• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is execution by lethal injection humane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but I only support the death penalty in extreme cases. Are you going to argue that Osama Bin Laden is inocent?

The only cases I can see death sentence as somewhat justified in would involve :

1-The person represent a non-insignificant risk even behind bars (hostage takings, etc). Possible escape is generally insignificant in 99.99999% of countries.

2-There is overwhelming physical evidence that they are guilty. DNA is prefered in cases where it may apply.

3-The person has claimed responsibility in a formal setting, and does not protest his or her innocence with regard to the act. (Whether or not they claim they cannot be tried for the crime, ala Saddam, is however irrelevant).

The only cases I can see death sentence as somewhat justified in would involve :

1-The person represent a non-insignificant risk even behind bars (hostage takings, etc). Possible escape is generally insignificant in 99.99999% of countries.

2-There is overwhelming physical evidence that they are guilty. DNA is prefered in cases where it may apply.

3-The person has claimed responsibility in a formal setting, and does not protest his or her innocence with regard to the act. (Whether or not they claim they cannot be tried for the crime, ala Saddam, is however irrelevant).

Wouldnt Bin Laden fit that bill? I dont see him showing any remourse, he isnt claiming inocence, heck, hes claiming guilt. He has lots of buddies that could easily take hostages in exchange for him. Sorry, but if we are going to start arguing that Bin Laden is innocent, what have we come too?

Bin Laden could be made a solid case for, yes.

(Barring extremely unlikely physical evidence to his innocence. The odds of that happening...well, yeah.)

I generally disagree with whoever said most murderers are evil or something to that effect. No physical evidence has been found that you can be born 'evil', although it has been shown repeatedly that your personality and mental state are influenced by your life. Therefore you must assume that no-one is born evil and that everyone is shaped by the experiences and people that inpinge upon them in their lives. That's why the death penalty is never justifiable.

People should be locked up definately, so they cannot harm others, and by necessity must not be kept in five star hotels (else everyone would be doing a bit of killing). But no-one deserves to die. Most people who are executed by the state are normally being punished, in effect, for having a bad life in the first place.

I generally disagree with whoever said most murderers are evil or something to that effect. No physical evidence has been found that you can be born 'evil', although it has been shown repeatedly that your personality and mental state are influenced by your life. Therefore you must assume that no-one is born evil and that everyone is shaped by the experiences and people that inpinge upon them in their lives. That's why the death penalty is never justifiable.

People should be locked up definately, so they cannot harm others, and by necessity must not be kept in five star hotels (else everyone would be doing a bit of killing). But no-one deserves to die. Most people who are executed by the state are normally being punished, in effect, for having a bad life in the first place.

Are we making excuses for people? "Oh, my daddy didnt love me, so I'm gonna go kill Johnny down the street, cause he has a better life than me. And guess what? Since Im homeless, I'll actually come out of these better than before, cause I'll have a roof over my head."

Hmmmmmm, people choose to kill, the past could influence a choice, but, you still choose to do that. Now, are we saying that Bin Laden is acting the way he is cause of his past? I thought it was cause of his belief set, and he thinks hes getting 72 virgins on the other side?

Yes. It's not just humane, it's lame to offer criminals a quick and painless death. If they break the law, why shouldn't they suffer for their crimes?

The problem today is that people are too soft.

Yes. It's not just humane, it's lame to offer criminals a quick and painless death. If they break the law, why shouldn't they suffer for their crimes?

The problem today is that people are too soft.

Thats a good point. Today, people seem to be more concearn with honoring the "rights" of the criminals, and neglecting the rights of those who the killers prey upon. This politically correct mindset is, IMO, the reason why we have such a high crime rate.

1. How is not killing someone violating anyone's rights?

2. Since execution is not a deterrent, how could not doing it contribute to crime rate rises over keeping someone locked up for life in prison?

It's like talking to a wall. A wall with the brain of a 12-year old conservative who only watches FoxNews and Davey and Goliath all day long . . .

1. How is not killing someone violating anyone's rights?

2. Since execution is not a deterrent, how could not doing it contribute to crime rate rises over keeping someone locked up for life in prison?

It's like talking to a wall. A wall with the brain of a 12-year old conservative who only watches FoxNews and Davey and Goliath all day long . . .

Wow, you really do know nothing about me. Ok, what is Davey and Goliath? I really have never really heard of it, think my mom watched it when she was a toddler. And Fox News is a balancned news network, their good, but I dont waste my time tuning into them.

How is not killing them violating anyone's right? Well, for one thing, I dont think we should let killers get free room and bored for the rest of their days for one.

Execution, I think if we actually used it more, and actually pursued criminals more, we'd have less crime. Criminals know that liberals are out to make their job easier. With gun control, no death penalty, and the liberals going after those who try to defned themselves, its almost as if the liberals are removing the roadblocks for criminals. Plus, if you kill someone in cold blood, the heck with ya.

Last edited:
I agree with The_Real_Mr_Sawyer. I really think it does have a lot to do with the high crime rate now. I mean...what do they REALLY have to be afraid of anymore?

I think people would be less inclined to kill each other if they knew a public hanging or death by electrocution were the options of consequence.

Lethal injection...way to wimp out. By the time they actually carry out the execution, the condemned are so sedated that they don't know what's going on. They don't KNOW they're dying.

For the record, if you were referring to me, you've underestimated my age by more than half a decade. Also, I don't think Davey and Goliath comes on TV anymore. We do have Morel Orel, though. :p

The best way to judge a society is by how it treats its least wanted members. That would be criminals and poor people. We live in a civlized society.

Forgive me, but associating criminals with poor people as the least wanted members of society? Are they equivalent? Seems to me they deserve different treatments.

I think people would be less inclined to kill each other if they knew a public hanging or death by electrocution were the options of consequence

Well, if we're going to have public executions, why not make them the equivalent of the Super Bowl? Advertisers would pay millions for 30-second spots before the execution. Just think of the economic benefits! Better yet, instead of hanging, electrocuting them or pumping fatal drugs into them, why not have them fight as gladiators? Talk about the ultimate reality show! The ratings would be killer!

Umm. Yeah that does sound like the "Bread and Circuses" episode of Star Trek: TOS.

Last edited:
I agree with The_Real_Mr_Sawyer. I really think it does have a lot to do with the high crime rate now. I mean...what do they REALLY have to be afraid of anymore?

I think people would be less inclined to kill each other if they knew a public hanging or death by electrocution were the options of consequence.

Lethal injection...way to wimp out. By the time they actually carry out the execution, the condemned are so sedated that they don't know what's going on. They don't KNOW they're dying.

For the record, if you were referring to me, you've underestimated my age by more than half a decade. Also, I don't think Davey and Goliath comes on TV anymore. We do have Morel Orel, though. :p

Exactly, yes, innocent people do get executed, and that is a shame. But inocent people also die from crime. Heck, we've lost more people to crime in this country than we have to the war. All the liberals want to do is to ban guns, yeah, thats only gonna stop people defending themselves. You think bank robbers and gang members are really going to listen to gun laws? We gotta crack down on crime, and stop treating the criminals so nicely. Sure, you dont want to execute EVERY killer, but there are certain ones that you have to.

I'm sick of the liberals want to take away your guns bullshit the NRA puts out. Fuck the NRA.

Back on topic. What purpose does the death penalty have except making another corpse. If anything I would think it would make the situation worse because death penalty criminals may decided to deprive the state the privilage and go for suicide by cop or something else desperate that could endanger innocent people.

The Big Al said:
What purpose does the death penalty have except making another corpse.

1. Punishment for a serious crime.
2. Prevention of the same individual committing a crime at a later date.
3. A warning to potential criminals encouraging them to stay on the straight and narrow.

Argh. AGAIN:

1. Punishment for a serious crime.
2. Prevention of the same individual committing a crime at a later date.

Life in prison accomplishes this.

3. A warning to potential criminals encouraging them to stay on the straight and narrow.

The death penalty doesn't do this, as many many many studies have shown.

Gravity of the death penalty doesn't come into play when they commit the crime. It comes into play when they hear the sirens.

Zeta said:
Life in prison accomplishes this.

Not really. You would be right...if we still had places like Alcatraz. Of course now we have to pamper our law-breakers because it's humane; they deserve it, they're only criminals. :lol:

Zeta said:
The death penalty doesn't do this, as many many many studies have shown.

What studies? Can you post a link to back up your statement? :/

Gravity of the death penalty doesn't come into play when they commit the crime. It comes into play when they hear the sirens.

I disagree. I think I could kill a man a little easier if I knew I was going to be thrown into an institution for the rest of my life rather than fry in front of an audience.

Hmmmmm, its laughable how far people go to make it so criminals dont die, but those who are an inconvenience, such as those who need extensive medical treatment, unwanted unborn children, they dont need to be protected, cause unlike murderers, they dont have any rights, even though they are just as human.

Its enough, people care too much about criminals. People need to stop caring what happens to criminals and start caring what happens to us. Look, we give them bullet proof vests so no screwball takes them out. What, we're protecting them more than we protect our own people anymore? Why should they get special treatment?

Hmmmmm, its laughable how far people go to make it so criminals dont die, but those who are an inconvenience, such as those who need extensive medical treatment, unwanted unborn children, they dont need to be protected, cause unlike murderers, they dont have any rights, even though they are just as human.

Its enough, people care too much about criminals. People need to stop caring what happens to criminals and start caring what happens to us. Look, we give them bullet proof vests so no screwball takes them out. What, we're protecting them more than we protect our own people anymore? Why should they get special treatment?

So it's ok for me to kill someone, as long as he's suspected of murder? Even if I'm just killing him for the sake of killing someone? For the sake of seeing someone in their death throes? Seeing the life drain from their eyes? It's ok, then?

Hmmmmm, its laughable how far people go to make it so criminals dont die,
The Death Penalty is cruel and unusual. And it leaves no chance for the wrongly convicted.
but those who are an inconvenience, such as those who need extensive medical treatment, unwanted unborn children,
1. There's a difference between extensive and insane. And I'd say half of the brain being liquified counts as dead.
2. For the last fucking time. I'm against abortion. However, I won't impose my personal (and religious) views on others.
they dont need to be protected, cause unlike murderers, they dont have any rights, even though they are just as human.
The murderers aren't the only ones facing the death penalty. How many times must I say it. INNOCENT PEOPLE ARE BEING PUT TO DEATH BY THE STATE FOR CRIMES THEY DIDN'T COMMIT! Would you really like to fry, hang, suffocate, get shot, be poisoned, or whatever just because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time?
Because in this country you are innocent until proven guilty. It's one of the foundations for our society. Trust me, you would not like the alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom