• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What does the future hold for Dawn now that DP is winding down?

What does the future hold for Dawn?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
She was simply there for moral support. She had the dream of "being a water Pokemon master" but what happened too that?

Last thing which writers did more actively regarding her goal was in Whirl Cup,where it was defined little more term of water pokemon master title.After that the only thing which was connected with her ultimate goal was in "Just Add Water" episode at end of Johto with battle against Dorian,after that sadly being ditched to take care of gym out of obligation with excuse of "sisters are incompetent".

Misty as character had achievements but writers simply werent expereienced enough not handling some things right.In these days things would be different.

so the writers decided to bring in a new type of girl named May.

Actually May was introduced because of marketing purposes to advertize new features from games contests,and seeing how she was heroine from Ruby,Sapphire she was more suitable for this job than Misty was which had nothing to do with them.

About your question,well i stated my view several times regarding cast in group and i definitely support option of having same characters instead constantly replacing them for new ones,treating older ones like dirt pretending like they were never vital for this show.

In my honest opinion it would be much,much better either keeping Dawn if contests need to stay(whats the point in bringing newbie coordinator doing same thing third time in a row?),OR bringing someone older like Misty expanding more on her goal and development.Advantage she has over others is that she isnt doing contests so she would probably do anime only thing to advance her dream which would be something dfferent,new and unexpected.She is great character who could offer alot for this show.
Yes,yes games need to be advertized,well i say let them be promoted by not introducing new characters from games,in other ways(people already know how,no need to explain it).

To hhhhdmt:I agree with every single word you said,you pretty much summed it up nicely how fans feel,and what they want.

I'm split in this question, wont go into the arguments of why she would or wouldnt stay, there's 15 pages of thread for those who want to know.

My first thought is that I really want Misty back, but as she doesn't do pokemon contests i think that is very unlikely. Maybe she would start with this Pokeathlon thing, dont know much about it since i haven't played HGSS but if so I think there's a possibility she would come back.

I do hope that Dawn stays because I liked her a lot more than May. But the next girl might be even better than dawn, I imagine a May clone but I dont understand why, ofcourse this new girl could be awesome!

But I'm ok with whatever, just don't touch Brock!! :p

Urgh. I'll keep this simple. All my own opinions, unlike some I'm not going to claim that they are the views of the entire fandom.

I think Hikari will leave so that a new girl can take her place.

I don't want Hikari to leave. She has always interested me more then Kasumi or Haruka.

Kasumi's goal was too unestablished, she got boring after a while. "She was the original companion so she should come back!" doesn't cut it for me. So no Kasumi return for me please.

Haruka was better then Kasumi, her rivals were interesting. AG contests however weren't that great until Battle Frontier and I didn't really like Masato. He wasn't necessary.

Hikari is/was great. A mostly good, developed team and a creative attitude towards contests. Some of her rivals are a bit naff but a particular one makes up for it.

tl;dr version - Hikari > other girls. Hikari will leave. Don't want her to leave.

There is no legitimate replacement for Brock, so he should stay. I guess because the writers have been trying so hard to make Dawn and Ash as equals, they havent focused enough on brock because of that.

Kasumi's goal was too unestablished, she got boring after a while. "She was the original companion so she should come back!" doesn't cut it for me. So no Kasumi return for me please.

Not as a main character. I would like another small appearance but no not as a main character again please.

Haruka was better then Kasumi, her rivals were interesting. AG contests however weren't that great until Battle Frontier and I didn't really like Masato. He wasn't necessary.

I haven't watched most of AG so I can't comment much. I'm neutral towards Masato. I hate him because he and Shuu replaced Mitsuru. But Masato got some Heartwarming Moments of Awesome.
Hikari is/was great. A mostly good, developed team and a creative attitude towards contests. Some of her rivals are a bit naff but a particular one makes up for it.
I agree. Hikari developed much more than any other female character. I kinda hate how her Pokémon don't get much evolutions or moves but meh. Her team's personality makes up for it. Yes. Naoshi was indeed awesome.
There is no legitimate replacement for Brock, so he should stay. I guess because the writers have been trying so hard to make Dawn and Ash as equals, they havent focused enough on brock because of that.
At least he got better treatment than in AG. He got a connection with a Legendary in this saga! Much better than getting a Starter in my opinion.

Last edited:
Not as a main character. I would like another small appearance but no not as a main character again please.
Now everyones entitled to their own opinion but if the writers focus more on her goal and bring her back, then she could really be an awesome characters. Porbably not going to happen though. Just because the writers didnt do her character justice in the past, doesnt mean they cant correct it now.

Last edited:
My first thought is that I really want Misty back, but as she doesn't do pokemon contests i think that is very unlikely. Maybe she would start with this Pokeathlon thing, dont know much about it since i haven't played HGSS but if so I think there's a possibility she would come back.

Your not the only one,i encountered many people who speculated how she could promote pokethlon from HGSS considering she appears in games again,and seeing how she is sport oriented person this kind of competition would suit her.

Another option would be as i said doing anime only thing like chain of water organized competitions with purpose of advancing her goal.

In any case its a shame that such a fun character like she is being reduced to very rare and small appearances after every 6 or more years.She deserves more than that,infact return to cast,due to lot of unfinished things..

I do hope that Dawn stays

Thats another option.It would be better keeping her than bringing new girl doing her job.
Having third girl in a row doing contests would be like watching rerun,no thanks.

Now everyones entitled to their own opinion but if the writers focus more on her goal and bring her back, then she could really be an awesome characters. Porbably not going to happen though.

Well she was already awesome character,still is though writers really didnt focused enough on her.

Why im getting feeling that this thread will turn out in usual fest of flamewar and bashing?

Last edited:

I don't know about you but I feel that Brock has been getting some developpement throughout Sinnoh when it comes to his goal, at least recently... but since his goal isn't super flashy, the developpement is minor. For example, in the recent Metagross v Magnezone episode. Brock is examining fallen pokemon in the beginning, giving berries to trainers. There's often some little developpement like that... so the uselessness of Brock is hugely exagerated in my opinion.

That being said, I don't think Brock not getting focus you can blame the path the writers have taken to make Ash and Dawn equals. They didn't make Ash and May equals and they certainly didn't make Ash and Misty equals, and Brock wasn't getting more focus. In fact, he was getting less.

Hikari > other girls. Hikari will probably leave. Don't want her to leave.

I agree with you on this point. Every main character has good points and bad points (except Max, there's no redeeming him), but Dawn is the main character that besides Ash has gotten the most focus and the most developpement and even if you discount contest battles, she's been in more battles than any other main character besides Ash. Her pokemon have been given a lot of focus and personality and Dawn herself has been given a lot more importance in the overall storyline of the show than any of Ash's previous travelling companion. I see way more reasons for her to stay than any previous characters.

This my opinion, but when Misty, Tracy, May and Max left, I felt like their time on the show was done and that it was their time to go. With Dawn, I feel there's been too much developpement on her and still too much left to do with that character to thrown her away.

Dawn staying would be a much better thing and give some more possibilities to develop and mature her personality. I'm kinda sure this won't be happening and we're having yet another departure but I still can hope the writers would shake up the show's structure. And the Gen V girl could still join the group but do something different to give the show some effing variety. Plus it would be interesting to see a group of four again after once again getting familiar with the traditional trio of two guys and a gal in Sinnoh.

This my opinion, but when Misty, Tracy, May and Max left, I felt like their time on the show was done and that it was their time to go.

I would agree with you on that,except in Mistys case.She obviously wasnt developed enough with many things being left unfinished to do with her,like her goal of water master,not knowing much bout her past/backstory(like parents),having lot of room left for further developmnt.

Writers just didnt knew how to handle some things properly back than,oh well.If i were to ask i would do thing which would make both sides happy,keeping Dawn and bringing redhead.p:

With Dawn, I feel there's been too much developpement on her and still too much left to do with that character to thrown her away.

Agreed,she received most development out of all girls and its always left room for further progress.For example Ash being on show for more than 12 years still not being developed enough,is good indicator.

Having third girl in a row doing contests would be like watching rerun,no thanks.

Not necessarily - Dawn's character and story turned out very different than May's... they can still make a good character/story even if they replace Dawn with a third girly girl Coordinator... but I'd prefer Dawn to stay as I explained before

It doesn't really matter to me if Dawn stays or not, but they really need to do something to fix the current group dynamics.

The DP trio was incredibly stale throughout this entire saga. Whereas previous groups felt like a traveling group of friends, Dawn's interactions among Brock felt forced/artificial. It's like Brock knows the pattern for main girls so he didn't even bother to get close to Dawn.

It also didn't help matters that originally, Dawn had the worst reasons to travel with Ash/Brock. She basically just sticks to them after Sandgem town, um, why? In her first episode she was perfectly ready and capable to travel by herself.

I feel like the writers should introduce the next girl and give her legitimate reasons to travel among the main cast, a fresh goal that isn't Contests, and please no boring friendly rivals this time. I'd like to think Ursula was brought back because the writers were aware how people viewed Zoey/Kenny.

As if Brock had any more interesting relationship with May... and seriously, you don't need a special reason to want to travel with friends =\

As if Brock had any more interesting relationship with May... and seriously, you don't need a special reason to want to travel with friends =\

It's more or less their interactions with each other. Where as May and Ash had a mentor/student thing, then when that got dropped she was just a girl version of him which was boring. And Dawn and Ash are friends and support each other.

Brock and May's interactions were horrible, Max wasn't any better to anyone but May (I liked him but he really didn't contribute to anything like Tracey), and Dawn and Brock's interactions aren't any better.

It seems like after Johto, he was the main link that stopped the twerps from feeling like an actual group of friends who like to travel, instead of individuals who are in it for themselves, which is what they felt like in AG and feel like now in DP. Not to turn this into a Brock topic, but I really hope they fix that next Gen with Brock and Dawn/NewGirl and make them actually interact to see like actual friends.

It doesn't really matter to me if Dawn stays or not, but they really need to do something to fix the current group dynamics.

The DP trio was incredibly stale throughout this entire saga. Whereas previous groups felt like a traveling group of friends, Dawn's interactions among Brock felt forced/artificial. It's like Brock knows the pattern for main girls so he didn't even bother to get close to Dawn.

While I do agree that the relationship between Brock and Dawn hasn't been strong, the interactions between the DP trio haven't been stale, especially when you consider that the relationship between Ash and Dawn has been more developped than with any member of the main cast. Ash and Dawn influence each other, support each other, train with each other, depend on one another. They feel much like equals and have a sort of brother-sister relationship.

It also didn't help matters that originally, Dawn had the worst reasons to travel with Ash/Brock. She basically just sticks to them after Sandgem town, um, why? In her first episode she was perfectly ready and capable to travel by herself.

It was better than I'll travel with you until you repay for my bike while putting my dream of being a water pokemon master on hold... Have you ever travelled alone ? I did, not as much fun as when travel in a group.

I feel like the writers should introduce the next girl and give her legitimate reasons to travel among the main cast, a fresh goal that isn't Contests, and please no boring friendly rivals this time. I'd like to think Ursula was brought back because the writers were aware how people viewed Zoey/Kenny

More legitimate than "I don't feel like travelling alone and we'll visit much of the same places anyway" ? Also, what's with the contest hate ? Wallace Cup, Akatsuki contest, Jubilife Contests, Chocovine contest, interesting rivals like Ursula and Lila... I really haven't been bored to tears by it... The writing for the contest arc has been getting drastically better and it's a different king of way to use pokemon and overall an interesting quest. I'd like to see them come back.

That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to a third minor quest on top of gyms and contests...

Last edited:

Personally I didn't think having a second girl in a row doing contests was any better. In any case, there's already a lot of repetition in Pokemon already, so I don't see how having a third coordinator crosses the line. (Not that I want that to happen.)

Scott85 said:

I know, right? In my opinion having her join up with Ash and Brock was so forced.

Gible said:
It was better than I'll travel with you until you repay for my bike while putting my dream of being a water pokemon master on hold...

That's your opinion though. Also, Misty didn't put her Water Pokemon Master dream on hold when she joined up with Ash.

Have you ever travelled alone ? I did, not as much fun as when travel in a group.

Certain people are fine with traveling alone while others aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom