• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I don't understand why they can't show Dawn again?

Ashfangirl22

I love Ash.
Reaction score
I'm curious what the Pokemon people are thinking here? Did they just think it'd be too hard to make her Best Wishes style? Or was she the least liked of the females? I thought she was pretty popular.

BW seems to be treated like a new start for the series, hence the writers severing all ties with the past.

Its the same reason why neither Mr. Mime nor Tracey were shown back at Pallet this time, when they're always been there every other time. Also with Brock and Wobbufett gone after a decade, and the Contests themselves dropped after a decade, it does not bode well for any older character.

And lastly, the BW saga almost makes it feel like DP never happened.

Maybe it's because she's not relevant to the plot any more.

But yeah, I can't really think of any elements in BW that would directly relate to her...Musicals are a biiiiig stretch and highly unlikely (since, it seems like a pretty lackluster thing to bring her back for anyways...).

And the series is still young, I mean, May and Misty took a while before they cameo'd, right? I wouldn't get my hopes up, but I wouldn't completely lose it either :)

I still strongly believe those Dawn/Brock specials were intended to be their, "cameos" this gen.

Notice how no new specials have been announced since those two aired a couple of months ago? It was likely done as a last hurrah.

Hmm Wonder if that means will never see Oak or Ash's mom again? For some reason I forgot about the whole feeling like a fresh start thingXD Forgot how long it took for Misty and May to appear, good call CommanderPigg, here's hopping. The special was weird though meh.

Well writers could have Dawn appear in Unova,but real question is do they want this?
There are couple of ways to do this and while musicals seem like lame excuse to bring her back some peple say how she could return in Unova with purpose of promoting contests among people in there to get them familiarized with it.
Distance isnt any problem either because some plotline which would lead Dawn to BW region for a visit could be easily provided,similar to how Wallace Cup was used as excuse to have May stop with her contests in Johto going all the way to Sinnoh for it.

Couple of changes in Best Wishes with Ash new journey being more of a new start than it was case with AG or DP isnt particlarly big problem to have older character back too because this show is still treated as one big contiuity with Ash being main hero along with references to past and existence of older characters being present(like Dehlia,prof.Oak,Tr,Giovanni etc).

Case in point,as long ASh is main star of pokemon with show being treated as continuity and not completely new series with whole cast being revamped older characters have chance to come back.As Sinnoh showed writers tend to be very unorthodox about older characters returning back ones like Gary,Jessibelle,Jasmine etc which were already forgoten and gone for years.
If they could have return there is no reason why more popular and major character like Dawn couldnt either.

Dawn may not necessarily appear in BW but after that region she most definitely could.

BW seems to be treated like a new start for the series, hence the writers severing all ties with the past.

BW is still part of same show which has been airing for nearly 15 years with connections to past not being erased.
Less showed doesnt equal being gone.

I think Dawn deserves a cameo appearance in some degree, though I think it would be difficult for her to come up at all. Going off to Hoenn doesn't really leave it open for her to come to Unova, but May's reappearance was rather out of the blue. I'm sure they could find some way for her to return, possibly doing something for Rowan? Who knows, I just hope she does come back.

They can show her, but I agree with Gliscor'd with the idea of those specials being their "cameos" for this generation.

They're doing more to start fresh this generation than previous ones. (Using barely any pre BW! music, having no Pokemon seen in other regions appear as wild creatures in Unova, and some other stuff I can't think of now)

She has only been gone a few months, she will likely come back and Ash will explain to Cilan and Iris about how they know each other, Like with May in Diamond and Pearl and With Misty In the advance series, The writers simply aren't going to forget about there last 5 years of work.

She has only been gone a few months, she will likely come back and Ash will explain to Cilan and Iris about how they know each other, Like with May in Diamond and Pearl and With Misty In the advance series, The writers simply aren't going to forget about there last 5 years of work.

Who said they were forgetting anything? They probably want BW to stand on its own as a fresh start.

Why do you think even Gary is apparently gone from the series again? They brought Gary into Sinnoh, but now there's no indication if he will ever appear in Unova, and he probably won't.

It's like the writers brought Gary back after 4 years, (he was gone for all of AG till the end), gave him 3 measly episodes in DP, and then dropped him again. I think the fact that Gary's return was handled so lazily says a lot about how they feel about older characters.

Who said they were forgetting anything? They probably want BW to stand on its own as a fresh start.

Why do you think even Gary is apparently gone from the series again? They brought Gary into Sinnoh, but now there's no indication if he will ever appear in Unova, and he probably won't.

It's like the writers brought Gary back after 4 years, (he was gone for all of AG till the end), gave him 3 measly episodes in DP, and then dropped him again. I think the fact that Gary's return was handled so lazily says a lot about how they feel about older characters.

The whole fresh start thing is unlikely, They have mentioned about Kanto Johto Hoenn and sinnoh in this season, Umbreon was seen in an episode, In the first episode of black And white Ash has all of his awards from hoenn and sinnoh in his room. Gary might make an apperance at the end of the Unova league and tell him about a new region like he did in Kanto.

The whole fresh start thing is unlikely, They have mentioned about Kanto Johto Hoenn and sinnoh in this season, Umbreon was seen in an episode, In the first episode of black And white Ash has all of his awards from hoenn and sinnoh in his room. Gary might make an apperance at the end of the Unova league and tell him about a new region like he did in Kanto.

Care to explain why Tracey and Mr. Mime weren't shown at Pallet Town in the first ep? Where were they? Misty not being there wasn't a surprise, but Tracey/Mr. Mime were always there.

We also did not get to see TR say goodbye to Wobbufett, Seviper, etc. It all happened off-screen so we couldn't see them.

Care to explain why Tracey and Mr. Mime weren't shown at Pallet Town in the first ep? Where were they? Misty not being there wasn't a surprise, but Tracey/Mr. Mime were always there.

We also did not get to see TR say goodbye to Wobbufett, Seviper, etc. It all happened off-screen so we couldn't see them.

Well nobody know anything 100% But the reason why they don't have their pokemon in Unova is because they are Rare in that regeion but every Pokemon who has ever left the series has gotten a good send of Episode, so i think they sould at least do that for Wobbuffet.

We will never see Wobbuffet again, he was voiced by Brock's VA.
They can show Dawn again. but they probably don't want to yet.

We will never see Wobbuffet again,

You don't know that

he was voiced by Brock's VA.

The VA can return to voice it
Or they can use old recordings like they did with Pikachu when its VA wasn't available
Or they can give it a new VA like they did to Dawn's Buneary, Brock's Mudkip, Jessie herself and others...
VAs mean nothing for the fate of characters

Dawn was with Ash and Brock in Sinnoh as she is a playable character in Diamond, Pearl and Platinum, which the Diamond & Pearl series was trying to advertise. Now, The Pokémon Company are focusing on advertising Black & Which, in which Dawn does not appear.

In Kanto (the arc advertising RGBY), both Brock and Misty were Gym Leaders. In GSC, Brock and Misty are Gym Leaders post-Elite 4 so that is most likely why they were kept in the Johto series. In Hoenn, Misty was replaced with May to help advertise RSE, whereas Brock could have potentially been kept for FRLG. Brock being kept in DP could also have been because of HGSS.

It's advertising, and the anime is one big advertisement. That's all there is to it.

Thats because writers never planned to do something big with Gary.They returned him simply to throw some bone to older fans and show how his carer as pokemon researcher is going on.

Garys small role has nothing to do with how writers being "lazy",but more with fact that it was never planned to give him some special treatment turning him in recurring character who will continue to appear past DP being just your assertion.They didnt see need to increase his role and make some big deal out of it just wanting to acknowledge its existence.
If you look at Mays cameo in Wallace Cup it shows how writers are anything but lazy when it comes to older characters.

Lot of that has to do with fact of Ash stop at Pallet town being simply 15 minutes long.What was point in showing Tracey or mr.Mime for such a short time just to say hi?
There simply wasnt purpose for it.

In Hoenn, Misty was replaced with May to help advertise RSE, whereas Brock could have potentially been kept for FRLG. Brock being kept in DP could also have been because of HGSS.

In all games you mentioned where Brock was present Misty was present too and yet she was gone from show.Advertising has very little to do with Brocks keeping with writers probably wanting to make transition to Hoenn easier and more acceptable to fans considering how they started replacing characters wanting to keep some balance by having mixed group of older and new characters.
Thatt and Brocks role of older caretaker and mentor to group was good enough with writers not seeing need to replace him after being just returned one region ago.

It's advertising, and the anime is one big advertisement. That's all there is to it.

Maybe so but advertising isnt main reason behind characters being replaced.In girls case according to that interview with ex pokemon director(Masamitsu Hidaka)they replace them to add new "eye candy"for male audience).Tracey was replaced because after writers witnessed how their fearing of possible racial issues about Brock was unjustified with his character being well liked they decided to give him second chance while in Misty case she was replaced according to ex head writer(Takeshi Shudo)because of being underdeveloped as character having weakest reason to stay with writers wanting some change after ratings started to drop in Johto.That and ex head writer didnt cared much for her not wanting to increase role and keep her.

They should have stopped bringing old characters in new regions for nothing because now, people think that Dawn needs to be in Unova, where she doesn't need to be. They should have not continued that same annoying trend. Dawn had almost full attention in DP, bringing her in Unova will completly make Iris and Dento invisible since they aren't competing in anything yet.

Dawn probably will appear later on. And wow, never seeing Oak or HIS MOTHER again is a very huge stretch. If Ash never saw his mom again for the rest of his life even if it were a reboot would be a very very bad stretch. And I don't think any of the characters will ever be gone for good, just appear less frequently. I'm really getting sick of these "reboot" or "fresh start" threads....

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom