• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

(READ FIRST POST) Gen VI Rant/Complaint/Disappointment Thread

Re: (READ POST #18) Gen VI Rant/Complaint/Disappointment Thread

Yeah, that and night. Night time's barely noticeable in Kalos. Aside from your bike getting a light and the screen getting slightly darker, I don't think you can really notice that it's night.

Yeah, that and night. Night time's barely noticeable in Kalos. Aside from your bike getting a light and the screen getting slightly darker, I don't think you can really notice that it's night.

Really? I thought that nighttime was really distinguishable in XY. Have you visited the frost cavern at night? The sky is absolutely amazing!!!

Another thing that is kind of forgotten I was dissappinted by: the removal of seasons from gen 5! It's the little things that count!

I'm sad that both of these have gone. One of the little joys of getting back into Pokémon in Gen IV after missing Gen III was these little quirks that made the game a little more immersive. I miss catching nocturnal pokémon, and I thought seasons were a fun addition to the game. (I also miss alternate music for night from D/P/Pt, come to that)

When I first bought the game, I thought the day/night feature was removed cause it never seemed to get dark. I didn't notice until I saw the glow around the lampposts.

What's weirder for me is when the sun sets. Like, its pitch black here by 6, yet in game the sun doesn't fully set until about 9 in game.

I'm one of the seemingly few people in the fandom who, to some extent, misses seasons. I know why they're annoying sometimes, but I always thought they were a cute touch. also where's Mega Stunfisk

I personally find it infuriating that with all of the conveince added in this gen I still have to have room in party to get an egg from the Daycare man or retrive/put/ my pokemon from/in the daycare.

When I first bought the game, I thought the day/night feature was removed cause it never seemed to get dark. I didn't notice until I saw the glow around the lampposts.

What's weirder for me is when the sun sets. Like, its pitch black here by 6, yet in game the sun doesn't fully set until about 9 in game.

Yeah... I don't know what they have to gain from making the day to night feature so subtle visually. I miss it in G/S/C when it was VERY noticeable. Nightime IRL is really dark, while in X/Y, it looks more like the sky just became overcast (until you see the sky). I believe it was pretty subtle in Generation V, but not this bad. (I may be remembering wrong)

As for your second point, that's a general issue. The games don't seem to take into account the changing amounts of sunlight during the day during different seasons at all. Animal Crossing is the same. I found it even weirder with New Leaf where they thought it would be cute to have it be sunny all night long for the Summer Solstice, but then when the Summer Solstice was over it went back to being the same amount of sun as the rest of the year. Of course, it shouldn't be sunny all night, but until around 8 to 9 pm. During the late autumn and winter it should get dark around 5 to 6 PM.

Although, these do vary by where you live, maybe that's why they don't mess with it.

I'm disappointed that they kept the dumbed down Gym Leader and Elite Four Pokemon teams from Gen V. That is, Gym Leaders only have a maximum of 3 Pokemon and every Elite Four member only has 4. The fact that this has happened for three games now makes me believe it's a trend that will continue in the future, and I don't like it at all.

(Also, don't remind me B2W2's so-called "Challenge Mode". That mode behaved more like previous games before Gen V and should've been the default difficulty from the start)

Tierno was just so one dimensional. You have the fireworks scene with Shauna, and there's house in Lumiose that at least tells you a bit about Trevor...but Tierno is just there. No backstory or anything, and he talks nonstop about dancing.

He's the 3rd most popular XY character in Japan after Sycamore and Korrina.

I don't know if I said this, but I really didn't care for the soundtrack. Aside from a few soundtracks, everything seemed bland too. However, Sycamore's theme was cool, the Flare themes are tolerable, and I love listening to the Champion and Gym Leader themes.

It's a shame, I think the last three generations had much more memorable and interesting soundtracks.

I don't really like Fairies... I understand the need to nerf Dragons, but, Fairies have some really unique weaknesses that I would've never thought as intuitive. I think that's my only complaint. That, and no Dunsparce love in a mega-evolution or a new evolution in general.

Their weaknesses don't come from very many offensive pokemon. It does make my poison and steel moves more useful, but they do seem like weird weaknesses, probably only put there to buff up poison and steel, whereas fire being weak to water and electric being weak to ground make sense.

It is bullshit in battle maison when my IV bred moxie salamence was OHKOed by a flabebe using dazzling gleam. I know dragons are weak to fairy, but damn a fully evolved IV bred salamence shouldn't go down to a weak, not fully evolved fairy type.

I don't really like Fairies... I understand the need to nerf Dragons, but, Fairies have some really unique weaknesses that I would've never thought as intuitive. I think that's my only complaint. That, and no Dunsparce love in a mega-evolution or a new evolution in general.

Their weaknesses don't come from very many offensive pokemon. It does make my poison and steel moves more useful, but they do seem like weird weaknesses, probably only put there to buff up poison and steel, whereas fire being weak to water and electric being weak to ground make sense.

It is bullshit in battle maison when my IV bred moxie salamence was OHKOed by a flabebe using dazzling gleam. I know dragons are weak to fairy, but damn a fully evolved IV bred salamence shouldn't go down to a weak, not fully evolved fairy type.
Fairy being weak to Steel and poison makes sense as one of the protective charms that people used to use to protect themselves from fairies in the legends was cold iron and fairies also fear the unnatural such as poison.

It is bullshit in battle maison when my IV bred moxie salamence was OHKOed by a flabebe using dazzling gleam.
Dazzling Gleam is the Fairy version of Psychic. I watched an Espeon OHKO my Absol with it before he could get off a shot....

(still . . . critical maybe?)

Fairy being weak to Steel and poison makes sense as one of the protective charms that people used to use to protect themselves from fairies in the legends was cold iron and fairies also fear the unnatural such as poison.

This is interesting. I really don't know much of anything of fairy legends.

However, the part about poison being "unnatural" doesn't make any sense to me. How is poison "unnatural"? Poison is very much natural... Especially considering the Pokemon world where we have Psychic and Ghost types.

This is interesting. I really don't know much of anything of fairy legends.

However, the part about poison being "unnatural" doesn't make any sense to me. How is poison "unnatural"? Poison is very much natural... Especially considering the Pokemon world where we have Psychic and Ghost types.
I chose the wrong word, i meant not accostumed to, fairy fear things they are not accostumed to. Also i recall reading about a legend about a poison that could kill fairies, i could be wrong.

Last edited:

People are complaining about night "not being visible"? Maybe it's because I play late at night, but I can easily tell it's nighttime. 8U

May I complain again about the stupidly severe lack of boy clothing choices in this game? :/ I found Serebii's clothing list, and it pisses me off how the girl PC easily twice as many options than the boy PC. It makes me irrationally angry.

Ah, I didn't know that. Makes more sense now.

Why is it impossible to cancel offers in direct trades? If you hit that button, there's nothing at all you can do except wait for the other player to cancel on you - every button I tried pressing does nothing except have you sit there.

Not to mention how annoying it is that they took away all of the reaction sending options - most people seemed to work out the random trade ideas like mashing the smiley face button when you liked the Pokemon they were offering. Now the only thing you can do is show them and then if you dare move first on making the offer, you can't do a thing.

Found something that doesn't work quite right....

Shamefully, I didn't know about the face expressions feature of PokéMon Amie until yesterday. So I tried it out today with my Noivern.... but sheesh it doesn't even work properly. First off, sometimes I'm having trouble accessing the feature, I know a face icon has to pop up in the lower left corner after holding the 3DS some distance from your face and then you have to tilt your head or something. But sometimes it takes ages before I can get to the face expressions. But that's not the worst part. When I have to make face expressions, like winking, or opening my eyes, making a huge smile, most of these aren't recognized.

I've read more people have had problems with this and I saw a tip somewhere you have to sit under a lamp so the camera recognizes your face better. Just tried it, but nope, doesn't work either :-/ Or my 3DS's camera is just terribad (but I just got it a few months ago...) or my Pokémon just don't like my face :p

People are complaining about night "not being visible"? Maybe it's because I play late at night, but I can easily tell it's nighttime. 8U
Nighttime just doesn't look dark enough. Combine it with NPC's being in the same places 24 hours a day and you just forget that day-night cycles even exist. At least in Lunacosa people moved around....

Why is it impossible to cancel offers in direct trades? If you hit that button, there's nothing at all you can do except wait for the other player to cancel on you - every button I tried pressing does nothing except have you sit there.

Not to mention how annoying it is that they took away all of the reaction sending options - most people seemed to work out the random trade ideas like mashing the smiley face button when you liked the Pokemon they were offering. Now the only thing you can do is show them and then if you dare move first on making the offer, you can't do a thing.
Yeah, I hate that there is literally no communication in direct trades anymore (without voice chat), even the GTS has more communication than this. I also miss the ability to show more than one Pokemon before placing the offer. I'm pretty sure you do get one final confirmation about trading X for Y though.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom