• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Top 5 worst pokémon you ever trained.

My top five hardest Pokémon to train? Ok. In a FireRed nuzlocke I did once, I fished a Magikarp up in Vermillion. I then decided to train it up, since most of my team were useless against Rock Pokémon. Boy, was it a waste. When it evolved in Rock Tunnel, I found out it learned no water moves! I ended up wasting Water Pulse on it, and it was rubbish. I ditched it in Celadon for Vaporeon. Much more useful. (thinks I should finish it) Another was my little Oshawott in my Black. Since it was my first Pokémon game, I was silly. I mainly focused on the guy, with one big problem. I didn't let it evolve. As a result, he got killed all the time in end-game. Mind you, his Hydro Pump OHKOd Tornadus since he was so overleveled. Otherwise, I had no real problems, other than me being silly. *thinks back to running Emerald with three Pokémon" I remember giving up on a Lillipup one level before it evolved, since I was getting sick of waiting. I evolved it when I started to empty my Black cart into Bank. I can't think of two others, I'm afraid.

Well, let's see...
1: Piplup: The whole line is a pain for me, and the anime just made it even worse. I only raised an Empoleon for the type combo, but even that wasn't enough to keep it in the game.

tumblr_n6kt4n9IyP1r36bj2o2_75sq.gif
Really? Along with Typhlosion, Samurott, Serperior, Delphox and Blastoise, Empoleon has never let me down. And mind you, I'm counting the entire lines. All 18 of these Pokémon are pretty much my perfect starters. And Piplup is without a doubt my absolute best.

Anyways, the only Pokémon that have ever been pains for me to train...

FR - Beedrill, Butterfree, Raticate, Primeape. Butterfree was better than the others to a certain extent because of its Psychic moves, but all were a horror to grind up once they hit Lv. 40... I didn't even dare to challenge the E4 with them, and now they're all in my Bank, never having won the honor of Champions. And since I always stick with the first six Pokémon I capture, I was screwed because Blastoise and Pidgeot couldn't carry the team alone. Strangely, and fortunately, Butterfree's a motherf***ing powerhouse in Gen. 6. She can single handedly destroy Siebold and dent Diantha's team severely.

D/P - Bibarel. He was extremely useful early game and he could certainly hold his own against storyline opponents such as Cyrus (and even Cynthia!) but when compared to the rest of my powerhouse team (Empoleon, Staraptor, Luxray, Roserade and Crobat) he was obviously the weak link and leveling him up was a nightmare.

Pt - Oddly enough, my entire team was hard to grind up in the post-game. Giratina, Lucario, Spiritomb and Umbreon had the worst time ever training on Route 229. Togekiss and Empoleon were on point, however.

B2 - Azumarill and Ampharos. I captured them because I thought they'd give me decent type coverage. Even though I got them both to level 52 or 53 (can't remember) they were useless compared to my fabulous Zoroark (N's), my Serperior, my Arcanine and Lucario. Never again.

X - Aegislash was actually unusually weak in my team. It was pitiful up until last month when I gave it a reset bag and up its base stats before focusing on Attack and S. Attack. Now it's a beast and can hold his own with Blastoise, Delphox, Florges, Talonflame and Butterfree.

I think that's it. Every other team has been a piece of cake more or less and all other Pokémon are Lucky Egg trained against the Kalos E4. :p

My top five worst were probably:

1. Deino: I'd always wanted to use one since I love the designs of the entire Hydreigon line, but he took so much longer to evolve than everyone else I'd bred at the same time as him, gradually moving from the strongest member of that White 2 team to the weakest. Even after evolving, he would pretty much be the first to faint in battle, his nature wasn't very good and he was really hard to train because he'd often faint before I could switch him out of the battle for somebody more competent. And now he's even less usable due to the introduction of fairy types...

2. Serperior: I picked Snivy twice because I love the look of that line so much, but Serperior never seemed to learn any decent moves except Leech Seed. He ended up being pretty decent since he can stall for a while with draining moves, leech seed and leftovers, so maybe my problem with Serperior was that I was used to physical attackers like Swampert and Torterra.

3. Granbull: Another one of my favorite Pokemon that I tried to train in Gen V. She's not terrible, the problem was probably me again as I didn't understand STAB and gave her all of those fang moves instead of some normal type attacks. I might try and adjust her moveset now that I've imported her to Y to see if she gets any good Fairy attacks now.

4. Typhlosion: I wasn't really patient enough with my Cyndaquil in HG or SS, they never got very high levelled due to how low levelled most of the battles in that game are and therefore never learned any decent moves at all. Flame wheel and Swift were incredibly frustrating as the only attacks I had access to, I kind of wish I'd picked Totodile despite preferring the Cyndaquil line design-wise.

5. Samurott: I picked it because Oshawott looked cute. He actually got some decent moves as far as I can remember but they'd never do very much damage, I might have gotten unlucky with his nature though, since I didn't really pay attention to natures at all until after X and Y came out... I hope I did, most Pokemon I have a pain in the butt training I really want to be good at battling and seriously hope it's just my problem and if I try again someday it'll work out.

On the other hand, there's loads of Pokemon that I expected to be a pain to use and train but ended up having fun with. I have a Farfetch'd i used during my nuzlocke run of X that was the strongest member of my team, I was so impressed that he learns Acrobatics. I also have a Volbeat that I trained by accident in the Friend Safari while hunting for shinies who learned all sorts of great moves and, while probably terrible competitively and in most battles, is still fun to use while shiny hunting and a pleasant surprise, since I really like Volbeat's design and have always wanted to use one for something.

Good. Anyone else want to share the story?

From my Water monotype run in Sapphire
Lombre- Had almost no damaging Grass moves and levels slowly
Tentacool- Levels slow and with a not too good movepool. honestly just had for strength in numbers early on
Goldeen/Seaking- trained for the fight with Tate&Liza into Seaking but ended up being weaker than any other Pokémon on the team
Chinchou- Still training but faints to nearly everything making training more difficult than it should be
Marill- took time to train into Azumarill but was worth it because the Defense Curl/Rollout combo is what saved me against both Norman and Winona

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom