• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Pokemon Sunday or Oha- Suta reveal that the Darkrai movie was a trilogy? Darkrai, shaymin and Arceus with posters and everything? I hope beyonf all hope this is what happens here.

Rica Matsumoto and the voice actors aren't tweeting anything about this.

I guess they aren't allowed to say anything yet.

Pansear said:
Didn't Pokemon Sunday or Oha- Suta reveal that the Darkrai movie was a trilogy?
Back in December 2006? No. We didn't even know the next movie would be connected until a full year after that (the first teaser from July was just about Regigigas), and even then they just included Dialga and Palkia in the poster without drawing attention to them.

The DP movies were pretty loosely connected. I want something more this time.

See...this raises some questions. Does this mean that they felt like the sun&moon movie wasn't going to do as well as they thought?

Or, this could just be the playing of the good ol' fashioned '' nostalgia card"

See...this raises some questions. Does this mean that they felt like the sun&moon movie wasn't going to do as well as they thought?

Or, this could just be the playing of the good ol' fashioned '' nostalgia card"
It's both. There has been a steady decline in ticket sales for six years now (the last movie barely exceeded 2 billion yen, which is less than half of the Victini movie's box gross). Here are the numbers for the past six movies:

4.33 -> 3.61 -> 3.17 -> 2.91 -> 2.61 -> 2.03

They would have been fools to stick to the same formula for their 20th anniversary. And the Hoopa movie showed that it is not enough to clutter a movie with over a dozen of old characters from different generations.

Last edited:
It's both. There has been a steady decline in ticket sales for six years now (the last movie barely exceeded 2 billion yen, which is less than half of the Victini movie's box gross). Here the numbers for the past six movies:

4.33 -> 3.61 -> 3.17 -> 2.91 -> 2.61 -> 2.03

They would have been fools to stick to the same formula for their 20th anniversary. And the Hoopa movie showed that it is not enough to clutter a movie with over a dozen of old characters from different generations.
You said the volcanion movie made 2 billion yen? That's 16 million dollars! That ain't too shabby for a movie that was in select theaters.

You said the volcanion movie made 2 billion yen? That's 16 million dollars! That ain't too shabby for a movie that was in select theaters.
It wasn't in select theaters in Japan. And just because it isn't shabby doesn't mean that they should accept the decline; they clearly want more.

The bigger picture is their plan for other countries, though.

It wasn't in select theaters in Japan. And just because it isn't shabby doesn't mean that they should accept the decline; they clearly want more.
No i meant select theaters in the us. Or did it go straight to dvd? Either way, they get money from the us audience and other countries

No i meant select theaters in the us. Or did it go straight to dvd? Either way, they get money from the us audience and other countries
It went straight to DVD, which means that it didn't generate much profit outside Japan. How many people even buy the DVDs when the movies are broadcast on TV first? Is it that hard to understand that they could do better?

It went straight to DVD, which means that it didn't generate much profit outside Japan. How many people even buy the DVDs when the movies are broadcast on TV first? Is it that hard to understand that they could do better?
No need to be like that. Just telling you that they did well enough to give us a sun&moon movie, which is what most people in this thread want anyway. Is it that hard to understand that?

No need to be like that. Just telling you that they did well enough to give us a sun&moon movie, which is what most people in this thread want anyway. Is it that hard to understand that?
Yes.

It doesn't seem to me that most people in this thread want that, and besides, an anime forum reflects what otakus want, and otakus are definitely a minority.

A franchise cannot survive on a decline. Sega tried that and became a third party developer. Sonic is barely hanging on. Pokemon cannot keep on pandering the same thing and expecting something new to happen. It's seeing a resurgence of popularity due to all the changes they've been making. They'd be fools to not try something different theatrically.

The moment the games became something almost unrecognizable, the anime took on a different tone, it was inevitable that they'd do something no one saw coming for their movies.

Rica Matsumoto and the voice actors aren't tweeting anything about this.

I guess they aren't allowed to say anything yet.

Back in December 2006? No. We didn't even know the next movie would be connected until a full year after that (the first teaser from July was just about Regigigas), and even then they just included Dialga and Palkia in the poster without drawing attention to them.

The DP movies were pretty loosely connected. I want something more this time.

There probably hasn't been any voice recording yet. Sound is typically done extremely late in the production process. I imagine Matsumoto and the others won't record the movie until two or three months before it comes out, at the earliest.

Isn't it interesting that they're using the old Pocket Monsters name rather than Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon? I mean, obviously it makes sense, but it still caught my breath when I saw that name standing alone in the title!

Also, does anyone else feel that the Satoshi/Pikachu drawn in the poster look almost like they were taken out of an old-school pokemon card?
I wonder if they're going to remaster music from the first series (and the other ones too if they show more than just Kanto) or maybe use the original pieces?
I'm hoping for the originals (remastered or otherwise) and not reimaginings of the same. I've enjoyed the new versions of the old tracks which we've had over the years, but honestly, as the little MPM tease in this trailer proved afaic, the originals are the best <3

I can't wait till this thread calms down. I'm expecting a wonderful pool of crazy fantasies and dreams about where they could take the movie and I am excited to share in this kind of fandom self-indulgence!

Obligatory social commentary for the day: I remember back when "genwunners" were the bane of every self-respecting fan's life. I feel like the tables have now turned 180°. I couldn't believe my eyes when I opened the thread this morning and saw so much overwhelming negativity. Why do some of you despise Kanto so much? Isn't it obvious why it is the "favourite" of the franchise? You wouldn't have your Mimikyus and your variation monster balls and your Serenas without the first generation. Maybe the 20th anniversary is a good opportunity for some of you to get rid of that chip on your shoulders. Not liking gen 1 doesn't make you a better fan than the "losers" who don't know that there are pokemon after Mewtwo.

The trailer gave me goosebumps as soon as the remixed "episode preview length" Mezase Pokemon Master started playing. I feel all kinds of hype right now: is it only the first episode? The first few? Will this be the only movie they do, or will it be a trilogy like some other anime movies? Is there going to be a new story for this new Satoshi? Are we going to see the original traveling trio again, if not just Satoshi and Kasumi again? Are they going to add details from the novelization (Satoshi dreaming about a Lizardon, his conversations with his mother, etc) to help extend the movie if they're only doing the first episode? Overall, great idea to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the anime, I'm definitely excited to see what's in store.

I hope, in respect to it being for the 20th anniversary of the anime series, that they pay some respects to the original headwriter and expand on Satoshi's character using some of Shudou's details of him from the first novel. The expansion on his mother's characterization, childhood loneliness/bullying and dealing with the pressure of having two relatives as failures makes him an indefinitely more interesting protagonist compared to the cardboard cutout we currently have.

Really hoping this movie turns out to be the first in a trilogy or some sort. The current anime can continue being what it wants (I'm enjoying SM for what it is as a Slice of Life), but it'll be a treat to have a separate incarnation of it exist separately utilizing all the potential it originally had. I'm totally up for an Alternate Continuity movie series in the vein of Rebuild of Evangelion (though whether or not those movies are in an alternate continuity from NGE are currently up in the air in theories)

Also, does anyone else feel that the Satoshi/Pikachu drawn in the poster look almost like they were taken out of an old-school pokemon card?

A bit of a mix, like the anniversary art for the franchise Sugimori has done with Red and Blue. The old school Sugimori art for the TCG had a lot more grit to the color and felt more... Dragon Quest. But yeah, the artwork for this is gorgeous.

キミブご`(プの へ央 ヱ退f蒲野‡齔丶 ~`ヵゝ?

What does it mean?
You just posted gibberish. I'm assuming you mean the text in the trailer.

キミだけの冒険準備はいいか?

Are you ready for your own journey?

Great. More nostalgia pandering. Just what we wanted.
That's exactly what anniversaries are for. Deal with it.

Last edited:
I've never been a huge fan of the OS but this has me interested.
Obligatory social commentary for the day: I remember back when "genwunners" were the bane of every self-respecting fan's life. I feel like the tables have now turned 180°. I couldn't believe my eyes when I opened the thread this morning and saw so much overwhelming negativity. Why do some of you despise Kanto so much? Isn't it obvious why it is the "favourite" of the franchise? You wouldn't have your Mimikyus and your variation monster balls and your Serenas without the first generation. Maybe the 20th anniversary is a good opportunity for some of you to get rid of that chip on your shoulders. Not liking gen 1 doesn't make you a better fan than the "losers" who don't know that there are pokemon after Mewtwo.

I don't hate Kanto, I just find it incredibly overrated and boring. It bugs me how every time Pokémon does something to invoke nostalgia it's always a reference to Kanto, which holds no nostalgic value in me whatsoever. I get that it's the 20th anniversary celebration for the franchise and this movie for the anime next year. But when I think anniversary celebration I imagine celebrating the entire franchise up to that point. Instead we get a constant spotlight on the part of the franchise that I find the most dull. Diamond and Pearl just turned 10 years old but since they aren't Gen 1 they've haven't been talked about at all. Which is funny since if they want to make me feel nostalgic all they have to do is just that.

I'm perfectly fine with this movie though since I can't recall the anime really doing anything like this ever.

Last edited:
This movie is not new. It basically takes episode one and makes it longer with a few new things maybe. I can tell that they are no longer trying now. Never thought the anime would sink this low but apparently it did. The games are slowly declining too in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom