• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official English HG/SS Names & The Game Corner changed in ALL versions

bobandbill

Stand up
Reaction score
serebii.net updated with a ton of stuff just recently and I didn't see any new threads on it, so thought I'd make it myself and all. Essentially, we now have the English names for the protagonists, TR executives, key items, and a few places... in the spoiler in a fun bullet-point format for the most part!

• Ethan = Hibiki (ヒビキ) (AKA Gold, the male Protagonist)
  • Lyra = Kotone (コトネ) (The female protagonist)
Next are the Team Rocket executives:
  • Rocket Executive Proton = Rocket Executive Lance (ランス)
  • Rocket Executive Petrel = Rocket Executive Lambda (ラムダ)
  • Rocket Executive Arianna = Rocket Executive Athena (アテナ)
  • Rocket Executive Archer = Rocket Executive Apollo (アポロ)
Goodbye old Rocket names... oh and a Pokeathlon guy gets a name too:
  • Pokéathlon Founder Magnus = Pokéathlon Founder Kobushi (コブシ)
Items are next - at least a bunch of Key Items.
  • Apricorn Box = Apricorn Case (ぼんぐりケース)
  • Berry Pots = Berry Planter (きのみプランター)
  • Dowsing MCHN = Itemfinder/Dowsing Machine (ダウジングマシン)
  • Enigma Stone = Enigma Crystal (なぞのすいしょう)
  • GB Sounds = GB Player (GBプレイヤー)
  • Jade Orb = Green Orb (もえぎいろのたま)
  • Pass = Train Pass (リニアパス)
  • Tidal Bell = Wave Bell (うみなりのスズ)
  • Unown Report = Unown Note (アンノーンノート)
  • Sport Ball = CompeBall (コンペボール)
And other Miscellaneous stuff:
The Pokéthlon (ポケスロン) is now known as the Pokéathlon. The 'technique' state for the Pokethlon is also called 'Skill' now. In addition to this the Apricorn Shaker, used to help boost your Pokéathlon stats, creates 'Aprijuice'.
First, the Shinto Ruins (シントいせき) have been renamed in the US version to Sinjoh Ruins, keeping the original intention of the combination of the Sinnoh and Johto regions. Inside, the stage is called the Mystri Stage as opposed to the Triad Stage. It's also worth noting that you can do this event twice, once with the Arceus given away at Toys R Us last year, and once with a Hall of Origin Arceus, should one ever be given.
The Hidden Tower (うずもれのとう) in Route 47, where Groudon, Kyogre & Rayquaza dwell is now known as the Embedded Tower.

It seems the new rocket names may still have an irl Rocket-naming motif apparnetly, or so someone said. The biggest change for me would be Gold/Hikibi's name to Ethan there - now he has a name and it's not something like Jimmy, and idk about the replacing of the ItemFinder's name to 'Dowsing MCHN' now - I guess they just wanted to keep it in line with D/P/Pt. -_-

As for the Game Corner...
Finally, the final bit of information is in regards to the Game Corner. The Game Corner has changed in all regions outside of Japan. Instead of the slot machines, they have added a minigame called Voltorb Flip. This game is reminiscent of games such as minesweeper where you have to flip tiles and you get a variety of bonuses of multipliers (x1, x2 & x3). However, in addition to that, you may also find Voltorbs which are placed randomly in each set. You get shown how many Voltorbs are in each row and column and your task is to get the multipliers and not hit any Voltorb tiles. As you progress without hitting Voltorbs, the levels get harder, more Voltorb tiles appear and the higher coin multipliers become more abundant. If you keep hitting Voltorbs, you will end up back at the bottom level.
So it's not just going to be changed for Europe - but for everywhere. Oh boy. XD At least there's a bonus game added in unlike with Europe's Platinum?

Last edited:
PROTON?!
PETREL?! PETREL?! UNCLEFUCKASSENSITIVITYULTRAMACHINENSIVE PETREL?! WTF?!
ARCHER?!

WHAT.THE.FUCKIN'.MOTHERFUCKIN'.HELL!

Ethan?

Dowsing MCHN?! What the holymotherfuckingassanationalitiviticaliwarfarestrategyinfraverticallyministrative hell?! WHAT WAS WRONG WITH ITEMFINDER?

AND VOLTORB MACHINE GAME?! GOD?! WHAT THE Screwyinfernallypersonalitivitytranslucentlypresentativemilitarilymiasmaticativemanicalitransitivitysaintvisitiveholymotherfuckassion is that supposed to be?!

Man...

I Transfinitiveanimationically hate NoA.

PROTON?!
PETREL?! PETREL?! UNCLEFUCKASSENSITIVITYULTRAMACHINENSIVE PETREL?! WTF?!
ARCHER?!

WHAT.THE.FUCKIN'.MOTHERFUCKIN'.HELL!

Ethan?

Dowsing MCHN?! What the holymotherfuckingassanationalitiviticaliwarfarestrategyinfraverticallyministrative hell?! WHAT WAS WRONG WITH ITEMFINDER?

AND VOLTORB MACHINE GAME?! GOD?! WHAT THE Screwyinfernallypersonalitivitytranslucentlypresentativemilitarilymiasmaticativemanicalitransitivitysaintvisitiveholymotherfuckassion is that supposed to be?!

Man...

You, bro, summed up my thoughts perfectly.

GameFreak localisation group, you're doing it wrong.

I MEAN SERIOUSLY WTF THOSE NAMES?

Not at all surprised that the slot machines are getting the boot, which from this point on I'm going to assume will be the case for future games in all territories. It's not that big a loss imo, since they were never all that brilliant in the first place. Maybe for future generations the game corners could be turned into video game arcades and have proper minigames or something. I dunno about anyone else, but that would give me an incentive to actually bother with those places.

As for the name changes? I don't care really, but I just can't help but wonder 'what's the point?' for several of 'em. Feels like they're starting to rename certain things for the hell of it or something.

I think everyone already knew everything in the spoiler, and as for the game corner; I really don't care about it.

WHY???
So instead of remake the slots and card flips, they DITCH THEM in the US version. Wow nintendo, just wow. And the names. What were they thinking? Can't they just keep it the way it was in original GSC?

I can see some of you are taking the changes well. ;P I'm inclined to agree though that a number of the changes aren't that great though personally, but that's localisation for you. >_<

Game Corner change is probably down to changed game ratings...I'm lazy and will just quote someone from elsewhere:
Its part of PEGI's rating scheme. It had become apparent at the Platinum rating survey that there were certain things obtainable via slot machine winnings that were not obtainable any where else.

I contacted PEGI shortly after the EU release of Platinum, and they said the instance above is recognised as encouragement to gamble. If Nintendo kept it in, it would face a 12+ rating.
I suppose the fact the games are the same explain why the game release dates for the US/Australia/Europe is within two weeks of each other as opposed to a few months now though, at least partly? (Europe were probably faster with things anyways though what with translating into multiple languages I imagine, but this may have helped some, potentially).
I think everyone already knew everything in the spoiler, and as for the game corner; I really don't care about it.
The news is only a few hours old though. =P The only one being known about before then was Kotone's english name.
Can't they just keep it the way it was in original GSC?
Note that a number of these didn't even have names in GSC iirc (like the Rocket executives, and Kotone/Lyra). That and one of the Rockets in the Japanese version was called Lance, yet that was already taken by the Champion - maybe they decided to change his because of that and decided everyone else could be changed as well?

The news is only a few hours old though. =P The only one being known about before then was Kotone's english name.

No I mean if people have really been following HG/SS hardcore through the months they would should have known everything in the spoiler by now. Just saying I've seen playthoughs so I knew most of the things, other then the main characters English names.

I see. I had an inkling of a few myself, and some I half guessed would be the case anyways (like of the Pokeathlon), I suppose...

No I mean if people have really been following HG/SS hardcore through the months they would should have known everything in the spoiler by now. Just saying I've seen playthoughs so I knew most of the things, other then the main characters English names.
The spoilers are the names themselves, rather than the content associated with them. Character and item names may not be important to you (nor to me), but that is what this thread is about and there is little point in complaining about spoiler tags.

Since I noticed that the Lock Capsule was missing from the list, I sent Serebii a message asking him about it. I hope that I am allowed to share with everyone else that the item's official English is indeed the Lock Capsule, as opposed to the Rock Capsule or something completely different. In light of the new games and the ability to transfer the item, I fully expect that it will have some use in the near future (Movie 13 promotion).

No, I didn't, until now.

Cool stuff there, except for Dowsing MCHN. That's just... no. They obviously wanted to keep the item's name consistent within this generation (the Pokétch app was called Dowsing Machine), but if they still can't handle more than 12 characters in an item name (those name lengths are from, like, stone age), they should've sticked to Itemfinder.

As for Game Corner changing, I don't know. With Pt, it was the EU version being nerfed, now they at least replaced the slots with something more interesting than "game machines which for some reason spawn random coins no one except the main hero cares about".

The spoilers are the names themselves, rather than the content associated with them. Character and item names may not be important to you (nor to me), but that is what this thread is about and there is little point in complaining about spoiler tags.

No, I didn't, until now.

I wasn't complaining and I was just saying most people should know this info, but I guess not everyone has been following HG/SS as I thought. Sorry.
:dodgy:

Voltorb flip? You know I would never know this because I never use the game corner.

Ethan? Okay, good name.

PROTON? PETREL? ARCHER? I like Arianna Dumbledore, but Proton? Petrel? Archer? Not exactly the big bad boss names you associate with a mafia.

You know, I am going to have no issue taking these guys down. I will make them ashamed of their names.

Petrel, dear Arceus. What is the point of that name? Was he smoking gas and that's why he has that stoned look on his face? What is the significance behind these names?

EDIT: Okay, I can forgive Archer. I'm guessing it's a nickname and it is meant to strike fear into the hearts of trainers and yadda yadda. But what is the significance of Proton and Petrel?

Last edited:
I fear the future of the English version of Pokemon.

They take how long to localize the games, and this is the best they have to offer? Seriously did they spend one whole day on creating the names for these characters. Lyra seems like the only one they spent time thinking on.

Oh but I guess creating a Voltorb Flip mini game is what took their whole time.

God only knows what the names of Future Pokemon are going to look like.

Fuck you, PEGI, and fuck you Nintendo for changing the game for all areas instead of just giving the US what they want. Europe has some of the worst censorship as games are concerned in the world, and we have to put up with this shit now?

(yes I'm butthurt- I suck at Minesweeper)

I guess sacrifices had to be made in order to facilitate close releases like this. Unfortunately, we took the bullet this time. RIP, slots, we will miss you.

I don't really like hibiki's English name, I think they should have left them what they were I'm the japanese versions because they fit them better. Lyre isn't bad tho beciase wasn't that what kotone translated to?

Wow. Everyone's complaining. Gee...big surprise... Seriously, no matter what GF or NoA do, everyone seems to complain about something. I'm willing to bet that people would complain over the character's names no matter what they were.

Personally, I never saw Hibiki or Kotone as an Ethan or a Lyra, but I like the names, so I'm not going to make a fuzz. The Rocket names could have been better, but it's not something to get butthurt over imo.

As for the slots, well, at least they weren't completely removed, just replaced. Not that I care, I never use the slots anyway.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with this and frankly, I don't see the point in wasting my energy with whining about something that's already been decided.

I agree, people will alwYs complain but it's what happens when there is a popular game coming out. I don't like the rocket name and yes I'm complaining beciase they don't seem thought out. Ethan is ok not like it matters tho I'm going to name him what I want

Back
Top Bottom