• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Top 5 worst pokémon you ever trained.

ArvAl

Not gone yet. I refuse
Reaction score
First time to post games stuff here. So I need to asked your opinions about your not-so-liked pokémon when it comes to training. Share your experience guys coz I want to know why you hate it so much.

Here's my least favorite Pokémon in training:
1.Magikarp. Do I need to ask why? It's obvious.
2. Chikorita. Worst starter I could imagine when it comes to training.
3. Sharpedo. My perfect annoying ones to be trained. The attack moves are so damaging till it forgot to train his defense highup.
4. Vulpix. I don't know why the moveset are so terrible until I only send it to daycare. But at least my worst ones became my favorite since it evolved into Ninetales.
5. Torterra. Strong but very low speed. I won't put it to number 2 since his moveset are pretty good and the critical attacks were not so bad after all.

I've already say my word. How about you guys?

Last edited:
I can't come up with five at the moment, but the worst leveling experience that sticks with me still to this day, is gen 2 Crobat. Seriously, the only real attack Zubat had back then was bite. It didn't get wing attack until level 27 (level 30 if you allowed it to evolve into Golbat). Crobat only managed to remain on my team thanks to the TM for steel wing and of course fly... Don't even get me started on how long friendship took to build back then...

Well, let's see...

1: Piplup: The whole line is a pain for me, and the anime just made it even worse. I only raised an Empoleon for the type combo, but even that wasn't enough to keep it in the game.
2: Chikorita: Another disastrous Starter line. It is so weak and a large portion of the Gyms in Johto could cream it with little problem. Sure, it learns Razor Leaf early, but that's about it.
3: Exeggcute: I never liked this line to begin with, plus with all those weaknesses makes it a pain to put into play.
4: Ferroseed: This one can be a real headache to raise. It starts out so weak and slow, and getting it to that high level for its evolution is painstaking. It's this Mon that still restricts me from getting the National Dex in BW.
5: Vanillite: Seriously, why did the give this line such good stats yet lousy moves? It's very frail, even for an Ice type, and yet its final form is so powerful, yet lacking in moves. That made it hard to raise.

That should cover it.

I can think of two off the top of my head:

Ninjask: Boy, that was a nuisance. I decided to have a go with Ninjask on Emerald once, and raising it from a Nincada was a real chore. The pay-off, frankly, wasn't great either

Starmie: I say this quite reluctantly, but my Starmie from Soul Silver really began to drag by Blackthorn City. I had intended to keep it as a Staryu till it had learned all it's moves, but in the end I gave in and evolved early

Beldum.
Evil little Beldum. Only knows Take Down, levels slowly, evolves into Metagross which is awesome, but still.
Beldum...

I didn't have a wonderful time raising Ponyta in DP either. Then I restarted because I realized that I had a crappy, off-level-balanced team.

And Goomy. Why are the ones that are so powerful so difficult to raise...?

I've only played Diamond and Y, and I'm kind of a novice, so that's it.

Poochyena was always a pain in the ass early game, it's attack always seemed worse than it actually was. It only knows Tackle until level 13 and was bound to faint to anything that isn't 2-3 levels below what it is, so grinding often left me to dump it.

Rufflet, Vullaby and Deino/Zweilous were horrible thanks to evolving at high levels. The Deino line is made even worse by Hustle.

1. Spiny eared Pichu. Must I even say why?
2. Metang in Leaf Green. That thing is still not complete after trying for so long to level it up fully...
3. Dusknoir. It had no damaging moves, and this was before I knew anything about competetive battling. Eww.
4. Male Combee. I wanted to get mine to level 100 in Y for the lawlz, but gave up after around level 50. To this day he remains at level 60 as my sweet scent user, just waiting to be finished. This is only #4 merely because of the less time I put into it.
5. My shiny Luvdisc. Like Combee, I gave up around the 60s

RUNNER-UPS
- Carbink. Yes, I am that person who tried to make a competetively viable Carbink when X and Y first came out. As you can probably guess, it didn't work out too well.
- Dragonair in Fire Red. It'd be higher, but I always bring it up with the rest of the team, so it's not QUITE so painful.
- Larvitar in Crystal. This guy took me a long time to get to Tyranitar, but was he so worth it!
- Any Magikarp bought from the Magikarp guy. Thx impatience...

1. Tepig: Not so bad at first but when it evolves I expected it to keep up with in-game opponents and do good damage. Arm Thrust for fighting stab is horribly unreliable and it's starved for good moves as it evolves where Servine and Dewott get good moves like Leaf Blade and Water Pulse. When it does evolve it still isn't better; Heat Crash is also unreliable, I need a TM or Heart Scale for a good fighting stab, rest of the learn set sucks and Emboar requires tons of healing items thanks to its terrible speed and defenses. The most insulting thing is that Tepig is a starter and is supposed to be incredibly useful in-game. I started with Chikorita back in GSC when I was around 10 and had no where near this amount of trouble which really says a lot.
2. Dragonair: Since I usually raise Dragonite to be physical attackers it's a real pain to evolve Dragonair since its physical movepool is more barren than Mars and its only dragon type stab has terrible accuracy. There's also having to get it to level 55 which means you'll be fighting opponents well out of Dragonair's league in order to keep a steady experience flow. Way worth it unlike Emboar though.
3. Zweilous: Like Dragonair having average stats but high evolution levels is tough. Though I raise Hydreigon to be special attackers and Zweilous's special attack isn't too bad with investment. Plus there are often many pokemon weak to dark pulse at high levels. Still a pain to get to level 64
4. Nincada: In RSE I thought this would be one of those early bugs to get the drop on Brawly. Nincada has terrible damage output, gains exp surprisingly slow and when it evolves its moveset still sucks until you can get it aerial ace and baton pass which by then you could give to better pokemon and have little use for baton pass.
5. Blitzle: I tried getting one in early Black thinking that a fast powerful electric type would be great especially if I could get it early. When I Shock Wave I thought I was set but it still had trouble with wild pokemon who were weak to electric. I just gave up on it because I wanted to raise Tympole who is a rockstar in-game if you didn't start with Oshawott. Luckily I didn't give up on electric types so I ended up with my lovely Galvantula with its mighty Thunder attack that plows through anything that doesn't resist/is immune to it.

Hm, I probably can't remember the actual worst 5, but I remember a couple:

Magikarp: Magikarp is a pain in the ass to train. Getting it to level 20 from the usual level 5 or so is horrible. I've done it before and it takes forever. Not worth it.

Meowstic: I hate when new Pokemon, especially those with decent designs, are completely inferior to other in every way. Meowstic is one of those. I decided to use it for a while in Y version and it sucked. It's completely inferior to Alakazam (I use Alakazam in this situation because it's also a pure Psychic type and was Abra was available at about the same time in XY. I actually had a Kadabra then gave it up for Meowstic, which I regret now.

Gastly was a nightmare to raise early on. Its limited moves made it hard to beat anything; Lick is not just weak, but can't damage half the Pokemon that sgow up early on. Couple this with crappy defensive stats and you got a real pain.

Almost all the pseudo-legend dragons. Idk why, but the Dragonite line never gave me too much trouble. All the others, i never used in the story thanks to their slow growth and insanely high evolution levels (Hydreigon... gah.)

Chikorita. Saw that one coming right? While I like the little guy, it undeniably is the worst starter of all, with a very limited offensive movepool and mediocre stats. Totdile's line can own it with Ice Fang, making its type advantage obsolete.

Cubchoo. Poor guy just wouldn't stop getting K.O'ed. I'm not even that sure why.

Oh God, yes. I forgot Blitzle! It was horrible trying to train it early on in my original Black version! After it evolved into Zebstrika, it was perfectly fine and I loved it! But as a Blitzle, it was so fragile!

1. The elemental monkeys. In particualr, Pansear/Simisear because that is what I got in White. I honestly don't know if the IVs were just really bad or if their stats are just bad period or both, but leveling this thing up was horrific since it never hit hard and would always faint. This thing really sucks and I never want to raise this stupid thing or its two counterparts again. I have never trained them post game, but I hate them for many reasons and they are not worth my time or effort.
2. Purrloin. I love this little cat and Liepard is one of my favorites, but by the power of Greyskull, is she hard to level up! She isn't a hard-hitter and she is also very fragile, and as much as I love Liepard, she really isn't a hard-hitter, either. She is a lot more useful post game when IVs and EVs are taken into consideration.
3. Magikarp. This one is really a given, no question. Unlike the monkeys, however, Gyarados is actually useful and while he is slow to level up, he at least hits hard to make up for it.
4. Deino and Zweilous. Nothing against these two, but Hustle really blows and makes levelling them up a lot harder, but what you get when it becomes Hydreigon, wow! So worth the levelling up!
5. Chikorita. I remember starting out with this thing in Gold, and I remember it being a pain. Again, she is useful as a Meganium post game when IVs and EVs are taken into account, but during the game... it seemed like they were punishing everyone who started with this thing. The game was a breeze when I started out with Totodile in Crystal and Soul Silver.

-Trapinch: Seriously, that speed and defense was horrible. It kept dying on me during Emerald and I couldn't use it in battles against in-game trainers. Everything paid off once it evolved, though...

- Riolu: I'm talking about DPPt Riolu. The only Riolu Egg you get is around the 6th gym, and it takes a long time to hatch. By the time it does, you're stuck in the middle of the snowy route or up against Candice. And friendship evolution - by day? I usually play in the evenings :/

I'll post more when I remember them

1. Magikarp - I wish I had never used it in my Y. I even needed to trade in the Gyaradosite so I could have in pre-E4.
2. Trapinch - Try an Emerald Nuzlocke using a Trapinch as your Route 111 encounter!
3. Espeon - In Gen 6, when you have Delphox and Espeon, then nothing happens to the latter.
4. Eevee - Most all games but X/Y and Platinum give you lower-level Eevee than the area.
5. Amaura - I don't know why, really...

Larvesta: Geeeeez. Larvesta is incredibly difficult to train, and it has to be high-leveled to evolve. Volcarona is absolutely worth it, but MAN.

Chikorita: I always feel like I need to train my starters. Chikorita really, really made me regret that policy. What a disappointing starter.....

Togepi: This was back in Gen II, so I didn't even have Togekiss to look forward to. A waste of my time, all around.

Blitzle: Zebstrika was fun times all around, but it was waaaay too difficult to get. Blitzle is more fragile than a piece of tissue paper, and less intimidating to boot.

Combee: Well, this one is mostly my fault. I had a major brain derp and didn't realize that I was training a male Combee. Way to go, brain.

I can only think of four...

1) Blitzle - Too fragile, even against resisted attacks, and it's special attack moves are mediocre. Not even worth raising.
2) Chikorita - really difficult to raise without a gym that's weak to Grass in Gen 2.
3) Togepi - Like Storm Silverwing mentioned, this was back in Gen 2.

(Updated)
4) Snivy - Really shallow movepool, as Orion-sama mentioned below. Not knowing any non-STAB attack except for Normal types (which are sucktastic), and Dragon Tail (which is really late in the game)? C'mon, man!

Last edited:
- Purrloin. Not only is it very fragile and lacking in power, but its early game movepool is simply horrible and Pursuit doesn't really cut the mustard by the time you get it.

- Pidove. Like Purrloin, the moves it has to use early on are terrible, and are powered by its crappy Sp. Atk stat. Why it couldn't just start with Tackle I'll never know.

- Whismur. Good god this thing is frail, and it doesn't even have speed or power to compensate. Training it up is a test of patience, and the returns are underwhelming even once it evolves.

- Kricketune. Most early game bugs are at least decent enough to be serviceable throughout the game, or at the very least are fairly easy to evolve in the first place. Kricketune is neither.

- Trapinch/Vibrava. Horrible, absolutely horrible to train. Slow as mud, has the constitution of a ming vase and unevolved at a point where many Pokemon are reaching their final stages. Even after becoming Vibrava it's kind of crappy, as Vibrava has stats befitting an unevolved Pokemon. Getting a Flygon is more frustrating than getting most pseudo-legends tbh

In no particular order:

-Gastly. I tried doing one of these early on in my very first run of Silver, which was the very first pokemon game I owned. It worked about as well as you'd expect, especially with a de facto normal-type gym in Falkner as the first hym.

-Bellsprout. Same time as Gastly above, with the exception that there were no extenuating circumstances preventing Bellsprout from being good. It just sucks.

-Ralts. I love all of the Gardevoirs I've raised but Ralts is the most annoying little thing to raise until it learns somethign other than Growl at level 65143654.

-Wingull. It'll get you through Roxanne in RSE if you picked Torchic. Don't use it any further. Trust me on this one.

-Bidoof. It was 2007 and it was a meme. Don't judge me, I was 14.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom