• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

White/Black = Terrible Names?

And why not the other way around, if I may ask?

The color white seems to be associated alot with being feminine. Heck, Cynthia's Japanese name basically translates to the color "white". But that could be more because she's considered a "pure" character as opposed to somebody like Cyrus, and not because she's female.:-/

I don't think they're that bad..... But still, they could be better.

Seriously? Black and White? They could have thought of something better.

The only thing I see wrong with the names are that we'll be expecting some racist jokes from the immature Pokémon fans, like the ones you might find on YouTube. Other than that the names are fantastic.

Makes me think of the yin-yang symbol and about how everything in Platinum had been leaning toward Shinto beliefs, where everything has a spirit, and about reincarnation.

I just feel like they're gonna expand on that thing about how humans and pokemon used to be one and the same, and yet could also become each other, fall in love and marry, and build families. And then we have Zoroark who can take on the likeness of a human.

I think that Pokemon BW's "revolution" is going to reveal something about that part of the Pokemon world's ancient past, and perhaps explain better the legends of the Dragons, Regis, and Unown...

(Side thought... a number of Unown show up in the Sinjoh ruins right at the start of the Arceus creation event, as though they had some relation to Arceus and his powers. There is an old Chinese legend about a dragon that taught the art of writing to an Emperor. Did perhaps Arceus or one of the other Dragons create the Unown so that humans could learn to write and use written language?)

I'm sorry, but did I miss a memo that said "simple = uncreative"?

I have a feeling that in the future this announcement will be looked back on as a prime example of how The Fanbase Is Unpleasable.

I think "Black and White" are pretty cool. It remembers me the music. hahahaha.
No, no, seriously. It's better than i expected :3. and the logo is so stylish.

As far as I can tell, the names haven't actually been officially announced in English yet, have they? So what if the English versions are going to be Darkness and Light or something similar? I'm not suggesting they'll change them to be politically correct, I'm just saying that there's certain risks in translating from one language to another. It's quite possible that what seems to be "Black" to us, may have an entirely different connotation, and that could show in the translation. Hell, it could become something even wilder than "Darkness". I don't know what Japanese people associate with the color black so I wouldn't know.

...not that I want them to be changed. Black & White = sexy

and the logo is so stylish.
Only problem with them is, without the backgrounds or ability to read Japanese....which is which? The "Pokémon Black" logo is mainly WHITE, and vice versa. Still, awesome logos.

I think these names are good. Basic and simplistic. Plus more creative than 90% of the crap this fandom pulled out of their ass.

Personally, I think these are much better than anything else that could have been used. Back to basics is never a bad thing. God knows what we would have had if the designers tried to go above something higher than DPPt :p

I'm not suggesting they'll change them to be politically correct, I'm just saying that there's certain risks in translating from one language to another. It's quite possible that what seems to be "Black" to us, may have an entirely different connotation, and that could show in the translation.

That the Japanese titles are "Burakku" and "Howaito" - the English words transliterated directly into Japanese. There's no possibility of error in the translation, since there's technically no translation actually happening.

That the Japanese titles are "Burakku" and "Howaito" - the English words transliterated directly into Japanese. There's no possibility of error in the translation, since there's technically no translation actually happening.

And those words don't have any other possible meanings at all except the colors black and white? Languages do have those strange little nuances.

I agree. I don't like the names. Why?

1) Look back at Junichi Masuda's blog around the release of FRLG. He said LeafGreen didn't become WaterBlue because, among other reasons, GameFreak didn't want two colours that opposed each other, symbolising conflict, as the world was in a pretty war-torn state back then. So now, they've chosen the two most prominent polar opposites.

It's called yin and yang. They don't clash, they keep the world in balance.

(Side thought... a number of Unown show up in the Sinjoh ruins right at the start of the Arceus creation event, as though they had some relation to Arceus and his powers. There is an old Chinese legend about a dragon that taught the art of writing to an Emperor. Did perhaps Arceus or one of the other Dragons create the Unown so that humans could learn to write and use written language?)

This is THE most interesting theory that I have seen in this entire thread. I actually remember some game dialouge that hinted towards that theory too... I wanna say it was in either Crystal or LeafGreen, but I can't swear to it. Alls I remember is that it was an NPC archeologist suggesting that the Unown possibly taught humans the alphabet.

I'm sorry, but did I miss a memo that said "simple = uncreative"?

I have a feeling that in the future this announcement will be looked back on as a prime example of how The Fanbase Is Unpleasable.

This. 6 years from now, if Pokemon actually lasts that long, I can still see it happening.

On the Yin and Yang subject.... I thought the belief behind all that was mainly Chinese culture, not Japanese?

And those words don't have any other possible meanings at all except the colors black and white? Languages do have those strange little nuances.

No, they don't, because they're English words, just like Daiyamondo and Paaru and Purachina had no alternate meanings. It's pretty easy.

It's easy to figure-American versions will change the names. People take them that way.

This is THE most interesting theory that I have seen in this entire thread. I actually remember some game dialouge that hinted towards that theory too... I wanna say it was in either Crystal or LeafGreen, but I can't swear to it. Alls I remember is that it was an NPC archeologist suggesting that the Unown possibly taught humans the alphabet.

This. 6 years from now, if Pokemon actually lasts that long, I can still see it happening.

On the Yin and Yang subject.... I thought the belief behind all that was mainly Chinese culture, not Japanese?

;o;
BLASPHEMY!
Pokemon will exist FOREVER. Maybe.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom