• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden Fanfiction Awards - General Discussion

Even though this is something completely different, what happened to the idea of having a blurb thread?

This is what happens when the people who make the rules have fics in the running.

I'm the one who raised to problem and I won (tied for...) a freaking award. Plus, it has been said ad nauseam that the awards were still in their trial run.

So, if you guys are going to do this "win and you are barred" thing

Again, if you read my idea, you'd realize that it isn't "win and you're barred". Again, it'd be quarterly awards that you can only win once a year and that make you elligible for the big yearly awards. At the end of the year, if the fic is still incomplete, then it is elligible for the next year. Therefore, as long as a fic is incomplete, it can still win awards.

Here's what I'm thinking, if fic X wins in the spring, then come summer the fans of fic X can either not vote at all in the awards if they only read that one fic, or actually be forced to look at other fics to find someone else to vote for. That way, it still allows established writers to get reconized by the awards and it also promotes new writers, new fics, etc.

Hence my questionning of the awards' purpose. In my opinion, it could be an instrument to both recognize talent and increase reading, reviewing and writing, helping to bring new people into the Workshop. Hearing you talk, they seem to only be there to stroke your ego. Right now, we're handing out awards to hand out awards more than anything.

Again, I get a little insulted when it's insinuated that people like Gastly's Mama and myself are winning only because we have a number of loyal fans who blindly vote for only our fics.

I'm truly sorry if that's how it came across as it was never the point I was trying to make but to be honest, you're a little naive if you think that only your writing skills are responsible for getting the awards and that everybody who voted for a fic read all the others and posed an objective judgement. Thing is fics that are already established have momentum, it already has a fanbase, the author already has a connection with his/her readers, etc. Even if a new or a lesser known author works his butt off to match or even surpass that level of writing skill, he still won't have the momentum to catch up to the more established writers.

What I proposed allows some lesser known writers to be in the conversation, build up momentum and it allows them to compete on more equal footing for the yearly awards, making the awards more competitive, meaningful and overall interesting.

You could add a "best newcomer" award to be given to an author who has never had a fic in the competition award.

That's also a great idea. It might shine a light on some new fics.

I think we should define some objectives/goals and start anew. We should fix the problems from the root, not apply patches each award season.

This is also what I think. Right now the awards have no real purpose to speak of and we should define the objectives we are pursuing with them. Having a strong sets of objectives should allow us to make the rules and the conduct of the awards clearer.

So if I'm understanding correctly, the seasonal awards will now be essentially an awards to determine "best fics who haven't won before" not necessarily the best fics. Gible talks about "what is the point?" in every post, but if we bar fics that have already won, what is the point of having awards? If you want to showcase the newbs why not just have a feature thread that gives these new fics exposure...giving them awards just to showcase new authors sort of seems shady.

So the big awards at the end of the year or whatever...ONLY seasonal winners would be eligible?

So the big awards at the end of the year or whatever...ONLY seasonal winners would be eligible?

No, all fics would be eligible, including seasonal winners.

I really am liking Gible's idea. You win once, are eligible for the bog awards, then if the fic is still ongoing th next year, you can have a chance to win again in a seasonal cycle.

No, all fics would be eligible, including seasonal winners.

I really am liking Gible's idea. You win once, are eligible for the bog awards, then if the fic is still ongoing th next year, you can have a chance to win again in a seasonal cycle.

I like that idea, too.

Well, it's settled then. If a few people who have personal interest in this like it...

That's why it'd be nice if the mods/people who ultimately come up with the rules didn't have a personal interest in the awards, it would be more fair.

Because obviously, I have a personal interest in not wanting previous winners banned. Obviously, you guys with fics in the running have a personal interest in wanting previous winners banned. It would be great if someone who didn't have anything to gain or lose was in charge. And I know you will dispute this, but it's not that I think you are deliberately trying to sway things to benefit you, the point is... any legit competition is ruled by entities that are not actually part of the competition.

But either way, I guess whatever you guys choose is what will ultimately be done. It's a shame too, this awards thing could have been really great.

Because obviously, I have a personal interest in not wanting previous winners banned. Obviously, you guys with fics in the running have a personal interest in wanting previous winners banned. It would be great if someone who didn't have anything to gain or lose was in charge. And I know you will dispute this, but it's not that I think you are deliberately trying to sway things to benefit you, the point is... any legit competition is ruled by entities that are not actually part of the competition.

But either way, I guess whatever you guys choose is what will ultimately be done. It's a shame too, this awards thing could have been really great.

You're being ridiculous. If you'd actually read what Gible's suggesting, you'd realize that you'd only be restricted from ONE cycle each year. Saying They Changed It Now It Sucks makes you look like a whiny jerk who wants things to stay the same so you can win a bunch of awards every time. Sorry to put it so bluntly, but the fact that you are so steadfastly against any kind of change to how we run the awards gives me that impression.

You're also being two-faced. You say that you've never said that we're changing things so that we can win... but you have. You've said so multiple times.

You're being ridiculous. If you'd actually read what Gible's suggesting, you'd realize that you'd only be restricted from ONE cycle each year. Saying They Changed It Now It Sucks makes you look like a whiny jerk who wants things to stay the same so you can win a bunch of awards every time. Sorry to put it so bluntly, but the fact that you are so steadfastly against any kind of change to how we run the awards gives me that impression.

You're also being two-faced. You say that you've never said that we're changing things so that we can win... but you have. You've said so multiple times.

Whatever guy.

The entire problem I have is nothing to do with the rulings themselves, it's the fact that you are the one spearheading the movement to change everything while you have a fics in the running.

I'd be fine with anything you guys decided if the people who are the most vocal about changing things weren't in the competition themselves. It's like having a political election in which one of the candidates gets to decide who he/she gets to run against.

If you also include a rule that mods' fics are also banned from the competition, I'd be good with anything you come up with.

Whatever guy.
...Okay, what? You're disregarding my arguments because you don't agree with them?

The entire problem I have is nothing to do with the rulings themselves, it's the fact that you are the one spearheading the movement to change everything while you have a fics in the running.
Really? It seems more to me that your problem is that you don't want to ever ever be barred from any awards ever.

I'd be fine with anything you guys decided if the people who are the most vocal about changing things weren't in the competition themselves.
Well, you're never going to find anyone like that here. It's ridiculous to demand an impossibility.

I also removed your political allegory due to the fact that it has no relevance here.

If you also include a rule that mods' fics are also banned from the competition, I'd be good with anything you come up with.
Except that makes no sense. These awards should be based on QUALITY OF MATERIAL, not popularity as it is right now. If we ban mod-written fics, we've shut out a whole slew of fics that are possibly higher-quality than the contemparary "popular" fics.

If mod fics are banned, I may as well as give up the modship or request a transfer- there's no way I won't try to may a comeback since I missed out (with my fics being on hiatus) the last awards :p

Is it standard practice for mods to delete peoples posts just because it makes them look at?

If you mean in this thread, no posts have been deleted on this whole page.

Legacy, I understand your reservations about this new idea, and why you're upset about it. But the fact is, at the end of the year, TPI will be eligible for the most valuable award on Bulbagarden if this goes through. It will also simultaneously help even out some of the attention fics are getting so people will stop complaining about it being a popularity contest. Isn't that what we all want? I really think this will be worth it in the long run, because fresh blood will be pumping through the system and will have a chance to compete with the older, more dominant fics on this site, and will make it at least appear to be more fair, as well as creating a bit more competition within the workshop itself. You yourself have said that you'd rather be recognized for your talent rather than your popularity.

Tl;dr
Imagine winning the "Best of the Best" award instead of just "Best", and for good reason.

From Aladar, Jabberwocky and Legacys comments I guess the main thing is that NO ONE wants to be barred from the competition. It's clear that someone will be disappointed with whatever is decided in the end. I guess it'll be up to the mods to decide who that is.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom