• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ultra Sun And Ultra Moon Will Be The Last Pokemon RPGS For 3DS

How do you feel about the Pokémon main series ending on the DS platform?

• I'm fine with the choice and looking forward to continuing this on the Switch

• I prefer the main series to stay on handheld platforms like the DS

• I'm indifferent and fine with either option

• I feel a different way that isn't represented on this poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
People blaming 3ds system too much. There a ton of 3ds games rich in content

Gamefreak choose not to do that. Say it how it is

It looks like I'm going to be the first one to say that I would've preferred Pokémon to stay on handhelds ^^; I guess the Switch kinda also is one, but that handheld thing doesn't look as comfortable and easy to carry around as the (3)DS. I'm also just really going to miss the dual screen, it's had many useful and fun uses in the various Pokémon games and it's just very practical to be able to keep playing the game while using menus on the bottom screen, especially when the PSS was a thing.

I'm not really interested in getting a Switch because it's expensive and there's no backwards compatibility and Pokémon would really be the only game I get it for and not sure if that's worth it :(

So, I'm actually not happy with this news at all but alas, it has to move on I guess.

However, I don't really understand that people are expecting the games to be much better on the Switch. As multiple have said before me, the 3DS games were only 'bad' cause GF chose to make them so. The 3DS has many great games with great graphics and no lag, so it's definitely not the system's fault. I have very little trust in that simply cause the games are moving to the Switch that they will automatically become better again, I actually fear it will be the other way around. Making the games work on a big screen (at least I assume they won't be handheld only) is probably gonna take up a lot of work that will limit the time they have to actually focus on story and gameplay, just like what probably happened with XY.

It looks like I'm going to be the first one to say that I would've preferred Pokémon to stay on handhelds ^^; I guess the Switch kinda also is one, but that handheld thing doesn't look as comfortable and easy to carry around as the (3)DS. I'm also just really going to miss the dual screen, it's had many useful and fun uses in the various Pokémon games and it's just very practical to be able to keep playing the game while using menus on the bottom screen, especially when the PSS was a thing.

I'm not really interested in getting a Switch because it's expensive and there's no backwards compatibility and Pokémon would really be the only game I get it for and not sure if that's worth it :(

So, I'm actually not happy with this news at all but alas, it has to move on I guess.

However, I don't really understand that people are expecting the games to be much better on the Switch. As multiple have said before me, the 3DS games were only 'bad' cause GF chose to make them so. The 3DS has many great games with great graphics and no lag, so it's definitely not the system's fault. I have very little trust in that simply cause the games are moving to the Switch that they will automatically become better again, I actually fear it will be the other way around. Making the games work on a big screen (at least I assume they won't be handheld only) is probably gonna take up a lot of work that will limit the time they have to actually focus on story and gameplay, just like what probably happened with XY.
I agree with everything you said but the lag will fixed with the switch if people care about that

Gamefreak from some reason put really high polygon models for the Pokemon during battles. On a much better higher system compared to the 3ds. the switch it should handle the models much better

But gamefreak optimizing skills are terrible imo.

Just think in 3 years development time they could barely give us a 3ds game with good content. Imagine a Console Pokemon with 3 year development I shutter to think how bare bones it will be

hope old games will also play on them and that new ones will get better and more worked with the content when it comes to story telling, game play, game mechanics, old and new: moves, abilities and stats.

@Soki @DoctorWhy Weren't you in favor of Stars? Or did you just think it was likely?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure there will be a cheaper revision more suitable to be called a handheld.

I'm kinda waiting for a special Pokemon Switch console, or a bundle for the next Pokemon game.
I hope I don't have to buy a Switch full price when the Pokemon game comes out.

On one hand, I'm happy and excited to see Pokemon moving to a new console. It will open up new opportunities for features and game play. I'm looking forward to seeing how Pokemon will evolve from now on and what kind of games we'll get on the Switch. On the other hand, I have some concerns over Game Freak's vision of the past few years and how well they will adapt to a new system.

The XY games revived my love for and interest of playing Pokemon because of the new graphics and features, but I will never deny the disappointment I felt after completing the lackluster story or the fact that I stopped playing after because there wasn't really much post-game to speak of. Despite this, I have to thank XY for bringing me my favourite Pokemon; Fennekin! I love a lot of Pokemon, but until Gen VI I never had a Pokemon I could clearly claim as my number one.

I do appreciate the 3DS era for the simple fact that we got remakes of my personal (nostalgia-driven) favourite games and generation of all time. Although there were a few disappointing things in ORAS (lack of customization, poorly written Delta Episode, absence of areas from Emerald etc.) I generally loved and enjoyed ORAS. The DexNav revived my desire to catch Pokemon and attempt to fill my PokeDex, which I finally did for the first time ever! I acknowledge my enjoyment of ORAS might be biased though. I was just incredibly happy to go back to Hoenn, which I love so much.

The SM games had a good story, good characters and introduced some nice new concepts or features. However, once again I was met with a lack of substantial post-game content making me drop the games after finishing the main story and the lack of a DexNav made Pokemon hunting not quite as fun. I also felt like it was missing content due to several areas being blocked off or rushed. In addition to that, useful features from the previous generation were changed (in a bad way) or removed entirely. USUM do seem promising, but even if they aren't as great as they should be... I'm weak to space shenanigans so I'll be buying UM anyway. :p

I don't think I will be able to buy a Switch for a while, so I'll most likely be late to the party but that might give me the opportunity to see reviews of the new Pokemon games before deciding if I should buy one or not. I do not wish to spend so much money on the Switch and a Pokemon game if the next one proves to be bare bones.

I gave XY a pass because had I known about its lack of content and story, I would probably still want to buy it due to the novelty of the customization feature, the 3D graphics and Fennekin. That and a better financial situation at the time. Now that these things aren't new anymore, the Switch games will have to try harder to convince me.

In short, I'm not sad because Pokemon needs to always move on and expand. I'm somewhat excited for the future, but also have some concerns over how Game Freak will handle things.

Last edited:
@Unown Seer I was only in favor of it cause it was the only way they could've defended a third version for me, by using a new system as a selling point. Now we just have a third version like the other third versions and I thought they were done with that -_-

It's not like I necessarily wanted it, I certainly wouldn't have bought it. I'm already not very convinced about buying USUM, nevermind having to buy an expensive new system for it.

To be clear, I don't think the games should've stayed on the 3DS forever I guess, I just wish it moved on to an actual new handheld instead of what's mostly a console. I simply prefer pure handhelds and the dual screen and that you can fold it up so nicely. I'm just gonna miss the DS line in general ok :cry:

I also was kinda hoping we'd get the gen IV remakes on the 3DS, it's just not the same without the Pokétch on a lower screen...

This. I'm not at all convinced that Game Freak wasn't capable of making better games on the Switch, most of the 3DS era's limitations were likely self imposed by Game Freak as a result of the conscious decision to design the games to feel mobile-esque. Were there some ideas that might not have been feasible because of technical limitations? Of course. But there were many more ideas that could've been done that Game Freak simply decided not to because it didn't fit their vision of a streamlined, casual friendly experience.
You know, because of their insistence to make the games cater the mobile demographic because the 3DS supposedly rivals it, thus being a handled neccessitates a simple experience to grab that market and all, that, Gamefreak viewing the Switch and deciding it has to be a console level experience has to only be a good thing. Then again that could mean final fantasy tier cutscene length time and more corridors, but I trust them enough to think they will look more at games like Dragon Quest and Ni No Kuni for console level experiences.

@Unown Seer I was only in favor of it cause it was the only way they could've defended a third version for me, by using a new system as a selling point. Now we just have a third version like the other third versions and I thought they were done with that -_-

It's not like I necessarily wanted it, I certainly wouldn't have bought it. I'm already not very convinced about buying USUM, nevermind having to buy an expensive new system for it.

To be clear, I don't think the games should've stayed on the 3DS forever I guess, I just wish it moved on to an actual new handheld instead of what's mostly a console. I simply prefer pure handhelds and the dual screen and that you can fold it up so nicely. I'm just gonna miss the DS line in general ok :cry:

I also was kinda hoping we'd get the gen IV remakes on the 3DS, it's just not the same without the Pokétch on a lower screen...
Was it to you that I mentioned this idea? Poketch with a color screen, Rotodex Minimap in the corner with real time apps like in DP is perfectly acceptable. Things like Pokemon Refresh data could be shown, your teams health, and if an egg is going to hatch, the itemfinder, calculator, etc can all work as they did on the DS. I also hate the fact that its going back to single screen, but only because battles will be cluttered again, and ease of use will be gone.

Last edited:
Was it to you that I mentioned this idea? Poketch with a color screen, Rotodex Minimap in the corner with real time apps like in DP is perfectly acceptable. Things like Pokemon Refresh data could be shown, your teams health, and if an egg is going to hatch, the itemfinder, calculator, etc can all work as they did on the DS. I also hate the fact that its going back to single screen, but only because battles will be cluttered again, and ease of use will be gone.

I said 'it's not the same', nothing about it not being possible or unacceptable. Of course it can be incorporated on one screen, but as you said yourself concerning battles: it would clutter the screen. That was the great thing about having a bottom screen, you could see and do things without it 'ruining' your gameplay.

And it not being like a watch on the bottom screen will literally not be the same, I meant it in a very literal sense :p There was just something fun about it that would be hard to mimic on one screen I think.

That's not my point: It is the features and holding up the graphics at the same time. If Game Freak wanted to, they could just go back to just non-intensive pixel graphics prior to Gen. VI, and create something incredibly rich with nearly every known feature known to Pokemon, and then some. I won't deny that.

However, they instead decided to go full force to create a modern looking, 3D Pokemon game - and in the process, had to make compromises due to the hardware limitations - like the onces I listed (I want my triple battles back! :eek: ).

Yes, Game Freak did set themselves up upon this - and if they just stuck their next games on the 3DS, I kind of wonder what compromises these graphics will have to limiting the gameplay... and how new features could end up compromising the graphics as well.

That was never a realistic option, once they went 3D there was no going back from that. Imagine if you bought a new TV with a gorgeous HD picture and then the TV manufacturer decides suddenly to drop HD and go back to a lower resolution. Wouldn't you miss having higher quality viewing? Technology never really regresses, especially when it comes to graphics. The higher resolutions make the lower resolutions look worse and so consumers expect the next model to be an improvement over the last. So no, they wouldn't have just gone back to sprite graphics.

Think about the reason why Game Freak chose to make the 3DS games the way they were. They wanted to make a mobile like experience for a casual audience. Now they're moving to a hybrid handheld/console. Would the same strategy work on that audience? Are people buying Switches to have simplistic, streamlined experiences? Probably not. The Switch positions itself as a console that can play high quality, console scale games on your TV and then take them out on the go, so mobile-esque games are probably not going to be as well received on Switch as they were on 3DS. Look at what Nintendo is doing to some of their big IPs in their Switch entries. Zelda transitioned into a massive, open world adventure game. Sandbox Mario games returned and they're more open ended and content packed than ever. It's only reasonable to expect Pokemon to head in that direction as well (albeit perhaps not as advanced because Game Freak hasn't had the experience in console development as the teams that made BotW and Odyssey have had).

And if you look at Game Freak's own statements regarding the upcoming game, they seem to be changing their philosophy in exactly this way. Let's review some of their statements regarding the Switch:

Pokémon’s Developers Talk About Their Console RPG Debut On Switch
The Pokemon Company CEO Thought Switch Would Fail, Hints at Pokemon Switch Ideas - IGN
Pokemon Meets Breath of the Wild: Game Freak Talks About an Open-World Pokemon on Nintendo Switch

So we know the following from these statements:

1. Game Freak was expecting mobile to remain dominant and they were surprised to see that consoles still had an audience.
2. Game Freak is attempting to create a flexible gameplay style for the Switch that indeed can support both handheld and console play. Since they have not had experience developing for console and they don't know in what capacity Switch owners will be using the device, they've been paying attention to fan reactions and expectations. The fan comments they highlighted all have a common expectation, for the game to be a large scale, more open ended adventure game.
3. Game Freak is aware of the demand for a BotW-esque open world Pokemon game, but they're not ready to take that step.

This all sounds very promising if you're someone who didn't like the linearity and lack of content of the 3DS. They're associating console gaming with large scale, open ended gameplay which implies that they're going to at least going to take steps to move in this direction if not fully realize it. So there's legitimate cause for optimism in what they're doing on the Switch if you didn't like the direction the 3DS era went.

Another thing about switch is that there are way more buttons and what not. I honestly expect camera control and world exploration to expand greatly. One of the reasons why I assume SM has more linear dungeons is because of the more real scale overworld, and caves having things like floors is too old school video gamey for it to seem natural. Like I can see caves having multiple levels, just with proper tunnels going deeper down, or ladders at points where there are steep drops. In general, I think the games will bring back the verticality that has been missing for a good while from the series.

I'm happy at the news :B I've been hoping all Nintendo franchises will be on Switch for a while now. It's honestly the best way to sell the thing, having everything (but mobile games obvs) centralized there.

More so, the fact that having to develop for the Switch will most likely mean GF will have to make big-scale Pokemon games, as that's what it will be competing against.

I'm noticing quite a bit of hesitance about the switch... But must we remind ourselves: The original 3DS was worth 250 dollars when it came out, and the price eventually lowered to 150 when the Pokemon game was finally released. That said, the 3DS was over 2 years into its lifecycle at the time.

I think the Switch has something special going for it in terms of its design: It has potential to be much lower in price than the last Nintendo consoles as time goes on.

The reason why the Wii U hardly dropped in price was it was actually 2 computer parts of different manufacturing specifications - and thus was like building 2 consoles in its pricing. The 3DS also had a similar issue: It required 2 screen parts to be built with their own different needs and other things. Just look at the old 2DS to see how making just one unified electronic made it so much more inexpensive.

The Switch is different in that the there is only one screen upon one computer part. All the other parts on the switch are merely accessories to this single part, much like the ones any other console would have to deal with! This alone could be a grand factor to lowering its price.

I have a prediction: By the time the Pokemon Switch game comes out, the Switch will be at least 100 dollars cheaper.

I'm noticing quite a bit of hesitance about the switch... But must we remind ourselves: The original 3DS was worth 250 dollars when it came out, and the price eventually lowered to 150 when the Pokemon game was finally released. That said, the 3DS was over 2 years into its lifecycle at the time.

I think the Switch has something special going for it in terms of its design: It has potential to be much lower in price than the last Nintendo consoles as time goes on.

The reason why the Wii U hardly dropped in price was it was actually 2 computer parts of different manufacturing specifications - and thus was like building 2 consoles in its pricing. The 3DS also had a similar issue: It required 2 screen parts to be built with their own different needs and other things. Just look at the old 2DS to see how making just one unified electronic made it so much more inexpensive.

The Switch is different in that the there is only one screen upon one computer part. All the other parts on the switch are merely accessories to this single part, much like the ones any other console would have to deal with! This alone could be a grand factor to lowering its price.

I have a prediction: By the time the Pokemon Switch game comes out, the Switch will be at least 100 dollars cheaper.
3ds dropped to 150 4 months after launch lol

Yes, but that's the price it should have started at really. The Switch is well worth the $300. It's a full fledged console AND it has handheld capabilities. Anyone that says it's not both is crazy or doesn't own one for themselves.

After checking: The 3DS dropped to 170 Dollars around 6 months after being released. However, It actually remained that base price for years, even when the Gen VI Pokemon games came out. The 2DS came out just after the Pokemon games - and at the time, I think it was designed for selling those games as well.

My manufacturing point stands, however: None of the clam-shelled 3DS designs ever had a base Price below 150 dollars. It was only the old 2DS that really dropped to a very significant degree.

The 3DS' situations was also different as it was a major increase in price over the DS and didn't have a lot of games its first year. There's no real need to do the same for the Switch since it's console scale hardware that's more worth the price and it has a much stronger first year lineup. At best I could see them dropping it to $250, maybe having a $200 budget model, but I can't see it dropping nearly as much.

The 3DS' situations was also different as it was a major increase in price over the DS and didn't have a lot of games its first year. There's no real need to do the same for the Switch since it's console scale hardware that's more worth the price and it has a much stronger first year lineup. At best I could see them dropping it to $250, maybe having a $200 budget model, but I can't see it dropping nearly as much.
With succeeding Pokemon games bound for the Switch, I do hope they release a $200 budget model ^^"

Back
Top Bottom