• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

Re: Clever Pokemon nicknames

My brother had a Graveler named Rockalot. Mine was called Stoni

I have been cleverer though, albiet a bit convoluted. Off the top of my head there's Cassie, my Starmie, from the constellation Cassiopeia. Oh, and Arthur the Crawdaunt, since as a lobster he is therefore an arthropod

Tullio

cool nicknames but i dont give my pokemon names i just like to keep them original XD

Hera, the female Heracross. It was fun when she OHKO Arceus.

"Barack Abomasnow" would be perfect if all of the letters fit.

"Mr. Rape", "Rapist", or "Mr. Pedo" usually work well for Mr. Mime.

Oh, and Hellacross. Because he's hella cross.

And Incubatres, my Lady Magmar. It's read "Incubatress", but, ya know, limits.

Last edited:

My names are not particularly clever. This go around, Mareep was Mary and I stole the name Amphy from Jasmine once she evolved.

My Shellgon is Sheldon.

The only Pokemon I regularly nickname is my main dragon, who goes from Dratina -> Dragoness -> Δραγονιτη (spelled Dragonite because of a lack of Greek characters, but pronounced "drah-gon-ee-teh" [extended eh sound])

Have you ever been really thrilled when you come up with the perfect name for your Pokemon? Here's a few I'm particularly pleased with...

Felicity (female Mareep/Flaafy/Ampharos)
A girl's name which also sounds like a cross between "fleece" and "electricity".

Aquattack
Combination of "aqua" and "attack". Would probably suit just about any Water-type; I used it for my Azumarill!

Ninsect (Nincada/Ninjask/Shedinja)
Combination of "ninja" and "insect".

Post all your favourite Pokemon nicknames here!

Ninsect would also work well for Scyther

I named my Mamoswine Eski-Bir
It's Turkish for Ancient One and It sorta looks like eskimo

And my Jynx Dona de Gel
Catalan for Ice Woman

Re: Pokemon Nicknames! What have you named your team and what meanings do the names h

To be honest my nicknames are mostly just the Spanish or Korean names for that species of pokemon (or an edited version of it), sometimes a word I think suits them (again in other languages).

As such, my current HG team..
Gardevoir - Etoile ("star" in French?)
Typhlosion - Brasa (Spanish word for Ember)
Mamoswine - Kkuri (shortened bit of Korean name, I think)
Dragonair - Sinnyong (Korean name for one of the evolutionary line)
Ampharos - Michi (thought that up on the spot)
Togepi - Tortilla (couldn't resist, one of my favourite foods ='D)

I have nicknames for 100% of my Pokemon, but here are some of my favorites:

Lilucius: My shiny Ampharos. I hatched him from an egg on Diamond out of sheer luck (my first shiny, also). His nickname comes from a mixture of Lilac, which is what color he is, and Lucius which means "Light" in Latin, because of his Pokedex entry.

Noxsus: My Grumpig. It means literally "Dark Swine" in Latin. I know he's not really a dark type, but his color scheme makes me think of night, which make me think of dreams, which makes me think of Psychic types... And that's especially appropriate for Noxsus since he boasts a Rest/Snore combo.

I also have a Sableye named AMYTHST, which is actually just a super-typo for "Amethyst." I think it's clever for a Sableye since it's a purple gem.

Last edited:

I like giving my Pokemon names based on foriegn words...so some gems:

Estrella the Starly-Estrella (pronounced Ess-treh-ya) is Spanish for "star", which plays on the Starly line

Luce the Ampharos--Luce is Italian for "light", and Ampharos give light...

Re: Pokemon Nicknames! What have you named your team and what meanings do the names h

Blastoise: Galapagos for the Galapagos islands
Typhlosion: Loa-Kea for Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea.
Secptile: Klorofyl for the vital substance that makes trees green and live
Dragonite: Ladon which is a mythological dragon.
Luxray: Faraday a famous electricity pioneer
Glalie: Baltoro a glacier

My Ampharos is called Faraday, after Michael Faraday, who discovered electricity.

I tend to always have at least one Pokemon named Fluffy, and it's always an Eevee -_- Completely unoriginal, but cute :3

my SS Johto team

Katon- Typlosion: decided to dig up something from back from when I was a Narutard, so I thought, what the hell/
Moriarty- Nidoking: After Colin Morarty, one of the few Characters I like in Fallout 3
PipBoy3000- Magneton: another Fallout 3 Reference...
Aqua Man- Quagsire: should of named him Quagmire....
Steeler- Skarmory: I had the Pittsburgh Steelers in mind....
Red Rage- Gyarados: Red with Rage

Kanto team as of now..
Aqua Man
Heather- Female Pigeotto: I wanted to name her Feather, but since she is the only Female I caught so far in the game, I named her Heather.
Enclave- Ditto: another Fallout 3 Reference, don't know why...

Might as well do my Johto Team

While in Johto

Noctowl/Hooty- It's an owl, it hoots. Really was uncreative with that one
Mamoswine/Wooly- It's a wooly mammoth. Was going to call it Manny, but I already have one nicknamed Manny, so Wooly was better
Ampharos/Sheep Man- Been playing Mega Man 10, Sheep Man was the first robot master I fought and defeated.
Octillery/Squidward- Obviously taken from Spongebob SquarePants
Ursaring/BearHugger- Named after one of my favorite boxers from Punch-Out!
Typhlosion/Daxdiv- Keeping up with my tradition of naming the starter after my online nickname.

In Kanto

Staraptor/Jun- Named her after Jun the Swan from Gatchaman. Couldn't think of a good name from a female bird in popular media, so I decided to go with Jun thanks to Tatsunoko vs Capcom.
Electabuzz/Eneru- Named after Eneru from One Piece and since I already named my other Electabuzz, Enel, I thought using his official name this time was ok. Fits the theme that when it becomes an Electivire, that it will be the King of Electric types.
Starmie/Starfy- Named after an obscure Nintendo character Starfy. Fun game btw and fits the star theme
Breloom/Toadsworth- Named after Princess Peach's most trusted adviser in the Mushroom Kingdom. That and to fit the mushroom theme of Breloom.

Manny and Daxdiv stayed on my team when I entered Kanto.

I never nickname my pokemon, i don´t know why. But I do have some pokemon with nicknames:

Typhlosion-Explotaro, taken from Pokemon Special

Purugly-CptnFluffy, i just remebered the name when i saw the pokemon, and besides, it's hilarious

Umbreon-Zuppy, It´s my cats' name

I actually hadn't nicknamed any of my pokemon since the original silver, but then I saw an article on Kotaku about it, which pretty much just shamed me into doing it. Here are some of them.

Don Birdi: My shiny Murkrow/Honchcrow, because he is a legitimate businessman.

∏phlosion: Not really. It's Piphlosion, but a boy can dream.

Katrini: My Dragonite, from when she was a Dratini. I named her this because I am a horrible person.

Sheeple: My Ampharos, because you're all a bunch of phonies.

JudySebben: My female Pidgeot. I won't explain it, but the people who get it should really appreciate it.

Lion-OU: Raikou. Cause he's a mutherfuckin' Thundercat.

Hyneman: Entei, because LOOK AT HIM.

AdamSavage: Suicune, because they come as a set.

A'Tuin: My Torterra, after the turtle from Discworld.

Oy: A random Zigzagoon, from the Dark Tower books.

Adm Ackbar: The Red Gyarados, because someone, somewhere in this forum, issued a challenge to name a pokemon this and take them to the end of Victory Road where they'd be worried about the trap.

Tycho: My PC.

Gabe: The rival.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom