• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How will Pokemon X & Y impact the Anime? - UPDATE: Begins October!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The writers have run out of personalities for the main girls. They only really developed two unique personalities which came in Misty and May.

After that Dawn and Iris came across as "new versions" of May and Misty. Dawn was almost May 2.0 and Iris was like Misty 2.0.

So where do we go from here? May 3.0 and Misty 3.0?

I can see why Iris would be considered Misty 2.0 when they have more similarities compared to the other female characters, but there are still enough differences between their personalities where I don't think of them all the time. I really don't see Dawn as May 2.0 though. They had the same role, but had different personalities and their Contest arcs were handled completely different. Acting like they can only make two personalities for the female characters, while all of the secondary male characters have had different personalities, really bothers me.

The Fighting Misty said:
You know what I mean. Yes their personalities are different but they also share a ton of similarities. It isn't just the coordinator or Gym thing either.

A lot of Dawn's general mannerisms and likes/dislikes were practically identical to things May did back in AG. Iris on the other hand has a lot of similarities with Misty. Yes they are different but everyone compared them constantly.

Their personalities being different wouldn't really make them new versions of Misty or May. Having similarities doesn't mean that they can only write two kinds of female leads either and being compared with them often doesn't make them clones either. It just means that people notice the similarities and compare/contrast them.

The Fighting Misty said:
But in a TV show its just too similar. Before Dawn was introduced I remember people saying May was too similar to Ash due to how she was in early Hoenn and her love of food. Then when Dawn came everyone said she was similar to Ash because her personality was a lot like his, but Dawn still has a lot of similarities to May.

Seriously am I the only one who remembers this back in the AG and DP days?

May didn't remind me much of Ash in early Hoenn. She was much more forgetful of basic attacks than Ash ever was and loving food like Ash isn't really much of a similarity to make me think she was a female version of Ash. I can think of quite a few female characters who like food too, so that isn't something simply associated with male characters anyway. Dawn reminded me more of a female version of Ash, especially when Piplup basically took up Pikachu's role in her team, but she still wasn't exactly like Ash and she definitely didn't remind me a lot of May. Even if the female lead is like May or Dawn, I'd honestly be okay with that. At least she'd probably be likable enough for me and actually make believable development and progress in her goal.

If the Fairy-type gym leader is a young girl, I'd wager that she will join Ash at the expense of the female player character, who looks even older than Hilda does. Promoting a new type would make more sense than Best Wishes focusing on Dragon ever did.

If the Fairy-type gym leader is a young girl, I'd wager that she will join Ash at the expense of the female player character, who looks even older than Hilda does. Promoting a new type would make more sense than Best Wishes focusing on Dragon ever did.
It would be a funny coincidence, with Best Wishes focusing on Dragon types, if XY focused on Fairy type - especially since Fairy type is allegedly super effective against Dragon types. I guess we all know what it'd mean if the new girl got to battle Iris. :p

It would be a funny coincidence, with Best Wishes focusing on Dragon types, if XY focused on Fairy type - especially since Fairy type is allegedly super effective against Dragon types. I guess we all know what it'd mean if the new girl got to battle Iris. :p
Don't be silly; Iris would still win due to being the Unova Champion.

Don't be silly, Iris would still win due to being the Unova Champion.
And yet as much as I'd love to see Iris in her Champion clothes, I wouldn't like it if she became the Champion.

Not that fast at least.

But what concerns me more is, if Fairy type rumor is indeed true, how would they go about that type in XY? Would it be treated as if it was just discovered? Perhaps a reason for Ash to go to Kalos? And if Pokémon such as Clefairy as retyped to Fairy, how would that be explained?

But what concerns me more is, if Fairy type rumor is indeed true, how would they go about that type in XY? Would it be treated as if it was just discovered? Perhaps a reason for Ash to go to Kalos? And if Pokémon such as Clefairy as retyped to Fairy, how would that be explained?
The new type could be treated as a new discovery. Fairies may have always been part of Kalos' folklore, but it is conceivable that their existence was shrouded with mystery until recently. As for existing Pokémon like Clefairy, their real powers may have been dormant until a recent event. That same event might also be responsible for the new bonding system in the games. Speaking of which, I could also see a new character promoting that feature.

I think they've still to this day done a bad job showing the uniqueness of Steel and Dark types (Ash's constant terrible usage of Iron Tail for example) - so I can't see a new type introduction being handled well.

Regardless of how it was treated in the games, I don't think the anime even regarded the Steel and Dark type with much ceremony, not even with Magnemite/ton's retcon. I don't understand why people feel like it needs to be treated like a recent discovery at all. Just because it was not in previous generations. I don't think the anime will care regardless.

Interesting observation, but that'd require the anime to care much about type advantages, which it doesn't. :p

As for Fairy's introduction as compared to steel and dark... those two weren't revealed with that much focus, whereas the theoretical fairy type seems to be getting somewhat more attention, what with the very highly promoted Eeveelution and the possible legendary. So we can expect the anime to focus a bit more on it as well. I can see it being Ash's reason for going to Kalos, too, since someone mentioned it.

In the first Whirl Island episode, I believe Professor Elm basically mentioned that the Steel-type was newly discovered and left it at that. Dark-type never got that explanation as I recall.

Fairy-type really doesn't need any more explanation than that, imo. Just accept it like the fact they "discovered" 100 new Pokemon living right next door in Gen II, and since then it's obvious the "only 150!" excuse was bullshit.

I really hope not. I don't want Ash traveling with two characters who are Gym Leaders in the games again. I'd much rather see them go back to a female co-star than continue with another female sidekick. The new female trainer doesn't look older than Hilda does. She looks a bit younger to me, but either way, it doesn't matter when they could just easily make her look slightly younger for the anime. If there is indeed a Fairy type, I don't really see them going out of their way to make it look special because of being a new type. They didn't do much with Steel types, despite how it recton the Magamite line. They just said that it was a newly discovered type and left it at that. I imagine that a Fairy type would get something like that at best. Either that, or they would just accept that another group of a hundred or so Pokemon have always been around in another region like they've done with every new generation.

Silktree said:
Don't be silly; Iris would still win due to being the Unova Champion.

She's only the Unova Champion in the games and I don't see her actually becoming the Champion after she leaves the cast. If the new female trainer does have Fairy types, they could show how effective this type is against Dragons, assuming that both the Fairy type and the information around its strengths and weaknesses are true.

The new female trainer doesn't look older than Hilda does. She looks a bit younger to me,
A height comparison of the male player characters clearly shows that the new characters are the oldest yet. See here:

Height.png

but either way, it doesn't matter when they could just easily make her look slightly younger for the anime.
The difference would be very noticeable if they de-aged her to 10. She looks older than Brock and Cilan do.

If there is indeed a Fairy type, I don't really see them going out of their way to make it look special because of being a new type. They didn't do much with Steel types, despite how it recton the Magamite line.
The franchise was still at its infancy; the addition of new types didn't necessarily stand out compared to all the other new features in Generation II since everything was unexpected. This time, we're dealing with changing a type chart that has remained fixed for 14 years. I'd be surprised if they didn't treat it as a big deal.

Last edited:
A height comparison of the male player characters clearly shows that the new characters are the oldest yet. See here:

View attachment 87399

The male trainer does look tall, but I don't think that the female trainer looks as tall to me.

Silktree said:
The difference would be very noticeable if they de-aged her to 10. She looks older than Brock and Cilan do.

I wouldn't go that far. I think that Brock is suppose to be fifteen, although I'm not sure if that was just fan speculation on his age or if it was ever mentioned in the show. If that is the case, I don't think that she looks older than fifteen. She and the male trainer look around fourteen to me at most. They could just make her slightly shorter to make her look younger, which wouldn't be that bad. Though, using the female character really depends on if there is a sidequest in the games, be it Contests or something completely new, that they could use the female character to participate it. I really hope that they'll go that route since I really don't want to see another female sidekick character after Iris. They could still give her Fairy type Pokemon to promote the new line. That would probably happen anyway since I imagine that some Fairy type Pokemon would look traditionally cute that would fit more for a female trainer than with Ash, so they wouldn't necessarily need the Gym Leader of this supposed Fairy type to promote them or make them into a big deal.

Silktree said:
The franchise was still at its infancy; the addition of new types didn't necessarily stand out compared to all the other new features in Generation II since everything was unexpected. This time, we're dealing with changing a type chart that has remained fixed for 14 years. I'd be surprised if they didn't treat it as a big deal.

That is a good point about how a change in the type chart hasn't happened for so long, but I don't think that they'll make that much of a bigger deal about a new type if it does happen. Steel and Dark types didn't stand out as much when there weren't a lot of those introduced in the second generation and there were other features that stood out in that generation, but they still didn't make a big deal about two new types compared to just seeing a bunch of brand new Pokemon.

I really don't think those artworks are meant to be within the same scale as one another, not to mention it's probably a result of the art style evolution more so.

I never really felt that the BW Protagonists were older either, despite that brief mention of it...in CoroCoro? Actually I don't recall where that "older PCs" came from. It didn't really effect anything anyway.

The male trainer does look tall, but I don't think that the female trainer looks as tall to me.
She is not supposed to be tall as her male counterpart is, but she is supposed to be the same age. I could make a height comparison of the female player characters, which would show similar results. But I think that the point has been made.

She and the male trainer look around fourteen to me at most.
14? The boy is almost as tall as N is. 17 would be my assumption.

Tendou Soujirou said:
I really don't think those artworks are meant to be within the same scale as one another,
Why not? N, Ethan and Lucas have confirmed heights, and the comparison reflects that.

not to mention it's probably a result of the art style evolution more so.
So the art style evolved in a year to make the new character look noticeably taller than Nate does? It's pretty noticeable even without the direct comparison.

I never really felt that the BW Protagonists were older either, despite that brief mention of it...in CoroCoro? Actually I don't recall where that "older PCs" came from.
Yes, it was stated by CoroCoro. It's also really obvious just by looking at Bianca and Cheren in the anime.

Maybe it's obvious by appearance, but I never felt it actually mattered whatsoever...the characters didn't act any more mature than previous "10-year old" characters, but then again the 10-year old characters look older and act more mature when compared to real-life 10 year olds anyway.

And yes, the art-style looks clearly different than Nate and Hilberts. Just like there was a change between Pt's Lucas and HG/SS' Ethan, with the latter switching to a more streamlined, taller look while Lucas embodies the older "short and stubby" look that was even more prominent in the RBY-GSC era.

I think XY's dude is probably older, but I really doubt he's actually meant to be seriously dwarfing everyone else like that.

Maybe it's obvious by appearance, but I never felt it actually mattered whatsoever...the characters didn't act any more mature than previous "10-year old" characters, but then again the 10-year old characters look older and act more mature when compared to real-life 10 year olds anyway.
Are you talking about Hilbert and Hilda? You know that it's impossible to judge their personalities. Cheren and Bianca definitely acted older, if only for the fact that they were so concerned with their future careers.

And yes, the art-style looks clearly different than Nate and Hilberts. Just like there was a change between Pt's Lucas and HG/SS' Ethan, with the latter switching to a more streamlined, taller look while Lucas embodies the older "short and stubby" look that was even more prominent in the RBY-GSC era.
"Short and stubby"? I definitely don't see that for any of the designs since Generation III. As for Lucas looking shorter than Ethan, that's quite deliberate; Lucas' height is 1.43m while Ethan's is 1.5m, which should make Ethan at least a year older.

I think XY's dude is probably older, but I really doubt he's actually meant to be seriously dwarfing everyone else like that.
Then they shouldn't have designed him like that.

She is not supposed to be tall as her male counterpart is, but she is supposed to be the same age. I could make a height comparison of the female player characters, which would show similar results. But I think that the point has been made.

They are suppose to be the same age, but I still don't think that they look that older. Have their ages even been mentioned yet?

Silktree said:
14? The boy is almost as tall as N is. 17 would be my assumption.

They don't look anywhere close to seventeen to me. Being tall doesn't necessarily mean that they're older either and I think it is possible that their height has more to do with the evolving art style than their actual ages. Even if they are suppose to be older, as long as there is a sidequest in this generation, I don't see the problem in making them look slightly younger. Bianca was about the same age as the B/W playable trainers and she was still included in the anime, even though they drastically changed her personality for the worst in my opinion. A playable character wouldn't have that short of issue when the writers would have to develop her personality from the ground up, so either way, I don't see the problem here.

They don't look anywhere close to seventeen to me.
The male player character doesn't look a lot younger than N does, but this is subjective.

Being tall doesn't necessarily mean that they're older either and I think it is possible that their height has more to do with the evolving art style than their actual ages.
So are all the other new characters also going to look taller due to this allegedly new style?

Bianca was about the same age as the B/W playable trainers and she was still included in the anime, even though they drastically changed her personality for the worst in my opinion.
Bianca wasn't de-aged; if anything, she looked taller in the anime than I would have expected.

as long as there is a sidequest in this generation, I don't see the problem in making them look slightly younger.
There was a sidequest in the Black and White games. It didn't involve any form of battling, but neither did the in-game Contests and yet the writers made them work. Judging from the Marcatus episode, I think that the anime Musicals could have easily been complemented by Rotation and/or Triple Battles had the writers put their minds to it. Whatever the writers' problem was with the post-Contest sidequests, there is no guarantee that they will want to adapt the next sidequest.

Last edited:
The PCs might be getting progressively taller, but like Hidden Mew I don't think they actually look significantly older- mainly, their faces look pretty much the same as the previous PCs. Maybe the gen 5-6 PCs are a couple years older than the 1-4 PCs, but 17 seems ridiculous. Also, keep in mind that the games have gone from being japan-based to being based on western countries, and that western characters in japanese works tend to be stereotypically on the tall side, for whatever that's worth.

That being said, if they didn't want to de-age Hilda and Rosa for the anime, it's unlikely they'll do so for XY's girl, though that's assuming they avoided using the BW girls for that reason and not just because they felt like using Iris.

Personally, I'd like to see them do something completely new for the companions- either base them off different sorts of characters than usual or go for completely original characters. Just 'cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom