• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Is Generation VI really done?

Idk. I think Zyggy has nothing to do with Mega Evolution, tbh.
And couldn't it simply be a friendly nod to Emerald and nothing else? Like saying "and to show fans that we still remember Emerald, here are a few friendly nods".

Why does it HAVE to imply a future appearance of the Battle Frontier either in SM or Delta E? And why are we continuing to ignore Masuda publically saying the BF isn't interesting anymore?

I also wanna point out that ORAS was made by Shigeru Ohmori, so Ohmori putting Battle Frontier references in *his* game, doesn't mean that Masuda plans to give them any relevance in future games. I think Ohmori probably thought people would complain that the Battle Frontier wasn't even mentioned in ORAS, so he decided to at least mention it.

Also, if GF had a hypothetical Delta emerald game in mind for the future, I assure you Mega Ray wouldn't have been part of ORAS. And we wouldn't have faced Wallace's Emerald Champion Team. Those 2 would've been saved for Delta Emerald.

It's not that he's lying. It's that there was such outrage (and still is) about the Frontier's exclusion that we're all hoping Masuda figures out that there is interest in it. I'm literally replaying Emerald to get my Frontier fix because of this stupid crap with ORAS not having it.

It's not that he's lying. It's that there was such outrage (and still is) about the Frontier's exclusion that we're all hoping Masuda figures out that there is interest in it. I'm literally replaying Emerald to get my Frontier fix because of this stupid crap with ORAS not having it.
Yes, I hope that he changes his mind and includes a BF in future games, but expecting it in every game only hinders our enjoyment of the games. If he does change his opinion about it, great, but until then, there is no point expecting a feature that hasn't reappeared since Gen IV, and has appeared in a total of... 3 games. Emerald, Platinum and HGSS. It's not a staple feature.

Also, what outrage? 12 million copies of ORAS have been sold. A few hundreds, or even thousands of fans complaining about the BF´s absence isn't a huge outrage. Just a very loud minority!

I know why you are pissed off, but Masuda kinda has a point. I think most players don't care about the Battle Frontier as we have online battling nowadays. We are just a vocal minority tbh.

Last edited:
Although I'm one of the few who wants a Battle Frontier back, I admit that I never actually used it to any extent. Both Emerald's and PtHGSS's. Having a Battle Frontier would certainly be a great luxury (or at least have more options than just Maison, I'm not asking for much here) but it is something I can live without.

The battle frontier was Emerald content anyway and we all know that ORAS doesn't care about Emerald. There were plenty of signs of this gen ending: All non-event pokemon obtainable between XY and ORAS, all mythical pokemon getting released (one for each month), Magearna announcement and the reveal of Sun and Moon. I have accept that gen 6 has ended and now waiting for news on the gen 7 games.

The battle frontier was Emerald content anyway and we all know that ORAS doesn't care about Emerald.
That´s like saying "HGSS doesn´t care about Kris (the first ever female PC, from Crystal), they substituted her with a new female PC." I think GF takes decisions more deeply than this.

That´s like saying "HGSS doesn´t care about Kris (the first ever female PC, from Crystal), they substituted her with a new female PC." I think GF takes decisions more deeply than this.
Kris needed to be updated. HGSS at least had Eusine and Suicune thing. ORAS didn't really had anything but they are fine games anyway.

Exactly, Kris needed updating, but instead of updating her, they outright substituted her for an other PC. Anyway, I personally prefer Lyra, I was just using Kris as an example.

And ORAS does have Emerald content, just not all of it.
If there was Emerald content then it was the not very important bits from it.

I would say that the Emerald content in OR/AS is much more lacking compared to the Crystal content in HG/SS, but I wouldn't say that they didn't care about Emerald either. There were homages and references to some of the events in Emerald during the end of OR/AS in particular. While I am still disappointed about the lack of a Battle Frontier and I would like to see it in a future game, it isn't a make or break kind of deal for me. The main reason I wanted to see the Battle Frontier in OR/AS was because of how I never got all of the Frontier Symbols in Emerald and I wanted to do so with my new teams. It would have been more fun and probably less time consuming than the flag quest turned out to be.

Still, if it doesn't show up again, I can live with it. I'm not a huge fan of the Battle Mansion, but if they can provide some improvements on it or offer some different new battle areas in the futures, then that could work too.

Both Team Magma and Aqua got equal screentime in both games regardless of which version (unlike original RS). Rayquaza was featured heavily in the Delta Episode. I'd say ORAS did feature the important bits of Emerald.

They may have included the important story stuff from Emerald, but the functional features like the updated Gym Leader teams and Gym Leader rematches were left out.

They may have included the important story stuff from Emerald, but the functional features like the updated Gym Leader teams and Gym Leader rematches were left out.
Maybe because gym leaders could only be rematch by matchcall which isn't ready in ORAS.

And FRLG didn't have the updated teams from Yellow. Remakes of an original pair of games do not need to strictly follow everything changed or introduced in the third version, especially considering the remakes themselves are a much bigger update than anything a third version could bring.

Yeah, but if you ask me, wondering why GF omitted Gym Leader rematches from OR/AS is secondary to wondering why they omit them from *any* games, when they don't seem as though they would be all that hard to include.

To compensate, OR/AS did have the Battle Resort's Type Masters who serve a similar function. But lately I have begun to think, maybe we are looking at it backward compared to them. We tend to see Gym Leader rematches as a justifying point for making a third version/follow-up game, but maybe GF don't see Gym Leader rematches as anything essential, and only ever had the opposite perspective of, "Okay, so, we've got to push this game somehow despite it being basically the same game they already payed for. How can we make it a bit more worthwhile? Maybe let them fight the Gym Leaders with stronger teams?" So, instead of Gym Leader rematches justifying the creation of a third version game, it is actually, from their point-of-view, the creation of third version games that justifies the inclusion of Gym Leader rematches. And since they are no longer making third version games, maybe they see no need for rematches?

But again, it beats me as to why they can't just put them in every game from the get-go. I mean, they sort of did in X/Y, but that was through the Battle Chateau, and that's not quite the same thing, and then you have the issue of the Elite Four not having rematch teams despite it being perfectly doable in B/W.

Think about it this way, guys, the Maison is basically just the Battle Tower, so it at least has the basics down (with, at the very least, a format of BP earning that I enjoy far better than the ones in the past so it has that going for it). I'm not gonna comment on it too much because enough has been said on it already and there's a topic for it where all this discussion can take place.

Except that people would complain that taking Zygarde to a NPC/object is "unfaithful" to how the formes were portrayed in other media, that "what is the point of introducing the cores and cells if you just take Zygarde to a NPC?"
Yeah, that's the problem here - lore vs. laziness, essentially. It's a matter of how much of that backstory they want to incorporate, and how they want to implement it as a game mechanic. Maybe some sort of device, or maybe the Zygarde Core being a key item, perhaps? I dunno, really, I'm just thinking off the top of my head very hastily just to throw down a couple of ideas, I'm sure others who are more passionate can expand on that idea in other threads.

Yeah, but if you ask me, wondering why GF omitted Gym Leader rematches from OR/AS is secondary to wondering why they omit them from *any* games, when they don't seem as though they would be all that hard to include.

To compensate, OR/AS did have the Battle Resort's Type Masters who serve a similar function. But lately I have begun to think, maybe we are looking at it backward compared to them. We tend to see Gym Leader rematches as a justifying point for making a third version/follow-up game, but maybe GF don't see Gym Leader rematches as anything essential, and only ever had the opposite perspective of, "Okay, so, we've got to push this game somehow despite it being basically the same game they already payed for. How can we make it a bit more worthwhile? Maybe let them fight the Gym Leaders with stronger teams?" So, instead of Gym Leader rematches justifying the creation of a third version game, it is actually, from their point-of-view, the creation of third version games that justifies the inclusion of Gym Leader rematches. And since they are no longer making third version games, maybe they see no need for rematches?

But again, it beats me as to why they can't just put them in every game from the get-go. I mean, they sort of did in X/Y, but that was through the Battle Chateau, and that's not quite the same thing, and then you have the issue of the Elite Four not having rematch teams despite it being perfectly doable in B/W.
You might be right, that's a good logic, regarding Gym Leader rematches.

But I also have an alternative possible reasoning. Maybe Game Freak don't know that some of us actually enjoy rebattling gym leaders just for the sake of rebattling them. Maybe GF look at things from a more practical point view, and include Gym Leader rematches in games that don't have enough leveling up sources.

In Pokemon Emerald there are no good places to level up. The Pokemon League doesn't have postgame upgrades, and the Match Call trainers are around level 35- 40. So Gym Leader rematches help leveling up.

In Platinum, there are Pokemon League rematches and VS Seeker, but fighting the gym leaders still comes handy, as you don't have to walk a certain amount of steps and wait.

In BW2 it's a different story, because they don't give experience and can be rematches indefinitely.

In XY there are practically no ways to level up other than the Battle Chateau, which the gym leaders are part of, other than the Lumiose Restaurants.

In ORAS, leveling up is so easy, that GF maybe found Gym Leader rematches redundant. There are post game Pokemon League rematches, Battle Resort Masters, Food Court, Trainer Eye rematch trainers are around level 45- 55, and of course the Blissey Bases. So GF probably considered Gym Leader rematches redundant for ORAS.

That was a problem I had with ORAS though, they ignored the improvements already made to RS just to make some improvements in other areas. It felt like a case of one step forward two steps back. GF gets on my nerves, they'll give us something that's a vast improvement from previous systems and take it back in the next entry and then give some stupid excuse as to why. They did it with trainer customization and the battle frontier, and I'm sure if someone asked Masuda why the Emerald teams aren't in ORAS he'd be like "Oh well we thought that casual players didn't like Emerald" or something like that.

That was a problem I had with ORAS though, they ignored the improvements already made to RS just to make some improvements in other areas. It felt like a case of one step forward two steps back. GF gets on my nerves, they'll give us something that's a vast improvement from previous systems and take it back in the next entry and then give some stupid excuse as to why. They did it with trainer customization and the battle frontier, and I'm sure if someone asked Masuda why the Emerald teams aren't in ORAS he'd be like "Oh well we thought that casual players didn't like Emerald" or something like that.
Expecting Trainer Customization in a remake of games from 12 years ago doesn't make sense in my opinion. Brendan and May are too well known to be customized. Same applies for potential future remakes.

Also, considering how GF want to make the games easier for the casuals, giving Wattson a Manectric, or Liza and Tate having twice as many Pokemon, like in Emerald, would be doing the opposite of what they want.

And about the Frontier, it really sucks how they don't think it is enjoyable nowadays. But that's more of a general issue with the franchise since 2009, not something ORAS particularly is responsible for. Not having it in Gen V was a sign of their intentions. Gen VI continues the trend. And Gen VII won't be any different, I think.

Last edited:
We can assume Gen 6 is done but:

Lots of homework made to GF over our satifaction. Man, XY didn't do much interesting storyline and ORAS provides no challenging trainers as if that they were as lazy as heck. If S/M is released, then the focus goes to above points I said.

Sure, you can say Gen 6 is awesome, however IMO, most plot works were losing to Gen 5 along with new Pokemon numbers. While I don't mind the latter, plots are the only reason I wanted to play rather than experiencing new systems which sound pretty meh.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom