• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it'll be a summer or fall release. They're doing a lot of marketing during the fall for us to have to wait another 6+ months to play the games. I think it'll be April or May at the latest.

Grrr. I was pretty stoked for pokken tournament. . . . when they initially revealed it like a year ago. Kind of bittersweet about the announcement. I mean like . . while at this point I doubt we'll hear anything about the next main games, I refuse to believe they had Satoshi Sajiri, Masuda, AND Ohmori all attend Worlds, just for Pokken to get announced.
Tajiri isn't attending the event, and there is nothing suspicious about Masuda and the ORAS director attending an event which is all about ORAS battles (and the TCG). Masuda has always had a staff member accompany him for these events.

yeahh that's trues I guess. Although I did assume Tajiri was going to be there since he was at the opening ceremony.

I think ur mistaking Ishihara as Taijiri. Tsunekazu Ishihara was the man that came out this morning at the opening ceremony. Taijiri hasn't been to an event in many many years and is known for being very reserved and not showing his face a whole lot.

Although I did assume Tajiri was going to be there since he was at the opening ceremony.
Source? I think you're confusing Tajiri with Tsunekazu Ishihara.

Oh I actually was mixing to the two of them up LOL mb.

It's cause a while ago I googled Satoshi Tajiri to see what he looked like a bunch of pictures of Tsunekazu showed up so I just rolled with that.

It's cause a while ago I googled Satoshi Tajiri to see what he looked like a bunch of pictures of Tsunekazu showed up so I just rolled with that.
It's a common misconception, unfortunately. I bet that most of the fandom have no idea what Tajiri looks like.

I highly doubt they would release a BF app for ORAS, but hey, it sounds cool.

I agree with you mostly, but I´m sure that both XY and OR/AS lacked the content GF wanted them to lack. It´s not like they didn´t have time to put some content in...

XY, as a first pair of a Generation, was meant to be shorter than the next game contentwise. It was meant to show-off all those new features (graphics, Megas, Customisation) and not much more. And it did it´s function well.

ORAS, as a long time awaited revisit, was meant to be wow- ing, and it is: more new features (Soaring, Sneaking, Super Secret Bases, Conest Spectaculars... AND a Delta Episode! Plus more new Megas... and Primals. Battle Frontier wasn´t really holded back, imo, it is just hard to make in 3D and I think GF didn´t even think of it. They made the Battle Resort though, which, although not the same, is still pretty neat... However, Gym Battles were holded back purpously for the next game, which is a nasty thing to do (even XY have Gym rematches), and customisation was made a Kalos-exclusive thing, to hype it up for the final games.

So in the next games we are probably gonna see customisation return once again, a new Battle Facility (not the Frontier though, maybe the PWT or a brand new facility, don´t know) and gym rematches. And More new Megas. However, I think Soaring willbe made ORAS exclusive. Samewith the PokenavPlus.

I don´tknow why GF are so selective about features though...

Fair point on XY, and I do appreciate the amount of work that probably went into the graphical upgrade and the features like Amie. Those things make me willing to cut them a bit of slack with the weak storyline and characterization. I can understand why those would take a backseat, even if I don't like it.

However, I can't commit to the idea that the Battle Frontier just "didn't occur to them" considering that they directly reference it several times at the Battle Resort. Hard to make in 3D? Sure. But at that point, I think that it genuinely was a combination of them being lazy and them being rushed. (Nintendo took a big loss in profits due to the 3DS around that time, didn't they? And of course the long-awaited, highly-demanded R/S remakes would be a smart reaction to that.)

As to why they keep certain features exclusive to certain games, well, that's as simple as, "it forces you to buy the new games."

I think GF had all the time they needed for OR/AS and I also think the games became the way GF wanted them to. But OR/AS have such anincredible level of detail in many features, that I really doubt they didn´t have time for the more major features that are missing. That´s why I think said features were held back intentionally, mainly Gym rematches. I mean even XY have Gym rematches, so why ORAS don´t? It is a feature clearly held back intentionally. I can even imagine Masuda saying: "Heeey boys!Calmdown a little, we´ve put Soaring in, Pokenav Plus, Battle Maison, Secret Bases... leave something out! The game will be too complete otherwise! How are we gonna promote
our next game if this onehas everything in it!"

This is something I have felt for a long time. To me HGSS seems the most complete but every other game, both before and after it's felt like Game Freak have intentionally left something out so that it's not complete.

I agree with you mostly, but I´m sure that both XY and OR/AS lacked the content GF wanted them to lack. It´s not like they didn´t have time to put some content in...

XY, as a first pair of a Generation, was meant to be shorter than the next game contentwise. It was meant to show-off all those new features (graphics, Megas, Customisation) and not much more. And it did it´s function well.

ORAS, as a long time awaited revisit, was meant to be wow- ing, and it is: more new features (Soaring, Sneaking, Super Secret Bases, Conest Spectaculars... AND a Delta Episode! Plus more new Megas... and Primals. Battle Frontier wasn´t really holded back, imo, it is just hard to make in 3D and I think GF didn´t even think of it. They made the Battle Resort though, which, although not the same, is still pretty neat... However, Gym Battles were holded back purpously for the next game, which is a nasty thing to do (even XY have Gym rematches), and customisation was made a Kalos-exclusive thing, to hype it up for the final games.

So in the next games we are probably gonna see customisation return once again, a new Battle Facility (not the Frontier though, maybe the PWT or a brand new facility, don´t know) and gym rematches. And More new Megas. However, I think Soaring willbe made ORAS exclusive. Samewith the PokenavPlus.

Fair point on XY, and I do appreciate the amount of work that probably went into the graphical upgrade and the features like Amie. Those things make me willing to cut them a bit of slack with the weak storyline and characterization. I can understand why those would take a backseat, even if I don't like it.

However, I can't commit to the idea that the Battle Frontier just "didn't occur to them" considering that they directly reference it several times at the Battle Resort. Hard to make in 3D? Sure. But at that point, I think that it genuinely was a combination of them being lazy and them being rushed. (Nintendo took a big loss in profits due to the 3DS around that time, didn't they? And of course the long-awaited, highly-demanded R/S remakes would be a smart reaction to that.)

As to why they keep certain features exclusive to certain games, well, that's as simple as, "it forces you to buy the new games."

I think GF had all the time they needed for OR/AS and I also think the games became the way GF wanted them to. But OR/AS have such anincredible level of detail in many features, that I really doubt they didn´t have time for the more major features that are missing. That´s why I think said features were held back intentionally, mainly Gym rematches. I mean even XY have Gym rematches, so why ORAS don´t? It is a feature clearly held back intentionally. I can even imagine Masuda saying: "Heeey boys!Calmdown a little, we´ve put Soaring in, Pokenav Plus, Battle Maison, Secret Bases... leave something out! The game will be too complete otherwise! How are we gonna promote

This is something I have felt for a long time. To me HGSS seems the most complete but every other game, both before and after it's felt like Game Freak have intentionally left something out so that it's not complete.

So you felt that way even for Platinum and B2W2?

Well B2W2 by definition is incomplete, it's one half of the story, the second half. Yes you can play it fine without the previous BW, but that doesn't count as "complete" in my opinion.

As for Platinum, it's not too far behind HGSS in my opinion of completeness. For me it really got to me how you need an action replay to access much of the content, like the arceus battle, or the shaymin. When you by the game you pay for that event, it is there in the code, laying dormant, but you need to buy another device to allow you to access what you have already paid for. But Platinum was very good overall. It took 2 bad games, and made it into a really great game.

Well B2W2 by definition is incomplete, it's one half of the story, the second half. Yes you can play it fine without the previous BW, but that doesn't count as "complete" in my opinion.

As for Platinum, it's not too far behind HGSS in my opinion of completeness. For me it really got to me how you need an action replay to access much of the content, like the arceus battle, or the shaymin. When you by the game you pay for that event, it is there in the code, laying dormant, but you need to buy another device to allow you to access what you have already paid for. But Platinum was very good overall. It took 2 bad games, and made it into a really great game.

Appreciate your answer... You see I asked for a reason... Im thinking of getting one of those 3 games. I will wait until the new games are released, and see if I like them and if I findbthem complete. If i do, i will maybe get that. If it turns out to be disappointing, i would consider getting Platinum HGSS or B2W2. Or just sticking to ORAS until gen7.

I guess I don't see how Yokai Watch is outselling Pokemon considering it seems like it's an inferior game. But once again if I'm in the minority on that then that's fine.
Not to be harsh, but it doesn't matter how "you don't see" how Yokai Watch is outperforming Pokemon. Its not a matter of subjective opinion when in all fronts, its beating Pokemon. Dogasu has done a feature on Yokai Watch. Yokai Watch is getting a larger share of Pokemon's target audience, and Pokemon's box office performance in movies are dwindling. In that article I linked, its also showing that Yokai watch is starting to get the preferential placement in magazines that Pokemon used to have.

Last edited:
i think the "completeness" of a game is difficult to gauge. i think i would consider that RBY is a complete game while XY are not necessarily complete, despite the fact that XY arguably has more end-game content than RBY. @Azuro; you mention that BW2 isn't complete because you need to play BW to get the whole picture. wouldn't that also be the case for HGSS? if you haven't played FRLG, wouldn't you technically not have the entire story either?

on "withholding" content: i think there are a couple reasons for this. i think a minor reason is to test reception. after all, you never really know how much you like something until it's gone. i think the absence of physical seasons in XY (though the region design parallels the seasons) is to gauge a more "accurate" reception and find a way to fine-tune seasons. the other, more significant, reason is that it is to give a unique flair to certain regions. obviously this doesn't apply to everything: seasons and fashion (customization) are obviously not exclusive PokéMerica or PokéFrance and their real-life counterparts. however, things like the Battle Frontier and PWT are sensibly more sporadic because it's not as "cool" to have it everywhere. i mean, after all, when i see talk about the Battle Frontier and how good it was, i usually see it in relation to Hoenn's and not Sinnoh/Johto's. the PWT was really cool partially because it was the very first time we've been able to face and re-battle just about every gym leader and champion ever. i can't imagine it would be as exciting as a series staple.

an example of this i can think of is the Safari Zone. originated in Gen I, a fun mini-game-esque way of catching some less common Pokemon. absent in Gen II to the dismay of the players, returns in Gen III and IV with significantly less "fanfare." the Safari Zone is absent completely in Generation V and Kalos, and a neutered version of the Safari Zone in Hoenn appears in ORAS. why move on? either animal rights groups really got to GameFreak or players just became uninterested in the concept.

@The Outrage; Yokai Watch's success and overall threat will come after it's international release. that's the biggest edge Pokemon has over it right now, the fact that it is (or was) an international phenomenon. regrettably, as interested as i am in the game, i doubt it'll be as big of a hit in the West as it is in Japan, especially given how very Japanese it is. (that's not to say Pokemon isn't, but you can "get" Pokemon without understanding Japanese culture, whereas Yokai Watch not only takes place in a real-world Japan, but is extremely referential to Japanese culture.)

Last edited:
There's a sense of subjectivity as far as whether or not a game is "complete" because there's always something you can add to the games to make them better. You say Platinum and HGSS were complete, but I think their regional dexes could've been improved a bit more because the balance isn't quite perfect. And BW2 could've included a few more areas and more post game Pokemon. 6th gen has definitely been lacking in content though and they feel like they have less to offer than their predecessors, so I would agree that they feel incomplete in that sense.

@godiego;

Yeah I think you and Bolt the cat are right about completeness being subjective to the person. You have a valid point about HGSS as its technically a sequel of FRLG, but to me personally, it always felt like a different story but set in the same world where the previous story happened rather than being 2 halves of the same story like BW and B2W2.

To me it's like the Tolkien series, Lord of the rings trilogy to me is complete on its own, even though technically the hobbit came before it, and sort of ties in the early part of the story. Whereas two towers and fellowship of the ring for example, are clearly 2 parts of a trilogy ie the same story.

So for me personally the relationship between FRLG and HGSS is like the relationship of the Hobbit to the LOTR trilogy, whereas the relationship between BW and B2W2 is more like the relationship between fellowship and two towers.

Yokai Watch is an important factor to take into account. Indeed they are the true and direct concurrents of Pokémon.
As Outrage said, Yokai Watch is getting a larger share of Pokemon's target audience, especially the younger one. This can be felt with the movies and anime, Yokai Watch is currently beating Pokémon.
Let's speak about te Pokemon's young audience. They are truly important to the franchise. Do you remember the Pokemon Center Event in Paris where Masuda went ? There were a lot of different fans, many adults but kids were plenty. The staff interviewed the kids and the majority of them started Pokemon with Pokémon BW & BW2. That's why remakes exist, that's why DP remakes will exist, that's why Kanto remake will exist again.

Yokai Watch is an important factor to take into account. Indeed they are the true and direct concurrents of Pokémon.
As Outrage said, Yokai Watch is getting a larger share of Pokemon's target audience, especially the younger one. This can be felt with the movies and anime, Yokai Watch is currently beating Pokémon.
Let's speak about te Pokemon's young audience. They are truly important to the franchise. Do you remember the Pokemon Center Event in Paris where Masuda went ? There were a lot of different fans, many adults but kids were plenty. The staff interviewed the kids and the majority of them started Pokemon with Pokémon BW & BW2. That's why remakes exist, that's why DP remakes will exist, that's why Kanto remake will exist again.
The they need to do what they needed to all along, focus on the older one!

I guess I don't see how Yokai Watch is outselling Pokemon considering it seems like it's an inferior game. But once again if I'm in the minority on that then that's fine.
Not to be harsh, but it doesn't matter how "you don't see" how Yokai Watch is outperforming Pokemon. Its not a matter of subjective opinion when in all fronts, its beating Pokemon. Dogasu has done a feature on Yokai Watch. Yokai Watch is getting a larger share of Pokemon's target audience, and Pokemon's box office performance in movies are dwindling. In that article I linked, its also showing that Yokai watch is starting to get the preferential placement in magazines that Pokemon used to have.
That is what I meant. People can like it all they want. I learned long ago that those numbers mean very little in terms of what I think about a game. All I'm saying is I don't understand it. Not that the numbers are wrong, or that it's not popular.

It's been suggested time and again about the next game making connections between X/Y and ORAS lore-wise, and I just came up with something that would tie the knot for that. What if the post-game for Z takes place at the newly-built ORAS!Battle Frontier in Hoenn? That would be awesome.

We had the same idea. I was goint to write it right now
I cant see Battle frontier in Kalos, but it would make a lot of sense if in the post game we visit Hoenn and conect somewhow the storylines. Would be great to battle May/Brendam in the Battle Frontier as the brains, or the Hoenn champions.

While a post game Hoenn would be cool, both regions in one game in such a way would feel a bit drawn out. I mean, we just went through thw regions, and Kalos will likely be on B2W2 Unova level of different. Hoenn, on the other hand, could undergo changes too sure, but I soncerely doubtthey would do such a big timeskip. A third version alone would be a good 7 years after ORAS, sequels could well be 10 years after. And don't ask me then why the chatelaines exist, its obvious that was a copout with disregard to the canon.

GSC were after Kanto, and we went back there. It makes sense because Hoenn are already modeld in 3D. But anyway, it's not something strictly necessary. It's just a possibility. If not Hoenn, I see it happening in a future game, maybe with Kanto or Johto, as the fans go crazy asking to return to older regions.

@godiego;

Yeah I think you and Bolt the cat are right about completeness being subjective to the person. You have a valid point about HGSS as its technically a sequel of FRLG, but to me personally, it always felt like a different story but set in the same world where the previous story happened rather than being 2 halves of the same story like BW and B2W2.

To me it's like the Tolkien series, Lord of the rings trilogy to me is complete on its own, even though technically the hobbit came before it, and sort of ties in the early part of the story. Whereas two towers and fellowship of the ring for example, are clearly 2 parts of a trilogy ie the same story.

So for me personally the relationship between FRLG and HGSS is like the relationship of the Hobbit to the LOTR trilogy, whereas the relationship between BW and B2W2 is more like the relationship between fellowship and two towers.

i think the "completeness" of a game is difficult to gauge. i think i would consider that RBY is a complete game while XY are not necessarily complete, despite the fact that XY arguably has more end-game content than RBY. @Azuro; you mention that BW2 isn't complete because you need to play BW to get the whole picture. wouldn't that also be the case for HGSS? if you haven't played FRLG, wouldn't you technically not have the entire story either?

I think the incompleteness feeling is because of the few innovations. The graphics have improved, really good. The general of mechanical little changed. Few new Pokemon. No plot twists. The same premise of the stories. That's not bad, really. It's a premise that is successful and will not go wrong. But sometimes feels to be playing the same game for the sixth time. It leaves a sense of "so, it's just it?"

Some can argue about mega evolutions and fairy type, but I do not think it was something that revolutionized pokemon, to be honest. It's more a boost and necessary improvisations than something really different. I'm not complaining, XY, to me was an okay game. But not better than the others. I hope the sequel, prequel, third version or wathever improves the missing elements.

So here's a question to consider... with SMD being released between now and the Holiday Season, and Pokken getting a worldwide release in Spring 2016, where does this put our inevitable main series game? TO BE CONTINUED...

Summer or fall. SMD is most likely November, while Pokkén is Spring (March-May). So Gen. 6.5/Gen. 7 is coming after the Zygarde movie. Which I think might be a first. LOL

Here's another question to consider. Since Cosplay Pikachu has gotten more promotion than Spiky-Eared Pichu ever did, to the point that she's even in Pokkén, might she actually be transferrable to future games?

Stuff like Pokedex 3D Pro became quickly irrelevant.

You're telling me. I spent $45 buying both the 3DS and iOS versions and the developers haven't even HINTED at a Kalos expansion. -.- I've literally started spamming the official Pokémon Facebook's every post begging for a Kalos expansion and I started doing it this week.

Everyone should join in so they know the app actually does have followers. Meanwhile Camp Pokémon gets a damn update and has nothing interesting. Again.

It's been suggested time and again about the next game making connections between X/Y and ORAS lore-wise, and I just came up with something that would tie the knot for that. What if the post-game for Z takes place at the newly-built ORAS!Battle Frontier in Hoenn? That would be awesome.

We had the same idea. I was goint to write it right now
I cant see Battle frontier in Kalos, but it would make a lot of sense if in the post game we visit Hoenn and conect somewhow the storylines. Would be great to battle May/Brendam in the Battle Frontier as the brains, or the Hoenn champions.

Honestly, the only thing tying the Battle Frontier to Kalos is Looker. Or the man formerly known as Looker, since in X/Y, he gives his codename to Serena/Calem and in OR/AS, he is amnesiac and has no name.

Maybe Emma (now Lumiose's Chief of Police) asks the Z player character to accompany her on a short trip to a far-away region, where she's heard news of her father (I think Looker adopts Emma, doesn't he?). They go, and we not only get access to the Battle Frontier, we also get a cutscene of Looker reuniting with the Beauty who helped him all those years ago (now with a female Pokéfan sprite LOL) and he reveals to Emma his entire history, briefly referencing Dawn/Lucas in Platinum, Hilbert/Hilda in Black and White, and lastly, the new Looker (Serena/Calem) in X/Y. Then he somehow regains his memory, and tells us how he got to Hoenn in OR/AS (hopefully revealing that he was in fact the Police Officer in the S.S. Anne in the Kanto games).

Not only would it make sense plot-wise, it'd be a perfect way to tie in X/Y and OR/AS and even the eventual Kanto re-remakes. So naturally, GameFreak will do it when Stark Mountain freezes over. :banghead:

LOL the announcement was Pokkén, which is a spin-off.

Ishihara (President and CEO of The Pokemon Company) and 2 Namco-Bandai developers made that announcement, not Masuda.

Ok, I didn't mention Masuda, but thank you for being cute. :banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom