• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't remember any video-game trailers in any movie theater, and I'm great at remembering stuff from a long time ago. This is yet another reason why the announcement should be made on the internet first, people are a lot more likely to remember something if it's by itself or the last thing mentioned.
I've actually gotten to a movie early and the pre-show they show before movies, especially animated movies, usually has video game ads. Other than Zelda, Mario, Yo-kai Watch games I remember them showing some game play footage of XY for their totally radical nintendo sponsored video game break and the super cut of the live action sun and moon ads as a preview.

But this of course was AFTER everything was confirmed and posted on YouTube and had no new info whatsoever.

At most the movie itself could have a new pokemon in it. The movie is shaping up to be something that reveals it out of nowhere in a post credit scene or something. Not to mention pokemon has a track record of hiding 2 to 4 new pokemon in other things. So far there's only been Meltan.

Entirely new 'mons usually get hyped a bit when they're in a movie the last few generations.

So, no, I'm not expecting any new 'mon in the Mewtwo-movie. It will air in July; we probably know quite a bit about the new title then.

I'm expecting an announcement trailer in february showing the mascots and maybe the starters as well and then a few months later the first Corocoro's/Pokemon Channel videos will start to roll out with more gameplay-footage (around May is my guess). It all depends on how 'revolutionary' this generation is, of course. More new things need more time for coverage.

Last edited:
So on the topic of advertising Gen 8 via Detective Pikachu, I've got to ask... what is the last video game trailer anyone remembers seeing at a theater? What movie trailer ads do you remember seeing?

I remember seeing a trailer for Spiderman Homecoming during one of the Marvel films, but I don't think that was the last time I was at a theater and I totally can't remember anything else.

Just pondering on how effective and memorable pre-movie trailers really are.
Ironically, the last video game trailer I saw in a theater was for Pokemon, because they put the pvp Go trailer up in theaters for some reason. It was a total waste IMO, because that trailer was already online and was for a free game that already made the news-why spend the money?

I generally remember pre-movie trailers, but usually just because they're the first time I've heard of the movie, which is...not great for advertising. But that does mean that they're reaching an audience outside of people who usually check the news about that product, so maybe that's good?

Entirely new 'mons usually get hyped a bit when they're in a movie the last few generations.

So, no, I'm not expecting any new 'mon in the Mewtwo-movie. It will air in July; we probably know quite a bit about the new title then.

I'm expecting an announcement trailer in february showing the mascots and maybe the starters as well and then a few months later the first Corocoro's/Pokemon Channel videos will start to roll out with more gameplay-footage (around May is my guess). It all depends on how 'revolutionary' this generation is, of course. More new things need more time for coverage.
New mons usually get hyped a bit if they're the star of the movie, though- if they do it true to the original Mewtwo Strikes Back, they could sneak in some new pokemon cameos without spoiling it beforehand because they're not the focus of the film and don't even have to be shown in the trailers. I think it would be a total loss if they didn't put at least one. =/ One of the most exciting things was seeing Donphan in the First Movie.

We also really shouldn't have a few months of gap between trailers... they didn't like that it wound up happening with Sun and Moon, so I can't see them repeating it again.

New mons usually get hyped a bit if they're the star of the movie, though- if they do it true to the original Mewtwo Strikes Back, they could sneak in some new pokemon cameos without spoiling it beforehand because they're not the focus of the film and don't even have to be shown in the trailers. I think it would be a total loss if they didn't put at least one. =/ One of the most exciting things was seeing Donphan in the First Movie.

We also really shouldn't have a few months of gap between trailers... they didn't like that it wound up happening with Sun and Moon, so I can't see them repeating it again.
Donphan and a few gen IV 'mons were the only ones, if I'm not mistaken. They haven't shown new generation cameos for a long time.

Anyway, did Gamefreak/Nintendo say that the gap between reveal and more info was too big? Curious. Never saw news on that; that would be a good omen if true.

Donphan and a few gen IV 'mons were the only ones, if I'm not mistaken. They haven't shown new generation cameos for a long time.

Anyway, did Gamefreak/Nintendo say that the gap between reveal and more info was too big? Curious. Never saw news on that; that would be a good omen if true.
And a remake of the first movie would be a great time to do it again! Especially because it would be totally failing to match the spirit of the original if they don't. I'mma be so mad if they don't replace Donphan in that opening scene. Convenient list of Pokemon that appeared before their generation here, though. First movie actually had a couple more other than Donphan, but they were in the Pikachu short, which I don't expect them to remake along with the movie.

Masuda had expressed regret about the news gap, yeah- I haven't been able to find the damn source in awhile, but I definitely did see the interview in which it was mentioned. Really wish I could find it again. OTL

And a remake of the first movie would be a great time to do it again! Especially because it would be totally failing to match the spirit of the original if they don't. I'mma be so mad if they don't replace Donphan in that opening scene. Convenient list of Pokemon that appeared before their generation here, though. First movie actually had a couple more other than Donphan, but they were in the Pikachu short, which I don't expect them to remake along with the movie.

Masuda had expressed regret about the news gap, yeah- I haven't been able to find the damn source in awhile, but I definitely did see the interview in which it was mentioned. Really wish I could find it again. OTL

I'm interested in that source as well, because if that's true that could impact this generation potentially with a slightly different marketing schedule.

I could be wrong I believe he was more referring to how they decided to pace the info drops pre-release. We had nothing from feb-may then from may onwards they overcompensated and ended up flooding us with just about everything they could've possible revealed

hopefully this time we get smaller bits of info frequently. That's one thing I miss about the corocoro era. Being bound to reveals by the magazine, we only really got stuff once a month and it usually just ended up just being a few pokemon and screenshots. Times are different now, people are less patient, and we have worldwide releases, but I do think that schedule was perfect

Last edited:
i like frequent news drops, but I don't think they need to be as often as they were with Sun and Moon, and I don't think we need as much news in them as we got during the ones in Sun and Moon. I think seeing the main new mechanic of the game, the first few gyms (or whatever they are going to be), and maybe a third of the new Pokemon is a decent amount of information to get people hyped for the game, without giving too much away. Maybe a small trailer once a month, or maybe once every 2 months.

Is it me, or that list excludes the Pokémon that were included in that one Hoenn intro? Because I could have sworn that excluding Lucario, Weavile, Mime Jr. and (IIRC) Munchlax debuted in the anime there.

D= I don't know what you're talking about, honestly.
"Unbeatable" originally included shots Munchlax, Weavile, Mime Jr. and Lucario originally, but they were removed later. Mime Jr. and Munchlax were understandable since they spoiled their captures in the anime, and Lucario because the movie had not aired in the US at the moment. I still don't know why they had to remove Weavile.

EDIT: Here are the pics:

Munchlax was not removed, my bad.

I think we need to define what a hint is, according to google its
"a slight or indirect indication or suggestion "

A slight indication! Not as some people seem to suggest "written confirmation"

We all know what a hint is. Not sure what you’re trying to prove here.

With all due respect, I don't think you do. You seem to believe that unless something is written as 100% confirmed it is somehow meaningless or irrelevant.
Instead of looking at the bigger picture and seeing the general direction in which the hints are pointing, you choose to demand a burden of proof that wouldn't be amiss in a court of law, and then summarily dismiss each one irregardless of their quality and validity, and then to proudly declare there is nothing of note.

I have a genuine question for you, I don't want this to come across as combative I'm just genuinely curious. If the 8th region is revealed to be the UK, will you continue to just write off all the hints and high profile characters such as Duncan and Toby as a lucky guess out of 190+ countries they all managed to pick the right one or would you concede that actually they or someone else along the line did have insider info?

"Unbeatable" originally included shots Munchlax, Weavile, Mime Jr. and Lucario originally, but they were removed later. Mime Jr. and Munchlax were understandable since they spoiled their captures in the anime, and Lucario because the movie had not aired in the US at the moment. I still don't know why they had to remove Weavile.

EDIT: Here are the pics:

Munchlax was not removed, my bad.
Oh... I think the list just covers their very first reveals overall- the Lucario movie aired in Japan ahead of the clips in the anime opening.

With all due respect, I don't think you do. You seem to believe that unless something is written as 100% confirmed it is somehow meaningless or irrelevant.
Instead of looking at the bigger picture and seeing the general direction in which the hints are pointing, you choose to demand a burden of proof that wouldn't be amiss in a court of law, and then summarily dismiss each one irregardless of their quality and validity, and then to proudly declare there is nothing of note.
...Oh my god.

We have no “hints” for the UK anymore than we do for any other country. Everything that is touted as a “hint” here is either a coincidence or massive reaching.

I have a genuine question for you, I don't want this to come across as combative I'm just genuinely curious. If the 8th region is revealed to be the UK, will you continue to just write off all the hints and high profile characters such as Duncan and Toby as a lucky guess out of 190+ countries they all managed to pick the right one or would you concede that actually they or someone else along the line did have insider info?
This is just plain embarrassing.

Honey, this Duncan dude is one of 100s of people who are currently spouting about a UK region. He didn’t even say anything beyond that- just “hey guys the next region is based on the uk i know nothing more k bye”. If the next region does turn out to be based on the UK he deserves no more credit than any other random 4chan leaker that said the same thing.

And let’s be honest here, you’re only believing these “””””hints””””” and youtubers because they’re saying what you want to hear (ie uk region). Confirmation bias at its finest.

So when is that "Pokemon A" toy supposed to be revealed? Paul Ryan said late January.

As far as Japan is concerned, I don't think that a single Pokemon appeared in a movie out of the blue. Donphan, for instance, was revealed in March 1997 well before Movie 1 was even announced. I'm pretty sure that CoroCoro covered Marill and Snubbull in 1998, too.

I still don't know why they had to remove Weavile.
Because like Lucario, Weavile was only included in that opening to promote the movie, where those two, Bonsly and Mime Jr. debuted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom