• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I don't understand why they can't show Dawn again?

they don't like her anymore
probably because it's like a new thing now and all that is done.

Am I missing something? She might cameo again for all we know. I have to say, I think it's unlikely since she and Brock have already had specials devoted to them.
I know Misty had some cameo's even though she also had the Chronicles eps, but that was different. Pokemon Chronicles was it's own little spin off.

They have specifically given Brock and Dawn a special episode for a reason, in my opinion, and that reason is closure. For all her fans I hope I'm wrong, even though I don't really care to see her again, I wouldn't object to it and it would please a lot of fans.

In all games you mentioned where Brock was present Misty was present too and yet she was gone from show.Advertising has very little to do with Brocks keeping with writers probably wanting to make transition to Hoenn easier and more acceptable to fans considering how they started replacing characters wanting to keep some balance by having mixed group of older and new characters.
Thatt and Brocks role of older caretaker and mentor to group was good enough with writers not seeing need to replace him after being just returned one region ago.

Maybe so but advertising isnt main reason behind characters being replaced.In girls case according to that interview with ex pokemon director(Masamitsu Hidaka)they replace them to add new "eye candy"for male audience).Tracey was replaced because after writers witnessed how their fearing of possible racial issues about Brock was unjustified with his character being well liked they decided to give him second chance while in Misty case she was replaced according to ex head writer(Takeshi Shudo)because of being underdeveloped as character having weakest reason to stay with writers wanting some change after ratings started to drop in Johto.That and ex head writer didnt cared much for her not wanting to increase role and keep her.

One of the anime writers said they like to rotate the female characters, due to the combination of swimsuits and stuff. When it comes to rotating a character out to allow more advertising, they'd obviously prefer the female. Tracey was a blip on the radar, as they panicked about Brock being seen as a racial stereotype, who was axed as soon as they realised people didn't care.

Look at the BW trio; it's a cold start except they kept Ash. Watch Generation V be the only generation without a visit to Kanto (so no advertising will be needed); hence why Brock isn't needed (and has obviously been replaced by Cilan).

Strong characters, weak characters, they're all adverts. Double billing selling new games and giving fresh eye-candy is a good move.

Thats just your opinion, it's not a fact.

Well here are some facts:

- Tracey's last appearance: 2006, AG 191. He hasn't re-appeared in 5 years.

- Misty's last real appearance: 2005, AG134 and the Mastermind special. Its been over 6 years and 300 something episodes since she appeared.

- May's last appearance; 2008. Granted she was the most recent return.

- Max's last real appearance: 2006 unless you count his cameo watching on TV.

- Gary's last appearance: 2009, but he also only appeared 3 times over DP's 191 ep span.

And now it looks like Dawn/Brock won't be seen again for a long time, if ever.

BW seems to be treated like a new start for the series, hence the writers severing all ties with the past.

Its the same reason why neither Mr. Mime nor Tracey were shown back at Pallet this time, when they're always been there every other time. Also with Brock and Wobbufett gone after a decade, and the Contests themselves dropped after a decade, it does not bode well for any older character.

And lastly, the BW saga almost makes it feel like DP never happened.

This. I don't know if they'll show the old characters again or not, but until we see some mention of them i'm going to assume that BW is a bit of a reboot, with everything from the past being erased. Personally I think were getting real close to Ash's story being closed up and someone new being brought in.

One of the anime writers said they like to rotate the female characters, due to the combination of swimsuits and stuff. When it comes to rotating a character out to allow more advertising, they'd obviously prefer the female.

Just one small correction.That wasnt said directly by writers but ex pokemon director who continued working as storyboard artist.

Look at the BW trio; it's a cold start except they kept Ash. Watch Generation V be the only generation without a visit to Kanto (so no advertising will be needed); hence why Brock isn't needed (and has obviously been replaced by Cilan).

You forgot to take in account how in several games Brock didnt even existed still being kept.
Like i said in all games which included return to Kanto Misty was present too but that didnt stopped them from replacing her.
Advertising may have been partially reason but it was hardly main one behind Brocks stay.

Examples like him,Ash(though hes exception),TR etc show how for promotion of new games new characters arent necessary being possible to advertise them through older ones too through new pokemon giving them promotional value.Several male protagonists were ignored in favor of Brock being kept despiute not existing in those games,same goes for good chunk of female protagonists etc.

Nintendo and Game freak could care less who is going to be in cast as long their main product(new pokemon)are being promoted properly.
If games didnt changed so much with Black and White giving away impression of "new start"im pretty sure Brock would be kept past Sinnoh too.They probably replaced him to make anime mirror them more deciding its time for a change and new character.

Strong characters, weak characters, they're all adverts. Double billing selling new games and giving fresh eye-candy is a good move.

Depends for who.Because many people became sick of girls being replaced so often going through repetitive cycle of dumping character with halfway done story to bring in new one who will end up as previous anyway.
This is one of reasons why many fans i met decided to quit with show finding this formula repetitive when they could easily just refresh character developing further what they got.

- Misty's last real appearance: 2005, AG134 and the Mastermind special. Its been over 6 years and 300 something episodes since she appeared.

- May's last appearance; 2008. Granted she was the most recent return.

- Max's last real appearance: 2006 unless you count his cameo watching on TV.

- Gary's last appearance: 2009, but he also only appeared 3 times over DP's 191 ep span.

And now it looks like Dawn/Brock won't be seen again for a long time, if ever.

That still doesnt change fact how any of those characters can return again.Several of replaced characters like May,Misty,Brock etc are well liked among fans having potential to offer more on table with some of their stories still hanging up in the air not being given closure.
They also played big part in this show contributing to its story and popularity.

For comparison:
-Gary left at end of Johto in 2002 just to return several years later in 2006 in episode "Home is Where the Start is".
-Jessibelle who was gone from 1998 reappeared after 10 years in 2009 and episode "Treasure is all mine".

As it has been showed it doesnt matter how long character is gone from show because he can return at anytime in future providing writers decide to do something with it.

Last edited:
Just one small correction.That wasnt said directly by writers but ex pokemon director who continued working as storyboard artist.
Either way, someone in the know about the production of the anime.

You forgot to take in account how in several games Brock didnt even existed still being kept.

Like i said in all games which included return to Kanto Misty was present too but that didnt stopped them from replacing her.
Advertising may have been partially reason but it was hardly main one behind Brocks stay.
I already explained those. Sure, while Misty and Brock were in all generations prior to this one, one character had to be rotated out to allow for advertisement of the current generation, and they obviously chose to rotate the female character so they could give the fans a new poster girl (well, the fans who like 10 year old girls...)

Examples like him,Ash(though hes exception),TR etc show how for promotion of new games new characters arent necessary being possible to advertise them through older ones too through new pokemon giving them promotional value.Several male protagonists were ignored in favor of Brock being kept despiute not existing in those games,same goes for good chunk of female protagonists etc.
Leaf and Hilda are currently the only female protagonists not to appear in the anime in one way or another. Leaf didn't need to be in the show for FRLG due to Brock, and hell, even Ash (as Ash is loosely based on Red) were there; besides, that generation was still advertising RS, and later, Emerald.

Nintendo and Game freak could care less who is going to be in cast as long their main product(new pokemon)are being promoted properly.
But it helps promote them if a character from the new games is the one catching them, and kids can now look at Cilan and Iris and directly link them to their Black & White games, which they wouldn't have been able to do with Brock or Dawn.

If games didnt changed so much with Black and White giving away impression of "new start"im pretty sure Brock would be kept past Sinnoh too.They probably replaced him to make anime mirror them more deciding its time for a change and new character.
And yet we still have Ash, Pikachu, Jessie, James and Meowth.

Depends for who.Because many people became sick of girls being replaced so often going through repetitive cycle of dumping character with halfway done story to bring in new one who will end up as previous anyway.
This is one of reasons why many fans i met decided to quit with show finding this formula repetitive when they could easily just refresh character developing further what they got.
Character development...in a kid's show? That guy PokéBeach interviewed made it clear that the females were swapped around to allow for more swimsuits etc. I don't know who likes looking at 10 year old girls in swimsuits, but someone does.

That still doesnt change fact how any of those characters can return again.Several of replaced characters like May,Misty,Brock etc are well liked among fans having potential to offer more on table with some of their stories still hanging up in the air not being given closure.
They also played big part in this show contributing to its story and popularity.
Older fans. Pokémon's target audience most likely don't even know who Misty, Max, May and Tracey are, and were probably confused by Gary's appearance in DP.

For comparison:
-Gary left at end of Johto in 2002 just to return several years later in 2006 in episode "Home is Where the Start is".
-Jessibelle who was gone from 1998 reappeared after 10 years in 2009 and episode "Treasure is all mine".

As it has been showed it doesnt matter how long character is gone from show because he can return at anytime in future providing writers decide to do something with it.
And yet, Jessibelle only appeared for one episode (well, more like half an episode) which had to have her role explained again, and Gary, despite being an important character at the start, only appeared for a few episodes.

He Was On The Computer Talking To Ash In DP002/001

I already explained those. Sure, while Misty and Brock were in all generations prior to this one, one character had to be rotated out to allow for advertisement of the current generation, and they obviously chose to rotate the female character so they could give the fans a new poster girl (well, the fans who like 10 year old girls...)

I guess you arent familiarized with Takeshi Shudo blogs than,because advertising was small part of reason why Misty got replaced with May.
If there wasnt for drop in ratings in Johto with writers deciding to add some change Misty would likely be kept for Hoenn with Mays faith of becoming main character being questionable.

Leaf and Hilda are currently the only female protagonists not to appear in the anime in one way or another. Leaf didn't need to be in the show for FRLG due to Brock, and hell, even Ash (as Ash is loosely based on Red) were there; besides, that generation was still advertising RS, and later, Emerald.

I was talking more about male protagonists(like Lucas or Brendan for example) being ignored in favor of Brock being kept despite not existing in Dimand and Pearl or Ruby and Sapphire.
Speaking of Leaf considering she was protagonist in games she would help better to advertise new games than gym leader.

While writers are obligated to promote new games they have contrary to some belief liberty when it comes to creating main cast.

But it helps promote them if a character from the new games is the one catching them, and kids can now look at Cilan and Iris and directly link them to their Black & White games, which they wouldn't have been able to do with Brock or Dawn.

It helps but as it was showed its not necessary being possible to introduce new characters through arcs without including them in main cast like they did with HGSS remakes for example with Lyra and Khoury with most advertising being covered through new pokemon being showcased.

And yet we still have Ash, Pikachu, Jessie, James and Meowth.

Ash is kept because he is star of this show which is being revolved around his journey,Pikachu is mascot of pkemon franchize and TR trio is group of antagonists which serve role as playing obstacle on Ashs journey.

Aside from maybe TR Ash and Pikachu are likely to be kept until end of this anime.

[QUOTE
Character development...in a kid's show? That guy PokéBeach interviewed made it clear that the females were swapped around to allow for more swimsuits etc. I don't know who likes looking at 10 year old girls in swimsuits, but someone does.[/QUOTE]

While this show never had particularly deep and complex plot character development is present as we can see with examples like May,Misty,Ash etc with characters going through some change.

Older fans. Pokémon's target audience most likely don't even know who Misty, Max, May and Tracey are, and were probably confused by Gary's appearance in DP.

It doesnt matter if thy dont know or not because any possible misunderstanding could be cleared up explaining in few lines who certain character is and reason behind his return.Just like they did with Gary with explanation of who he is and whats he doing there being provided to kids which didnt know him.
I wouldnt be surprised if some of them after that became interested in watching previous sagas to find out more about him.

Also thanks to frequent air of reruns on several TV stations(like Boomerang,pokemon Smash,Disney channel etc) as well other medias of info like internet,Dvds,older relatives from who they could hear about this make it safe to say how good chunk of today kids already know about older characters and previous sagas.From my experience i can tell i met some of today kids who actually know about older characters.

And yet, Jessibelle only appeared for one episode (well, more like half an episode) which had to have her role explained again, and Gary, despite being an important character at the start, only appeared for a few episodes.

So?It still shows how characters absence doesnt affect possibility of him returning again in future.

Also Gary and Jessibelle are minor characters not being to expect seeing the getting more than one to few episodes at max.Its obvious that if writers would ever want to reuse older character ex main traveling companions would have bigger chance.

Maybe because this is Isshu and they want to market the Isshu characters and Pokemon.

Thank you Gotpika. You couldn't have said it better with a shorter comment than everyone else's.

I know Misty had some cameo's even though she also had the Chronicles eps, but that was different. Pokemon Chronicles was it's own little spin off.

In the English version Chronicles was a spinoff. In Japan, the special episodes with Misty were placed throughout the Pokemon variety show (?) Weekly Pokemon Broadcasting Station.

I still think that the Misty eps and the ones with Brock and Dawn are different cases though. Since they're not spending that much time to show older things (there are certain times, but they're not main parts of Best Wishes!), I think the Brock and Dawn cameos were done so they wouldn't have to appear in Unova.

Turquoise said:
The writers simply aren't going to forget about there last 5 years of work.

They didn't, and that's how they did that special episode of Dawn. It's not impossible for her to reappear in Best Wishes! but I think, considering they're trying not to bring up old things as often as before (aside from Ash, Pikachu, and Team Rocket, who are here to stay for now), but I think it's unlikely.

Joshawott said:
In Kanto (the arc advertising RGBY), both Brock and Misty were Gym Leaders. In GSC, Brock and Misty are Gym Leaders post-Elite 4 so that is most likely why they were kept in the Johto series.

Aside from that, they brought Brock back and replaced Tracey since Brock turned out not to be controversial. I don't think they wanted to bring him back only to get rid of Misty and risk bringing in some new anime-only character that they didn't really have to bring.

Brock being kept in DP could also have been because of HGSS.

This I really doubt. He's not the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Hg/Ss, and he didn't do that much throughout D&P. I think they just still didn't want to replace him. I don't think Johto remakes alone would've been enough to keep him.

Last edited:
Perhaps they kept Brock so long out of laziness of creating a new character.

I think it's something about his VA.

Couldn't you say the same for any character? I assume Brock stayed for AG just out of having one other Kanto character still in the show.

By the time DP started it became obvious the writers were going to continue using new characters, so him returning yet again seemed out of the blue.

it's funny that they made a side series special for misty and dawn, which makes me think that they'll probaly won't appear again for a while, but may might come again

The difference is back then the specials were constantly made over the course of AG.

Here we only got 2 specials, and there's no indication if there will be any more.

Couldn't you say the same for any character? I assume Brock stayed for AG just out of having one other Kanto character still in the show.

There is no real reason to keep him in the show at AG and DP. Also his VA's other characters are nowhere to be seen as well. These things are show us Takeshi's status in the show dependent on his VA.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom