• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official "Rate my One Pokemon" Thread

I personally hate how much of the meta game is based on legendaries / pseudo legendaries, so here's something a little different:

Azumarill
Adamant Nature (+Atk - Sp Atk)
252 Atk / 252 Sp. Def / 4 Spd
Ability: Huge Power
Item: Assault Vest

Play Rough
Waterfall
Power-Up Punch
Dig

I still need to breed this guy with better IVs, but my main game Azumarill, at level 78, single-handedly took the entire Elite Four and Champion. It had Ice Beam instead of Dig, and its EVs weren't right, but it was still pretty impressive. I'm thinking in this build, its Special Attack is going to be extra mediocre, and wanted to avoid using Ice Beam. With Huge Power doubling my attack, I get more out of a Super Effective Play Rough than a 4x Effective hit with Ice Beam. All of Azumarill's weaknesses are primarily special attacks (Poison, Grass, Electric), and want to focus my defensive efforts there, plus, in order to make it competitive at all, I need to maximize its stats (2x Attack 1.5x Sp. Defense).

Edit: I'd prefer Ice Punch, but it doesn't look like Azumarill is going to be able to get it in this game. We'll see if I can breed it into future Marills from my Gen V Azumarill that knows it via tutor, but I doubt it. Also, as much as I like Brick Break, Power-Up Punch has its applications. I'm a big fan of using it to break Sturdy / Focus items as well as giving me a boost for my follow up attack (Waterfall / Play Rough)

I'd go with either Choice Band or a BellyJet set. Either way, your moves aren't the best. You need Aqua Jet to be effective and Power-up Punch is too weak on Azumarill (it lacks STAB or Technician or Parental Bond) and Dig is two-turn (read: useless). Get Aqua Jet and either Belly Drum or Superpower on there and switch the item to Choice Band or Splash Plate.

I'd go with either Choice Band or a BellyJet set. Either way, your moves aren't the best. You need Aqua Jet to be effective and Power-up Punch is too weak on Azumarill (it lacks STAB or Technician or Parental Bond) and Dig is two-turn (read: useless). Get Aqua Jet and either Belly Drum or Superpower on there and switch the item to Choice Band or Splash Plate.

Are you saying Aqua Jet as an alternative for Waterfall or for Dig/Power-up Punch?

EDIT:

I looked at some stuff on Smogon, I am guessing you're thinking a moveset as follows:

Waterfall
Aqua Jet
Play Rough
Superpower

They suggested Return or Double-edge, but this was also their Gen V entry. I think Play Rough, while only Acc 90, affords itself many more advantages than either Return and Double-Edge in this set.

EDIT ENDS

Note: the following observations are based off of experience in Black 2 PWT and not competitive play.

I'm not a fan of huge fan of giving ground on Defense (Superpower) or HP (Bellydrum). The idea of giving up half of my HP for the CHANCE of getting a heavy hit the next turn doesn't appeal to me, but this is in part because the computer in the PWT seems to cheat. Nor am I fan of locking myself into using a particular move for the advantage of a bonus to a stat. I guess this philosophy doesn't matter so much when in real person on real person matches every seems to switch out as frequently as possible to avoid taking a supereffective hit. In many ways, the moveset I had built before was meant to counter that: being a rock that could probably take just about any type in one to two turns.

I'll try some of those things though, especially since I haven't bred my alpha Azumarill yet.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's the move set I'm suggesting. In legit competitive battling, not PWT or Battle facilities, momentum is everything. Switching is the easiest way to gain momentum. That makes Choice items ideal boosting items for mons who have strong attacks that can OHKO many common Pokemon, as they can switch in, OHKO, switch out. As for Belly Drum, it's only viable because of Aqua Jet. You're not taking a chance that you'll get a strong hit next turn, you're guaranteeing it. The only way you can be thwarted is if you're already up against a strong, faster priority user, say Talonflame... In which case you don't use Belly Drum, duh. But if you're at +6 (not too hard with proper prediction), you WILL kill something because if they try to switch in that Talonflame it'll just evaporate. Their best shot is revenge killing you after.

you probably want like superpower on azumarill so you can hurt ferrothorn and bulkier steels more. i feel like you probably want max hp/atk. don't worry about ice punch much; it's sort of accessory with fairy coverage. idk what you'd use in the last slot but aqua jet if you feel like breeding, return/frustration if you don't want to rebreed

i personally don't like the idea of assault vest azumarill as idk what it's trying to wall specifically, but if you've used it and it works you could probably go for it. i guess it could work if you bluff the band but idk how to feel about it.

edit: oh, wow, never mind, my window didn't show all the previous responses

Trying to find a good set for flareon (don't laugh). How about...

250px-136Flareon.png
Item: Leftovers
Nature: not sure what'd work here, maybe sassy (+SpD, -Spe)?
Ability: Flash fire
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 SpA
Moves:
Lava Plume,
[filler attack, maybe return?],
Rest,
[something tactical, maybe roar or substitute?]

I figured a specially defensive set was my best bet, so that's what I've tried to create. And hopefully it's not too bad. So, yeah, help would be much appreciated.

View attachment 91585
Moves:
Lava Plume,
Rest,

I figured a specially defensive set was my best bet, so that's what I've tried to create. And hopefully it's not too bad. So, yeah, help would be much appreciated.
Lose lava plume, get flare blitz.

Filler attack should be Sleep Talk

And toxic.

disclaimer: this is pokebank ou

genesect @ life orb | download
hasty | 252 atk / 4 def / 252 spd
shift gear | iron head | blaze kick | extremespeed

when i was bored and messing around on po, i started using this as a gimmick set and was pleasantly surprised with its perfomance. genesect is incredibly good at wallbreaking and/or sweeping this generation, thanks to shift gear and a possible download boost (most good players invest 4 sdef into pokemon w/ equal defenses, since scarf gene at +1 satk is generally more threatening than scarf gene at +1 atk). although it lacks the coverage of rp genesect, sg gene has stab in the form of iron head and priority in extremespeed, so it can be extremely useful even without the boost, which is actually fairly easy to get thanks to genesect's phenomenal typing. another move can be used in lieu of blaze kick, most notably ice beam or thunderbolt, but i feel like it sacrifices too much coverage in using ice beam to make it worthwhile because it then struggles against bulky steels and grasses. the option is still there if you want it though.

steel/fire/normal, while not horrible coverage, suffers from a lack of anything to hit bulky waters and heatran with, among other things that currently escape me. shift gear genesect obviously functions best with stealth rock support so that it can ohko talonflame at +1 atk with a life orb, and needs bulky waters weakened considerably before it can feasibly attempt a sweep. using sg genesect in conjunction with something like life orb thundurus to put pressure on such pokemon is generally appreciated; in addition, thundurus can provide support for the team via twave and taunt, which is invaluable if you desperately need to shut down baton pass.

View attachment 91585
Moves:
Lava Plume,
Rest,

Lose lava plume, get flare blitz.

Filler attack should be Sleep Talk

And toxic.

Flareon gets flare blitz at last?! This is excellent news! However, for a defensive set, I really don't think a recoil move is what I want. Are there any better options? Or should I change tack entirely and go for an offensive set instead? Otherwise, thanks.

Honestly, go all out offensive, 252 in sp.def, 252, in attack, 4 in hp, with assault vest.

Honestly, go all out offensive, 252 in sp.def, 252, in attack, 4 in hp, with assault vest.

Assault vest? Sorry, should have mentioned sooner, this is a BW2 set. I don't have XY. Sorry. But thanks anyway.

----

So, going back a bit, this leaves me with my original idea, slightly modified:

Flareon
Nature: not sure what'd work here, maybe sassy (+SpD, -Spe) or calm (+SpD, -Atk)
Moves:
Lava Plume,
[filler attack for coverage, maybe return?],
Rest,
Sleep Talk

The plan is to try to stall while doing damage and trying to burn with lava plume or, if the target resists, a coverage move.

Any ideas from here on, anyone? For BW2? Or should I just wait until I get XY, and then go for a bulky offensive set, or something?

Last edited:

Assault vest? Sorry, should have mentioned sooner, this is a BW2 set. I don't have XY. Sorry. But thanks anyway.

----

So, going back a bit, this leaves me with my original idea, slightly modified:

Flareon
Nature: not sure what'd work here, maybe sassy (+SpD, -Spe) or calm (+SpD, -Atk)
Moves:
Lava Plume,
Rest,
Sleep Talk

The plan is to try to stall while doing damage and trying to burn with lava plume or, if the target resists, a coverage move.

Any ideas from here on, anyone? For BW2? Or should I just wait until I get XY, and then go for a bulky offensive set, or something?
still give it toxic

For an XY Assault Vest set I'd go with 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Sp Def. A simple 'overall bulk' calculation reveals that your spread (350 x 241) gives a 'bulk' of 84350 while my spread (282 x 334) gives a 'bulk' of 94188. Tossing in the Assault Vest, you get (350 x 1.5) x 241 = 126525 for yours and (282 x 1.5) x 334 = 141282. So it's Special bulk is better. Also, you become much more able to take physical hits as a pleasant side effect. (All calcs done assuming 31 IVs, Level 100, Sp Def boosting nature, 252 in one stat and 4 in the other).

okay this is a two-pokemon core [again, pokebank ou sorry], but i still hope it's okay here!

Spr_b_5b_115.png
Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite | Scrappy -> Parental Bond
Jolly | 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Power-Up Punch | Frustration | Crunch or Earthquake | Sucker Punch

Spr_b_5b_642.png
Thundurus-I @ Life Orb | Prankster
Timid | 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Thunderbolt | Hidden Power Ice | Thunder Wave | Focus Blast

i'm really digging this right now. thundurus-i's base speed of 111 is stellar in this metagame as it allows it to outspeed a number of threats like terrakion, keldeo, garchomp, &c. not many teams are prepared for thundurus right now, especially with its absolutely sublime electric/ice/fighting coverage and 125 base special attack; things like excadrill will come in only to be ohkoed by a focus blast. the crux of the set is thunder wave, as it allows thundurus to give a really nasty farewell to revenge killers, often crippling them for the remainder of the match. thundurus-i complements kangaskhan very well; the two kangaroos struggle seriously against steel-types and faster offensive threats, and thundurus is more than capable of dealing with them, either through outright killing them or by paralyzing them via thunder wave. thundurus-i poses a serious menace to offensive teams, while mega kangaskhan stomps on bulky offense and more defensive teams.

nota bene: if it weren't patently obvious, this core is an offensive core, not a defensive one; thundurus-i and m-kangaskhan are not exactly built to take hits, but to mete out punishment by dint of hard-hitting attacks. as for pokemon that would complement this core well, i think a rapid spinner works very well in conjunction with this core—after all, you want to get the best out of both pokemon, and it's hard to not play thundurus dangerously recklessly if you don't use a spinner. excadrill in particular threatens most spinblockers with the exception of gourgeist and maybe trevenant; moreover, mold breaker excadrill can kill dumb opponents who stay in with their rotom-w, so that's cool. shift gear genesect is also pretty neat because it 'lures' in and kills skarmory, although it has some serious problems with heatran. i haven't tried out anything else that works particularly well, but i'll let you know!

also, i feel like mega kangaskhan will probably not be in ou that much longer, so you might want to try it out while it lasts!

For an XY Assault Vest set I'd go with 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Sp Def. A simple 'overall bulk' calculation reveals that your spread (350 x 241) gives a 'bulk' of 84350 while my spread (282 x 334) gives a 'bulk' of 94188. Tossing in the Assault Vest, you get (350 x 1.5) x 241 = 126525 for yours and (282 x 1.5) x 334 = 141282. So it's Special bulk is better. Also, you become much more able to take physical hits as a pleasant side effect. (All calcs done assuming 31 IVs, Level 100, Sp Def boosting nature, 252 in one stat and 4 in the other).
Your math is off, a assault vest flareon gains a base sp.def of 165 (I'm off by 10 or above by ten), giving it more special bulk than of Florges.

Flareon
Moves:
Lava Plume,
Rest,
Sleep Talk

still give it toxic

I don't have space for toxic, since I need a strong and reliable fire attack as well as a backup move for coverage against things which can't be burned/poisoned. Plus toxic works badly with sleep talk. Although if you can suggest an alternative set that works better, I'm open to suggestions.

Flareon
Moves:
Lava Plume,
Rest,
Sleep Talk

still give it toxic

I don't have space for toxic, since I need a strong and reliable fire attack as well as a backup move for coverage against things which can't be burned/poisoned. Plus toxic works badly with sleep talk. Although if you can suggest an alternative set that works better, I'm open to suggestions.
Lava Plume/Toxic/Protect/HP (type).

How would this be for a Hawlucha set?

Hawlucha
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 252 speed/ 252 Attack / 4 HP
Nature: Jolly

-Bulk Up
-Hi-Jump Kick
-Acrobatics
-Baton Pass

Idea is to set up with bulk up and pass boosts to something when someone switches into Aegislash or something, Hi-jump Kick and Acrobatics for STAB. Hi-Jump Kick could do well to KO non-sash Tyranitar or Smeargle leads before they can set up hazards.

I know people have been saying Hawlucha is pretty bad/useless until Flying gems are available after Pokebank comes out But I wanted to see if I could get a Life-Orb set working.

Alternatively I could drop the Baton Pass stuff, And just run Roost in place of Baton Pass, and do Hone Claws instead of Bulk Up.

One big hole in that set: Acrobatics is actually weaker with a Life Orb because the user's holding an item.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom