• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

General Pokémon: Black and White Preview Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not possible. Best Wishes is much too long and any time cuts will look choppy as hell.

I agree, it's just too linear.

It's a 3D Pikachu running basically from Point A to Point B, without any shots without Pikachu. It's just not very advisable for the dub to work with.

The only solution would be to speed it up, but that would probably be just as hideous.

The ending although to a lesser extent also suffers this problem.

The only solution is episode scenes, or TPCI spends a crap load of money for OLM to make an opening for them to use.

The opening being too linear is why I don't really like the opening, on top of the fact they had no intention of continually updating it, despite not making any sense, as the Pokemon are too damn specific.

Luigifan141 said:
Also, given the episode titles and how The Greatest Everyday! kept all of its animation without filler clips added in the mix, I think Black and White will do the same. You know, to go along with the fresh feeling the series has so far.

Except there were quite a few clips from Saikoh Everyday! that were removed.

dman dustin said:
Sure, Trip could come from Tripod, but why not make it "Tripe" instead?

Because naming him "tripe" would be like naming him "stomach lining" or "garbage."

The name brings up a snotty rich kid who went to prep school and is in some ivy league school.
Haha, that sounds like Drew. I mean, that's what I thought of him in his first episode. XD

And forgive me for asking a dumb question, but I don't know anything about the new characters from Best Wishes. So, who is this Shooti/Trip guy anyway?

From the way you guys are describing him, he sounds like Todd, the Pokemon photographer, lol.

Okay. But what does taking pictures have to do with battling? Is that his hobby or something?

Ah, I see. Haha. XD

He sounds interesting.

My prediction is that Trip will be voiced by Tom Wayland or Jamie McGonnigal. It would be cool to see Tom Wayland voice one of the new characters. ^^

What if they asked for new animation like they did in one of the Johto Openings. I think it was Born to be a Winner.

That would be awesome!

But I doubt TPCi would do something nice for the fans like that... =/

Cause something tells me they don't care about what the fans want.

Last edited:
That would be awesome!

Cause something tells me they don't care about what the fans want.

it depends if they want to spend money to make a good opening''

but if they do' i can garuntee the song will be epic!! since your gonna spend alot of money for an opening your song should be just as epic '' maybe the singer from the johto series could return'

i think it was david rolfe ' or something

PokemonTrainerLisa said:

Oh, yes. It was sooooo nice of 4Kids to do away with all the perfectly usable Japanese footage in favor of the stuff they commissioned. Because footage made just for the American opening is better than footage made just for the Japanese opening, right?

Well, I never said it was "better" than the original Japanese opening.

I'm just saying, I think it was nice that 4Kids thought of the fans and went through all the trouble of getting new footage for the Johto League Champions opening. They didn't have to go out of their way like that, but they did. And I appreciate them for doing that. =)

I don't know why 4Kids changed the opening though. Maybe they thought new scenes would work better with "Born To Be A Winner"?

Ah well, no matter what scenes are used, an opening is still an opening. And to be honest, the theme songs always interest me more than the footage used in the openings. But that's just me. =P

maybe the singer from the johto series could return'

i think it was david rolfe ' or something
Yes, it was David Rolfe. Although, David didn't sing the Johto Journeys theme (the Johto group sang that one). But he did sing "Born To Be A Winner", "I Believe", and all the Hoenn theme songs.

Anyway, I would LOVE for them to bring back David Rolfe. He was awesome! His theme songs were my favorite! =D

But, I heard that he moved away from NY after TPCi took over the show. So I'm not sure if it's possible for him to return.

Last edited:
I'm just saying, I think it was nice that 4Kids thought of the fans and went through all the trouble of getting new footage for the Johto League Champions opening. They didn't have to go out of their way like that, but they did. And I appreciate them for doing that.
I dunno. Nobody asked or really hoped 4kids to or would have OLM make completely new scenes for the 4th opening despite the fact they could have just and easily have used the scenes from the Japanese opening. 4kids just did it. And, while it was a neat surprise, nobody expected or even begged 4kids to play an English version of Chiisaki Mono with different lyrics and title (Make a Wish) but containing verses from the original song - in Japanese - for the ending theme for the 6th movie. 4kids just did it.

It seems more like 4kids did it on their own accord. But if they were doing it for fans, I just have to say- What was with the dubbing of the 5th movie? What was with the major script change? And it was dubbed by the same person who dubbed other movies pretty much close to the original? What? 4kids- the way they dubbed Pokemon always confused me.

It seems more like 4kids did it on their own accord. But if they were doing it for fans, I just have to say- What was with the dubbing of the 5th movie? What was with the major script change? And it was dubbed by the same person who dubbed other movies pretty much close to the original? What? 4kids- the way they dubbed Pokemon always confused me.

The first seven movies all failed in at least one aspect. The scripts of 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7 were pretty bad - and they still got rid of all the music in 3. And of course 4 had those bizarre extra scenes.

It took 8 years for 4Kids to get a movie right, and that was the last one they did. TPCi's dubbed every movie they've done fairly well. It'd be great if they dubbed Best Wishes as well as their movies.

But, I heard that he moved away from NY after TPCi took over the show. So I'm not sure if it's possible for him to return.

He still does openings for 4Kids shows, doesn't he? And it's not like he has to be in NY to sing one 30-second intro song... it's not like recording dialogue for weekly episodes.

The first seven movies all failed in at least one aspect. The scripts of 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7 were pretty bad - and they still got rid of all the music in 3. And of course 4 had those bizarre extra scenes.

It took 8 years for 4Kids to get a movie right, and that was the last one they did. TPCi's dubbed every movie they've done fairly well. It'd be great if they dubbed Best Wishes as well as their movies.
I know that. I mean in the past didn't I repeatably say to anyone who complained about a TPCI dubbed movie that the script in the movies TPCI dubs are closer to the Japanese versions than 4kids' dub who makes major line changes while TPCI only makes a few small ones meaning there's nothing to whine about? Because this, even it will never happen, I've always wanted TPCI to redub the 5th movie. I bet the Legend of Altomare scene at the beginning of the movie would be kept if they did.

By pretty close I meant- 4kids dubbed some movie a bit closer to the Japanese version than they usually did, so it was slightly better, but still not close or good enough- especially compared to the TPCI dub movies.

Last edited:
I knew a guy named Trip in middle school. Everyone always said "Hey, Trip, have a nice fall?" whenever they saw him. Five years later, he took his own life due to the constant bullying over his name...

So it's totally a real name! :)

I don't know why 4Kids changed the opening though. Maybe they thought new scenes would work better with "Born To Be A Winner"?
The explanation I heard had to do with the fact that the Japanese version has the Japanese names of each Pokemon appear over the Pokemon when they appeared on screen, and it would be too hard to erase the Japanese. But...I dunno how reliable that is, although there's never been a Japanese Opening since then which did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom