• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S11 EP23: Staging a Heroes' Welcome!

That Beverly Hills Chihuahua movie looks soo racist! XD

If Joy is judging the contest, then who's tending the pokemon center?

Wow, Zoey recognizing the advantage of Ash's style? If this was in the raw, then I would think it would be front page news. May still proves to be a fantastic coordinator, yay for Wartortle. Jessie's still full of herself. Ack, poor Piplup. Bui kicks butt! Lol, "What does he think he's doing?" Daggit, stop acting like a newb, Dawn. Nice ep.

And no, no name for Kaito.

This episode's animation looks quite good. A bit odd at parts, but all right.

That cookie is gigantic, I really wouldn't want to eat it either.

Looks like Zoey finally realizes doing two things at once isn't so bad.

It's official, James must be British. lol.

Why did Mime.Jr go over to James side. I would want to stay with Jessie after the truth she was told.

I love the entrance Wallace made with his Milotic.

May's appeal doesn't look that great, though I like her dress.

lol at Jessie's Wobuffet bumbling into the floor.

I felt soooooo sorry for Jessie when she was standing on Wobuffet. I mean not even James and Meowth applaud for her. That's cold.

Finneon does live up to being the Beautifly in the sea.lol

Ash and Buizel were really quite good.

Surprising to see Paul in a contest hall.

Dawn is about ready to choke Piplup.

And Piplup is mad that none of the attention isn't going to it.lol

Dawn's appeal was really beautiful

ROFL at James and Meowth and Mime.Jr(who's alive) getting splashed.

Awwww, poor Jessie turns into stone when she isn't on the top(for the first time in Sinnoh)

Overall, very good and funny episode.

Uh, who's Kaito...? o.o

"Croagunk's taken over for Max's job." Oh good, she noticed. ;P

LMAO, Nurse Joy has a cursh on Wallace.

Cameos galore in this episode! Look, it's all of May's various related characters! And not a single one utters a peep. Aw. :/ Jeez, until now I hadn't realized how much I missed those guys until now.

Yay, Wobbuffet in an appeal finally! But I didn't think Jessie's appeal was that bad...? Sure, repetitive and not up to snuff (especially considering this was a high-level Contest featuring Coordinators from all four regions), but it certainly didn't deserve just blank stares from thr audience and judges. Such rude, rude people.

Ash's appeal was the best one! XD He got second over all the girls and everything! If I was Dawn, I would be pissed that Buizel had all that potential and Zoey convinced me to trade it away.

When was the last time Piplup and Dawn had a fight? It feels like Piplup hasn't shown its spunk since the early DP episodes. Anyway, nice to see this little sub-plot of Piplup being worried/frustrated about Dawn resolved.

Meowth and Mime Jr. drying off by shaking was adorable! :x

All those people going on to the second round? A multi-day Contest? The Wallace Cup gets more and more special.

I really liked this episode, I had a lot of fun watching it, and everyone in awesome costumes. I really love Ash's suit that he wearing, he looks very classy and a gentlemen. I still like the classy stuff, going back in time like in the 50s and earlier.

And everyone appeals were neat to see. May's performance with Wartortle was more in the beautiful/nature side, Zoey in the beautiful side, and Dawn in the cute appeal.

Ash's appeal was the best one! XD He got second over all the girls and everything! If I was Dawn, I would be pissed that Buizel had all that potential and Zoey convinced me to trade it away.

I agree, I loved Ash's appeal, he was the best one to me. And if I was Dawn I would be shooting myself, Ash handled Buizel better in a contest than Dawn did. And Zoey saying Buizel doesn't have any contest potential.

But I laughed at Jessie's no clap after her appeal and Paul passing by with a wtf are your doing face seeing Ash.

But fun episode, can't wait til next week.

Heh, this was a pretty good episode. ^^

I liked the BGM tracks which were kept.

The animation in this episode was really good!

And of course, I loved Ash's appeal. Buizel was awesome!

But most of all, I liked Ash's outfit for the Wallace Cup. I don't know where he got his contest outfit from, but it sure looked fantastic on him. XD Also, I really liked the part when Ash moved his hat up and said, "That's me!". Yes, the Ash fangirl in me loved that particular scene! XD

Hehe, I LOL'd at Paul's line. That was so funny! :lol:

Last edited:
My younger brother was annoying the hell outta me, so I didn't get see much of the episode really. Though what I did see, I pretty much enjoyed!

May's appeal was a bit on the "blah" side, but it was still pretty good to see her Wartortle. Finneon is such an adorable Pokemon, I just might get one in my game! xD

I'll hopefully be able to catch the rerun next Saturday, without the unneeded interruptions this time. xP

Maybe the Zoey hate can finally stop now that everyone heard in plain English how Zoey doesn't care if someone does Contests and Gyms, and even complimented Ash. I never got why people still had a problem with her. She got over this a long time ago.

Loved Ash and May's outfits, and I agree with everyone else that Ash had the best appeal.

Using Wobbuffet was a nice idea, but she could've done a lot more with him.

Next week, the real fun begins. :)

In the music department, this episode was a total failure as opposed to the last episode. 11 pieces were kept back then, only 5 now. And they were all kept in the beginning, the second half of the episode was 100% dub music -.-.

What I really didn't like was the replacement of the music during Jessie's and Zoey's appeals. The two bgm's in the original were really awesome.

On to the episode, the only remarkable (no pun intented) moment was Zoey's "Back at you". It really sounded like an insult to May lol.

Naix already complained about the music for me so I won't bother.

This episode had the best thing ever.

*Jessie turns into stone and shatters*
James: I hate it when that happens.

XD

Maybe the Zoey hate can finally stop now that everyone heard in plain English how Zoey doesn't care if someone does Contests and Gyms, and even complimented Ash. I never got why people still had a problem with her. She got over this a long time ago.

I actually liked that bit about Zoey. It created tension, which is sorta needed to liven up the "drama" in the anime.

It'd be kind of amusing if the Japanese writers decided to expand upon this and the dub writers had to go back to her former characterization.

What I also found amusing was Paul's sudden appearence and going "WTF" when he saw Ash on-screen. What does he have against contests?

Jessie's appeal would've been better if Wobbuffet had gone flying and landed on Jessie.

Great episode, though. I was hoping that Max, Drew or Harley would say something but I guess that wasn't to be.

Yeah, this whole episode was just an appeal round, but there was enough amusing character interaction and good appeals to keep it interesting.

Does anyone else really like the May and Dawn interaction in these episodes? May telling Dawn, "No need to worry, especially with pretty hair" was a great line, as well as the wink. Dawn's nervousness and her feelings in this ep were also spot-on and written well.

Ironically, I thought Ash had the best appeal, and he's the only one of the four girls, (May, Dawn, Jessie and Zoey) who isn't a coordinator. LOL, Ash is upstaging the girls at their own game.

God, I actually missed Max a little when he was waving his parents over to watch TV. Even before these episodes were announced in Japan, I knew the writers were going to ignore him when they were going to have May make a cameo in D/P, but I wonder if Max will ever get anything later on...

I actually liked that bit about Zoey. It created tension, which is sorta needed to liven up the "drama" in the anime.

I agree, it's too bad it was dropped so suddenly. I liked the idea someone had that Melissa would be the one to convince her that you can do both.

I hope the writers will tell us just why she had such a problem with it. It'll suck if it's just forgotten about.

As an overall, I don't feel this episode was horrid. I was somewhat taken aback but still very pleased to hear Kanto themes, such as when the judges are being introduced... IE, "The Matter's Settled" (that are very well composed by my opinion and have qualities that work well enough to create themselves) to be kept rather than remote in usage in the dub. Lots of emotional beats that are classy, aptly paced, but not methodical. Lots of nostalgia. :)

I liked a few of the dub pieces as well. They have a good, lucid quality to them, though I felt an abundance of it is a tad too trite and monotonous for my tastes. Dawn was very inconfident in tone in this episode, by contrast to May and Zoey, apparently, but at least she warmed back to her self at the culmination. At least it gives the character breathing space. And Team Rocket's.... Team Rocket. Mischievous, furtive, and skulking idlers at best. But I agree with Scott85 in that more than the height of the episode, entertaining character interactions are what make it a draw-in.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom