• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW032: Gamagaru, Maggyo! Battle on the Waterfront!!

re: BW 032 "Gamagaru, Maggyo! Battle on the Water!!" Review Thread

"LE GASP" indeed... :p

I meant early BW :)

I don't get why people are freaking out about not liking Ash getting Palpitoad.

It's not so much Palpitoad itself, but because he already has too much pokémon as is, because it's a water type when he already has Mijumaru, etc.

The episode itself sorta reminded me of how Muk was captured, more so than Krabby, who I am reminded of by Sewaddle. The problems that were present then, Krabby having very little in the way of personality and 1-2 real battles, are already present in Swadloon who seems to be an empty shell in the background until it's pull out to battle and evolve. I wouldn't be surprised to not see it battle until the League and evolve in a random filler. He's really Krabby 2.0, which is sad.

Same for Palpitoad. Is it gonna follow the Muk road which is rot at Juniper, have an unexplicable change of heart and smother everyone, battle once or not at all until the League?

I'm slightly less pessimistic with regards to Palpitoad. I still find him terribly redundant and I don't find the evolutionary line interesting, but with a prior relationship to Stunfisk, we might see something different then Muk, but still, I wouldn't put it past the writers to do that.

Cue in the 30 Bouffalant... >___>

Cue in the 30 Bouffalant... >___>

wait.
THIS IDEA.

satoshi totally should and show them to shuuti, just so shuuti can be all moe to them too :3

Maybe ash will use palpitoad against elesa since it knows mudshot

It was not smart of the writers to give Pokabu three gym battles in a row. Oh, man I hope everyone of them can get a gym battle.

Pikachu
Pokabu
Mijumaru
Kurumayu

all got battles.

Gamagaru
Hatooboh
Zuruggu
Tsutarja

need gym battles. Speaking of Zuruggu why is it taking so long him to get stronger, I really don't wanna wait for a long time til he's good enough to take on a gym. I mean Kibago doesn't paticipate in gyms. But Zuruggu has to be ready for a gym sooner or later, I wanna see his awesomeness in action.

This isn't a thread to discuss possible gym match-ups in.

Nope, Dent catching Maggyo is still making me laugh. ^^ I hope we see more of him/her. (Arceus, I hope it's a girl!)

Considering Megayanma's deep voice, I don't think pitch can be used to guess gender.

Though I agree it being a female would be even more hilarious. XD

That red ring of death dot appeared because Ash already has 6 Pokémon with him. That means he cant call Palpitoad out immediately. The same thing happened in BW 18 when he captured Sewaddle.

Thats quite odd, since with krabby back in kanto, the pokeball teleported automatically, like in the games. Guess they are doing something new.

Well, I rather liked this episode. Gives me hope on the series. Anyway, it's also good to know that Ash is catching more Pokemon than he had in the past (with the exception of Kanto, where he caught Krabby, Muk, 30 Tauros', and whatnot). The look on Emolga's face when fighting with Snivy was hysterical (although I side with Snivy in their fights, since her mentality is a refreshing change). And Scraggy is up to his trouble-making antics again, being a tough guy. He should really pick his battles better. At least pick a fight with something that can't poison you AND the rest of the gang. And I'm glad to see Oshawott overcome his Aqua Jet/underwater problem, earing Ash a Palpitoad in the process. That kind of development I like to see. And now all three protagonists have an Electric-type, an interesting turn of events. I did find it amazing how Cilan defeated Stunfisk by himself. Guess you should never underestimate the guy. I know I won't.

Overall, a good episode.

i just wonder how yanappu and dwebble will take to the new addition... it is new that neither dento or ash bonded in any way whatsoever with these pokemon before capturing them. how will they react when sent out? nobody even had a chance to think before it happened.

Yeah, I kind of wish we saw them introduced to the rest at the end of the episode during the group scene...

"Here's your new friends guys...uh...they kind of tried to prevent us from getting the medicine that healed you...but...uh...yeah..."

Anyway, I kind of hope they keep up being mischievous, but then again I can see the writers kind of nerfing them in terms of evilness...hopefully they maintain some little gag though.

I imagine Maggyo might get to shine in BW 38...considering Cilan's investigating a mystery, I wouldn't be surprised if Maggyo's trap skills come into play.

Not to mention super awesome!

Now that I think about it, we haven't heard one way or the other on Dwebble, have we? It could be a girl for all we know.

There's no dual-types left since Litwick, but I guess if Tepig evolves, he'll be the dual Fire-type, so maybe they can give him Heatmor? I'd like that.
What about Larvesta? It's a dual-typed Fire, too. Whatever goes down is cool with me, though.

sunyshore said:
i just wonder how yanappu and dwebble will take to the new addition... it is new that neither dento or ash bonded in any way whatsoever with these pokemon before capturing them. how will they react when sent out? nobody even had a chance to think before it happened.
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing too, Stunfisk especially since it didn't get a battle. Perhaps in a future episode the two Pokémon conspire against their Trainers? It could make for some interesting stuff, no?

Considering Megayanma's deep voice, I don't think pitch can be used to guess gender.

I forgot about Megayanma XDDD "you're a girl?!" rofl....

Ugh....since the writers are "spamming" Attract they might as well teach it to Stunfisk for lulz XD I can just see it watching Emolga with that gaze while Emolga uses Attract...then it learns it XDD jk jk but I'd laugh either way...I laugh with how it was caught and it being on the main cast! ^^

because it's a water type when he already has Mijumaru, etc.

I'm slightly less pessimistic with regards to Palpitoad. I still find him terribly redundant
Snivy and Swadloon say hi.

You do remember that it's also a Ground-type right? It also gives Ash a third logical defensive choice to use against Elesa, so the timing of the capture was good.

Snivy and Swadloon say hi.

I feel the say way about Ash catching Sewaddle when he already had Snivy, even more so in that case...

You do remember that it's also a Ground-type right? It also gives Ash a third logical defensive choice to use against Elesa, so the timing of the capture was good.

Ash has really made it a point in Best Wishes to use pokémon that were at a disadvantage in battle as often as he can, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Mijumaru and Hatoboh in that gym battle : P. Plus, I wouldn't be mad if they did. I don't know anything about Palpitoad, we haven't seen him train with Ash, bond with him... there's no real reason right now to feel invested in Palpitoad, to root for him, making the battle less interesting in my opinion.

Though, I like the idea of a pokémon with Palpitoad's personality on Ash's team and the relationship with Stunfisk is interesting, I just wish it had been a non-water pokémon.

What a splendid episode!

For starters, I thought each character had a fair amount of activity in this episode (Iris to a lesser extent, but she gets the next episode to herself). Satoshi helping Mijumaru master Aqua Jet surprisingly still interested me even though they had just done some training a few episodes ago. What I liked most about Mijumaru in this episode was that it didn't act overconfident and exhibit immature mannerisms like it usually does; it's slowly maturing one step at a time. Dent was amazing with his fishing rod, and the Dent Lure was a nice touch. Iris playing with the Pokémon in the beginning was fitting since she's a "jungle" girl (like how a "jungle" person would play with exotic animals in real life).

Also, most of the Pokémon's personalities were showcased well in this episode: Mijumaru's low self-confidence regarding mastering Aqua Jet and opening its eyes underwater, Tsutarja and Emonga's rivalry, Ishizumai feeling sorry for destroying the volleyball (like how it felt bad for hurting Yanappu in its debut episode), and Zuruggu being aggressive. However, Pokabu, Kurumayu, Pikachu, Kibago, and Yanappu should have also had some little quirks in that scene where Ishizumai was all apologetic and Tsutarja and Emonga were butting heads in the background. Oh, and Doryuzu didn't even appear. >:p

Next, Satoshi and Dent capturing Gamagaru and Maggyo, respectively. To be honest, I'm not fond of Satoshi obtaining so many Pokémon because it allows for less development from each. However, Gamagaru was shown in this episode to be very territorial and has a relationship with Maggyo, whom Dent also captured; therefore, I'm willing to give it a chance to prove itself worthy in upcoming episodes. I'm perfectly fine with Dent catching Maggyo since Yanappu and Ishizumai have both received a fair amount of screen and battle time lately. Oh, and by the way, since Maggyo can swim underwater even though it's a Ground/Electric-type, does that mean Water-type attacks aren't super effective against it?

Finally, I'm glad that Mijumaru has finally mastered Aqua Jet. While I'm content with the way it was done since it felt like a realistic problem that would happen in real life (considering Pokémon actually exist), I wish the otter would have worked toward a generation five move instead. I can get past that, though, since this learning process has left Mijumaru more developed and mature.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with how the writers handled this episode; many events took place, but not once did anything feel rushed or forced. Now we just have to wait and see how the Gamagaru x Maggyo relationship is handled in future episodes.

"Stunfisk, marry my ball".....0.0

Cilan vs Stunfisk was the more epic part of this episode. To be honest though, it was fantastic.

I still somewhat hard to believe Dento caught Derpfish. It was such a random capture for him.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom