• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
Re: New Type or Alterations to Type Chart?

What's pitiful is Ice only resists itself.....

Ok, I surrender. They must pay more attention to the meta than I thought to target Dragon, Dark, and Fighting, though. It's nice Poison gets another use other than picking on Grass types again. I suppose having more fun with Steel is good too.

I also like that Psychic and Fire have gotten some love. Psychics were godmode in Gen I but I think they may have been a bit overnerfed with the introduction of Steel, Dark, and massive buffs to Bug and Ghost.

Could someone share the link to WPM's source?? I am unsure if I have yet seen his speculations.

So, remember how I based a lot of my argument for a Love & Sound type on the new legendaries being based on Greek myth, rather than the Norse myth a lot of people pinned their hopes on?

The official romanization of the region's name is Kalos. The word kalos (καλός) is Greek, and means "beautiful". Kalos inscriptions were a form of epigraph found on Attic vases and graffiti in antiquity, mainly during the Classical period from 550 to 450 BC, and typically had erotic connotations.

I wouldn't count Love type out of the race of possibilities yet. Even if some of the info posted by these other fansites has panned out, contradictory information like the type resistances and weaknesses suggests that the type information in those could well be flawed.

Well, now that these rumors seem to be coming true, I gotta say I don't like the sound of the fairy type at all. Not the name or the idea of it, just it's supposed resistances. They just make zero sense to me, and it still seems way too "god-mode"

Could someone share the link to WPM's source?? I am unsure if I have yet seen his speculations.

It's the last two posts on the site.
Pok

Thank you. I remember seeing all that information now, and i was highly skeptical about that information. I definitely do not like that Fairy is messing with my Dragon type. However, considering he did give us correct information on the English Pokemon's names, then it is quite likely the rest of the information is also correct. Do we know who reveals this information to him??

Why do we need a new type? is the type chart unbalanced? if it is, then how? I personally wouldn't like to see a new type unless there was an extremely good reason for it.

Why do we need a new type? is the type chart unbalanced? if it is, then how? I personally wouldn't like to see a new type unless there was an extremely good reason for it.

Do we need new moves? Do we need new abilities? Do we need new features? Do we need anything? If we all had that mentality then I don't think we would get anything at all.

My god, if Game Freak wants to introduce a new type then let them do it.

From all the discussion I can see the concept behind Fairy, and the utility of giving Steel and Poison something else to be SE against. Other details still look pretty sketchy to me (immune to Dragon? Ice weak to five elements and still resists only itself?).

Do we need new moves? Do we need new abilities? Do we need new features? Do we need anything? If we all had that mentality then I don't think we would get anything at all.

My god, if Game Freak wants to introduce a new type then let them do it.

Not saying they shouldn't, they can do whatever the hell they want. Though there should be a good reason for doing so. Granted, I haven't read the rest of this thread, but the main perception I get from the fanbase is "wouldn't be cool if they made an X type?" Which leads me to ask Why? Why would it be good to have x type? a new type should help fix inadequacy of the type chart not to please the fanbase.

Not saying they shouldn't, they can do whatever the hell they want. Though there should be a good reason for doing so. Granted, I haven't read the rest of this thread, but the main perception I get from the fanbase is "wouldn't be cool if they made an X type?" Which leads me to ask Why? Why would it be good to have x type? a new type should help fix inadequacy of the type chart not to please the fanbase.

Not to please the fanbase? Isn't that the point though? Happy fans=more sales=money. Besides the type chart was getting unbalanced with types like Dragon and Fighting dominating.

Last edited:

From all the discussion I can see the concept behind Fairy, and the utility of giving Steel and Poison something else to be SE against. Other details still look pretty sketchy to me (immune to Dragon? Ice weak to five elements and still resists only itself?).

Dragon does need to be rung in though, it's been the dominant typing for quite a while so something else to keep it in check is always nice.

As for Ice, it's GF's personal punching bag for typings.

The new Fairy Type slots right in perfectly, it's as if they'd planned this all along ever since Gen 2 and its Fairy Egg Group.

- Fairy's mythical weakness to Iron (hence Steel)
- Fairies as the protectors of Forest (representing life) has a weakness to Poison (representation of external pollution)

and then half-ass logic that nobody's really gonna complain about:

- Dragon power treated as inferior to Fairies, in many artistic portrayal of Dragons are usually guardians/pets of Fairies
- Fairy represents light as opposed to darkness/evil, and wherever light reaches, darkness disappears

And then application-wise, it puts Dragons down and ups the usage of Poison.

But someone please explain to me how it is strong against Ice and weak to Fighting?

I wouldn't count Love type out of the race of possibilities yet. Even if some of the info posted by these other fansites has panned out, contradictory information like the type resistances and weaknesses suggests that the type information in those could well be flawed.
At this point it seems more reasonable to assume that the source forgot about Fairy's advantage over Ice. If they have access to privileged information like Pokémon names, why would they lie about other details?

The official romanization of the region's name is Kalos. The word kalos (καλός) is Greek, and means "beautiful". Kalos inscriptions were a form of epigraph found on Attic vases and graffiti in antiquity, mainly during the Classical period from 550 to 450 BC, and typically had erotic connotations.
I think that Kalos' description is more notable: "Your adventure in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y takes place in the Kalos region, home to beautiful skies and forests! The mysterious Kalos region is shaped intriguingly like a star."

Fairy's connection to forests is obvious, but that is not the case as far as skies or stars are concerned. Also, it's no secret that Xerneas is linked to forests while Yveltal is linked to the skies. If forests are now represented by two types (Grass and Fairy), could that be the case for the sky, as well? There is still no proof that Hiro is correct about Xerneas and Yveltal's types, and I find it hard to believe that the version mascots would be so asymmetrical (with Xerneas only have one type that is effective against Yveltal's alleged Dark type).

Last edited:

- Fairy represents light as opposed to darkness/evil, and wherever light reaches, darkness disappears

Yeah, no. I agree with the other points, but this one makes no sense.

Fairy might not be weak against fighting. In fact, the fighting guy put sylveon in a giant can and she was unable to free herself. It was a can, so it may in fact hint a steel weakness.

Yeah, no. I agree with the other points, but this one makes no sense.

Lol hence I kinda made a disclaimer "half-ass logic" :p I would love to hear a more viable logic on this though, because honestly Flying>Fighting still doesn't make a lot of sense to me :S

@vivian20 Hmm I never saw the giant can that way, that's a brilliant suggestion you have there. I thought it was WWE. So I'm guessing Sylveon can hold her own against Fighting Type (with nun-chucks,) so the Fighting guy decided to change tactics and Steel-can/whatever-the-can's-meant-to-represent her instead--- would be the implication here, eh...

I'd assume flying>fighting is because well...just think of a professional wrestler trying to take down an eagle.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom