• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

CoroCoro Thread (Pages are Leaking, Bewear of Spoilers!)

I think Corocoro likely didn't give any news that time was because TPC probably didn't want them to. Regarding YW in Japan, it's not that Pokémon is fading away there or it's just that YW was something really new and hip that children liked so folks just pandered to it to cash in on it. Pokémon is still popular there.

Honestly, I have my doubts about that last sentence tbh. I was in Japan for a week back in January (3 days in Kyoto, 3 days in Tokyo and a day in Osaka) and all I saw was a small volcanion movie poster and one single Tretta machine (other than when I went to Pokemon Centre Mega Tokyo, which tbh was much smalller than I expected). Yokai Watch on the other hand, was everywhere. Game Freak really needs to step up their advertising for Sun and Moon if they want to stay relevant.

As for Corocoro, I do honestly believe that this month we will get news from them. The official site update is on the 2nd, Corocoro won't leak until the 11th at least. I don't think we'll get a lot from Corocoro, but I do think we'll get something. Maybe a new pokemon or two, or official art of the player characters, something small.

Honestly, I have my doubts about that last sentence tbh. I was in Japan for a week back in January (3 days in Kyoto, 3 days in Tokyo and a day in Osaka) and all I saw was a small volcanion movie poster and one single Tretta machine (other than when I went to Pokemon Centre Mega Tokyo, which tbh was much smalller than I expected). Yokai Watch on the other hand, was everywhere. Game Freak really needs to step up their advertising for Sun and Moon if they want to stay relevant.
Yokai watch isn't so relevant in the west as in Japan tough. Sure, it's more popular than Pokémon in Japan, however, it completely flopped outside of it(The first YW game sold about ~500 000 copies in the US iirc)

Yes, I know that Japan is more important since that's the home country of Pokémon, but the series is still very successful worldwide even with Yokai Watch competing. It would take multiple failed entries in the series for pokemon to be in any danger. And by "failed", I mean a main series title with really, really low sales(ex: only 50 000 worldwide) Also, there was no main series title announced in January. That's probably why you didn't see a lot of Pokémon promotions.

Last edited:
Yokai watch isn't so relevant in the west as in Japan tough.
He was talking about Japan.

Sure, it's more popular than Pokémon in Japan, however, it completely flopped outside of it(The first YW game sold about ~500 000 copies in the US iirc)
Probably lower than 500,000, and yet that is no flop by any reasonable definition. Besides, the first game didn't have impressive sales even in Japan, especially in its first 6 months. It's the sequels that turned the franchise into a hit.

It would take multiple failed entries in the series for pokemon to be in any danger. And by "failed", I mean a main series title with really, really low sales(ex: only 50 000 worldwide) Also, there was no main series title announced in January. That's probably why you didn't see a lot of Pokémon promotions.
No one said anything about any danger. But TPC would be pretty stupid to be lax about promoting Sun and Moon to Japanese kids. And it almost seems as if they've stopped caring about the movies these days, with how dull a choice Magearna is for a movie star (and Volcanion being uninteresting at this point).

Last edited:
He was talking about Japan.
Yes, I know that. What I was trying to say is that even if yokai watch is more popular than pokemon in Japan, it's not really not that big outside of it, so I don't think it's that much of a treat to the series.
Probably lower than 500,000, and yet that is no flop by any reasonable definition. Besides, the first game didn't have impressive sales even in Japan, especially in its first 6 months.
Ok then.
No one said anything about any danger. But TPC would be pretty stupid to be lax about promoting Sun and Moon to Japanese kids.
He said : "Game Freak really needs to step up their advertising for Sun and Moon if they want to stay relevant." Yes, it would be dump from TPC's part to be lax about Sun and Moon's promotion, but I'm just saying that the series isn't in a risk of becoming ''irrevelant''.

Yes, I know that. What I was trying to say is that even if yokai watch is more popular than pokemon in Japan, it's not really not that big outside of it, so I don't think it's that much of a treat to the series.

Ok then.

He said : "Game Freak really needs to step up their advertising for Sun and Moon if they want to stay relevant." Yes, it would be dump from TPC's part to be lax about Sun and Moon's promotion, but I'm just saying that the series isn't in a risk of becoming ''irrevelant''.

I did say that, yes. While I'm happy that the proper advertising campaign has started, I do worry that Yokai Watch is slowly taking over Pokemon's advertising channels, like Corocoro. While I do prefer the way they seem to be handling it, I hope they don't make Corocoro irrelevant simply because it is a source of advertising that Yokai Watch would otherwise have.

Corocoro does still have their annual movie manga serial though, so it is still relevant to the franchise, just not to Sun and Moon. I just hope their tease this month (that they're going to be the main source of news) means they'll have an exclusive scoop next month.

The point is that it will be a sad day if Pokemon's popularity among Japanese kids continues to decline, considering they were the initial target audience.

Japanese kids still are the main target audience, I don't think that will ever change, but it has become a franchise for all ages. To my knowledge, and looking at the issue I bought when I was in Japan, Corocoro has the same target audience (most of the pages are quite flashy imo).

Btw, was the June 2nd announcement ever announced by Pokemon outside of Japan? Everything I've seen seems to indicate that only the Japanese Twitter, Facebook, etc. have said anything about it...

The point is that it will be a sad day if Pokemon's popularity among Japanese kids continues to decline, considering they were the initial target audience.
Not only Japanese kids, but also the kids worldwide. And speaking of kids being the initial target audience... I've seen a program on TV where a celebrity who's also a pokemon fan appeared to talk about Pokemon. The program was mostly focused on appealing to nostalgia - targeting the adults, but at the same time they were also giving out that "pokemon is for kids" vibe, all the while rarely mentioning anything about the recent series (90% of the show used the OS to reference pokemon). It seems that with Pokemon existing for so long, even promoting pokemon on TV seems to be lost on how to market pokemon and seem confused on who is the target. Is it for the kids 'then'? or for the kids 'now'?

Btw, was the June 2nd announcement ever announced by Pokemon outside of Japan? Everything I've seen seems to indicate that only the Japanese Twitter, Facebook, etc. have said anything about it...
Yes, the annoucement was also mentioned on the american und european Pokémon Twitter, so it seems to be something important. Only 5 days left, so we will find out soon and be hopefully happy.

I'm all for The Pokémon Company controlling their own news, but not when it gets to the point that they would rather continue letting CoroCoro constantly tease us about Sun and Moon news when it's never coming. If they're doing it online, then they should stop CoroCoro from claiming themselves as the number one source for Pokémon Sun and Moon news when TPC has no intention of giving any to them for their magazine. Sure they'd lose presence in magazines to Yo-Kai Watch completely, but is that really feeding faithful readers lies about things that are never going to happen? Seriously, not only is this getting annoying to fans, but by doing this TPC is actually hurting CoroCoro's reputation, not to mention it's a wasted opportunity to try and reclaim their sponsors back from Yo-Kai Watch. Wouldn't it be better for all parties if TPC to either give CoroCoro something to work with, or just tell them to stop teasing their audience with something that's never going to come?

Seriously TPC and TCPi, stop teasing us! Between being teased Zygarde forms which may not ever come to the main games, Game Freak's troll in ORAS with a sign saying the Battle Frontier is about to come despite Masuda saying in an interview that no one would pay attention to it, and many other loose plot threads of XY that Game Fereak doesn't seem to care about solving, Gen. 6 seems to be the generation of trolling! I'd rather this "teasing but not delivering pattern" stop in regards to Sun and Moon. Pretty please, GF and TPC?

Game Freak's troll in ORAS with a sign saying the Battle Frontier is about to come despite Masuda saying in an interview that no one would pay attention to it,
That's not trolling. It was just a small litlle easter egg to emerald snd that's it.

and many other loose plot threads of XY that Game Fereak doesn't seem to care about solving,
Again, that's not "trolling". It just means that XY are underdevelopped in some areas.

@Zeb; @~Dreamscape~; Thanks!

But yeah, while waiting for CoroCoro scans was exciting, I will not at all mind that we get the news at the same time all around the world at the same time.

As for Corocoro, I do honestly believe that this month we will get news from them. The official site update is on the 2nd, Corocoro won't leak until the 11th at least. I don't think we'll get a lot from Corocoro, but I do think we'll get something. Maybe a new pokemon or two, or official art of the player characters, something small.
I mean in a sense that it sells extremely well over there , ( heck Pokémon literally dominated the Eshop here and there. I'd would've liked to remain a good middle man but I'll say it, it's clear that Nintendo and by extension GF want Pokémon to be a global brand now and not something that's popular mainly in Japan but doing so-so to outright flopping everywhere else like YW. Moreover it doesn't make sense to have such a huge fanfare and reveal loads about your game ( like they did was Gen 6 as a whole) then for we the fans to have nothing left to look forward to. As for the Corocoro scenario, it imo makes little sense for them to allow the leaks to beat them to the punch in this day and age because when they upload the trailers for whatever the leaks showed the "surprise" factor is lost completely, so them handling the information this way is a far better idea especially for a global brand

I mean in a sense that it sells extremely well over there , ( heck Pokémon literally dominated the Eshop here and there. I'd would've liked to remain a good middle man but I'll say it, it's clear that Nintendo and by extension GF want Pokémon to be a global brand now and not something that's popular mainly in Japan but doing so-so to outright flopping everywhere else like YW. Moreover it doesn't make sense to have such a huge fanfare and reveal loads about your game ( like they did was Gen 6 as a whole) then for we the fans to have nothing left to look forward to. As for the Corocoro scenario, it imo makes little sense for them to allow the leaks to beat them to the punch in this day and age because when they upload the trailers for whatever the leaks showed the "surprise" factor is lost completely, so them handling the information this way is a far better idea especially for a global brand

While I do see what you mean about Pokemon becoming a worldwide brand, and I'm happy about that, I disagree about the surprise factor. Personally, I think the suprise factor has been lost be the way they're handling it now. Now, we know exactly when we're getting news, and there's no reason to be surprised. I like leaks simply because we never know when the news will drop. To me, the most exciting thing about any pre-release period is not knowing when news will drop simply because we could get news at any moment. With the scheduled updates, there's less reason to expect news at other times, and therefore less reason to be hyped any other day.

I'm all for The Pokémon Company controlling their own news, but not when it gets to the point that they would rather continue letting CoroCoro constantly tease us about Sun and Moon news when it's never coming. If they're doing it online, then they should stop CoroCoro from claiming themselves as the number one source for Pokémon Sun and Moon news when TPC has no intention of giving any to them for their magazine. Sure they'd lose presence in magazines to Yo-Kai Watch completely, but is that really feeding faithful readers lies about things that are never going to happen? Seriously, not only is this getting annoying to fans, but by doing this TPC is actually hurting CoroCoro's reputation, not to mention it's a wasted opportunity to try and reclaim their sponsors back from Yo-Kai Watch. Wouldn't it be better for all parties if TPC to either give CoroCoro something to work with, or just tell them to stop teasing their audience with something that's never going to come?

Seriously TPC and TCPi, stop teasing us! Between being teased Zygarde forms which may not ever come to the main games, Game Freak's troll in ORAS with a sign saying the Battle Frontier is about to come despite Masuda saying in an interview that no one would pay attention to it, and many other loose plot threads of XY that Game Fereak doesn't seem to care about solving, Gen. 6 seems to be the generation of trolling! I'd rather this "teasing but not delivering pattern" stop in regards to Sun and Moon. Pretty please, GF and TPC?

I think Corocoro's constant teasing was their way of keeping Sun and Moon fresh in our minds during the early days of the prerelease. I'm not saying that it's a good thing however, quite the opposite when you consider that the fandom, after a year with virtually no gaming news beyond the zygarde formes and ash-greninja (see next paragraph) is likely to react angrily just as you have. The first three months of the BW (Feb-May 2010) and XY (Jan-April 2013) had no news whatsoever (except for sylveon being shown in the case of the latter). In this day and age, the less-hardcore fans will drift away if you don't keep their attention, this was their way of doing so.

As for the zygarde formes and Ash-greninja, they have types given in the official site, and have appeared in Shuffle, Picross, the TCG and the anime. it's safe to say they'll be in Sun and Moon. I think the postgame "episode" will be a Zygarde-themed return to Kalos. Ash-greninja on the other hand, is in my opinon an example of a new form of evolution that'll be in Sun and Moon. There is a precedent for this, Ash took Aipom to Sinnoh, Aipom later got a Gen IV evo (Ambipom) that said Aipom evolved into.

Ash-greninja on the other hand, is in my opinon an example of a new form of evolution that'll be in Sun and Moon. There is a precedent for this, Ash took Aipom to Sinnoh, Aipom later got a Gen IV evo (Ambipom) that said Aipom evolved into.
That's hardly a precedent, considering that Aipom evolved well after DP's release and wasn't designed to look like an anime character. I very much doubt that Ash Greninja will be carried over to the new anime series, seeing as they're already exhausting its story potential.

That's hardly a precedent, considering that Aipom evolved well after DP's release and wasn't designed to look like an anime character. I very much doubt that Ash Greninja will be carried over to the new anime series, seeing as they're already exhausting its story potential.

True, but my point was more that Aipom was a hint as to what was to come, just like Ash-Greninja. Speaking of Ambipom though, was it revealed post-release?.

EDIT: Yes it was. So Ash caught Aipom before we knew Ambipom was a thing.

Back
Top Bottom