• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should Ash use reserves in the Sinnoh League ?

Should Ash use reserves in the Sinnoh League ?

• I'm all for it, it's the best news i've heard all year

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • As long as he only uses his Sinnoh pokemon against Paul, I'm ok with him bringing in reserves

Votes: 22 46.8%
  • The only reserve he shoud call upon is Gliscor

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I'm indifferent, doesn't affect me one way or the other...

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • It's a slap in the face for his Sinnoh pokemon, he should only use them.

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
Because everybody thinks the Kanto Starters are freakin' gods of the show.
Calm down, calm down.

Okay, my thoughts!

I want to see reserves. But not simply for battling. I'd be as happy as a Clamperl if they brought back the oldies for fun times with the newbies. Some Pokemon would be like two peas in a pod and others like oil and water. Pokemon interaction in the anime has always been a strong point (and one of my fav. parts) and what show wouldn't focus on the thing that makes it so popular?

- Obvious pair-up: Cyndaquil + Cyndaquil. We had our special little Bulbasaur episode in AG. It's time we had the two flaming echidnas get friendly.

- Muk + Anyone: MUK SMOTHER!! Muk is such a happy and exuberant Pokemon.

- Gible + Corphish: Angry Straight Man and Slow Idiot.

For the League, if they do the smart thing and put the focus entirely back on Ash's shoulders then we'd be looking at 4 full potential 6 vs. 6 Battles at minimum. The Evergrande Conference had a lot of back and forth with Tyson and Morrison's matches (though the big focus was obviously Ash). Understandable, since they were friends. Depending on whether they let Barry, Nando, and Conway join up or have them go off to do their own thing (like I'm guessing Paul will do), the matches could be super long or super quick. We aren't going to have a huge stretch of time at the League after all.

So that means calling on the reserves. My ideal roster would be a mix-and-match of Sinnoh Pokemon and a sprinkle of the older guys. Something like a 1:1 ratio for the fights (half Sinnoh, half whatever else they want to fill in). The Sinnoh Pokemon are the stars of course.

why dont u guys just calm down. If the writers want to bring back the Kanto starters they will, and if they dont want to they wont. So lets wait and see. From what i can speculate the Kanto trio will probably come back but after the league.

I want Bulbasaur and Squirtle to reappear they are soo cute!!! And Charizard for an aerial arsenal since Staraptor is just a Pidgeot remake

As to answer the question, i want his reserves to be used but NOT against Paul since i want him to prove Paul was wrong. Against Paul he needs to use Pikachu, Infernape, Buizel, Torterra, Staraptor and Gliscor/Gible.

I don't really care either way, I guess it would be nice to see them as long as they're not used against Paul. The only exception is Gliscor, I really hope it returns for the league in some way.

That being said, My point stands, I think that Ash using old pokemon would sorta prove Paul right... Philosophically speaking I mean, cause in theory, I mean Ash refused at the end of Hoenn to have his old pokemon back, because (I'm paraphrasing here) "His Hoenn pokemon were the ones who won him the gym badges so they're the ones who deserved to be in the league" Now 3-4 years later, same Ash, same philosophy, is sorta saying to his Sinnoh pokemon "forget that you're the ones who helped me get my eight badges, I'm bringing in reserves cause I can't win the League with you alone." I mean throughout the Sinnoh journey, the one difference between Ash and Paul is that Paul was switching his pokemon and Ash wasn't. Oh, also, Paul is a sadist...

I have nothing against certain pokemon coming back (lord knows that the Johto starters and Noctowl need more screentime) The somewhat lukewarm reaction I have towards a return isn't really because I don't want to see them comeback, it's because I feel it doesn't reaaly fit Ash's character..

I have nothing against certain pokemon coming back (lord knows that the Johto starters and Noctowl need more screentime) The somewhat lukewarm reaction I have towards a return isn't really because I don't want to see them comeback, it's because I feel it doesn't reaaly fit Ash's character..
You're assuming that his primary reason for bringing them back will be a strategic one. I think it is more probable that Prof. Oak will tell Ash that his old friends want to help him out, and that he will accept the offer. In other words, it will be the Pokémon's choice rather than Ash's, as has been the case for several times in the series' history, particularly recently.

You're assuming that his primary reason for bringing them back will be a strategic one. I think it is more probable that Prof. Oak will tell Ash that his old friends want to help him out, and that he will accept the offer. In other words, it will be the Pokémon's choice rather than Ash's, as has been the case for several times in the series' history, particularly recently.

That makes a lot of sense... it would fit Ash's character, can't find anything wrong with your theory... I guess it could make sense if the writers go for the idea that the pokemon want to help out and wanna battle... Never looked at it that way. I hope it means the Johto starters and Noctowl come back with new moves and we see a possible evolution in the League for a certain water crocodile... I hope they come back and kick ass without overshadowing the sinnoh pokemons... It's fine line to manage for the writers...

and we see a possible evolution in the League for a certain water crocodile...
If that happened, it really would be overshadowing the Sinnoh team. There is plenty of time for it to happen after the League.

I do hope that the focus after the League will no longer be exclusively on the Sinnoh team, which is to say that Ash's roster will change. Four years is more than enough development, and the fact that the next generation is still a long ways away doesn't change that. While the Sinnoh team should definitely be used for important battles after the League, what sort of training are they going to get (other than Gible)?

Basically agree that Ash will/should use his Sinnoh Pokemon against Paul. His Sinnohs have actually gotten some good character development, unlike previous seasons, and with how close they have come to defeating Paul multiple times already and how much work Ash has put into the strategies, they will be the ones to face Paul in the league.

Now, I'm all for the reserves coming in for other matches. Bulba, Squirtle, and Charizard would be awesome!

Basically agree that Ash will/should use his Sinnoh Pokemon against Paul. His Sinnohs have actually gotten some good character development, unlike previous seasons, and with how close they have come to defeating Paul multiple times already and how much work Ash has put into the strategies, they will be the ones to face Paul in the league.

Now, I'm all for the reserves coming in for other matches. Bulba, Squirtle, and Charizard would be awesome!

Heres the thing thow: If every generation Ash only uses his new pokemon, then he will never actually win the league since the other trainers would possibly be using their oldest or older pokemon. Now i dont want his Sinnoh pokemon to be overshadowed by older ones and they have done alot (and i think his sinnoh pokes should be used versus Paul) but using some of his older reserves in other battles (especially the Johto ones and Kingler) who deserve more screentime isnt a bad idea at all.

I do hope that the focus after the League will no longer be exclusively on the Sinnoh team, which is to say that Ash's roster will change. Four years is more than enough development, and the fact that the next generation is still a long ways away doesn't change that. While the Sinnoh team should definitely be used for important battles after the League, what sort of training are they going to get (other than Gible)?

I think it's obvious that in whatever the next saga after Sinnoh is, Johto or not, Ash's team will get a big refresh
Buizel is totally replaced with Toto
Staraptor/Torterra/Infernape might be replacted by Noctowl/Bayleef/Cyndaquil
Cynda should evolve once
Toto should fully evolve
Gible should stay and evolve at least once (though I'd like to see it as a Gible for as much as possible, since it'd probably get more boring after evolution)

The Sinnoh team (except for Gible) are going to be in much more episodes than the Hoenn/Johto/Kanto teams were (not to mention in Hoenn Torkoal/Glalie didn't continue to BF so they have even less than the rest of the Hoenn team)
The whole AG series was 190 eps
Sinnoh alone looks like it'll be about 200 eps
The Sinnoh team also got pretty good personalities, development and battles so in the upcoming year of Sinnoh left they'd get even MORE... that's already too much and it'll be time to refresh the show after so long and to give chance to the neglected Poké to redeem themselves

Ageed, after the league is over, Ash's team will definitely contain pikachu, totodile, noctowl and gible. As far as bayleaf and cyndaquil are concerned, I'm not so sure... I think Ash will do what he did in the Kanto BF and only keep with him 4 pokemon and keep changing the last two spot on his roster...

I really want to see Charizard but I don't think Ash need it for now. Charizard's power now is not so neccessary because he will have enough powerful pokemon at Sinnoh League.
Charizard is Ash's triumph card and far more powerful than the others. Ash can beat Nando, Barry and so on even without him. Against Paul I am sure he will use his Shinnoh team. Ash will need his Charizard at E4 challenge. If there will be anothe Battle Frontier I will be just dissappointed. It will just mean we won't see Charizard. But against E4 Ash will need it. That's for sure.

In preview we just saw Ash's Snorlax. So maybe he will use one pokemon of his BIG THREE (Charizard, Sceptile, Snorlax) in the league. It will be just enough for the league I think.

Cyndaquil don't need to evolve at all since he's already strong enough and this crap need to stop.

Bayleef its pretty strong as she its and don't have no reason to evolve at all.

Totodile have already shown to be pretty strong with out evolving back in Johto and he its not weak at all.

This crap about the Johto team being redeem need to stop because they were never weak or neglected,they were the best team Ash ever had.

Its good that Ash its going to have a Torterra but its not going to be able to move that much and i hope the writers no what they are doing, Infernape was going to happened anyways and this will be the first time in the shows history that Ash had two starters fully evolve in one region, since he didn't have any fully evolve Pokemon in Hoenn and for the last fucking damn time Buizel don't need to evolve because it is already a strong powerhouse that prove its self alot of times in pokemon battles, Gible can still evolve even when the Sinnoh League its done.

Say, guys, you know what? I think the Johto pokemon need to evolve! Yeah. Imagine Cyndaquil and Totodile, not being a Cyndaquil and Totodile. Buoysel too, while we're at it. He wouldn't be a Cyndaquil or Totodile either! Wouldn't that be neato-rific?!

But man, am I ever pissed that primitive homo-sapiens evolved. I mean, sheesh. Those guys were already strong enough as it was, and they certainly proved themselves with their usage of sticks to gather ants!

But man, am I ever pissed that primitive homo-sapiens evolved. I mean, sheesh. Those guys were already strong enough as it was, and they certainly proved themselves with their usage of sticks to gather ants!

I also wish that too. I mean, imagine, no shipping wars, no people being attracted to imaginary characters, and most importantly, NO PIKACHU. No, politicians would be still there.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom