• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP189: Shin'ō League Semi-Finals! Enter Darkrai!!

I'm a little upset that we didn't see Totodile but Sceptile and Pikachu were pretty epic so I'm cool with that. I wouldn't be to amazed by Sceptile's win though I mean Heracross,Gible and Torkoal all battled against Darkrai before although they didn't do that well. I wish Swellow would have done some damage to Latios so Pikachu could maybe knock it out so we could see what other pokemon Takuto had. Takuto didn't mention anything about Isshu did he?

They should have revealed Takuto is just an illusion created by Darkrai to crush the dreams of honest trainers so he can feed on their nightmares.
We get it. You're outraged. :sweat:

Considering there are no rules against using legendaries, the insults about him being "cheap" are unfounded.

Once again, Takuto says NOTHING about Isshu. All he says are Darkrai's attacks and praises Ash for forcing him to use Latios and a good battle. He's a Gary Stu in the most ideal sense. Ash learned NOTHING from him. Not even the foreshadowing from Flint and Bertha came in handy here, and they had the PERFECT chance to do it after Heracross fainted.*

*When Heracross fainted, Takuto said "Type advantages will not win Darkrai." The writers could have put in a flashback to Flint telling Ash what he did that one time.

I finished watching the battle, and as far as I'm concerned, Ash's strongest Pokemon were able to defeat the legendaries. Pikachu was still awesome going head on into a Luster Purge with Volt Tackle, fighting through it and defeating Latios.

Why are we blaming Takuto when we know Ash has more powerful Pokemon than he used? Yeah, we all wanted more of his old Pokemon featured but considering how it ended up, Charizard should have just been in there. At the risk of sounding like a Kanto starter lover, that thing on my last count has faced up against an Entei and Arcticuno and won, and unlike Ash's other Pokemon which were just chilling at Oak's lab, Charizard was training.

And hey, defeating two legendaries consecutively is more than any other trainer at the league has done.

so Heracross and Gible hitting Darkrai before hand means squat? Sceptile didn't beat the thing on his own it was a group effort, kudos to it for it being the one to drop the thing but it didn't do it alone.

If they found some contrieved way to put in Charizard instead of Torkoal, we'd get a much better battle. I'd like to see Ash beat at least three Pokemon. I also wouldn't care if Takuto had an entire team of Legendaries, as long as they're ROAMING Legendaries. That's believable to me because he could simply be a Legendary hunter or something, like Euisine.

Hopefully we see Takuto again in Isshu.

If they found some contrieved way to put in Charizard instead of Torkoal, we'd get a much better battle.

I sort of take a little issue at this. Why not just write the part with Cotoise better and have it contribute to Darkrai being taken down like Fukamaru and Heracross did?

I swear Looker was beside Brock cheering on Takuto at the championship battle.

And yeah, it was a group effort to take down Darkrai,though I'd give more of it to Heracross and Sceptile because the former landed a super effective hit and the latter broke free of Dark Void.

Ash has had Pokemon perfectly capable of fighting toe to toe with Legendaries, granted none of them were of the caliber of Dakrai and Latios, but like I said, Charizard's probably been getting stronger since. If the old Pokemon were handled better, then I wouldn't be wishing for Charizard's appearance.

While I'd jump on any chance to not include Fukamaru in something, it did get a super effective in as well with Rock Smash.
I wouldn't put it on the same level as Heracross or Jukain though in terms of strength.

I don't see what everyone is so mad about. Clearly there is no rule prohibiting you to use legendary Pokemon. Ash lost because his Pokemon were weak. Only person who is at fault here is Ash.

Oh by the way
Even if it were to beat Ash, having it be able to have been captured by a trainer would make it seem weaker. Maybe a Lati, I fell like that would be really interesting.
Called it on a Lati, before we saw darkrai and everyone just left it at that.

I guess I'm the only person irked that Takuto gets no quick backstory? That's what I'm getting everytime I see the generic "I don't see what everybody is so mad about" post.

I don't see what everyone is so mad about. Clearly there is no rule prohibiting you to use legendary Pokemon. Ash lost because his Pokemon were weak. Only person who is at fault here is Ash.
Well, considering the team, I may agree to that, but its not that they were weak, its that Takuto's were stronger.

Besides, he knew what he was up against and he went up there with those guys?

Darkrai's being defeated only to have Takuto send another legendary as his second Pokémon was totally expected. By myself, at least. What was totally unexpected was Satoshi sending Oosubame as the mysterious 6th Pokemon only to get KO'd. Oh well.

At least Satoshi was the only one who could beat 2 of Takuto's ubers out of all the Suzuran Conference participants. This shows how much he's grown as a trainer and person. I loved when Jukain went down and he looked so depressed, but was able to pick himself up and send Pikachu to battle Latios.

Speaking about Takuto not having any kind of backstory... I wonder if this means we'll see him later on, because I'd love for Satoshi to face him again and beat his team of legendaries in the Isshu league.

I sort of take a little issue at this. Why not just write the part with Cotoise better and have it contribute to Darkrai being taken down like Fukamaru and Heracross did?
Because Cotoise is destined to suck and lose forever :p

Anyway, ignoring all the bitching and moaning I will say that I enjoyed this battle a lot. We all knew Ash would lose and him taking out Darkrai would've been quite enough for me, but the fact that he was able to bring down another lengendary just made it even better.
Quite happy for Sceptile, as he's a fave of mine and Pikachu vs Latios actually had me nervous. I am pleased :D

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom