funny in hindsight because it took so long for the franchise to pick up steam in the west (i think Awakening was legit the game that broke the franchise into the mainstream), to the point i think there's a couple of old games (according to wikipedia there's six japan only games) in the franchise that haven't been released outside of Japan.

Last edited:
The map in Jedi - Fallen Order is fine, actually. Honestly it's pretty damn intuitive imo. I dunno if I just have above-average spatial reasoning or something, but in pretty much any situation I found the map to be pretty intuitive and easy to use to get around. For something I'd seen so many people make a fuss about I was actually pretty pleasantly surprised.

The Wii U's first party lineup is not that great, and in fact I think its lineup issues are part of the reason why it failed.

The biggest flaw in the Wii U's lineup is the lack of ambitious explorable single player adventure games. Longtime fans that grew up with games like Mario 64/Sunshine, Banjo-Kazooie, OoT, or Metroid Prime, or non-Nintendo fans that liked open world games such as Skyrim, found little that appealed to them on the Wii U. Having Super Mario 3D World instead of a more sandbox feeling 3D Mario game like 64 and Sunshine, BotW being delayed into being a cross gen title, Pokemon remaining handheld exclusive, and Metroid skipping the console entirely turned people off to the console, and very few of that audience cared about Xenoblade or WW/TP HD. Without those kinds of experiences prominently displayed and with them focusing more on casual titles such as multiplayer party games and linear platformers, there was probably a sentiment that Nintendo was a "kiddie" console that couldn't/didn't want to run the big beefy exploration games and so they skipped the Wii U.

Beyond that, the linear platformers they did focus on did little to separate themselves from their predecessors (such as NSMBU, 3D World, and Tropical Freeze). There were a few creative level ideas, yes, but that wasn't enough to justify having separate games. They felt like DLC level packs for their Wii/3DS predecessors, with no real gameplay evolutions that made them feel like new and next gen experiences. Might be an entire genre issue because I haven't seen any 2D platformer find a way to do this, but nevertheless, it affected a large portion of Wii U exclusives. I just don't think there was a lot of excitement for these games except for the hardcore fans of these IPs.

Meanwhile, I think Nintendo picked up on this with the Switch which is why it was far more successful. They had BotW and Mario Odyssey Year 1, which gave them instant momentum, and they continued adding more of these types of experiences throughout the Switch's lifespan. 2D platformers have also taken a backseat and primarily relied on ports, with Nintendo presumably taking a step back and spending the entire generation thinking about how to evolve the genre and hopefully figuring it out next gen. They seemed to have a much better handle on the types of games people actually wanted to play on the Switch than the Wii U, especially when it comes to adventure games.

I like me some japanese-teenagers-killing-god video game music, but tbh ominous latin chanting + orchestral piece is kind of generic at this point? I feel like there are a lot of people who kind of think that epic/cool/just good music = unique music. Music is tropey in general, so I don't get why this genre of games seems to have so many people thinking that composers are constantly reinventing the wheel with their music.

Here's an interesting one. MegaMan Network Transmission is an underrated game and doesn't deserve the hate it gets.

For starters, the level designs are gorgeous, especially since it's a GameCube game. It really shows the power of the GC. Secondly, it actually makes several meh to terrible chips actually useful (when you can turn MiniBomb from the first chip most players get rid of to a game-breaker you know you're doing something right), or at least more practical and useful (like the Spice chips, since they act more like a barrier combined with an attack, like how Pike Balls work in the Shantae series). Thirdly, a number of enemies, levels, and attacks are homages to past MegaMan games (like the Sniper Joe enemies or ShadowMan's level taking a page from the original Guts Man's level). Fourth, there are no annoying chip codes and you can hold multiples of each chip without clogging up space in the folder (ie: you can have 30 Cannons that all take up the same slot), which makes folder building much easier. Not to mention if you pick up a chip from an enemy that you've already used (like, again, Cannon), it'll replenish that chip, giving you more firepower without running out too often. Fifth, it actually helps tie into some plot-points between BN1 and 2, which can help improve the story of BN2 and give some subtle foreshadowing. And finally, the music. Oh, the music is amazing. Some of the best in any MegaMan game. It earns a chef's kiss from me. And, like some of the enemies, some BGM pays tribute to past MegaMan games (ie: Blazing Internet pays homage to the original Fire Man's level).

Yes, I don't deny there are a few scrappy mechanics that could've been better implemented, such as the Custom Gauge, the MB Gauge, and the fact the game still uses the outdated Elemental Armor system (which isn't quite as useful as it was in BN1, since it only halves damage from the element it's assigned to, not all damage sans the armor's weakness in BN1). But those problems are largely manageable and not a huge deal breaker. So, overall, I feel that MegaMan Network Transmission is overlooked and underrated and doesn't deserve the hate it gets.

There shouldn't be badges in Splatoon 3 that in reality, only certain player groups will be able to get exclusively. I don't know, maybe Nintendo will change their minds much like how they changed their minds on Big Run.

Since the remake of Super Mario RPG recently came out, I can say this:
Geno is a literal nobody character with 0 personality and the entire 'Geno for Smash' movement is a great example of how echo chambers can form in hardcore fandoms.

He's a single party member from a single JRPG that came out 27 years ago (for Japan and North America, let us not forget that Europe and Australia didn't officially get Super Mario RPG until it was rereleased on the Virtual Console in 2008) who has basically no relevance storywise and his entire personality can be summed up as 'gives exposition for the game's MacGuffin'. Also while Super Mario RPG was far from being a commercial failure (it was the 20th best-selling SNES game), it still came out prior to JRPGs exploding in popularity in the West with the release of Final Fantasy VII, so it was more of a cult hit in the West than anything else.

But anyways the whole movement to get Geno added to Smash Bros is basically just hardcore fans of both Smash Bros and Super Mario RPG (or bandwagoners because I wouldn't be surprised if a not insignificant number of 'Geno for Smash' types have never even played SMRPG and just participate because of the hype of this movement), the majority of whom likely only ever interact with other hardcore fans and this has resulted in an echo chamber where they think that Geno must be this super-popular character who tons of people want added to Smash when, in reality, it's just a vocal minority who have been clamoring for him and that's it.

(They also latch on to Sakurai's comment about how he considered adding Geno to Brawl but I'll be honest, there's probably tons of characters he's considered adding to Smash Bros for one reason or another that never made the cut. Geno likely isn't anything special)

Mallow deserves to be in Smash more than Geno does and even then I'd still say it's unlikely because he, and all SMRPG characters, are co-owned by Square-Enix and why would you go to SE and ask them for permission to use characters from one cult hit JRPG from nearly 30 years ago and not characters from Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, like Nintendo ultimately did?

Even as someone who played Mario RPG when it first came out and loves it to bits I don't get the "Geno for Smash" movement's vigor; I once saw a meme trying to claim he's a better choice than Dragon Quest's Hero because "he was an important part of a very popular game" and shook my head. Someone trying to point out how inaccurate it was got heavily downvoted.

...To be honest I always dumped Geno and Mallow for Bowser and Peach/Toadstool.

The HD2D art style game with fantasy genre is the worst genre possible and Square Enix making that type of game genuinely ticks me off. The pixel art stands out like a sore thumb the shaders are an assult on the eyes and genuinely not good whatsoever and people who say BW remakes should have that style are completely and utterly wrong. HD2D is best done when combined with actual good shading (best example i can think of is Cassette Beasts as its HD2D with good shading limited 3D and that is what BW remakes should look like)

Speaking of annoying fan movements, I remember at E3 2016, Nintendo said they would announce a new RPG IP, then loads of people complained that it wasn't Mother 3.

Fourth, there are no annoying chip codes and you can hold multiples of each chip without clogging up space in the folder (ie: you can have 30 Cannons that all take up the same slot), which makes folder building much easier.
I dunno how unpopular of a take this is, but since the topic's been brought up, I actually rather liked chip codes once I really got into the swing of folder construction. They make it trickier to get things how you want them, of course, but that's part of the system's intrigue. You gotta ask yourself questions about how you want to balance using the chips you want but might not synergise vs using chips that may not be your favourite but do synergise with the ones you have. It's an interesting balancing act in both design and gameplay that I actually rather liked.

Anyway, here's some Battle Network takes that I know are nuclear! Battle Network 3 is the worst one and Battle Network 4 is one of my favourites. BN3 does a lot of things well, I must admit. It's still Battle Network, it's still a baseline level of fun. But its horrendous handling of mandatory Navi-Cust programs and obnoxious design on some scenarios actually made me legitimately mad at the game in a way that none of the others ever managed. BN4, meanwhile, has a lot of problems, but I enjoy the structure of the character vignette stories in the tournament brackets, and admittedly it scores bonus points for introducing Double Soul, the best form system.

Another thing that's annoying about fan movements is impatience.

Literately, this crap happened with the Splatoon franchise of all franchises it could happen to. We were just fine with Splatoon 2 on the Switch. I really didn't want two Splatoon games on the same system, and yet people were clamoring for Splatoon 3 before the Switch's successor could come out, and for the first half of its update cycle, it shows how the developers rushed the game, the online sucked a lot and there were way too many faults with how you could progress through the game. Ironically, the single-player mode was one of the better outcomes. This also meant that Animal Crossing New Horizons suffered because the devs had to leave the game early for another Splatoon release on the Switch (which could've just waited until the next system anyway).

To top it all off, in another forum, someone already decided to demand a Splatoon 4, when Splatoon 3 itself wasn't even past its first quarter in its update cycle. Just stop demanding devs to pump out low-quality games and let them develop the game further so they can iron out many of the flaws before release!

Back
Top Bottom