• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP187: Intense Fighting Full Battle! Satoshi VS Shinji!!

Just be glad that aren't doing what old fights did where one Pokemon would come out, knock out the opponent's Pokemon, then the new opponent's Pokemon would knock out Ash's, and back and forth like some kind of pattern.

That's sorta what I think'll happen in the Darkrai match...

No, the Darkrai match is going to be a sweep. As in, Darkrai vs. 5-6 other Pokemon.

The other method I was refering to is the one that follows this pattern:

Ash scores a K.O.
His opponent scores a K.O.
Ash scores a K.O.
His opponent scores a K.O.
Ash scores a K.O. Ash wins.

Where they never change their Pokemon. Sometimes it might get switched up, but that's usually when you've got a "star" Pokemon on Ash's side that needs to hog the last part.

That's sorta what I think'll happen in the Darkrai match...

It better not be. Most league matches from Kanto to Hoeen followed that pattern, its gotten really stale and unexciting. The new matches seem to be more realistic and epic.

I'm surprised no one has complained about Torterra yet...

Quite an enjoyable episode. Torterra getting shafted was unfortunate, but w/e. Pikachu was nice I guess, and seeing Infernape smirk when it figured out the timing with Ninjask speed was cool. I'm really curious as the what Paul, and Ash were saying to each other after Torterra fainted. He knew Gliscor was coming out obviously, but they both seemed strangely happy.

Its called Comashipping FYI Ash and Paul some times just smile cuz they like each otherXD

I doubt it was comashipping. I think it was something about Gliscor, I heard its name plus the japanese names for Stone edge and Giga Impact mentioned.

Does this mean we can now rate Torterra on the same level as Misty's Goldeen?

Neither have won a battle

Goldeen beat James' Victreebel.

All I wanna say is.. poor Torterra. I was hoping he would at least get one win. :( With Torkoal and now Torterra, it seems like the people behind the anime have a thing for turtles not named Squirtle.

Awesome ep, this battle is one of the best battles ever in the whole show!
I'm a little disappointed some Poké won't get a win here but oh well... can't do anything so I'll just watch and enjoy
I thought it was very stupid of Ash not to return Torterra after it used Synthesis... also, it was pretty stupid to send Poké that touch the ground after Ash saw its effects... he could try Gliscor at first since it wouldn't touch the ground and won't be affected
But still, this was really an awesome battle, can't wait for next ep and then the Takuto battle and DP final... oh, and I'm surprised Goodshow still didn't say any word XD

Goodshow hasn't spoke the entire tournament, I guess they don't want to pay his VA for a few lines.

I surprisingly, unlike others, didn't have any gripes about the battle at all.

The pacing and strategy from both trainers is incredible, and the animation just makes it all the better.

Best fucking battle in the show ever, move over Orange League Championship

Goodshow hasn't spoke the entire tournament, I guess they don't want to pay his VA for a few lines.

Again with this? I already told you it's ridiculous to think that's the reason for characters not appearing or appearing in a non-speaking role
They could easily call his VA for a few lines or just let anyone else who was there anyway do it... either he'll have a little talk at the very end of the League, or they just thought he's not really important anymore and the only reason we even see him is because he's supposed to be there in every League

Oh please, they don't have to show Goodshow at all.

It's like Contesta not appearing in a Contest XD
Goodshow became a part of the Pokémon world - just like you expest Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny to appear everywhere, and the Contests judges to appear in every Contest...
Also, Scott, you're really annoying with VMs XD I replied to your last one, go reply now...

Didn't get to mention this earlier, but Pikachu up against Froslass was some really good stuff. OK, I'm probably a wee bit bias given the cold hearted gal is one of my favourite 'mons, but even ignoring that, it was still a well executed brawl. The hail-storm really played up Froslass' ghostly nature, and it fading in and out of sight and...forgive me....shocking Pikachu every so often was handled very nicely.
It's also rare to get battles that take advantage of such strategies as using the weather to one's advantage, both to hinder the opponent and reap the benefits of a suitable ability. Along with Drapion poisoning the team and Ninjask becoming increasingly speedier, that's something that I greatly appreciated. This is like the Houen league with Katie all over again, but a lot more gripping with a lot more on the line.

Shame the hail had to end though. Cutting off the sunlight and having the stadium lights activate through the fog really set the atmosphere, huh? Did you see that one mugshot of a determined lookin' Ketchum? It was kind of jarring to see it all suddenly dissapear and cut back to some clear skies with a few puffy clouds dotted around.

I liked the Froslass/Pikachu fight too. For some reason that's overlooked a lot here.

I guess people just don't care for Pikachu anymore.

Ok the battle is still epic but I certainly think that Torterra should have played a larger role. I'm okay with it being a fall guy but it should have been more like Staraptor and gone up against more of his pokemon before being knocked out.

Didn't get to mention this earlier, but Pikachu up against Froslass was some really good stuff. OK, I'm probably a wee bit bias given the cold hearted gal is one of my favourite 'mons, but even ignoring that, it was still a well executed brawl. The hail-storm really played up Froslass' ghostly nature, and it fading in and out of sight and...forgive me....shocking Pikachu every so often was handled very nicely.
It's also rare to get battles that take advantage of such strategies as using the weather to one's advantage, both to hinder the opponent and reap the benefits of a suitable ability. Along with Drapion poisoning the team and Ninjask becoming increasingly speedier, that's something that I greatly appreciated. This is like the Houen league with Katie all over again, but a lot more gripping with a lot more on the line.

Shame the hail had to end though. Cutting off the sunlight and having the stadium lights activate through the fog really set the atmosphere, huh? Did you see that one mugshot of a determined lookin' Ketchum? It was kind of jarring to see it all suddenly dissapear and cut back to some clear skies with a few puffy clouds dotted around.

I love this match too. I agree with you about the type of atmosphere and the usage of the weather in Froslass vs. Pikachu. It was so awesome and makes me glad that Paul used new pokemon in this match.

Agree.Completly.Frosslass vs Pikachu will go down as one of the best parts of the battle.I adored how it made frosslass really look like a Yuki-onna.It was amazing.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom