• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's nostalgic for one isn't always going to be valued by someone else. If you're younger than me, and did not become a fan in the original series, those characters and adventures probably won't mean much. For example, Sailor Moon and Rurouni Kenshin are very nostalgic for me, but for my cousin, shows like Naruto and Kimi Ni Todoke bring up many emotions from when she was younger.

Ninja Turtles is amazing to my older brothers, but because the 80s is before my time, it doesn't mean much to me. You can put it on in front of me right now, and it'll do nothing for me. Does that take away the show's value? In their eyes? In that time period?

Simply liking one season better than another does not take away that Pokemon Gen 1 was it's most successful generation. The worldwide money made while the first movie was in theatres was astronomical. It doesn't matter that many think Dento and Citron are better than Takeshi or that many argue that Hikari, Haruka, Iris, and Serena were developed better than Kasumi. The company is being smart, working on something to bring the series to its high pedestal.

We don't know anything about the movie. We know a title, a picture, and a very small snippet that wouldn't be enough to tell you about an episode, much less a movie. Saying over and over again, "This is episode one all over again, and it's bad so I won't waste money" is honestly petty and isn't going to change the company's mind about releasing the movie. Not liking generation 1 isn't going to change anything.

This would be the first pokemon movie that would be a complete failure in my opinion. The title itself says what the movie is about. I Choose You is the name of Episode one of the anime series. They are basically doing a copy and paste.

This would be the first pokemon movie that would be a complete failure in my opinion. The title itself says what the movie is about. I Choose You is the name of Episode one of the anime series. They are basically doing a copy and paste.
That has yet to be seen from future trailers. The title alone doesn't say much about what the movie will be about.

You don't know that. Obviously this movie is going to be nostalgia driven but saying it's going to be a copy-paste based on... well a 30 second teaser and poster is utter ridiculous. Please don't present your opinion as fact and as if you know everything better than anyone else.

As much as OS gives me nostalgia I would much rather see an S&M movie as well tbh. But I'm still really interested and open to this idea, also simply because there is virtually nothing that says this is going to be a blatant copy of the beginnings of Ash's journey. For all we know they go in a different direction and come up with a new and original storyline that is still entertaining and nostalgic.

Arceus, you've said this many times without seeing the movie.
If you predicted the future, I'll send you 99 cents through PayPal... and you can buy a cookie. You can use this thread and the 99 cents and send a screenshot to the company as proof of your amazing abilities then tell them what their movie should be about next.

I expect nothing but the best from you when this happens.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but a glossy re-telling of Pokemon OS with some of the original music is waaay more exciting to me than another "here's a big legendary Pokemon smashing stuff up and Satoshi has to fix it" sort of movie. I'm generally not a huge fan of the movies anyway, so this will be a nice change. Icing on the cake for me would be if they used "Kaze to Issho ni" somehow. *swoon*
Also assuming they might not have a Pikachu short again? Might be too early to tell. But they could make the short Alola-themed just to satisfy the current narrative. Would be a nice balance!

There's a lot more to this than they're letting on, cause the teaser never reveals much about the actual film. I mean the last film's first teaser was showing Perfect Zygarde, before the reveal that it would be about Magearna and Volcanion. The first page here shows that the first teaser showed Rowlet, Litten, and Popplio and this teaser shows Ash preparing for his journey through Kanto. There's a lot we don't know and its probably gonna be another few months before we get full plot details or anything.

Edit: This could be an alternate reality for all we know and Ultra Beasts cause OS!Ash to fall through a portal and meet up with SM!Ash.

You don't know that. Obviously this movie is going to be nostalgia driven but saying it's going to be a copy-paste based on... well a 30 second teaser and poster is utter ridiculous. Please don't present your opinion as fact and as if you know everything better
I didn't present it as fact or know better. Please don't say things that are not true. I just have a feeling this movie would suck in my opinion.

I didn't present it as fact or know better. Stop making up stuff about me. Lying is wrong.
I'm not making stuff up about you, nor am I lying. I'm basing what I say on your posts. Saying "They are basically doing a copy and paste" is presenting your opinion as fact as you are not leaving any room open for the possibility that this not going to be the case. Honestly, we don't know. It's way too early to know and there is way too little to go by to base your statements on.

I have a feeling this movie would suck.
This is much better, at least you're clarifying this is your feeling and not presenting anything as fact. But honestly, we get it. You don't like this and that's completely fine. But you don't have to repeat yourself so much. It seems you're not even giving this movie a chance. Be my guest, but you have very little to stand on when you say this is going to suck other than your own gut feelings, because there is very little to go by.

lol It's obvious OLM's going for nostalgia with an OS movie after the recent ones' performance.

Anyway I'm glad they're going back to Houou after 11 years... C'mon, give it a proper story other than cheap cameos to symbolise how "important" Satoshi is.

...Kanto, which holds no nostalgic value in me whatsoever.
Well I'm sorry for you in this case. However, for a vast proportion of fans, Kanto is the most emotive region of the franchise. I don't believe this applies just to the 90s kids either. It is certainly possible to have nostalgia for a time you never experienced yourself and I know some millennium+ babies who think that the anime post-Misty was dead. (They missed out on some great stuff, I know.)
But when I think anniversary celebration I imagine celebrating the entire franchise up to that point. Instead we get a constant spotlight on the part of the franchise that I find the most dull. Diamond and Pearl just turned 10 years old but since they aren't Gen 1 they've haven't been talked about at all.
Well we have just had Generations, giving an equal billing to all 6 regions till date. The problem with a franchise as long-running as this is that it's hard to reminisce on everything, and if they have to pick just one aspect, it makes sense every time for it to be Gen 1.
Icing on the cake for me would be if they used "Kaze to Issho ni" somehow. *swoon*
Oh my days. You know this morning I was fantasising about a retooling of Hyaku-go-ju-ichi to whatever number we're up to now but I might plump for this instead...
This could be an alternate reality for all we know and Ultra Beasts cause OS!Ash to fall through a portal and meet up with SM!Ash.
Please Lord, no. This alternate realities thing has gone far enough! Lamest excuse for poor continuity planning, I'd rather this was an out-and-out re-imagining.

20th year anniversary is definitely more exciting than a 10th year anniversary, so no surprise they'd focus on the generation where it all began. I just hope they'll include all the original characters. I'm not sure how they could stretch out just the first episode into a feature-length film, but time will tell what they have up their sleeve.

Oh my days. You know this morning I was fantasising about a retooling of Hyaku-go-ju-ichi to whatever number we're up to now but I might plump for this instead...
That would be pretty epic! God I love all the old songs. We need a thread on favorite Pokemon songs, I could talk for days on that topic.

Please Lord, no. This alternate realities thing has gone far enough! Lamest excuse for poor continuity planning, I'd rather this was an out-and-out re-imagining.
I know its a pretty out there idea, but I'm just saying that I feel like there could be more to this than a retelling of the first season, considering the first teaser did feature Rowlet, Litten, and Popplio. The first teaser for the Magearna film did feature Perfect Zygarde and while it was eventually revealed it wasn't about Perfect Zygarde, it did play a role in the film, which makes me think of the possibility of Rowlet, Litten, and Popplio having some sort of role as well.

Last edited:
Also assuming they might not have a Pikachu short again? Might be too early to tell. But they could make the short Alola-themed just to satisfy the current narrative. Would be a nice balance!
I'd rather they use the full 90 minutes for the main movie, but we'll see. I don't recall a short not being announced from the get-go, though.

I'd rather they use the full 90 minutes for the main movie, but we'll see. I don't recall a short not being announced from the get-go, though.
Whoops, I posted that before I saw the thread for a possible Pikachu short with M20. I don't mind a 90-minute movie either if it's a good plot and they put the extra time into the animation. Otherwise, sometimes the short is the part I like the best.

Last edited:
Whoops, I posted that before I saw the thread for a possible Pikachu short with M20.
Nah, that's fake. There was a fake movie title that had nothing to do with what we're actually getting, too.

No idea why SPPf's Dephender posted those titles as news.

A-Pure-Cat said:
I know its a pretty out there idea, but I'm just saying that I feel like there could be more to this than a retelling of the first season, considering the first teaser did feature Rowlet, Litten, and Popplio
They showed every single starter and movie title to date. I doubt it means anything.

I fully expect and hope for a reboot. Shudo's vision was sacrificed due to the target audience being kids and the powers that be not wanting to end Ash's story, but now they can fix that if they establish a different continuity.

I don't think they should use anything from Alola other than Z-moves, though.

Last edited:
Well I'm sorry for you in this case. However, for a vast proportion of fans, Kanto is the most emotive region of the franchise. I don't believe this applies just to the 90s kids either. It is certainly possible to have nostalgia for a time you never experienced yourself and I know some millennium+ babies who think that the anime post-Misty was dead. (They missed out on some great stuff, I know.)

Well we have just had Generations, giving an equal billing to all 6 regions till date. The problem with a franchise as long-running as this is that it's hard to reminisce on everything, and if they have to pick just one aspect, it makes sense every time for it to be Gen 1.
I understand where Pokémon is coming from financially with the marketing that focuses on gen 1 and I can't blame anyone for loving it. My problem isn't a logical one, it's an emotional one. It's totally irrational but I can't help but feel a little pang of jealousy every time something new is announced but it's only focusing on Gen 1. Like why can't they focus on the part of Pokémon that I love. And I realize how childish that sounds typed out.

And actually the animation side of Pokémon doesn't really have this problem. Despite my problems with the Generations shorts I love that they focused on the franchise as a whole. My problems mostly lie with the games that do this.

But again, I'm super intrigued by this new movie and am excited to see how they reimagine the beginning. At this point it's not an original concept, but it's still interesting.

Last edited:
I'm not making stuff up about you, nor am I lying. I'm basing what I say on your posts. Saying "They are basically doing a copy and paste" is presenting your opinion as fact as you are not leaving any room open for the possibility that this not going to be the case. Honestly, we don't know. It's way too early to know and there is way too little to go by to base your statements on.

This is much better, at least you're clarifying this is your feeling and not presenting anything as fact. But honestly, we get it. You don't like this and that's completely fine. But you don't have to repeat yourself so much. It seems you're not even giving this movie a chance. Be my guest, but you have very little to stand on when you say this is going to suck other than your own gut feelings, because there is very little to go by.
Sorry about that. I posted without thinking and edited my post as soon as I could. Anyway, even if there are longer trailers that would come, I still can't get hyped for this movie.

What I wish is that M20 would be the big Ash-tachii Reunion a lot of people want in favor of another fanfictiony adventure story or Legendary wrasslin'.

They sink quite a bit into these things anyway, so may as well get the whole gang (or at least many as they can get) together for a heck of a party.
Imagine if it were the Pokémon version of "DBZ: Battle of Gods" with lots of cameos and references ;)

Because surely I can't be only one not excited for a big budget rehash, or worse, a clip show...

At the risk of repeating myself, I really don't want a clip show or something like the 10th anniversary special (with a lot more characters). And they are not promoting this as a reunion spanning every series to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom