• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
We don't know if Sylveon's not stronger then Gardevior, for all we know it shares Espeon's Spatk stat (which beats Gardevior's). Collectively, Hydreigon's defense stats beats out Salamence's, having 10 more Spdef and only loses 3 HP. Granted, this is not much
Indeed, it is not much at all. And I ran the calculations for Gardevoir and Hydreigon, anyway.

but it adds up when you start to factor in things like EVs, IVs and natures.
It doesn't make sense that Hydreigon would be given such high investment in Special Defense, especially given that its HP was at the bare minimum. The video was supposed to make the Fairy type look good.

we don't know the strength of the attacks, it's entirely possible that Fairy Wind as a low BP
A base power of 40 is obscenely low, and the calculation was based on that.

Indeed, it is not much at all. And I ran the calculations for Gardevoir and Hydreigon, anyway.

Never said it wasn't.

It doesn't make sense that Hydreigon would be given such high investment in Special Defense, especially given that its HP was at the bare minimum. The video was supposed to make the Fairy type look good.

And it did, it certainly was impressive taking down two dragons and hitting one for massive damage.

A base power of 40 is obscenely low, and the calculation was based on that.

Like I said, I'm trying to look at all the variables. I don't know all the details behind that battle since it was just a scene in the trailer so I'm just leaving the option open. If it's strong against Dark, so be it, same if it isn't.

Last edited:
And it did, it certainly was impressive taking down two dragons and hitting one for massive damage.
I wouldn't call less than two thirds of Hydreigon's HP massive damage. The fact that Sylveon OHKOed the other dragons just makes it all more unlikely that Gardevoir would have been given a really weak attack, or that Hydreigon would have been made so defensive.

I wonder if the previous rumour about the Lake Trio being Fairies will turn out to be true as well.

The lake trio's Japanese names-- Yuxie (pixie), Emrit (sprite), and Agnome (gnome)-- suggest that they are meant to be fairy-like pokemon, just like Clefairy's line. I'd be surprised if these pokemon don't turn out to be Psychic/Fairy in Gen VI.

I wouldn't call less than two thirds of Hydreigon's HP massive damage. The fact that Sylveon OHKOed the other dragons

With a powerful attack that's completely different from Fairy Wind, if it was Moonblast I wouldn't be having this conversation.

just makes it all more unlikely that Gardevoir would have been given a really weak attack, or that Hydreigon would have been made so defensive.

And it's still not conclusive, I don't think it has a great likelihood either I'll admit but at the same time I'm not going to pretend the variables aren't there to manipulate.

No one said that it was conclusive proof. But some people are still treating the PokéBeach rumors as infallible, which is silly at this point.

No one said that it was conclusive proof. But some people are still treating the PokéBeach rumors as infallible, which is silly at this point.

Which I do agree, I'm not going to pretend that this rumor is completely right at this moment because there have been cases where parts of the rumor is false, I'm just giving it a bit more wiggle room in this area because there's some leeway to be taken. For the most part though I'm just taking the rumor passively, it's been impressive how right it's been but I'm not going to worship it as the next prophecy.

Dark isn't so OP that it needs another check, though I won't be stressed if it turns out to be weak to Fairy.

All I really really REALLY want to be true of the PokeBeach rumor is Fairy being weak to Poison. Some time ago I came to really like Poison Pokemon, but it's frustrating how nerfed they are (two prevalent weaknesses, completely resisted by Steel, and its one strength is checked better by other types). But think about it; if Fairy is weak to Poison, that alone would give the typing a huge usability boost. Everyone wants to protect their previous Dragons; sure, there will probably be other types to check Fairy, but just by having such a big strength would still help Poison a lot.

Dark isn't so OP that it needs another check, though I won't be stressed if it turns out to be weak to Fairy.

All I really really REALLY want to be true of the PokeBeach rumor is Fairy being weak to Poison. Some time ago I came to really like Poison Pokemon, but it's frustrating how nerfed they are (two prevalent weaknesses, completely resisted by Steel, and its one strength is checked better by other types). But think about it; if Fairy is weak to Poison, that alone would give the typing a huge usability boost. Everyone wants to protect their previous Dragons; sure, there will probably be other types to check Fairy, but just by having such a big strength would still help Poison a lot.

In addition:

One of the problems with Ice types is that many dragons have a wide movepool that usually includes at least one Fire type move (even if it's just Fire Fang,) so they can check Ice themselves. This is part of why a Water type with an Ice move is generally preferred to an Ice type. Water types have less weaknesses to exploit.

On the other hand, finding a non-Pokemon with access to offensive Poison type moves is relatively difficult. Finding one who is actually a good Pokemon in their own right is even more difficult. I don't know how many Dragons can learn Sludge Bomb or Gunk Shot, but I imagine not many.

Where am I going with this?

The point I'm trying to make is that, if Fairy is indeed weak to Poison (and resisted by Poison,) Dragon users would be heavily compelled to include a Poison type on their teams, which is a major selling point that Ice just does not have the luxury to get.
Or they could just spam Scizor's Bullet Punch and exploit the Steel weakness.

What I want to know is why Fairy-type is super effective against Dragon-type. Nonetheless, good to see a new type. Excited to see where this takes us.

What I want to know is why Fairy-type is super effective against Dragon-type. Nonetheless, good to see a new type. Excited to see where this takes us.
My best guess would be a magic vs. magic ordeal. Both types are creatures that are commonly included in fiction, folk tales, etc.

I'm sure there's more reasoning behind it though.

To me, it just feels like its about defeating a "mystical" and "legendary" type with something equally "mystical" and "legendary." Dragons and Fairies do have a connection to folk tales and European myths, much more so than the more sci-fi elements (psychic and arguably ghost,) the more mundane ones (Fighting and Bug,) or the Greek classical ones (Fire, Water, Grass, Flying, arguably Electric, Ice, Ground, Rock, and Steel if you want to count them all as subcategories of the traditional Earth/Water/Wind/Fire chain.)

Both being linked to European mythology (specifically Celtic and German,) they correlate to each other better than the Greek elements, physics, or pseudo sciences.

I can understand the reason behind why they would make a new type to try and check some imbalances, but have you guys every thought they made ice imbalanced on purpose and have no desire to change it. If that chart were truly fair, that would take much of the strategy out of it. If they specifically designed ice to be the "glass-cannon type" I don't particularly understand why they would go out of their way to give in any resistances. Just because you like it doesn't mean it shouldn't suck.

And calling it light or holy types does not seem to fit what they are going for here; and I think fairy works better than magic, because of the mythical parallel that it entails with dragon and ghost.

My best guess would be a magic vs. magic ordeal. Both types are creatures that are commonly included in fiction, folk tales, etc.

I'm sure there's more reasoning behind it though.

Yeah, never thought of that. Good point.

To me, it just feels like its about defeating a "mystical" and "legendary" type with something equally "mystical" and "legendary." Dragons and Fairies do have a connection to folk tales and European myths, much more so than the more sci-fi elements (psychic and arguably ghost,) the more mundane ones (Fighting and Bug,) or the Greek classical ones (Fire, Water, Grass, Flying, arguably Electric, Ice, Ground, Rock, and Steel if you want to count them all as subcategories of the traditional Earth/Water/Wind/Fire chain.)

Both being linked to European mythology (specifically Celtic and German,) they correlate to each other better than the Greek elements, physics, or pseudo sciences.

Well considering the games are based on France... you make a good point.

And calling it light or holy types does not seem to fit what they are going for here; and I think fairy works better than magic, because of the mythical parallel that it entails with dragon and ghost.

Definitely. The Dragon-, Fairy-, and Ghost-types can be easily used to encompass any mythical being from any culture into the franchise. Now that I think about it it'd be a good idea to have Fairy interact in some way with the Ghost-type. I can be justified by lore and it would help differentiate the Ghost-type from the Dark-type.

Last edited:
Here's a crazy idea. If we assume that Youkai are similar enough to Fairies to be considered their eastern equivalent, it's possible that we'll get some Youkai-based Fairies in the future.

Also, how about some of the Youkai Pokemon that already exist gaining a Fairy subtype? Obviously things like Espeon (an Eeveelution) and Shiftry (already dual typed) are highly unlikely, but what about things like Ninetales and Zoroark?

Wouldn't it be cool if Ninetales became a Fire/Fairy type (although that might severely affect the metagame, taking Drought into account,) or Zoroark became Dark/Fairy? I know these are unlikely retcons, but still, it's something to think about.

I'm curious to see which Pokémon get a type added, or changed, now that we have Fairy-type.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom