• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

White/Black = Terrible Names?

Wow i cant believe im getting this many replies to my first post.
I just registered today. Keep em' comin'

I think the names are fine. They're classic, yet classy. True opposites. There's a lot of potential in that.

At first when I saw them, I was a twinge bit disappointed and kind of like 'well, so much for creativity'.

But they really grew on me as soon as I remembered the whole 'innovative rebirth' thing supposedly going on this time. So going back to their roots is nice.

And those logos are fucking awesome. Do you know what kinds of connotations Black/White can have? Yin&Yang, morality/alignment system, Light-type...there are so many epic possibilities. Now I love these names.

Quite frankly, anyone who is offended about Black/White due to race can simply ignore the game and not buy it. Changing the names just because they're offended by it is stupid and closed-minded, especially if the theme itself has nothing to do with race AT ALL.

Those are not terrible names. But sure, my reaction was "WTF?" when I heard about it. But because they're plain simple, unlike those fancy names like HeartGold, Platinum, LeafGreen, etc, from the last generations. Nothing against them.

I liked "Black and White Versions". Isn't it nostalgic, to get games named after colors, like back in Gen I?

Did anyone else see the Halo: Reach Chess announcement on April fool's day? "Combat Refined"? This reminds me of that.

It's a whole lot better than opal and amethyst. And to the people suggesting nintendo should alter the names when it gets localized here, don't be freaking ridiculous. They will not change the names just because a group of people will interpret it wrong and be offended.

I don't understand where this idea of the names being offensive is coming from.
Back in second grade I used black crayons. Years later I'm playing a game called Black. Oh lord.
not too mention there's a white version also.

My only problem with the name is that it's a bit confusing as Black and White are used often for other things suck as television, photography and many other things I can't mention right now.

Now unless I use the prefix Pokemon, no one will know what I'm talking about when I talk about "black and white".

... Yeah I'm ignoring all of this pointless complaining.

This is great cause now ill all of my Favorite colors in Pokemon games:

Red, Silver and now Black XD man i cant wait :D

Seriously? Black and White? They could have thought of something better.
YES YES YES, They are indeed very terrible names by a very LOOOONG shot.
If it relates to the main plot line maybe ill reconsider but if not, ill wet my pants laughing at the matter. XDXDXD

You can tell the people who have been in the franchise forever and the people who are new to it very easily from these comments. No one who liked Red, Blue, Green, or Yellow would be bashing Black and White.

YES YES YES, They are indeed very terrible names by a very LOOOONG shot.
If it relates to the main plot line maybe ill reconsider but if not, ill wet my pants laughing at the matter. XDXDXD
Please refrain from standing next to me when that occurs.

I think these names could be the most "memorable", since they're kinda out there compared to the other versions. Just the plain "white" and "black" names and colors makes it seem pretty special to me. Dunno why, but yeah...

And oddly enough, these names remind me of the 503 skin for this forum. Maybe the 503's were trying to tell us something, trying to tell us of the impending games that would be later called White and Black?:p 503 HAS HIDDEN MEANINGS, PEOPLE!!

i like Black and white alot better than Diomond and Peral, and even Ruby and Sapphire, it's a throwback to the days of simplicity, of 151 pokemon, but, it's new, new pokemon, and all, and hell, maby the storyline will involve war or something

And oddly enough, these names remind me of the 503 skin for this forum. Maybe the 503's were trying to tell us something, trying to tell us of the impending games that would be later called White and Black?:p 503 HAS HIDDEN MEANINGS, PEOPLE!!
It's amazing how things work out.

Why worry about the names? I'd be worrying more about what's in the darn games. The names are at least elegant and clean, and actually follow some sense of logic on face value.
Compare with "Diamond", "Pearl", and "Platinum", which hold no real meaning to each other and whose only relations are that they are referenced in the legendaries contained within them.

I like it. :) I'm guessing the games will be about light and darkness... third version = gray? Uhhh...

I feel the names are rather uncreative. Ok, so it might be a throw back to the older name styles, I get that. But what makes Black and White "classy, cool, and hip"? It's 2 colors, geez.

I'm buying the Black version. xD

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom