• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

General Pokémon: Black and White Preview Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked up Trip (a few hours ago) saw the meaning is: Signifies "traveler."

Although as some said, Shooty's dub name, Trip might come from tripod.

I knew a guy named Trip in middle school. Everyone always said "Hey, Trip, have a nice fall?" whenever they saw him. Five years later, he took his own life due to the constant bullying over his name...

So it's totally a real name! :)

Well, that's... disturbingly dark.

Trip? Ok. Now all that is left is Don George.

I knew a guy named Trip in middle school. Everyone always said "Hey, Trip, have a nice fall?" whenever they saw him. Five years later, he took his own life due to the constant bullying over his name...

So it's totally a real name! :)

Okay, that just totally depressed me right there.

Really though, I didn't think Trip was a real name. Oh well.

The opening is very hard to shorten and cut in anyway and speeding it up won't look good. So I hope they ask for new animation. Because we all know that the english opening will not be longer than 1 minute. Sometimes they are only 30 seconds which is too short. One minute is perfect. Ultimately, they will use footage from the anime itself. Hopefully, they change the footage regularly.

About the new scenes of the "Johto League Champions" opening - is there a proof that it was 4Kids who asked them to create these scenes? if not, it's totally possible that the Japanese sent them a different opening animation... in Israel we got the Japanese versions of Mermaid Melody and Sailor Moon, yet the opening and ending animation were different than in the original - but they didn't change anything here, they got the eps this way... so I won't be surprised if 4Kids simply got a different version of that opening and never specifically asked to create them...
I think the same might be for the Movie 4 additional scenes (especially since they became part of the movie in Japan too eventually)
So unless these stuff have proof, there's no reason to assume they were a 4Kids decision

Most likely they'll use episode clips for the opening. The Japanese opening is basically one continuous shot. Even if they cut certain things like the Zekrom/Reshiram part then it would still be too long of an opening since TPCi's openings are around 30 seconds long. TI just hope they change the clips around and don't use clips from gym battles that'll be outdated a few episodes in. (Roark's battle from the first DP opening, I'm looking at you.)

Most likely they'll use episode clips for the opening. The Japanese opening is basically one continuous shot. Even if they cut certain things like the Zekrom/Reshiram part then it would still be too long of an opening since TPCi's openings are around 30 seconds long. TI just hope they change the clips around and don't use clips from gym battles that'll be outdated a few episodes in. (Roark's battle from the first DP opening, I'm looking at you.)

That's a good idea. They should change the clips after every gym battle or when a new character's introduced. It's certainly be unique.

Edit: Sooooooo...

When do you think we'll see another preview? I'm eager for more.

Last edited:
Don't know if this has already come up but I doubt I'm going to like Best Wishes mainly because of Team Rocket no longer being comic relief characters that's what made them so great and also how much time has passed since the ending of the DP series to the beginning of the Best Wishes series i don't get how they can become professional (and earn Giovanni's respect) in a few days since that's how long Ash usually stays in Pallet Town.

Just like those who are a III generation of a name will sometimes go by Trey, they can also go by Trip. Didn't you watch Enterprise (oh wait....no one did) :)

The explanation I heard had to do with the fact that the Japanese version has the Japanese names of each Pokemon appear over the Pokemon when they appeared on screen, and it would be too hard to erase the Japanese. But...I dunno how reliable that is, although there's never been a Japanese Opening since then which did that.

No, Ready Go did the same. It's still possible they never made a Mezase 2001 version without the flying names, and after 4Kids told them that footae couldn't be used, they made sure to make a clean version of Ready Go for them to use when time came to work on that.

Isn't one of Sarah Palin's kids named Trip? 'Cause that's what first came to mind. A few minutes later 'tripod' came to mind. Anyway, in my headcanon it'll just be a nickname. But yeah, the jokes that could be made...

Trip?? Should've been Trevor. My goodness, I wanna have what TPCi is taking... :rolleyes:

The first seven movies all failed in at least one aspect. The scripts of 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7 were pretty bad - and they still got rid of all the music in 3. And of course 4 had those bizarre extra scenes.
Well, as a dub fan, I wouldn't say they failed. But maybe I'm not as picky as most fans...

The way I see it, you can never have a PERFECT dub. There are things that 4Kids did, changes they made, that didn't bother me at all.

For example, I thought the movie scripts were fine (especially the Pokemon 2000 script). And I enjoyed every single one of 4Kids' movies.

I also liked the music from Pokemon 3 The Movie, as well as the score from the first two movies. Ralph Shuckett is a good composer, in my opinion. =)

And I thought those extra scenes from Pokemon 4Ever were just fine. I mean, I don't see anything wrong with them giving us additional scenes. It's like getting something extra that the Japanese fans didn't get.

*dodges incoming flames and missles from people who prefer the Japanese version*

Then again, I don't watch the Japanese version at all, so I honestly don't compare the 4Kids dub to anything when I watch it. I just watch the show/movies and enjoy them. XD

He still does openings for 4Kids shows, doesn't he? And it's not like he has to be in NY to sing one 30-second intro song... it's not like recording dialogue for weekly episodes.
Actually, I have no clue what he does now. I don't really keep up with the current 4Kids shows, to be honest. ^^;

Last edited:
And I thought those extra scenes from Pokemon 4Ever were just fine. I mean, I don't see anything wrong with them giving us additional scenes. It's like getting something extra that the Japanese fans didn't get.

But it was in the Japanese version too... it wasn't there at first but it was added in later versions of the movie
Also, again, unless someone gives me proof that 4Kids are the ones responsible for these movie additional scenes or for the new scenes in the "Johto League Champions" OP - I'm going to assume they didn't have anything to do with it and the Japanese just sent them these things this way (like the example I gave that in Israel we got the Japanese version of Mermaid Melody and Sailor Moon but the OP/ED had different animation than what was there in the original version... and they got it this way from the Japanese - so 4Kids could get some other version of that opening that the Japanese made themselves)

Well, I don't know anything about the Johto League Champions opening...

But for the additional scenes from Pokemon 4Ever, you can find information on that in the audio commentary (it's on the DVD).

The director and producer mention that, after watching the Japanese version, they were confused as to whether Sam was actually Professor Oak. So they contacted their Japanese counterparts, and they confirmed it. That's why 4Kids comissioned the scene at the end, where Ash talks to Oak on the video phone. If I remember correctly, they wanted to make sure that an American audience would understand the "Sam is Professor Oak" thing. They wanted to make that more clear to the audience.

But it was in the Japanese version too... it wasn't there at first but it was added in later versions of the movie
Ah, I see. I didn't know that.

Well, that explains why 4Kids didn't understand what was going on. They obviously saw the first version of the 4th movie, before Japan added those scenes. No wonder they were confused, lol.

Last edited:
The director and producer mention that, after watching the Japanese version, they were confused as to whether Sam was actually Professor Oak. So they contacted their Japanese counterparts, and they confirmed it. That's why 4Kids comissioned the scene at the end, where Ash talks to Oak on the video phone. If I remember correctly, they wanted to make sure that an American audience would understand the "Sam is Professor Oak" thing. They wanted to make that more clear to the audience.

They never heard of subtlety?

Haha, I don't know.

I guess the Japanese might have intended that to be subtle, like a small thing.

But apparently, the dubbers thought the "Sam is Professor Oak" thing was the big revelation from the movie. So they wanted to make sure the American audience wasn't confused by that part of the story.

You also have to keep in mind that Pokemon 4Ever was shown in select theaters in the US. That might be why they went to great lengths to make sure everyone understood the plot.

And to clarify, there isn't really a "first version" and a "second version" of the Celebi movie. In Japan, the version without all the extra scenes in it is the only version that really exists. It's the version that was put on both the single DVD and the box set, and it's the version that airs on TV whenever it's rerun.

A Japanese dub of 4Kids' dub apparently aired one time, but it seems like that was just a one-off thing.

For the overwhelming majority of fans in Japan, the 4Kids version with its added scenes is just a footnote, if that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom