• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Red and Blue were boys, Green is a girl
Gold and Silver were boys, Crystal is as girl
Ruby is a boy, Sapphire is a girl
Diamond and Pearl were boys, Platinum is a girl
Black and Black 2 were boys, White and White 2 were girls
X is a boy, Y is a girl
Sun is a boy, Moon is a girl
Sword will be a boy, Shield will be a girl.
I mostly wanted the opposite to go against the "boys are offensive, girls are defensive/supportive" stereotype.

Watching the trailer again and something I've noticed is that apparently the Pokéball-esque symbol that appears on the Japanese logos (which is also the one that appears on the baseball-like attire worn by the PC) is the same as the symbol in front of the gym (that is, if the stadium with a leaf on top is really a Gym). So, if that's the case, not only did they change the logo of Pokémon Gyms again (which is a shame, cause I actually liked the BW logo), but they also seem to have turned the gyms into a combination of sports-themed events (which, now that I look up closer, actually reassemble the Olympics) and traditional Gym battles.

Watching the trailer again and something I've noticed is that apparently the Pokéball-esque symbol that appears on the Japanese logos (which is also the one that appears on the baseball-like attire worn by the PC) is the same as the symbol in front of the gym (that is, if the stadium with a leaf on top is really a Gym). So, if that's the case, not only did they change the logo of Pokémon Gyms again (which is a shame, cause I actually liked the BW logo), but they also seem to have turned the gyms into a combination of sports-themed events (which, now that I look up closer, actually reassemble the Olympics) and traditional Gym battles.
That would be interesting if they mixed the sports theme into the gyms. I usually don't like sports being shoved down my throat, but if they make it work I think I can live with it.

Negative:
  • No pokemon in the overworld and following pokemon. Not accepting at all. One of these better be back or I'm gonna be mad with this crazy thing of removing cool features. That's incredibly annoying expecially when you have a good region that could feel alive with all the pokemon running around.
I noticed the lack of people and Pokémon too, even in the big cities, but I wouldn't worry about it for now. I think they wanted to just focus on the enviroment, landmarks, player characters and starters in this trailer. If so, then it would be weird to show a random new Pokémon standing somewhere in the background, or an important character to the story. They'll want to properly introduce those one by one. There's a possibility Pokémon will still appear in the overworld around the region. Following Pokémon seems unlikely now though.

This would fit with the starters being based on baseball players (Runner/Catcher/Beater)

Hopefully we get a Red Squirrel Pokemon, a Christmas Tree Pokemon, a Kangeroo Pokemon and a Capybara Pokemon.

The last two were hinted in Miyamoto's tweets.

I knew there was something iffy with the Pokemon Kid's Channel having a british theme and Miyamoto's hint of cold, wind, rain, snow, renewal, him riding on a bus and pretending to be a bus driver and asking of how did London Bridge is Falling Down go again?

Also

did this a while back, turns out that my guess was as good as gold! Even I'm speechless!

I think they wanted to just focus on the enviroment, landmarks, player characters and starters in this trailer.

I've looked into it and, apparently, both XY and Sun & Moon's reveals (the 2nd one in the latter's case) followed the same pattern. So, again, people should wait for more information to be revealed before jumping to conclusions and saying that they've cut some of the old mechanics (like walking Pokémon).

Kanto: Grass Type
Johto: Rock Type
Hoenn: Fire Type
Sinnoh: Ice Type
Unova: Electric Type
Kalos: Fairy Type
Alola: Water Type
Galar: Steel Type

This is just speculation to each region. I'm sure you can help me here.

I had an idea for a Pokemon game where the Pokemon Champions act as the Region's Gym Leaders before challenging the Pokemon Master Proper.

I've looked into it and, apparently, both XY and Sun & Moon's reveals (the 2nd one in the latter's case) followed the same pattern. So, again, people should wait for more information to be revealed before jumping to conclusions and saying that they've cut some of the old mechanics (like walking Pokémon).
Clearly we need to know more about the games. Clearly there'll be some huge new features. On the other side, I don't see a good reason for them not to show pokemon following you or pokemon found in the overworld. It's not like is something new... they did them last november! They may have decided to cut these features from the trailer (even if the pikachu in shadow leaves really no expectation to overworld pokemon), but that would be a really weird choice. I may accept (not easly) the fixed camera, considering they never introduced it, but If the previous are out, welll, it's another traditional downgrade from the past because if there was something good about Let's go was the feeling of a living region with pokemon all around. Why cut that off? Because they're lazy, the game looks quite good, but let's be honest...
I mean, in 2014 people in Hoenn could not change their clothes because it was Kalos feature. How can we accept this stupid statement?

I just noticed. Perhaps in Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution, Mewtwo would might unlock some new ability, perhaps by the Meltans or something for Sword and Shield?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom