• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen V Disapointment

Going from
298.png
to
298.gif
:eek:hdear: Shame on you Game Freak for making Azurill cry :disgust:

a number of Gen. V 'mons getting movesets that troll their stats &/or types, such as the pidove & trubbish lines. it really brings back painful memories of Gen. I & II when this issue was an epidemic i.e. Krabby line for example. We're five generations in & GF still loves to make various 'mons a pain in the ass to use

Not sure if this belong here but... Am I the only one who brought B/W, but gone back to Gen IV because you like it more there? I played through Black, but I just... don't like it there. Not sure if I'll play there again, haha.

@woaska: I definitely am doing the same thing. Loved the BW playthrough but I'd rather do the Gen IV post-game. As has been said many times before, Gen V postgame is weak beyond all regards.

The fact that so many of the pokemon evolve so late bothers me a lot. And just the pokemon distribution in general. There are a lot of cool pokemon that you don't get until the tail end, at which point you can hardly use them. I did my black playthrough with the team i wanted from eggs i made in white, but still when they don't evolve until the 50's and i'm stuck with a baby forever it's annoying as well. They easily could have scaled down the evolution level of practically every pokemon by about 10 and it would have made playthrough significantly more enjoyable.

Besides the more pokemon you can catch the post elite 4 in my opinion is pretty wimpy. Maybe I missed it but I wish the explained the c-gear, entralink all that stuff better in the games. Had a friend with black I have white trying to do the thing so I can make pokemon appear in white forrest. Took me a bunch of tries to figure out what to do then each time when I was going through it our connection was lost even though thew two DS's were right next toe each other

I disagree simply because I just wish they left some pokemon alone to begin with I mean look at these for example:

Spr_5b_125.png
Spr_5b_466.png

I liked Electabuzz and really wish they had not made it look like a construction worker lol

No offense to Electavire fans.

Update: To make it more clear on the point I was trying to make. I was replying to the original post stating that I was glad they did not mess with previous gen pokemon evos. And that introducing the new pokemon in gen V was a good idea.

Last edited:
I disagree simply because I just wish they left some pokemon alone to begin with I mean look at these for example:

Spr_5b_125.png
Spr_5b_466.png

I liked Electabuzz and really wish they had not made it look like a construction worker lol

No offense to Electavire fans.

How does it resemble a construction worker?
Plus, Electivire was from gen IV
Plus, none of the gen V pokémon are related to any earlier pokémon.

Besides the more pokemon you can catch the post elite 4 in my opinion is pretty wimpy. Maybe I missed it but I wish the explained the c-gear, entralink all that stuff better in the games. Had a friend with black I have white trying to do the thing so I can make pokemon appear in white forrest. Took me a bunch of tries to figure out what to do then each time when I was going through it our connection was lost even though thew two DS's were right next toe each other

I agree wholeheartedly. I found the wireless functions ill-defined and to understand them you have to use them, which is no way to build a system for mass markets. Their handling of the wi-fi stuff is horrible.

How does it resemble a construction worker?
Plus, Electivire was from gen IV
Plus, none of the gen V pokémon are related to any earlier pokémon.

I was stating that I'm glad they are not using new evos from previous gens in gen V. And that introducing new pokemon was a better idea.

If you look at the original post you will see I was replying to that.

Last edited:
My biggest disappointment: No rematches. :<
Also, the C-Gear is a step back from HGSS' use of the touch screen. Another disappointment would be the pixellated zoomed-in back sprites.

My biggest disappointment: No rematches. :<
Also, the C-Gear is a step back from HGSS' use of the touch screen. Another disappointment would be the pixellated zoomed-in back sprites.

I agree, the touch screen in HGSS made everying more accessable and the pixellated rear sprites take away from the improved graphics through out the rest of the game. Also why the removal L=A option, another handy tool gone.

While I don't like pre-evolutions (they are useless and muck up the storyline- its feasable that people didn't know about new evolutions before but when people were already breeding a pokemon then that pokemon gets a pre-evolution, it makes no sense) I really like new evolutions. Problem with BW isn't the fact that there's no new evolutions, its that the new pokemon are just plain crappy. They are aesthetically displeasing and don't really bring anything groundbreakingly new to the table. The fact that you have to use these abominations for most of the game with no classic pokemon is a huge part of why I opted not to get the game (with promotional victini) and instead buy the vastly superior soul silver which recreates the best pokemon game ever made.

I'm just listing those that comes to mind.

For me, it is the lack of water routes that requires players to use surf to the next town. And the ONLY water Pokemon you can find in Pre-E4 are Frillish and Basculin. Disgusting...

And I really dislike how the gym leaders each have 3 Pokemon.

don't forget the Tirtouga line!

The only thing about Generation V that bothers me is that they made a second heart-shaped pink fish Pokemon, and DIDN'T make it an evolution of Luvdisc.

With a mustache.

Bad things about bw:
1)no rematches
2)horrible tms(they removed tms like focus punch and dark pulse and introduced tms like round and incinerate)
3)late evos (i mean zweillous evolves at lv 64!!!!!!)
4)low replayability(Unlike hg and platinum, these games cant be played again without getting bored)
5)if u aint wifi battling, u aint enjoying this game!!:-D
6)over reliance on features like wifi and infrared( u cant grow berries without going to poke-gl)
Whats more if u dont have people playing pokes near u you cant use many features of entralink at all..
7)Horrible champion's theme. its the same as the subway boss
8)no battle frontier.arrrgggghhh:-(

@Rutvik: There's never been a battle frontier in a regular edition... I wouldn't expect anything different from BW and the battle subway.

The only thing about Generation 5 that disappointed me was that Pokemon couldn't follow us. I liked that mechanic in HG/SS, and I was sad when I learned that it didn't exist in Black/White. I hope it returns someday, but I'm depressed that I can't have a Zorua following me in my Black version :(

4)low replayability(Unlike hg and platinum, these games cant be played again without getting bored)
I disagree. Black and White are some of the most replay-friendly entries in the franchise, unfortunately due it's largely limited post-E4 playability so far as the story is concerned. The Plasma plot is intriguing, while Bel, Cheren and N have some of the best personalities yet, and because of the 150 new critters, it's actually pretty fun to make more in-game teams. Add this to the fact that there's very little you can do once you've beat the game unless you competitively battle on wifi and you have pretty solid replay value. Compared to BW, HGSS really doesn't have much of a plot (of course, it might win over it, but purely due to nostalgia) and you're better off investing all those post-E4 hours in the Frontier in both HGSS and Plat rather than Up+Select+B-ing on the title screen.

I disagree. Black and White are some of the most replay-friendly entries in the franchise, unfortunately due it's largely limited post-E4 playability so far as the story is concerned. The Plasma plot is intriguing, while Bel, Cheren and N have some of the best personalities yet, and because of the 150 new critters, it's actually pretty fun to make more in-game teams. Add this to the fact that there's very little you can do once you've beat the game unless you competitively battle on wifi and you have pretty solid replay value. Compared to BW, HGSS really doesn't have much of a plot (of course, it might win over it, but purely due to nostalgia) and you're better off investing all those post-E4 hours in the Frontier in both HGSS and Plat rather than Up+Select+B-ing on the title screen.

You're arguing the opposite case: there is hardly any replay value after you beat the E4. Why would you go on and continue when there is hardly anything to do?

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom