• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Is Generation VI really done?

Expecting Trainer Customization in a remake of games from 12 years ago doesn't make sense in my opinion. Brendan and May are too well known to be customized. Same applies for potential future remakes.

Also, considering how GF want to make the games easier for casuals, giving Wattson a Manectric, or Liza and Tate having twice as many Pokemon, like in Emerald, wouldn't make sense.

And about the Frontier, it really sucks how they don't think it is enjoyable nowadays. But that's more of a general issue with the franchise since 2009, not something ORAS particularly is responsible for. Not having it in Gen V was a sign of their intentions. Gen VI continues the trend. And Gen VII won't be any different, I think.

I agree with you for Brendan and May, but saying that trainer customization was only a Kalos thing was worrying.

I don't like how GF is going about trying to make the games easier. ORAS was much too easy, plowing through the game with almost no challenges and then being handed a Mega Lati@s isn't fun. GF says they're trying to compete with mobile games, but I don't think that's a fight they should be having. If someone's bought the 3DS required to play your game then they've already jumped over the biggest hurdle. The people that have a 3DS didn't buy them for mobile games, they bought it for fleshed out experiences. Also the fact that they're releasing so many Pokemon mobile apps anyway just makes their statement seem so hollow to me.

It's not just the Battle Frontier, its any kind of interesting battle facility to begin with. In B2W2, we had the Battle Subway, the Pokémon World Tournament, and the White Treehollow/Black Tower. In ORAS we have the Battle Maison, which is already a step backwards from XY that has the Battle Maison and Battle Chateau.

new Pokemon numbers
I prefer that they slow down, personally, much like they ended up doing in Gen VI, because while there are many ideas, using 'em up too quickly may end up stifling the potential to make the new Pokémon varied with each Generation that passes.

Also the fact that they're releasing so many Pokemon mobile apps anyway just makes their statement seem so hollow to me.
To me, I think that's taking what they said the wrong way - I think they released those mobile apps in the first place because they want to take advantage of the people who do indeed spend more time on their phone than their 3DS. I mean, just because it's a Pokémon game on mobile doesn't mean their statement is disproven - that's still playing Pokémon on a mobile as opposed to playing Pokémon on a handheld game console in that case. Of course, don't take my words to heart, I'm just pointing that out. It's not like it's a case of "If it's got the name Pokémon, then it MUST be Pokémon" kind of deal, since the kinds of apps and games they release are much different for the most part.

But I don't like how GF is going about trying to make the games easier. ORAS was much too easy, plowing through the game with almost no challenges and then being handed a Mega Lati@s isn't fun. GF says they're trying to compete with mobile games, but I don't think that's a fight they should be having. If someone's bought the 3DS required to play your game then they've already jumped over the biggest hurdle. The people that have a 3DS didn't buy them for mobile games, they bought it for fleshed out experiences. Also the fact that they're releasing so many Pokemon mobile apps anyway just makes their statement seem so hollow to me.
I don't like how they are making the main game easier either. However, it's not a big deal for me, as I play mainly for the post game. And it's not ORAS, or XY. Gen VII will surely not be any different in regards of the difficulty, therefore, get used to it xD
It's not just the Battle Frontier, its any kind of interesting battle facility to begin with.
Agreed, not having an expanded Battle Facility is the only real issue I have with Gen VI. However, this is compensated with the increase of side games. Amie, Super Training, Contests, Secret Bases, DexNav, etc. More than in XY and previous generations. So, less hardcore content, but more side activities.
In ORAS we have the Battle Maison, which is already a step backwards from XY that has the Battle Maison and Battle Chateau.
This is not true though. The Battle Chateau is not a facility. It is a place for daily battles against some NPCs, with no special facility rules or anything. ORAS has Super Secret Base battles, which give A LOT more playtime than the Battle Chateau. ORAS was definitely a step up from XY in that regard, not a step back.

Last edited:
ORAS has Super Secret Base battles, which give A LOT more playtime than the Battle Chateau. ORAS was definitely a step up from XY in that regard, not a step back.
All that money, though... lol

I don't like how they are making the main game easier either. However, it's not a big deal for me, as I play mainly for the post game. And it's not ORAS, or XY. Gen VII will surely not be any different in regards of the difficulty, therefore, get used to it xD
I get most of my enjoyment out of the main game, so this change is hurting my enjoyment of the games. I'm glad that its not bothering you though. Also I feel like accepting every change, including ones that are bad, is a disservice to the series and only allows them to think every change they make is for good.

This is not true though. The Battle Chateau is not a facility. It is a place for daily battles against a fee NPCs, with no special rules or anything. ORAS has Super Secret Base battles, which give A LOT more playtime than the Battle Chateau. ORAS was definitely a step up from XY in that regard, not a step back.
I forgot about secret bases. I don't think that bases are a perfect replacement of the Chateau, as they have a higher barrier of entry to even begin using.

I get most of my enjoyment out of the main game, so this change is hurting my enjoyment of the games. I'm glad that its not bothering you though. Also I feel like accepting every change, including ones that are bad, is a disservice to the series and only allows them to think every change they make is for good.
I am sorry it affects your enjoyment... The thing is, they don't listen to fans anyway and always do what THEY want. They have always been like that. XD
I forgot about secret bases. I don't think that bases are a perfect replacement of the Chateau, as they have a higher barrier of entry to even begin using.
What entry?

Also, remember you have up to 30 secret bases, with 6 trainers in each, and potential level 100 Pokemon for all of them, if you scan the correct ones. That's a lot more than what the Chateau offers (Diantha has a maximum of level 80s, and everybody else is 10 levels lower at max writs)

Last edited:
What entry?
The Battle Chateau instantly works. Secret Bases requires you to interact with someone online, Streetpass them, or scan QR codes for them to work.

Also, remember you have up to 30 secret bases, with 6 trainers in each, and potential level 100 Pokemon for all of them, if you scan the correct ones. That's a lot more than what the Chateau offers.
I'm not saying the rewards aren't great, they really are. But it requires you to know what to look for to get those rewards. That's not a bad thing though.

I play mainly for the main game, and I don't mind it being easier. It was never particularly difficult, and most of the "difficulty" consisted of tedious grinding rather than interesting difficulty problems to be overcome the hard way. That's not actual difficulty, that's lazy game design and poor gameplay. Grinding pretty much never is a good game mechanism.

Quite honestly, all that the grinding bullshit ever achieved for me was make me play with mini-teams. I've had a lot of E4 run in Gen II-IV where I had only three or so competitive pokémon. It didn't make the run significantly harder (because those three pokémon were ridiculous, since they got essentially all the XP from every fight). It's not that I didn't like pokémon available later in the game, but I didn't like having to level them up from nothing by grinding against stupid wild mons for a pittance of XP.

Making the main game easier by making grinding less important and XP easier to get is a massive *improvement* to the game. It means I actually get to use 'mons that only appear later in the game, because it'S much easier to have them catch up to the rest of the team without nearly as much stupid-ass waste of time.

Last edited:
True that. To be honest it makes it really, really annoying when I run out of money for vitamins and Poké Balls.
I am not completely sure, but I've heard that a good and easy way to win money in ORAS, is rebattling the Rich Boys on the Trainer Eye list. Unlike in RSE, where they needed a lot of time to reload, in ORAS the Trainer eye trainers are "match ready!" every five minutes or so, allowing for quick money winning.

Or they decided to have something different and not as predictable as having a battle frontier in every single "third version"?
Exactly, that's what I meant. I wasn't criticizing Gen V.

Last edited:
I play mainly for the main game, and I don't mind it being easier. It was never particularly difficult, and most of the "difficulty" consisted of tedious grinding rather than interesting difficulty problems to be overcome the hard way. That's not actual difficulty, that's lazy game design and poor gameplay. Grinding pretty much never is a good game mechanism.

Making the main game easier by making grinding less important and XP easier to get is a massive *improvement* to the game. It means I actually get to use 'mons that only appear later in the game, because it'S much easier to have them catch up to the rest of the team without nearly as much stupid-ass waste of time.

I agree, as much as am iffy on the Gen VI Exp. Share it did a lot of good in making grinding much less of a thing.

By easy I mean being handed a legendary halfway through the game and being teleported, sometimes involuntarily, to locations that the game considers most important.

I am not completely sure, but I've heard that a good and easy way to win money in ORAS, is rebattling the Rich Boys on the Trainer Eye list. Unlike in RSE, where they needed a lot of time to reload, in ORAS the Trainer eye trainers are "match ready!" every five minutes or so, allowing for quick money winning.
Mmm, yeah, that's about as reliable as it gets, unfortunately. The Battle Chateau has the benefit of the Writs, and while they're only active for 24 hours, you're able to send certain ones to stack their effects together - maximising your winnings and making you a million in the span of a mere hour, at least once you have the ability to send them.
By easy I mean being handed a legendary halfway through the game and being teleported, sometimes involuntarily, to locations that the game considers most important.
Why not try switching them out on the first turn :V

See, what came to mind when I first read what you said was Xerneas and Yveltal, though I guess in this case you're referring to Latias/Latios.
(Apologies for the relatively irrelevant posts.)

Mmm, yeah, that's about as reliable as it gets, unfortunately. The Battle Chateau has the benefit of the Writs, and while they're only active for 24 hours, you're able to send certain ones to stack their effects together - maximising your winnings and making you a million in the span of a mere hour, at least once you have the ability to send them.
Yeah, Kalos has more effective money winning abilities but I still dislike how expensive the writs can be.

Also, for both XY and ORAS, I think the easiest way to win money is just rock smash rocks for Big Nuggets, and other similar items.

Battle Chateau was one of my favourte things about X/Y. Raising my rank there and leveling up was fun.

Also a handy place to drop by in for a change of pace while I was doing a lot of egg-hatching.

I strongly agree with evil figment, pokemon has never been particularly hard for me and I didn't consider XY or ORAS any easier than any other pokemon game I've played in the last 8 years. In addition being given a mega lati doesn't make the game much easier nor is it overpowered. Mega latios has a special attack stat of 160, mega latias has 140, both 110 speed. Meanwhile just out of your starters alone mega blaziken has 160 attack with 100 speed + speed boost, mega sceptile has 145 for both special attack and speed (meaning a stronger and faster attacker than mega latias) and mega swampert also has 150 attack with swift swim allowing it to outspeed. Then there's megas available to you such as gardevoir, medicham, manectric, mawile, heracross and salamence which are all stronger than the lati's. Many fully evolved non-mega pokemon also reach the same attacking stats as the non-mega lati's, but they're mainly found in Sinnoh and Unova (think chandelure, conkeldurr, etc.) Sure the lati's have a bit better bulk but you're honestly not going to notice a lot of a difference between using an alakazam or a latias in-game other than its typing.

Quite honestly, all that the grinding bullshit ever achieved for me was make me play with mini-teams. I've had a lot of E4 run in Gen II-IV where I had only three or so competitive pokémon. It didn't make the run significantly harder (because those three pokémon were ridiculous, since they got essentially all the XP from every fight). It's not that I didn't like pokémon available later in the game, but I didn't like having to level them up from nothing by grinding against stupid wild mons for a pittance of XP.

This is why I like the EXP Share in XY. It makes grinding so much easier and more importantly quicker. I love playing these games with full teams, but it does get very tedious and tiresome having to do all that grinding, especially in earlier games like RBY where there's not too many good wild Pokemon that give a lot of experience points. In my last playthrough of Red, I decided to skip Eevee for something else until I got to Fuschia, when I changed my mind and decided to train it as a Jolteon. It took me about two days grinding between the Pokemon Tower and Power Plant to get its level up with the others. Now that's in no way hard - it's just extremely tedious.

I mean even if I were to turn off the Exp Share in XY, it wouldn't necessarily make the game harder, it would just give me a little more work but I would still manage in the end just as I have done with every other game. The games have, frankly, always been easy.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom