• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

20th Anniversary: Other Game Ideas

I want a Pokemon Yellow remake. With all the awesome stuff they've learned since yellow. Soar, character customization, all the other awesome features of Gen 6 and Gen 7 (depending on if Gen 7 comes out before the 20th anniversary. I doubt it will though).

Or at least FireRed and LeafGreen remakes on the 3DS. Kanto is where this adventure began... We should celebrate 20 years with Kanto.

Oh and I'd love a 20 year Anime music disk, like we had with Pokemon X

I've often wondered if they know the fans are expecting something Kanto-related for the 20th anniversary, so to stick with the "try something unexpected" schtick, what if they decide to do something different?

We are not getting Kanto remakes, we already have one pair of remakes in this Gen and Zygarde needs a power boost for the next Kalos installment unless we move to gen 7. Also between the current games, we can get all the Kanto pokemon (except Mew for obvious reasons) as well as all other non-event pokemon. Kanto ain't happening, sorry.

We are not getting Kanto remakes, we already have one pair of remakes in this Gen and Zygarde needs a power boost for the next Kalos installment unless we move to gen 7. Also between the current games, we can get all the Kanto pokemon (except Mew for obvious reasons) as well as all other non-event pokemon. Kanto ain't happening, sorry.

Urg. Please, no more Kalos. No... just... No.

If not Kanto remakes, then maybe a new Kanto game with a new story line. Either way, the 20th anniversary needs to involve Kanto. It's where it all began.

Urg. Please, no more Kalos. No... just... No.

If not Kanto remakes, then maybe a new Kanto game with a new story line. Either way, the 20th anniversary needs to involve Kanto. It's where it all began.

Since both regions are getting hate from opposing sides of the fandom, I think it's hilarious that both regions start with a "Ka".

Also between the current games, we can get all the Kanto pokemon (except Mew for obvious reasons) as well as all other non-event pokemon.
That's a reason to move onto the next generation if I ever saw one. You can't just apply this reasoning against more remakes while supporting another Kalos game.

How about something different, like a Wii U Stadium/Battle Revolution. Now that would really be something unexpected.

How about something different, like a Wii U Stadium/Battle Revolution. Now that would really be something unexpected.

The core series has always been on the hand helds, so if they are going to celebrate the franchise with a game, i would hope it gets put on the 3DS first and foremost.

On another note, can I ask why Game Freak should save Gen 7 for the New 3DS? From my understanding, the New 3DS is just a supped-up 3DS. So what exactly makes it so special that the next Gen of Pokémon should be released for it instead of the regular 3DS?

On another note, can I ask why Game Freak should save Gen 7 for the New 3DS? From my understanding, the New 3DS is just a supped-up 3DS. So what exactly makes it so special that the next Gen of Pokémon should be released for it instead of the regular 3DS?
I'm guessing GF really needs to promote the New 3DS, and an exclusive, main-series Pokémon would really help, since the franchise is such a cash cow.

It doesn't need to be exclusive. There are already a number of n3DS-enhanced games (mostly for the C-stick and faster loading), and there is probably more that can be done to enhance games without rendering them exclusive titles. We already know from an interview that Masuda is interested in the New 3DS. With 3D being less rigid on the New 3DS, Game Freak may be more inclined to utilize 3D effects in the overworld.

It doesn't need to be exclusive. There are already a number of n3DS-enhanced games (mostly for the C-stick and faster loading), and there is probably more that can be done to enhance games without rendering them exclusive titles. We already know from an interview that Masuda is interested in the New 3DS. With 3D being less rigid on the New 3DS, Game Freak may be more inclined to utilize 3D effects in the overworld.
If I recall correctly, Black 2 and White 2 were enhanced to take advantage of the new DSi XL's features, but the games were completely compatible with the original DS.

If I recall correctly, Black 2 and White 2 were enhanced to take advantage of the new DSi XL's features, but the games were completely compatible with the original DS.
The DSi enhancement was limited to the Xtransceiver features by way of using the camera. The New 3DS can enhance non-gimmicky gameplay and graphics, so it's more comparable to the Game Boy Color (although the latter was a more noticeable upgrade). Even Gold and Silver were still playable on the regular Game Boy, although Crystal wasn't.

Last edited:
The DSi enhancement was limited to the Xtransceiver features by way of using the camera. The New 3DS can enhance non-gimmicky gameplay and graphics, so it's more comparable to the Game Boy Color (although the latter was a more noticeable upgrade). Even Gold and Silver were still playable on the regular Game Boy, although Crystal wasn't.
The Generation V games also allowed players using Nintendo DSi/XL systems to play online using WPA encrypted connections, whereas the DS/Lite could only support WEP. It wasn't as notable as the Xtransceiver (or was it? Did anyone actually use the Xtransceiver?), but it was a neat addition that took advantage of the more "background" aspects of the DSi.
I think that moving forward, any New 3DS-enhancements future games receive will be similar background enhancements to improve performance or accessibility (does Pokémon really even need the C-stick? I wouldn't say so). Even the New Nintendo 3DS' most noticeable new feature, amiibo compatibility, is coming to the earlier models this summer via a peripheral after all.

As long as it has all of this, I don't care where it takes place. It needs all of the features that were abandoned along the way.

Apricorn balls
Battle Tower/Frontier/Subway
Trainer Hill
Game Corner
Safari Zone
Pokémon Contests
Sevii Islands
Secret Bases
Underground
Park Ball
Walking Pokémon
Seals and Ball Capsules
Dream World
Entralink
Dark Grass
Phenomena
Seasons
Pokémon Musical
Perma-running
Pokéstar Studios
Pokémon World Tournament
Unova Link
Hidden Grotoes
Trainer Customization

While I don't really believe there will be a Kanto remake to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the franchise (what makes it more special than any of the other anniversaries anyways?), I was thinking of what the gym leader line-up should be if they happen:

Brock should stay, but have a larger role in the story or in some sort of sidequest
Same for Misty
Lt. Surge should just remain at his gym
Same for Erika
Koga would be an elite four, so of course Janine would be in his place
Sabrina would leave for the Pokéstar Studios in Unova, because of this, the Fighting Dojo would turn back into a Fighting-type gym like it was before. She could make an appearance in the Sevii Islands or something
Blaine rebuilt his gym
The Viridian gym leader should be someone completely new, Giovanni is now a good guy that appears somewhere else in the postgame, same for Blue

Pokemon Giga Arena.

Combining the console Pokemon campaign of the Orre games, the rentals Pokemon and battle modes of Stadium, a level editor, a huge ass storage system.

It would be hilariously trollish if they decided to go "hey kids, guess what? For the 20th Anniversary, we're releasing Pokken Tournament for home console games outside of Japan!" But yet it would be awesome at the same time.

does Pokémon really even need the C-stick? I wouldn't say so

Lumiose City and Azure Bay disagree.

As long as it has all of this, I don't care where it takes place. It needs all of the features that were abandoned along the way.

Apricorn balls
Battle Tower/Frontier/Subway
Trainer Hill
Game Corner
Safari Zone
Pokémon Contests
Sevii Islands
Secret Bases
Underground
Park Ball
Walking Pokémon
Seals and Ball Capsules
Dream World
Entralink
Dark Grass
Phenomena
Seasons
Pokémon Musical
Perma-running
Pokéstar Studios
Pokémon World Tournament
Unova Link
Hidden Grotoes
Trainer Customization

Good luck fitting all of that into one game. Even on a good day, I don't think they could ever make a game that packed with content.

Back
Top Bottom