• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP189: Shin'ō League Semi-Finals! Enter Darkrai!!

I've come to the realization that just like how Paul represents the honest competetive players that appreciate a fair fight in real life, Takuto symbolizes the players who use cheat devices and hacking to play the game. Isshu solved.

Im starting to think that the recent Hoenn references in both Anime AND Game are a sign that there WILL be a Hoenn remake for sure.

You know what was the most shocking thing in this whole episode?
The fact that Dawn didn't scan sceptile. O_O

I kind of wish that most of Ash's team wasn't Hoenn Pokemon. They should have mixed it up a little I think. Anyway, so Takuto used more than one Legend. That should so be cheating but it's pretty awesome anyway.

I knew that Ash would be able to take down Darkrai, but Latios was totally unexpected. Still, this was a great episode in that Ash did take down two legendaries, though he still got the match loss. I thought it would take five to bring down Darkrai, but Sceptile came through! Pikachu also proved amazing by at least tying with Latios. At least Takuto didn't snub Ash for losing. Still, I wonder how he even got into the tournament with those Pokémon. What else could he have had in store? A Zapdos? Deoxys?

Wow this was in incredible battle (especially since the battle only lasted one episode). The writers really couldn't have done much more given the release date of B&w. I applaud them for a pretty good ending episode for the league.

I would like Takuto to return in the new series and be another rival for Ash (or for Ash to at least face him in the Isshu League). He could be the somewhat friendly rival.

Of course I was sad to not see the Johto starters (especially Bayleef since it is my favorite) but ya gotta be optimistic. Sceptile winning against Darkrai was definitely fair in my opinion since it was portrayed as one of Ash's best. And Pikachu tying with Latios wasn't really that far out either since he has been with Ash since the beginning.

Overall a really refreshing way to end the league. It seemed more realistic in a way.

Well, after seeing the episode itself, it was interesting. Not a big fan on how everyone went down with one hit, but then again it was a freakin' Darkrai that was laying the smackdown, so I just accepted it. Though Ash did better than I expected. I honestly thought that he would only KO the Darkrai, and we wouldn't even see the other 5 Pokémon Takuto's has. Basically I was expecting Pikachu and Darkrai to KO each other. Still, pretty interesting to see someone use Legendary Pokémon in the anime that isn't under someone free will, though my opinion of Takuto being a cheap legendary user doesn't change. I find it funny that his Pokémon were in Pokéballs, I wonder if he got the Chuggaaconroy magic with catching a legendary with them? :p

Wait. Isn't BW airing the 23rd? That's plenty of time isn't it? What made them decide to end it so quick?Not as if there isn't time in September to air one more DP episode before BW.

Wait. Isn't BW airing the 23rd? That's plenty of time isn't it? What made them decide to end it so quick?Not as if there isn't time in September to air one more DP episode before BW.

There's an orientation episode for BW on the 16th I believe, so that's why the league is ending with this episode and our last two are the next ones.

Well, after seeing the episode itself, it was interesting. Not a big fan on how everyone went down with one hit, but then again it was a freakin' Darkrai that was laying the smackdown, so I just accepted it. Though Ash did better than I expected. I honestly thought that he would only KO the Darkrai, and we wouldn't even see the other 5 Pokémon Takuto's has. Basically I was expecting Pikachu and Darkrai to KO each other. Still, pretty interesting to see someone use Legendary Pokémon in the anime that isn't under someone free will, though my opinion of Takuto being a cheap legendary user doesn't change. I find it funny that his Pokémon were in Pokéballs, I wonder if he got the Chuggaaconroy magic with catching a legendary with them? :p
ZOMG CHUGGA!!!!

What if Takuto had an Epic HM Slave(Suicune) as well? Cheap but funny if he was all "Go Epic HM Slave!" Which was the one Chugga caught in a regular pokeball again?

There's an orientation episode for BW on the 16th I believe, so that's why the league is ending with this episode and our last two are the next ones.

Hmm... An orientation episode? Lol, that's weird. So what, they're gonna be like "This is the opening theme we will use for this series!, etc." and introduce the characters to us and stuff? Wow, talk about pulling out all the stops.

Hmm... An orientation episode? Lol, that's weird. So what, they're gonna be like "This is the opening theme we will use for this series!, etc." and introduce the characters to us and stuff? Wow, talk about pulling out all the stops.

I think it's like introducing the games and anime for BW. It makes sense, it's 2 days before BW comes out I think and a week before the anime. I'm at least interested in it because it might reveal more scenes like we got today.

So I don't mind if the Sinnoh league ended with this episode. I thought we got an appropriate ending at least.

I'm fine with the ending of DP, DP's as of now is my favorite saga yet. I just wanted to know the deal with that one episode we could've gotten. But the orientation sounds interesting.

I think what is really going on (and I'm surprised no one has thought about this yet) is that the writers realized that they made a mistake by trying to make a series with essentially TWO main characters. It just doesn't work out too well, with Dawn getting a better coverage of her contests finals (basically cutting in between Ash's gym badge journey), it took a chunk out of the episodes that could have been spent on making the shinoh league more fleshed out.

The result we have is the suffering of seeing less of Ash's Pokemon in the league and an entertaining but rushed final battle with a random super trainer (though I thought Takuto was a fucking awesome character artistically-design wise).

Honestly, I figured this was the case with the Swellow versus Latios battle. It was set up to look like it was going to be a show down (swellow screaming at latios "bring it on!"), but Swellow was taken out shit quick to the point of making the writers to be complete morons to think veteran watchers would not call bullshit especially on the set-up for that failed swallow cut... THAT was shit. And I'm not a big fan of swellow and knew he was screwed over.

But now I guess the writers got it. "No more bullshitting, we have to start this next season right." Notice how in Best Wishes they are using a formula based on the first seasons of Pokemon, it will be more fast paced, the characters who journey with Ash seem to BOTH be supporting characters, and from the previews it seems Ash is trying to catch everything he freaking can when he sees it even before using his pokedex (assuming he has a new or updated one). I have a feeling they are going back to the - Ash catches all 3 starters again as well. I got the impression that they learned their lesson about giving the starters to each of the three. That didn't work too well in Hoenn.

Curb Stomp Battle. It just has yet to be classified as one by them.

It really was. Out of the 8 Gym Leaders and six trainers in the tournament, only Ash could beat Darkrai. That required an Ex Machina move (Sceptile immediately waking up and KOing Darkrai with one shot). And it he lost three of his Pokémon. The other three were lost taking out Latios, and that required another Ex Machina move (Pika's VT and IT, plus Luster Purge). Goodness knows what else Takuto may have. (I wanted Zoroark!)

Even worse is that the final battle was another Darkrai-only win. I want another episode where Cynthia beats his ass, or if it's to be a close match, let her win anyway.

And with that, The sixth chapter of Pokémon closes. Ash is a bit stronger, making it to the final four. But some of the trainers in the DP series (Cynthia, Takuto, Palmer, Roark at the start) made Ash look pitifully weak by comparison.

Even though Satoshi pretty much got flattened and I found myself biting my lip throughout the entire battle, I still enjoyed the premise - that of course he's gotten MUCH stronger (taking down two legendaries? hell fucking yeah) and he still managed to dismantle a deus ex machine (twice!), he still has a long way to go to become a master.

Aaaanddd we shall see how he does in besto wisshu.

What bothers me is that Ash didn't want to use his old pokemon against Roark as he wanted to win with his current team. Did that mean nothing? Whats the point of building a team if you're going to use it as the final test but instead resort to using tried and tested mons. Its not that I have a huge problem with it seeing as we saw SCEPTILE again but still... The Sinnoh Team needed more focus.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom