• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

I'm still personally debating if the Diamond & Pearl or XY series was better. XY had better animation, Ash's team was fully evolved by the end, and Ash made it further into the League. Meanwhile, D&P started the buildup for the rivals and villainous team much earlier, and also had possibly the best rival of all time in Paul.

Alain may have been the strongest non-League exclusive rival (lookin' at you, Tobias), but when it comes to character buildup, backstory, and connection with Ash, Paul had that in spades more than even Alain, mostly thanks to Chimchar. Chimchar/Infernape had a unique character arc only rivaled by Froakie/Greninja's one, and I still dare say that Chimchar did it a bit better because of the way it helped building up and ultimately resolving the rivalry in between in its two Trainers.

So yeah. Both series are very solid, but both of them also have things that they excel in over the other one, so it's hard for me to decide which one I genuinely like more.

Well, personally, I feel if nothing else, XY had the best set of protagonists out of all the series, and (I guess this counts as another controversial opinion) it's the only one where I didn't hate any one of either Ash or his travelling companions, with the possible exception of the Johto arc. I've already given my thoughts on Misty (OS-Kanto) and Cilan (BW), but as for the others....by the time we got to DP, Brock had lost a lot of his appeal and both Tracey (OS-Orange Islands) and Max (AS) felt like they were simply....there. A sentiment I'm beginning to feel is appropriate to all of Ash's current friends in SM, with the exception of Lillie (although I don't dislike any of them with the exception of Kiawe). By comparison, I felt invested in Serena and Clemont, and (strangely, I must say) never felt like Bonnie was simply "there"...she was Max done right for me.

As for Ash, well....again, I dislike him in the original series for being either an A-Hole or a punching bag and I really don't like the butt monkey tag he has going for him in SM, but he didn't really feel like he had any obvious problems in XY. An improvement over BW, certainly. I just wish the developers would pick one "mold" for Ash and stick with it.

and Max (AS) felt like they were simply....there.
and (strangely, I must say) never felt like Bonnie was simply "there"...she was Max done right for me.
Yeah. I too prefer Bonnie to Max. Max just came off as annoying many times. Even the first time when he meets Ash, he mocks him for losing the Johto League, which is honestly unfair when you consider that only one person out of the who-knows-how-many Trainers who entered the League could be the winner. He wasn't always annoying, mind you, but there were many times when he acted like an immature jerk, even towards his own friends. Meanwhile, Bonnie acted surprisingly mature for her age, had arguably better character development, and never mocked anyone without a good reason.

I may have been a bit biased with my opinions here, but hey, that's what this thread is for, right?

Here's a weird one. Brock's team was totally uninteresting until the AG. Marshtomp, Ludicolo, Sudowoodo, Croagunk, and Happiny (later Chansey) all had personality. Steelix, Geodude, and Crobat didn't have much in terms of personality. Vulpix had a little in it's first appearance, but that didn't last long. His Pineco kinda had some with it's tendency to blow up, but that again wasn't much, and that even disappeared after it evolved into a Forretress.

Here's a weird one. Brock's team was totally uninteresting until the AG. Marshtomp, Ludicolo, Sudowoodo, Croagunk, and Happiny (later Chansey) all had personality. Steelix, Geodude, and Crobat didn't have much in terms of personality. Vulpix had a little in it's first appearance, but that didn't last long. His Pineco kinda had some with it's tendency to blow up, but that again wasn't much, and that even disappeared after it evolved into a Forretress.
You can blame that on the overall writing style of season 1. Distinctive personality traits or characteristics on Pokémon weren't exactly the first thing on the writers' minds those days for most of the time.

You can blame that on the overall writing style of season 1. Distinctive personality traits or characteristics on Pokémon weren't exactly the first thing on the writers' minds those days for most of the time.
Good thing that changed. It's sad because Vulpix are one of my favorite fire pokemon.

If they were to ever get the idea to go back and do a reboot of the Kanto Saga, i'd severely hope they would give both Misty and Brock some more likeable Pokemon. Starmie, Staryu and Goldeen barely had any personality and one couldn't even be used most of the time. That Crobat was even caught off screen, something I don't think a main character should be doing. With today's level of writing I think they could do something aside from just giving Ash all the attention. Like maybe giving Misty, the water trainer, Squirtle or at least a Vaporeon. C'mon, give her a good battler.

If they were to ever get the idea to go back and do a reboot of the Kanto Saga, i'd severely hope they would give both Misty and Brock some more likeable Pokemon. Starmie, Staryu and Goldeen barely had any personality and one couldn't even be used most of the time. That Crobat was even caught off screen, something I don't think a main character should be doing. With today's level of writing I think they could do something aside from just giving Ash all the attention. Like maybe giving Misty, the water trainer, Squirtle or at least a Vaporeon. C'mon, give her a good battler.
She has a Garydos that can Mega evolve

If her Psyduck wasn't just there mostly for comedy you know I would have loved her to have a Golduck. Remember that one episode in Orange Islands? That Golduck should have been her Psyduck. I really wish it was her Psyduck. Why did the writers do that? :cry:

If her Psyduck wasn't just there mostly for comedy you know I would have loved her to have a Golduck. Remember that one episode in Orange Islands? That Golduck should have been her Psyduck. I really wish it was her Psyduck. Why did the writers do that? :cry:
Because the writers wanted to make comedy out of Misty's joy for her "new Pokémon" being crushed to dust. Yeah. Psyduck would've deserves to evolve, but it seems that pretty much all gag Pokémon in the anime have the Everstone Curse.

Like poor Oshawott. Began as a joke and ended as a joke, never really got a chance to shine or show that he can be competent. Even during that whole meloetta incident, you'd think Oshawott would get to shine in battle, but nah lets let Pikachu have the finishing blow. And how about we bring Charizard back to make the Unova team irrelevant? Why couldn't the poor guy evolve into Dewott? Imo it's a damn good blend between cute and cool. He could have easily kept the flirtatious personality, but could have also been braver and more battle-competent.

Because the writers wanted to make comedy out of Misty's joy for her "new Pokémon" being crushed to dust. Yeah. Psyduck would've deserves to evolve, but it seems that pretty much all gag Pokémon in the anime have the Everstone Curse.
Tbh if that ep didn't have a Golduck in it I would not have liked it as much. Good thing I liked the character of the day. Marina I think her name was. As for Staryu and Starmie, it would have been nice to see how they could give character to two pokemon that had...that didn't have faces. I mean it's not impossible.

As for Staryu and Starmie, it would have been nice to see how they could give character to two pokemon that had...that didn't have faces. I mean it's not impossible.
About Staryu and Starmie, I've always disliked how Staryu has completely overshadowed its evolved form. Shouldn't Misty be using the evolved and stronger Pokémon more than the unevolved one? Why did the writers even make her leave it at the Gym in season 1 for no reason?

Again, a Pokémon with lack of character in season 1. The cuteness factor may have also been a part.

Horsea itself was pretty dang unimportant, wasn't it? It never did anything overly significant, anyway.
Aside from the episode it was introduce in. Other than that it was just there for cuteness factor. Togepi had that role too but at least interacted with the other Pokemon, unlike the majority of both Brock and Misty's Pokemon.

Again, a Pokémon with lack of character in season 1. The cuteness factor may have also been a part.

Horsea itself was pretty dang unimportant, wasn't it? It never did anything overly significant, anyway.
Well Horsea did try to talk down a giant Tentacruel...then it got smacked. It made an ink trail to find TR in the Eevee bros. ep. *Sigh* It didn't do much. I forgot she had the thing for the longest time. Thank goodness May and Dawn had better teams.

Back
Top Bottom