• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mega Evolution

What is your favorite Mega Evolution?

• Total voters
Didn't we already know that Mega Evolution has priority based on the demo footage with Mega Mewtwo?

No, because Mewtwo has 130 Base Speed, so was naturally faster than every Pokemon it faced. (Same Speed as Crobat, but it could have had a Speed neutral/lowering nature for all we knew). The difference here is that Ampharos was slower (in Trick Room) than Slowbro and Gogoat, so it Mega Evolved and then attacked later in the turn after they had. Different situations.

So, have we talked about the fact that Mega Ampharos may be Mini-Zekrom? A mold breaker, electric/dragon that, according to recent interviews, is on the same level as a legendary (paraphrasing).

The cool thing is, Ampharos can Mega Evolve at the start of a turn, tank hits from any Electric, Steel, Flying, Fire, Water and Grass moves and then smack them back, due to its type change. But it would have to watch for Ice, Dragon and Fairy moves being used, aswell as Ground of course. Mold Breaker doesn't sound too useful, but there's always going to be certain situations where it will be handy. Plus that fluffy, wool hair!

Mawile just got a whole lot more interesting now that it can Mega Evolve at the start of a turn, tank hits with its increased defences, then hit back with Huge Power Attack.

I'm much more excited for this feature now we know that Mega Evolving has priority!

I was just referring to Mega Ampharos' current status. Since we can't really know what it will fully be updated with until it's either fully leaked or the game's released it's interesting that it has all of the, let's say, "outer" stats of Zekrom. Those being typing and ability (since their abilities are essentially the same). Obviously Zekrom is currently at another level with movepool and stats, but we don't yet know what M Ampharos will look like in that regard.

Like Stunfisk, iirc, is pretty popular in Japan as is Vanilluxe, but most of the Western fanbase seems to despise them.
This is off-topic, but are you Japanese? Who are you to say or even know what pokemon are popular in Japan? Can you read Japanese in order to participate on their forums?
/endrant

Stunfisk is popular in Japan, just ask @sunyshore; (sorry for the tag) who I'm sure has posted before about how crazily popular it is.

Also, Karpi, you might want to be less antagonistic towards people. It's quite unnecessary.

someone can know if a pokemon was popular in japan without living here or being japanese.

anyway, what they speak is truth. マッギョずかん・Stunfisk "Pokedex"

but as for piplup...it seemed they tried to make it popular, but it never seemed to be a big seller here. its stuff is STILL left over on some shelves @_@

The bold part i impossible and doesn'0t make sense. Piplup was very popular in DP. That you are focused on electric doesn't mean that Piplup is unpopular. Piplup wasn't made as a mascot when it was known to be very popular. I think that you are referring to Axew, who is not so popular in japan.

Rememeber that I talked about (specially) DP Piplup's popularity. In DP, that thing was so popular that I think I had special category in popularity (usually only has Pikachu). In BW could be different because when the main merch of Piplup (that represent Dawn) was out, Dawn already left.

About Stunfisk. I think that he was very popular in Season 1 (when you posted this), but in Season 2 his popularity (and of any Cilan pokemon) has been down a lot. In Season 1, it was in the Top 12 (if not Top 10) most promoted pokemon in Japan (which for him, it's a lot), only surpassed by Piakchu, Snivy, Tepig (with I have doubts), Oshawott, Reshiram, Zekrom, Victini and Emolga. Maybe Minccino, Pansage, Axew and Scraggy.

And Oshawott is the most popular BW pokemon, for your matter.

Last edited:
Like Stunfisk, iirc, is pretty popular in Japan as is Vanilluxe, but most of the Western fanbase seems to despise them.
This is off-topic, but are you Japanese? Who are you to say or even know what pokemon are popular in Japan? Can you read Japanese in order to participate on their forums?
/endrant

Stunfisk is popular in Japan, just ask @sunyshore; (sorry for the tag) who I'm sure has posted before about how crazily popular it is.

Also, Karpi, you might want to be less antagonistic towards people. It's quite unnecessary.

someone can know if a pokemon was popular in japan without living here or being japanese.

anyway, what they speak is truth. マッギョずかん・Stunfisk "Pokedex"

but as for piplup...it seemed they tried to make it popular, but it never seemed to be a big seller here. its stuff is STILL left over on some shelves @_@

The bold part i impossible and doesn'0t make sense. Piplup was very popular in DP. That you are focused on electric doesn't mean that Piplup is unpopular. Piplup wasn't made as a mascot when it was known to be very popular. I think that you are referring to Axew, who is not so popular in japan.

Rememeber that I talked about (specially) DP Piplup's popularity. In DP, that thing was so popular that I think I had special category in popularity (usually only has Pikachu). In BW could be different because when the main merch of Piplup (that represent Dawn) was out, Dawn already left.

About Stunfisk. I think that he was very popular in Season 1 (when you posted this), but in Season 2 his popularity (and of any Cilan pokemon) has been down a lot. In Season 1, it was in the Top 12 (if not Top 10) most promoted pokemon in Japan (which for him, it's a lot), only surpassed by Piakchu, Snivy, Tepig (with I have doubts), Oshawott, Reshiram, Zekrom, Victini and Emolga. Maybe Minccino, Pansage, Axew and Scraggy.

And Oshawott is the most popular BW pokemon, for your matter.

wtf? what part of what i said had anything to do with me being "focused on electric"?? i said piplup's stuff is still left over on the shelves here, thats all i am basing it by. what are YOU basing your opinion on, that they put piplup in EVERYTHING regardless of whether he was loved or not? i am a merchandise person and i go with what i see selling well. stunfisk sold well through all of BW. this is not an anime based opinion or type based opinion (and it probably had nothing to do with cilan, so why is HE being brought up?); stunfisk's stuff was hard to get because it SOLD OUT within days. hours in the case of the lifesize rug. do you want to see photos of the release day of the stunfisk promotion? it was such utter chaos there were news articles written about it. he is popular in japan, this is not a "sunyshore likes electrics and is lying because of it".

piplup on the other hand... impossible to sell sometimes. i even had to donate piplup things now and again since nobody wanted them in japan or elsewhere. and like i said, there is still some things from DP left over with piplup, unsold. and what is this about "oshawott was most popular for your info" and "i think you mean axew"... where again did your solid facts come from, and why do you have to act like i don't know the difference between piplup and axew?

please do not insult me by saying i give false information based on my type preferences.

Last edited:
So, All About Pokemon Figures did some more trademark research...I'm not sure exactly what they did, since the broken English is a bit difficult to understand, but they posted this list of ones that seemed to have been recently re-trademarked...

All About Pokemon Figure (AAPF): Registered Trademark and Mega Pokemon 2

High Potential Mega Pokemon
Volbeat,* Charizard,Gengar,Jynx,Gyarados,* Ampharos,
Scizor,Tyranitar,Gardevoir,Medicham,Banette,Abomasnow,
Kyogre,Kecleon,Latias,Latios,* Blaziken,Pinsir,Aerodactyl,
Houndoom,Groudon,* Kangaskhan,Aggron,Plusle,Minun,
Sceptile,* Blastoise,Rayquaza,* Absol, Heracross

Potential Mega Pokemon
Jirachi,Deoxys,Swampert,* Lucario,Chatot,Pachirisu,
Cherrim,Torterra,Infernape,Empoleon,Roserade,Drifblim,
Lopunny,Carnivine,* Mawile,Vaporeon,Ambipom,Wigglytuff,
* Venusaur,Raichu,Farfetch'd,Dodrio,Snorlax,* Mewtwo,
Mew,Lugia,Meganium,Typhlosion,Feraligatr,Dragonite,
Unown,Raikou,Entei,Suicune,Ho-Oh,Celebi

As for Heracross is not registered yet (maybe rejected or cancel ?) at the moment, but added it to the list. Unimaginable Mega Vaporeon only from Eeveelutions so deleted the list. Stats 600 group member Slaking, Salamence, Metagross and Garchomp are not registered in trademark actually, but Garchomp comes, so not sure Slaking, Salamence and Metagross.

Mega Carnivine, hopefully it finally gets a GOOD ABILITY.

But I guess they might keep Levitate since it wouldn't be able to Mega Evolve in an Air Battle. :(

I doubt that mega evolutions/skill swapping abilitiy changes will cause sky battles to suddenly go kaput. So its possible for him to get a new ability.

I doubt that mega evolutions/skill swapping abilitiy changes will cause sky battles to suddenly go kaput. So its possible for him to get a new ability.

Or, I realized they can make Mega Carnivine Grass/Flying and give him a new ability...but then, Grass/Flying sucks.

Why the fuck does he have Levitate, I'll never know. :(

I have mixed opinions on that list. On the one hand, Cherrim, Meganium and Roserade get it, but others like Dragonite get them when they really don't then again, I really shouldn't be surprised after Garchomp

Even in terms of legendaries it's a bit confusing, why are the Weather trio more on the high potential list? they surely don't need that much help.

I don't think that ranking is based on usefulness, just I guess based on the likeliness of the Trademark being created in regards to Mega Evolution. Read the explanation on the link and see if you can figure it out, I'm a bit confused.

I wish I could help with that, but I'm stumbling myself. I think what he means is that Nintendo are re-trademarking the older names (hence why Gen V is missing), which while there's some sense for being that protective for legendaries and starters, raises an eyebrow with the lesser known ones like Plusle. Thus, those names can be the ones that are potentially Mega evolutions.

After BW, Corocoro had a poll of some sort (iirc) and Chandelure scored #1 on that. So if they are basing it somewhat on popularity, then I imagine Chandelure is a likely candidate for Mega, since it's popular both in Japan and everywhere else.
Mega Chandelure would be so BOSS. Six hand flames instead of four, a fancier bottom spike, and the top flame will come out of a more intricate crown. Up the speed, give it shadow tag, and watch the metagame burn.

Next issue of CoroCoro is going to include a Mega Evolution booklet and a short story about a Garchomp that Mega Evolve. Hopefully this issue will come out before the 12th.
Let me guess, Cynthia's right? That, or its the game equivalent of the anime Garchomp arc.

So, All About Pokemon Figures did some more trademark research...I'm not sure exactly what they did, since the broken English is a bit difficult to understand, but they posted this list of ones that seemed to have been recently re-trademarked...

All About Pokemon Figure (AAPF): Registered Trademark and Mega Pokemon 2

High Potential Mega Pokemon
Volbeat,* Charizard,Gengar,Jynx,Gyarados,* Ampharos,
Scizor,Tyranitar,Gardevoir,Medicham,Banette,Abomasnow,
Kyogre,Kecleon,Latias,Latios,* Blaziken,Pinsir,Aerodactyl,
Houndoom,Groudon,* Kangaskhan,Aggron,Plusle,Minun,
Sceptile,* Blastoise,Rayquaza,* Absol, Heracross

Potential Mega Pokemon
Jirachi,Deoxys,Swampert,* Lucario,Chatot,Pachirisu,
Cherrim,Torterra,Infernape,Empoleon,Roserade,Drifblim,
Lopunny,Carnivine,* Mawile,Vaporeon,Ambipom,Wigglytuff,
* Venusaur,Raichu,Farfetch'd,Dodrio,Snorlax,* Mewtwo,
Mew,Lugia,Meganium,Typhlosion,Feraligatr,Dragonite,
Unown,Raikou,Entei,Suicune,Ho-Oh,Celebi

As for Heracross is not registered yet (maybe rejected or cancel ?) at the moment, but added it to the list. Unimaginable Mega Vaporeon only from Eeveelutions so deleted the list. Stats 600 group member Slaking, Salamence, Metagross and Garchomp are not registered in trademark actually, but Garchomp comes, so not sure Slaking, Salamence and Metagross.

Mega Carnivine, hopefully it finally gets a GOOD ABILITY.

But I guess they might keep Levitate since it wouldn't be able to Mega Evolve in an Air Battle. :(
Man, the Johto legendaries all gaining one make sense. Hopefully the Unown DO get one, simply to expand their lore.

I find some of the guesses in the trademark analysis interesting. For one, Banette is among the high potential candidates, yet Dusknoir is not even there at all. Wigglytuff is among the listed yet Clefable is not there at all. I guess it goes to show that not every counterpart gets equal attention: the developers treat one better than the other, and vice versa if judging by the guesses. All the starters are all there, yet not everyone of them are "high potential". I am guessing that since the starters are quite popular, they will all get the Mega treatment.

It would be interesting to see what Unova Pokemon will get this treatment, because we didn't see any of them so far. It's not been ruled out that Unova Pokemon would be excluded, so it would be interesting to see some choices. I do hope that every Ghost Pokemon get them, since they are popular in their own way (maybe Jellicent isn't as popular, though). Would be interesting if there are some odd choices like Gigalith and Vanilluxe.

Thanks for reading.

Unova Pokemon will likely get a very sparse amount of Megas. At this point, I still feel Megas exist to give new life to a lot of older mon, especially legendaries, and the Unova Pokemon are mostly up to date. What I mean is, even if we only have Mewtwo, I think megas would allow the reintroduction of the older legendaries, and give new backstory on them. Back to Unova though, what I mean by sparse is like, 10 MAYBE 15 Pokemon max. Basically the list I have in my mind is:
Mega Serperior
Mega Emboar
Mega Samurott
Mega Chandelure
Mega Golurk
Mega Bisharp
Mega Druddgion
Mega Victini
Mega Sawsbuck
Mega Unfezant(all regional birds are getting one imo)
Mega Galvantula

Unova Pokemon will likely get a very sparse amount of Megas. At this point, I still feel Megas exist to give new life to a lot of older mon, especially legendaries, and the Unova Pokemon are mostly up to date. What I mean is, even if we only have Mewtwo, I think megas would allow the reintroduction of the older legendaries, and give new backstory on them. Back to Unova though, what I mean by sparse is like, 10 MAYBE 15 Pokemon max. Basically the list I have in my mind is:
Mega Serperior
Mega Emboar
Mega Samurott
Mega Chandelure
Mega Golurk
Mega Bisharp
Mega Druddgion
Mega Victini
Mega Sawsbuck
Mega Unfezant(all regional birds are getting one imo)
Mega Galvantula
10 is better than none, i suppose. I just don't want Gen V Pokemon to get left out, regardless of whether their recent or not -.-

So I guess they won't. I'm happy that they won't!
Why? Unova had some of the best Pokemon designs in the series, i personally would like to see some Unova Pokemon get Mega evolutions to expand on those designs.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the lack of Unova Pokemon might simply be due to the fact that list is based off re-trademarked Pokemon, and with the Unova Pokemon only being three years old or so, they may have been usable without needing to re-trademark...then again, I don't exactly get how it works.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom